The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 July 2019, 06:42 AM   #61
pikers
"TRF" Member

I've started to move away from new and vintage Rolex due to the current insanity but I'm also pretty happy with my current Rolex lineup. I recently picked up an Oris Divers 65 (awesome watch btw) and I'll probably pick up a Speedmaster before the month is over, just deciding between vintage or new. Like most forum members, I'd happily pick up a Daytona and Pepsi if they were available but I'm not going to wait for years to get one while plenty of amazing watches are available now.
pikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 06:50 AM   #62
swils8610
2024 Pledge Member

I have not...I’ve always wanted a JLC Reverso. When the time comes I will def consider a Reverso over a Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 06:54 AM   #63
pikers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
What I want to know is how many people have purchased a Rolex because of the shortage.
You can count me in that group. Here's the story...

I had a 14060M 4-liner (full set) for a few years and traded it for a Hulk in 2016. While I liked the Hulk, I found the green limiting so I sold it (regretting that decision now) and just stuck with my 16570 and 114270. The day after Christmas of last year (2018), I was walking through downtown Boston and I saw a 114060 sitting in the window. Yes, you read that correctly, "sitting in a window". I almost broke the door down getting into the shop and asked if the watch was available. They said it was and they had just put it in the window. I purchased the watch on the spot. Was I looking for a 114060? No. But, I figured who the hell knows when I'll ever see one of these available again at an AD without a significant wait or without the AD forcing me to buy a ladies two-tone piece in order to get the watch. I'm really happy I did grab the Sub, it's seen a ton of wrist time since I picked it up. The symmetry of the no-date dial is lovely. The AD was also happy to put me on the Daytona wait list but I'm honestly not sure I'll ever see one. Fingers crossed.
pikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 06:55 AM   #64
Jacentito
"TRF" Member

It has actually opened my mind to haute horology - had an amazing conversation with a Breguet rep. True Works of art. ref 7079 mesmerizes me. For that kind of money, I want it to move me and be more that just about the name that everyone recognizes. I fear that is the main reason Rolex is the way it is whether we admit it or not. Once you get past the name and how others perceive you for wearing it, there are tons of just as good or even better options.
Jacentito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 06:57 AM   #65
c41006
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos
I grew tired of my 116710LN so I traded it for a blue Pelagos. If it wasn’t for the crazy Rolex market I would have traded it for another Rolex.
c41006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 06:58 AM   #66
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
No,just Rolex in 2019.All AD .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 07:29 AM   #67
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNDguy View Post
These two
Beautiful GS!

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 08:05 AM   #68
tomnevers
"TRF" Member

I purchased an Apple Watch and fell in love. I almost never wear any of my Rolexes, Seiko or Swatches any more.

I own three Rolexes and as recently as a year ago I aspired to expand the collection. I visited my AD in NYC inquiring about both the ceramic Daytona and a steel Pepsi GMT the very day each of them was announced. Yet both were obviously elusive.

Just because I want a Daytona doesn’t mean I would ever buy a Datejust. That’s never going to happen. I have been on various watch boards claiming I would not purchase Rolex going forward and so far I have been true to my word.

I love all kinds of watches including cheap stuff. When AW 4 was announced I knew I had to have it. What I didn’t expect: my complete and utter obsession with the watch. It’s the health tracking features I use the most - tracking workouts, sleep, etc. I love having the time, date, weather all on my wrist. I change the strap nearly every single day and I wear it when I am awake and when I am sleeping. My Rolexes sit in a drawer and I will never buy one again. I still enjoy / respect the brand but just not a game I am willing to play. I will keep my sub no date forever but will probably sell the others (vintage OP, DJ)

Last edited by tomnevers; 7 July 2019 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: Added images
tomnevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 08:11 AM   #69
patrickjb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570, 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomnevers View Post
I purchased an Apple Watch and fell in love. I almost never wear any of my Rolexes, Seiko or Swatches any more.

I own three Rolexes and as recently as a year ago I aspired to expand the collection. I visited my AD in NYC inquiring about both the ceramic Daytona and a steel Pepsi GMT the very day each of them was announced. Yet both were obviously elusive.

Just because I want a Daytona doesn’t mean I would ever buy a Datejust. That’s never going to happen. I have been on various watch boards claiming I would not purchase Rolex going forward and so far I have been true to my word.

I love all kinds of watches including cheap stuff. When AW 4 was announced I knew I had to have it. What I didn’t expect: my complete and utter obsession with the watch. It’s the health tracking features I use the most - tracking workouts, sleep, etc. I love having the time, date, weather all on my wrist. I change the strap nearly every single day and I wear it when I am awake and when I am sleeping. My Rolexes sit in a drawer and I will never buy one again. I still enjoy / respect the brand but just not a game I am willing to play. I will keep my sub no date forever but will probably sell the others (vintage OP, DJ)

How dare you spew this blasphemy?!

Just kidding, AW4 is good tech - not my cup of tea, as I feel I’d be too connected (if that’s even a thing).
patrickjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 08:13 AM   #70
drjrhc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Calibre 11 Monaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
IWC, AP and Omega are the 3 brands I have started to look at more.

IWC perpetual calendar is an amazing piece for the price. THAT is a watch worth its price over the ludicrous pricing of some Rolex's I'm seeing.
Could not have said it better myself! Will pick up one myself in next 1-2 years.

J
drjrhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 08:30 AM   #71
Jacentito
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I do not get the same organic joy from my Apple Watch. I like the mechanical attributes of my non-microprocessor watches. Its probably why 3 of 4 cars I own are manual transmission and the automatic is a Toyota Land Cruiser - something that may last longer than your or I. But, to each their own.
Jacentito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 08:43 AM   #72
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

Picked up an AP RO I wanted, but not because of any Rolex "shortage".
Old 7 July 2019, 08:48 AM   #73
cuibono
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS SkyD
Quote:

Totally get it. But I can't be bothered to have another device to charge (hence why I'm still wired to the 3.5mm jack) Also don't really want to be even more tethered to my phone and tech. I may get a fitbit or something that's geared to health that's not connected to my phone, text, whatsapp etc.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
cuibono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 09:09 AM   #74
tomnevers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuibono View Post
Totally get it. But I can't be bothered to have another device to charge (hence why I'm still wired to the 3.5mm jack) Also don't really want to be even more tethered to my phone and tech. I may get a fitbit or something that's geared to health that's not connected to my phone, text, whatsapp etc.

I wear my AW literally all day and night. I charge it when I am getting ready in the morning. It takes like 1 hour for a full charge so even 30 mins of charge gives you a lot of battery. AW4 battery will last 18-24 hours of normal use. Totally off topic but since you said you were wedded to the 3.5mm headphone jack...Airpods are also amazing and the AirPod / Apple Watch is a better combo than peanut butter and chocolate.

I thought I would be doing a lot more ‘messages’ on my AW. But it’s actually much more weather and health stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tomnevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 09:17 AM   #75
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I own and buy other brands but not because of any Rolex shortage. I recently purchased my first Omega, new but not from an AD. I know if I was looking for a chrono I'd be looking at a VC when compared to the Daytona situation.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 09:18 AM   #76
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
I've never been limited to the Rolex brand, nor have I been limited to luxury watches.

I bought a couple of nice Orient Bambino watches around Christmastime.

I just buy what I like when I see it. If I don't see it, or can't afford it if I do see it, I don't buy it.
Is that the white or cream dial with the blue hands? And how do you like it? About to pull the trigger on the cream.
WS9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 09:23 AM   #77
cuibono
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS SkyD
Quote:
I wear my AW literally all day and night. I charge it when I am getting ready in the morning. It takes like 1 hour for a full charge so even 30 mins of charge gives you a lot of battery. AW4 battery will last 18-24 hours of normal use. Totally off topic but since you said you were wedded to the 3.5mm headphone jack...Airpods are also amazing and the AirPod / Apple Watch is a better combo than peanut butter and chocolate.

I thought I would be doing a lot more ‘messages’ on my AW. But it’s actually much more weather and health stuff.

Stepped outside. Weather is great :-)
Checked the time as a bonus.

cuibono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 09:35 AM   #78
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ks6pd View Post
Is that the white or cream dial with the blue hands? And how do you like it? About to pull the trigger on the cream.
It's a cream dial.

I have four Bambino watches and I love them all.

The one with the cream dial and the blued hands has the winding and hacking movement.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Old 7 July 2019, 09:44 AM   #79
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
It's a cream dial.

I have four Bambino watches and I love them all.

The one with the cream dial and the blued hands has the winding and hacking movement.

Beautiful. I was happy to see they came out with the gen 2 movements that hack. I love my defender, just wish it hacked. When they update it I’ll be first in line. Although, if it wasn’t for the defender, I wouldn’t have snagged a Hamilton khaki which I adore

WS9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 09:48 AM   #80
Wmesallem
"TRF" Member

I’ve always been a guy who bought watches that I liked. Since 2016 I’ve purchased white tag gc, Schumacher red speedie (second hand), moon watch, another speedie and a new seamaster. Still hoping for a crash where I can buy a particular cartier that retails foe 600k for pennies on the dollar (but I really don’t think that will ever happen).

Wmesallem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 09:59 AM   #81
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ks6pd View Post
Beautiful. I was happy to see they came out with the gen 2 movements that hack. I love my defender, just wish it hacked. When they update it I’ll be first in line. Although, if it wasn’t for the defender, I wouldn’t have snagged a Hamilton khaki which I adore

I love my Khaki, too.

Old 7 July 2019, 10:08 AM   #82
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
I have purchased a couple of other brand watches as an indirect consequence of lack of availability.
But the next Rolex I want is rather hard to get anyway.
I have turned down a couple of Rolex watches that were offered to me both of which were also hard to get but as I was non-committal on them in the first place it was of no consequence except to reinforce my desire for a particular reference.
It will come in due course, so no problem for me.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 10:11 AM   #83
77T
2024 Pledge Member

I bought a Volvo because of the shortage but it’s too large on my wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 10:13 AM   #84
DavePryor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Bluesy
Icon6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
We have all complained about it for sure, and IMHO rightfully so, and we can debate for decades (probably will) about the ethics and tactics and strategy etc. And, we have all made threatening statements like: “I am through with Rolex! I will not put accept either being put on a nine-year wait list or being forced to pay double MSRP to a Gray dealer to get the sport model I want” I COMPLETELY agree by the way, what Rolex is doing boarders on the ridiculous, but have any TRFers actually gone out and purchased a different manufacturer because of all this Bull$)@(? If so, please, share your story and which watch you went with instead of the Rolex you were seeking; (and for this thread, Tudor also counts as a “non-Rolex”)

Not so far. I already had a Navitimer, and the Nomos GMT I have is a very clever solution to dual time zones.

That being said I would like an Explorer and the Pepsi watch. But I’ll never pay more than msrp. No hurry.
DavePryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 10:17 AM   #85
wjrw592
"TRF" Member

Watch: What time is it?
I wanted a new Rolex but with the current lack of inventory and AD behavior, I looked at Omega, GS and IWC and ended up with the new Omega 300 SMP and love it!

I guess the days of the SS tool Rolex are slipping away . . . no sure why though.
Old 7 July 2019, 10:23 AM   #86
Reloko
"TRF" Member

No need to wait on Rolex when there are other alternatives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reloko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 10:24 AM   #87
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Nope, I don't believe in settling unless it is completely irrational. For example, I know I'm not getting $50k 4 digit references so buying a newer reference does not fit my definition of settling.

Thankfully, there is no Rolex watch that is hard to get that I desire. I wanted a Sub and got it just before things got way out of hand. I wanted a GMT and ended up getting a 16710 that I like more than the modern references. If it was readily available, I'd probably have gotten the new Pepsi as it would cost the same as my 16710 and it would be brand new. Now that I have a 16710, I could care less.

I like the JC a lot which is hard to get but certainly not impossible. It's too expensive and more importantly too big so that's out of the picture. Don't care about the Sky-Dweller, again too big. Daytona isn't my style as I've realized chronographs aren't my thing. I do really like the older references but again I'm not a millionaire so it's not happening.

The only 2 modern references left that I really like are the Milgauss and Explorer I. I can get either of those on these forums for less than retail used. It's great to simply like what you like and not what is the hottest model.
007_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 10:26 AM   #88
Duke of Dulwich
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 116713
I had the funds to buy my wife a DJ, however her lack of interest in watches put me off buying her the watch and I bought her a bag instead which was much cheaper. I then asked my AD if he could get me the SS BLRO as the money was burning a hole in my pocket. I was so disappointed with the reaction, I decided to buy a Panerai instead which was a brand I had been tracking for a while, however never taken the plunge with. It’s been a blessing because I have been so happy with my new Pam 797 which I am loving as much as any of my Rolexes.
Duke of Dulwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 10:41 AM   #89
Muxi
"TRF" Member

I admire the members here who could easily find satisfaction in other brands. I have been trying my hardest to do that, not much out of the current situation, but more from Rolex fatigue. The shape and feel of a Rolex, its bevels, edges and lugs, are getting to be too familiar.

Sadly, after much research on Ap and GS, I still could not get myself to pull the trigger. For the RO, I can’t find the perfect dial size. GS sport models are simply too big for my liking. The water resistance of Ap and non-sport GS is also a deal-breaker for me.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 10:50 AM   #90
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

i find it really funny when people that have an apple watch check the same stuff on their watch and phone seconds apart lol. i'm 27 and already connected to my phone way too much so as much as i respect people liking the apple watch i can't imagine being that strapped in. glad people are finding alternatives though

fortunately i don't need to or care to track my steps and fitness stuff so sticking with the rolexes for now...
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote