The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 10 May 2021, 05:42 AM   #1
dannyp
Banned

"Honestly, don't sell it"

Walked into/called a couple of ADs last week to get a sense of what kind of trade-in value my 16570 would fetch. Two of them (one in-person, one on the phone) essentially said: "Don't sell it, it's discontinued and will only go up in value."

The in-person had made a very low-ball offer (given that mine has box/papers and 3186).

My assumption was that they just aren't that interested in trade-ins at the time but is the old Explorer II becoming genuinely collectible? My second assumption was that the recent rise in value had less to do with the collectability of the watch, and more to do with the old version being a "third best" when new ones or pre-owned current models weren't available.

So, either it's the exact right time to sell one, or the exact wrong time... Any of the serious collectors care to share thoughts (in general, not looking to discuss pricing specific to mine in any way here)?
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 06:12 AM   #2
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Any older Rolex is perceived an investment now. And they likely don’t want to insult you but still want to sell to you in the future.

Make sense that they’d say that rather than risk losing people on trade and wholesale values vs perceived resale values.

Keep it simple.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 06:14 AM   #3
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
I prefer the keep it option.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 06:15 AM   #4
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Most dealers are always for a freebie and to screw you.....hence the lowball offer for a 3186 full set
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 06:37 AM   #5
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
The in-person had made a very low-ball offer (given that mine has box/papers and 3186).

Curious how much they offer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 09:39 AM   #6
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Your class is showing.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 09:53 AM   #7
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
Greys are despicable. There’s no doubt about that. They seriously think everybody is a F**King moron and that they are the only smart geniuses around. If you had sold them your watch, go to their website and see how much they resell it for. That’s how much they are low-balling you.

I will never buy from a grey and would be prefer to sell direct to a watch person knowing it’s going to a good owner.
Danny was referring to an AD

An AD makes about 40% profit on a new Rolex, think a lot of grey sellers would settle for such margins.
Old 10 May 2021, 10:02 AM   #8
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Your class is showing.
Yeah I don’t have class. I admit that. Class is for people who don’t have to fight a day in their life for what they want. A little bit of elbows out and people will say we lack class. I take that on my chin and am proud of it.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 01:48 PM   #9
10XRolex
2024 Pledge Member

Man do I love honesty.

Quote:
Yeah I don’t have class. I admit that. Class is for people who don’t have to fight a day in their life for what they want. A little bit of elbows out and people will say we lack class. I take that on my chin and am proud of it.
10XRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 02:20 PM   #10
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Greys are despicable. There’s no doubt about that. They seriously think everybody is a F**King moron and that they are the only smart geniuses around. If you had sold them your watch, go to their website and see how much they resell it for. That’s how much they are low-balling you.

I will never buy from a grey and would be prefer to sell direct to a watch person knowing it’s going to a good owner.
sounds like you had a bad experience. I'd ask you about it but it seems too soon to talk about
hambone1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 05:51 PM   #11
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Take it on the chin if you must but you don’t have to take the Forum down to your level.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 07:21 PM   #12
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
Most dealers are always for a freebie and to screw you.....hence the lowball offer for a 3186 full set
They are in business to make a profit for themselves, not the person they are buying from. Every business wants to buy low and sell high. That's capitalism, not being screwed.

Trouble is consumers want to have their cake and eat it - be paid top dollar when they sell, and pay rock bottom when they buy.

Anybody that wants a larger slice of the pie is free to sell the watch privately themselves.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 08:41 PM   #13
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Sell in haste, repent at leisure.
Speedbird-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 08:44 PM   #14
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I was with you....
Right up until the, 'language'.
Old 10 May 2021, 08:54 PM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
They are in business to make a profit for themselves, not the person they are buying from. Every business wants to buy low and sell high. That's capitalism, not being screwed.

Trouble is consumers want to have their cake and eat it - be paid top dollar when they sell, and pay rock bottom when they buy.

Anybody that wants a larger slice of the pie is free to sell the watch privately themselves.
Have to agree
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 08:57 PM   #16
Goin2drt
Banned

Quote:
they are in business to make a profit for themselves, not the person they are buying from. Every business wants to buy low and sell high. That's capitalism, not being screwed.

amen!!!!!
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 09:20 PM   #17
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
My experience is varied depending on who I am trying to deal with. I have found that one local AD is very fair in valuation of watches but several others are less so. I believe that a lot of retail sellers of pre-owned watches are not looking to deal with informed consumers and will move you along even if you use respect and data. I have found that across the board that our Trusted Sellers here are the best for valuation of preowned pieces and most are spot on. The challenge is when dealing with buyers you must evaluate your watch for true value, not some blown up Chrono24 price. Contact a few Trusted Sellers and see what they will give you.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 09:23 PM   #18
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I've never quite seen the point of having
a cake, and not wanting to eat it.
Old 10 May 2021, 09:29 PM   #19
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Your class is showing.
Lol, what a laughable comment!
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
, Seiko: SRPA21,
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 12:03 AM   #20
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yea yea.....they screw you on price them advertise as the super rare new 3186 movement and charge double.....and as you walk in they say “ oh that’s the new movement they are shitty check out all the complaints on the forum about how they are worse than the 3135”
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 03:44 AM   #21
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Black 16570 is my favorite Exp2, in fact yesterday was spending the morning with some friends, one of which has a like new one that he bought back in 2008 or so I think. I just love seeing that on him and told him how the new Exp2 has gone back to that style again, that he should NEVER sell his watch (or sell it to me if he ever decides to sell.)

I have regretted every Rolex that I sold, which has been three of them:

first one was the original datejust that I traded in towards my current bluesy. At the time I was a one watch man, and couldn't justify having a nice watch sitting at home in the safe. Who does that? LOL!!!

Second one was the wife's 26mm diamond dial DJ, which I sold only because she had upgraded to larger sizes and she told me she would never wear that size ever again. This one frankly I don't regret much, now that I think about it.

Third one was the MK1 Exp1, which I only sold quickly because: it was wife's daily, and she changed to her daytona, and I found it was not getting any wrist time from me, and wife also suggested that for her it was kind of a boring black dial watch (so no future wrist time expected from her.) I sold it only to fund a DJ2 blue dial that was being sold locally, except my wife suggested, after I sold it, that instead of that DJ2 we shoudl look at the diamond dial DJ41 blue dial for her. Which we went and we did look (readily available in AD at the time), and she decided to think about it. Anyway, I had sold that watch and got no replacement. That I consider a BIG LOSS now.

I said all this, to bring the point: do not sell your Rolex if you don't have to.

And

if you have to sell it, you are at the right place (here), post it up and try and sell it yourself to some well known member of this forum.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 04:44 AM   #22
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I’m not a serious collector, but between me and my husband we have five Rolex watches. I’d say if you don’t need the money, don’t sell it. If you have any kids, then definitely don’t sell. Other than needing the money, if you’re at that point in life where you want to pare down your possessions (I admit I’m far from that point), then if it’s a philosophical/lifestyle issue, sell it, perhaps here on TRF. Good luck!
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 05:56 AM   #23
dannyp
Banned

To clarify, I'm only going to ADs on this since I'm considering trading it towards one or two that I'd likely wear more (and my interest is in acquiring watches from ADs instead of grey/used).
Old 11 May 2021, 06:20 AM   #24
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
When I traded in my collection on the Platona, the Exp II and the SD4K were the two watches they really low balled on. I kept them and they didn't seem to notice or care. Neither of them are particularly hot regardless of how short the production run of the SD4K was. Selling on this forum is likely to get someone who actually is interested in the watch as opposed to a company that might feel burdened by it.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 06:40 AM   #25
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
When I traded in my collection on the Platona, the Exp II and the SD4K were the two watches they really low balled on. I kept them and they didn't seem to notice or care. Neither of them are particularly hot regardless of how short the production run of the SD4K was. Selling on this forum is likely to get someone who actually is interested in the watch as opposed to a company that might feel burdened by it.
True. However I'm willing to take a 20% haircut off the "market" price right off the bat if trading. 10% for convenience/the fees charged by Chrono24 et al and 10% for the IL state sales tax saved (sales tax charged only on cash portion of transaction, like with a car).
Old 11 May 2021, 06:54 AM   #26
Brich436
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270
I still remember when my AD was thrilled to sell me my 16570 for 12% off! Also wanted to get rid of the green LV sub! Hahahahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
124270 "R#" Explorer 1
79030B Black Bay 58
Brich436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 06:56 AM   #27
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brich436 View Post
I still remember when my AD was thrilled to sell me my 16570 for 12% off! Also wanted to get rid of the green LV sub! Hahahahaha

Bought mine during the Great Recession. 20% off. Could get a discount on anything but a Daytona, and those were available by, get this, asking... I was in a store and enquired just for fun, and the dealer basically implied he had both colors in the back if I was interested.
Old 11 May 2021, 06:57 AM   #28
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
I've never quite seen the point of having
a cake, and not wanting to eat it.
Fair point
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 08:33 AM   #29
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
Black 16570 is my favorite Exp2, in fact yesterday was spending the morning with some friends, one of which has a like new one that he bought back in 2008 or so I think. I just love seeing that on him and told him how the new Exp2 has gone back to that style again, that he should NEVER sell his watch (or sell it to me if he ever decides to sell.)

I have regretted every Rolex that I sold, which has been three of them:

first one was the original datejust that I traded in towards my current bluesy. At the time I was a one watch man, and couldn't justify having a nice watch sitting at home in the safe. Who does that? LOL!!!

Second one was the wife's 26mm diamond dial DJ, which I sold only because she had upgraded to larger sizes and she told me she would never wear that size ever again. This one frankly I don't regret much, now that I think about it.

Third one was the MK1 Exp1, which I only sold quickly because: it was wife's daily, and she changed to her daytona, and I found it was not getting any wrist time from me, and wife also suggested that for her it was kind of a boring black dial watch (so no future wrist time expected from her.) I sold it only to fund a DJ2 blue dial that was being sold locally, except my wife suggested, after I sold it, that instead of that DJ2 we shoudl look at the diamond dial DJ41 blue dial for her. Which we went and we did look (readily available in AD at the time), and she decided to think about it. Anyway, I had sold that watch and got no replacement. That I consider a BIG LOSS now.

I said all this, to bring the point: do not sell your Rolex if you don't have to.

And

if you have to sell it, you are at the right place (here), post it up and try and sell it yourself to some well known member of this forum.
The “envy” factor is mutual. I’ve been lusting after your new Explorer I (which is one of the two I’d be looking to trade mine towards).
Old 11 May 2021, 08:35 AM   #30
Brich436
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
The “envy” factor is mutual. I’ve been lusting after your new Explorer I (which is one of the two I’d be looking to trade mine towards).

Hold onto that 16570 man.... you will miss it!

Add the 124270 down the line. No rush.

124270 "R#" Explorer 1
79030B Black Bay 58
Brich436 is offline   Reply With Quote