The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 5 May 2010, 06:47 PM   #1
jmr
"TRF" Member

Help for Heathrow

Hi everyone,

We are traveling from the USA (Washington DC) to London/Paris/Belgium and have done a bit of shopping.

We are looking at a Rolex Oyster Datejust, model# 116234 (36mm, Jubilee band, white face, Roman numerals, fluted bezel).

The quote at Harrods and at WofS are the same (3607 British pounds)-- they take about 5% away from the VAT for their processing fee.

Called Mappin and Webb at Heathrow this morning-- even though they are a duty free store they also take away some of the VAT discount for "processing" so instead of 3399 pounds (4120 pounds minus 17.5 percent) they are charging somewhere in the neighborhood of 3500+ pounds.

Is it common in duty free shops to not give a full VAT discount? The price is close to the full VAT refund but I do not want to pay extra if this isn't SOP.

Or does anyone have another good idea? Thanks so much!

Cheers,
Jay
jmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2010, 07:47 PM   #2
Amiamit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex no-date Sub
I have the same query re the retailer at T5. He offers a 15% reduction instead of 17.5%. Any idea why?
Amiamit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2010, 10:08 PM   #3
jchampton

Watch: 116519 WG Daytona
How long will you be in London? If you'll be in town for a few days you may want to call Gassan Diamonds (AD) at London City Airport. I think the guy's name was Andrei. They will give you the full 17.5% off and will ship it to your hotel. You will need to cover shipping. I used them in Feb. of this year. They sent me a JLC, full VAT reduction off of RRP, to my home address. It's a small shop so selection isn't the greatest, but if they've got what you want then it could be an option for you.

Best of luck!
jchampton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2010, 11:42 PM   #4
frank gama
"TRF" Member

Ive bought three Rolexes from Mappin & Webb Heathrow over the years and each time they gave me RRP - VAT down to the penny.
frank gama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2010, 11:53 PM   #5
Puffy
"TRF" Member

They should defo do 17.5% off - if they quote 15% is because they don't know the VAT went back up in January this year.
Old 5 May 2010, 11:54 PM   #6
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

How does this work? Do you have to call ahead?

Also, does it only work if you're traveling to/from the EU, but not within the EU?

For example, if I fly from Paris to London and back, will I get the discount?

TIA.....
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2010, 12:05 AM   #7
Puffy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
How does this work? Do you have to call ahead?

Also, does it only work if you're traveling to/from the EU, but not within the EU?

For example, if I fly from Paris to London and back, will I get the discount?

TIA.....
Just pre-order (call), put down a refundable deposit (I think it's 20%) and pick up when you pass through.

If you fly to/from T5 you can take VAT off - also for domestic

Love it
Old 6 May 2010, 12:10 AM   #8
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
Just pre-order (call), put down a refundable deposit (I think it's 20%) and pick up when you pass through.

If you fly to/from T5 you can take VAT off - also for domestic

Love it

Thank you!

I don't imagine they'll also give discounts on the purchase price.....
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2010, 12:51 AM   #9
superformance
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16=55/65/80s
Look for AMY at Mappin and Webb T3 Heathrow. I am pretty sure she'll give you a sweet deal.
superformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2010, 08:02 AM   #10
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Well, you're not getting 17.5% off because that's not how it's calculated - the 17.5% is on top of the "true" cost, so when you're going back from the cost plus VAT, it's not as simple as taking off 17.5%. The actual amount refunded works out at around 15% of the total cost.

By the way, any dealer can offer the VAT-refund scheme, and so can give you discount on top of the VAT refund. Heathrow probably isn't the best place to buy

Hope this clears things up

Chris
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2010, 08:09 AM   #11
brandxbrand
"TRF" Member

Watch: your back
I wouldn't exactly call that price a good discount. Why nit just wait till back in the states?
brandxbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2010, 09:03 AM   #12
marke
Banned

Watch: Daytona
Mappin and Webb at heathrow T5 give you a full 17.5%discount of the price of the watch, which is is to the vat.

As a company they do not opperate the tourist tax free refund system which charges the purchaser a commission. I recently purchased a watch from them and the receipt just shows a discounted price, no before vat price or discount.

The official line us that you can only purchase hoods a tax free prices if your final destination is outside the EEC so to avoid any issues mappin and Webb just take of 17.5% and they take the hit on the profit as part of the deal they have agreed with BAA

I hope this helps

Mappin and Webb will also give you the discount if you are flying within the Uk and Eu
marke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2010, 09:04 AM   #13
marke
Banned

Watch: Daytona
Sorry about some bad spelling
marke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2010, 04:53 PM   #14
jmr
"TRF" Member

Some things

Thanks for the replies, very helpful!

For those that wrote in the forum that 3500 pounds isn't a 'good deal'- maybe you have access to other AD discounts that I have not been able to find. This is the best price I have seen by at least 100 pounds.

3500 pounds=5320 USD. Our dealers in DC retail the watch for 6500 USD-- if anyone in the States knows of a >20 percent discount (and no sales tax) that would be most appreciated.

Going to Paris today; maybe the Euro fluctuation will be in our favor?

Thanks again!
jmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2010, 05:20 PM   #15
tattooedfagin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Red
i bought some euros earlier this week & in the last 2 days the price has fallen even further....with so much unrest in Greece & the effect this is having on the currency's value the longer you're able to wait the better i imagine..good luck, hope you grab a great deal

TRF Hall of Fame
tattooedfagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2010, 10:26 AM   #16
treat.infamy
"TRF" Member

You'll definitely get all your VAT off at any of the Heathrow stores (Mappins & WoS). It will be around 15% saving but that's cuz V.A.T. (Value ADDED Tax) is put on these prices when sold in the High Street.

The Tax Refund scheme (for tourists) does take an admin charge, so you will lose out there to some degree. On top of that though, there's the paperwork, which you have to get Customs to stamp in order to validate it (and that usually involves a queue longer than the one to get INTO the departures lounge!!!). Personally just being able to buy it and go AT those prices, is great for me.

I've definitely heard they do Tax Free to all destinations now (including UK domestic flights) so I can even buy on my Edinburgh flight.

You will have to call in advance if you want something specific, but apart from the sports models, which they just cannot guarantee availability, they've never let me down.

Hope that puts your mind at rest Jay (and the rest of you) ;)
treat.infamy is offline   Reply With Quote