The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 January 2019, 05:19 PM   #1
highdosage19
"TRF" Member

Brand New Rolex 116610ln stops after 24 hours of no movement.

Hi. I recently purchased a new Rolex Submariner 116610ln. I noticed that after leaving it on my nightstand for 24 hours it stopped working. This was after a week of wearing it for about 8 hours a day (for 5 days). Is this normal? Shouldn't the 48 hr power reserve keep it going for 48 hours without it having to be wound.
I just winded it about 40 full times and am going to wear it again for a few days and put it down and see how long it lasts. I am thinking that I may have not fully wound it for 40 full turns of the crown before I put it on the first time it shut off on me after the 24 hr rest. Thanks and Happy New Year.
highdosage19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 06:39 PM   #2
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
The watch keeps working on your wrist, it doesn't necessarily wind itself to max capacity. Also, you're taking it off and putting it on...it's running down when not on.
The watch has a reserve based on a full winded mainspring. Wearing habits and activity level have a great impact on how much reserve is available.

Your watch is fine. Nothing wrong with it.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 09:16 PM   #3
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Nobody bothers to read it, but inside the very first page of your Submariner instruction booklet, it tells you the first thing you need do is fully wind the watch, at least 25 turns clockwise. It's on the very first page!
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 09:22 PM   #4
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Correct. Fully winding the watch is not the same as wearing on you wrist.

And if not fully wound, and dependent upon level of wrist activity am not surprised it stopped after not wearing for 24 hours.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 11:05 PM   #5
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
You have the answer. Happy New Year and congratulations on a great watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 11:14 PM   #6
Joergen
"TRF" Member

You need to fully wind it. Wearing it on your wrist doesn't necessarily wind it all the way. If it's not fully wound, it will stop within a shorter period of time after leaving it,
Joergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 11:56 PM   #7
bradbyrd1110
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126233
Keep us updated though, interested.
Old 2 January 2019, 03:46 AM   #8
dcash0615
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es
To check the power reserve, fully wind the watch (40 complete rotations of the crown). Set the watch down and don’t touch it until it stops. See how long it ran for. Should be 40 hours or more. I suspect you are fully winding then immediately wearing for a day or two and then taking off and it only runs for 24 hours or so at that point. This is most likely because when you take the watch off it is no longer fully wound.

2FA security active
dcash0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2019, 05:51 AM   #9
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Interesting.
The watch is either faulty, or you live a sedentry life style.

This issue often comes up on this forum.
As a s***s and giggles exercise.
A few weeks ago, I let my DSSD run down to a stop after I had finished wearing it for the day. It was a normal day and it took about 48 hours to run down.
I took note of the time on my watch, and put it back on from a dead stop with no manual winding to wear it normally for a 2 hour period(as measured by the kitchen clock).
I took it off and put it aside noting that the watch had started by winding itself up and also noted the time on the watch.
Now for the really interesting part.
It ran for about 12 hours before stopping again
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2019, 06:03 AM   #10
LesserBlackDog
"TRF" Member

How physically active are you while wearing the watch? If your 8 hours of wrist time is you sitting at a desk, then yeah, I’m not surprised the watch is not getting fully wound.
LesserBlackDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2019, 06:11 AM   #11
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Interesting.
The watch is either faulty, or you live a sedentry life style.
Saying this to a new watch owner is a bit like telling a hypochondriac the tickle in his throat is either due to cancer or a change in the weather. You're giving him reasons to freak out unnecessarily.

OP, you answered your own question in your first post, as confirmed by others here. Give your watch a full wind and observe it properly before reaching any conclusions. Odds are it's just fine.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2019, 06:52 AM   #12
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
I switched from an active, lots of moving job to, a sedate office type position. Almost a soon as I did my Daytona started to stop, while left overnight. I had it fully serviced, assuming it needed it but, I was told that the watch needed no parts and, was perfect, just needing a lubrication. A key question i was asked was “have you become less active?”, which I had. Shortly after I went on vacation, wandering around all day etc. Everything was back to normal throughout the whole vacation. We often overlook how inactive we are, moving a mouse will not wind your rolex adequately:)
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2019, 08:28 AM   #13
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
When you say "full wind" do you mean winding the crown until you reach 40, or 25 or whatever number or the:

COMPLETE 180° rotation of the crown itself.

This is supposedly a very common occurrence which doesn't surprise me because I did the same thing for years. If the crown is not rotated a full 180 degrees, of course we're only winding the watch half the amount turns we've set as our goal.

I'm not sure why your watch is stopping but if it continues off to the RSC it goes. It's a warranty repair, so no cost to you except shipping.

Bon chance mais ami
Mark

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2019, 08:29 AM   #14
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Just wearing it won't wind it full. You need to manually wind it to keep the reserve up.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2019, 03:51 AM   #15
highdosage19
"TRF" Member

So here is an update. For those of you who asked, I fully wound the watch 6 days ago. I wore it for 10 hours and then took it off at 6pm and didnt pick it up until 8am the next morning. I did the same thing every day. I put it on at 8am and would put it down around 5pm. So on average I wore it about 9 hours a day. I lost 1 second over the course of 4 days. Then for the past two days, i let it sit a bit longer. I let it sit for 16 hours and wore it for 6 hours for the past 2 nights and over those days I lost about 6 seconds. So it definitely seems that towards the end of the week, it has lost most of it power reserve. I feel the watch would have stopped after about another 6 hours or so. My job is somewhat active (some sitting at and some walking/using hands).
Old 7 January 2019, 04:01 AM   #16
burnthesehills
"TRF" Member

I don’t find that the power reserve on my brand new Sub is a full 48 hours. I wear it Monday through Friday about 12 hours a day. If I take it off I estimate I get about 40 hours of power reserve before it requires winding but I haven’t thoroughly tested it. I also believe activity level and hours on the wrist play a big factor.

I would fully wind the watch and wear it for 5 days straight as many hours a day as possible. Make sure to move your hand around during the day. Then set it down and see how long your power reserve lasts. If you are getting 40+ I would say that’s reasonable. Less and I would have the AD take a look at it. You should also not be losing more than 2 seconds a day.
burnthesehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2019, 12:38 PM   #17
highdosage19
"TRF" Member

Would I be able to tell if the power reserve is accurate just by fully winding it and letting it sit for 48 hours? If it stops working before 40ish hours than I assume there are issues.
Old 7 January 2019, 12:54 PM   #18
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdosage19 View Post
Would I be able to tell if the power reserve is accurate just by fully winding it and letting it sit for 48 hours? If it stops working before 40ish hours than I assume there are issues.

Yes. Make note of the time/date and set the date/time so that you'll be able to know exactly how long it ran for. Wind it way more than you think you need to so that you know it's fully wound.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 09:37 AM   #19
Ronval
"TRF" Member

Winding Rolex - are you sure 40 complete rotations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcash0615 View Post
To check the power reserve, fully wind the watch (40 complete rotations of the crown). Set the watch down and don’t touch it until it stops. See how long it ran for. Should be 40 hours or more. I suspect you are fully winding then immediately wearing for a day or two and then taking off and it only runs for 24 hours or so at that point. This is most likely because when you take the watch off it is no longer fully wound.
I’m having the same problem are you sure 40 rotations I’ve read 25 rotations. Please clarify I would appreciate it
Ronval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 09:41 AM   #20
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
And you’ve read forty rotations. Go with forty.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 12:25 PM   #21
dannyp
Banned

Pretty much impossible to over-wind, so go 40. Or 50. Or 200.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 12:45 PM   #22
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronval View Post
I’m having the same problem are you sure 40 rotations I’ve read 25 rotations. Please clarify I would appreciate it

Just wind it until you hear the slipping clutch( i think that’s the right term) releasing. You hear a clicking sounds when winding and the mainspring is fully wound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 05:50 PM   #23
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
The watch keeps working on your wrist, it doesn't necessarily wind itself to max capacity. Also, you're taking it off and putting it on...it's running down when not on.
The watch has a reserve based on a full winded mainspring. Wearing habits and activity level have a great impact on how much reserve is available.

Your watch is fine. Nothing wrong with it.
Exactly that, wearing a watch does not wind the watch, its wrist activity to make the winding pendulum swing that winds the mainspring. And most when they manual wind they do it wrong, they should be wound at least 40 full crown turns clockwise only, as they only wind on a forward wind.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 06:04 PM   #24
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote