The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 May 2021, 03:04 AM   #1
vintage213
"TRF" Member

How to start

As I get into mid age, my wife suggested that I start wearing an "age appropriate" watch. I've been lurking here for over a month and I am more confused as ever! If someone's patient enough to guide me along the way, I'd really appreciate it.

Firstly Rolex categorizes watches into 2, classic and professional.
According to Rolex, professional models are "true tool watches designed to meet specific professional and sporting needs in the fields of diving, racing, navigating, exploring and aviation."

So what do the explorer and GMT offer? They seem more to classic line? On that note, I feel the sky dweller should be considered "professional"?

I'm just trying to determine where to even start. For a complete newb like me, what is a recommended model to go after?
vintage213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2021, 03:53 AM   #2
Ecandrew
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi
The answer is simple, but not easy: the one you want. Figuring that out is the hard part. Personally, it took me a couple tries to figure out the watch that was “best” for me. Probably not unique.
Ecandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2021, 04:19 AM   #3
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

How to start

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage213 View Post

So what do the explorer and GMT offer? They seem more to classic line? On that note, I feel the sky dweller should be considered "professional"?

I'm just trying to determine where to even start. For a complete newb like me, what is a recommended model to go after?

The Explorer lineup has 2 models. One was created as a sport watch to be more rugged than the average classic DateJust. The second model called the Explorer II was designed originally for spelunkers or others who wouldn’t see the sun for extended periods and needed to know daylight hours from nighttime - e.g., is it 1pm or 1am? Now that second model has become a popular replacement for tracking two time zones.

The GMT is a professional model designed for pilots originally. Back then we didn’t have GPS smart devices tracking timezones. Pilots needed to stay up with actual GMT for logging events during flight despite crossing multiple timezones in their flight segments.

The SkyDweller is an annual calendar and date function as well a timezone tracker for those globetrotters who need such data. It’s like a hybrid crossover blurring the lines. Really not associated with a sport or profession so Rolex puts it into classic category.

You’d need to give us your CV and upcoming 5 yr. plan for us to say which fits your profile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2021, 04:21 AM   #4
sj24k
"TRF" Member

yeah, i'd worry less about how rolex classifies watches and spend some time determining what fits your style and desires. the reality is most rolex watches are hard to come by from authorized dealers these days. the first thing i would recommend is determine your budget. once you have that set, take a look at how that matches up with your desired models. assume the watch you want won't be easy to get in a speedy manner. so, then take a look at the secondary market to determine the actual market value. then see how that aligns with your budget. along the way, you might want to consider other brands. nothing magical about rolex. there are lots of other brands out there. some easier to acquire and some harder. some less expensive and some more. it's a huge watch world. rolex has become hyper-competitive and most of the so called "hot" models go to big spenders and people with long histories. BUT, most models are readily available if you're willing to pay a premium. as an example, a SS daytona or GMT can takes years to acquire at MSRP, but can be on your wrist tomorrow if you're willing to pay the grey market premium. other models, like datejusts, OPs, can be had easier and quicker. it really depends. If you want to step up to precious metals, they'll cost you a lot more obviously, but some of those are easier to obtain. Some, not all. Two-tone metals are generally the easiest to obtain. But some those are tough too. No matter what though, only buy what you love, don't listen to anyone else's opinions on "value" and take your time to make sure you're doing what YOU want to do. In the end, they're just watches. good luck!
sj24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2021, 04:28 AM   #5
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Your wife tells you what type of watch to wear?
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2021, 04:38 AM   #6
SaddleSC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
I think you are getting hung up on minutiae that is largely irrelevant. What difference does it make which category or classification Rolex places a certain model in? Choose a model that you personally like the look of and that fits well on your wrist. That is all that really matters...forget all the other marketing nonsense.
Old 27 May 2021, 04:41 AM   #7
RUSH2689
"TRF" Member

Watch: Recon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post
RUSH2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2021, 04:42 AM   #8
krchrist
"TRF" Member

Watch: tbd
Quote:
normally i agree with this, but i really wish my wife told me to buy watches
krchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2021, 04:46 AM   #9
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
As I get into mid age, my wife suggested that I start wearing an "age appropriate" watch. I've been lurking here for over a month and I am more confused as ever! If someone's patient enough to guide me along the way, I'd really appreciate it.

Firstly Rolex categorizes watches into 2, classic and professional.
According to Rolex, professional models are "true tool watches designed to meet specific professional and sporting needs in the fields of diving, racing, navigating, exploring and aviation."

It’s not about how old you are, it’s about how old you feel.
Take your time looking and trying every model possible, don’t exclude anything and then let your eyes, heart and wrist show you the watch that suits them like a glove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27 May 2021, 04:49 AM   #10
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaddleSC View Post
I think you are getting hung up on minutiae that is largely irrelevant. What difference does it make which category or classification Rolex places a certain model in? Choose a model that you personally like the look of and that fits well on your wrist. That is all that really matters...forget all the other marketing nonsense.
+1 to some extent.

There's also the romantic side of things, the history and the marketing attached to each type of watch. Does OP like water sports, snorkeling, diving? Or perhaps he follows motorsports. Does he enjoy hiking? These things can influence what type of watch can attract him the most, e.g. a rugged diver, a chronograph or something smaller and more comfy to wear when walking long distances. Looks also play a big part of course.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2021, 04:49 AM   #11
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As I get into mid age, my wife suggested that I start wearing an "age appropriate" watch.

Sure you need a new watch?
saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2021, 04:51 AM   #12
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

What exactly is an age appropriate watch?
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2021, 04:55 AM   #13
CharlesN
"TRF" Member

Watch: I love them all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
What exactly is an age appropriate watch?
One that tells the time correctly.

You are as old as you can feel !
CharlesN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2021, 05:17 AM   #14
karwath
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570 white
First, let me say that a spouse not only putting up with you buying a new watch, but instructing you to do so, and telling you to buy one that is not a cheapo watch like what some kid would wear, but an expensive "age appropriate" watch, makes you a very lucky person. Any one who suggests otherwise is just jealous.

As others have said, find the one you like and buy that, and do not worry about the "classification" of the watch by Rolex or anyone else.

But, here are some important considerations.

1. Will you want to wear the watch in circumstances where it might be exposed to water, or even submerged in water? Are you someone who would want to wear the watch while snorkeling or diving or do you enjoy boating, etc. The watches made for diving and use on the water might suit your your lifestyle (Submariner, Yachtmaster, etc.)

2. Are you someone who travels, and if so, do you find yourself wanting to know not only what time it is where you are, but also the time at home? The Explorer 2 or the GMT 2, or the Sky Dweller are likely good candidates.

3. Do you want a watch that is robust, has a decent amount of water resistance, is classic in design, but is more of an every day watch that would wear well with just about anything from formal to casual? Then the datejust models might be a good option. One nice thing about the datejust models is they come in various sizes (most likely a 36mm or 41mm would be good options for most men, but also smaller versions are available if you have a small wrist). The datejusts are likely the most versatile of the line up. They are water resistant to 100 meters. You can get an all steel watch with a simple dial and a smooth steel bezel and a steel oyster bracelet, or you can go for a bit more and select a diamond hour marker dial with a fluted gold bezel and a jubilee bracelet, all in many different colors. The Rolex website is terrific -- it lets you see different configurations.

4. Does having an "age appropriate watch" mean a gold or platinum case and bracelet? Would having the date and day of the week on the dial be an appealing feature? Look at the day date aka the President.

5. If you want a chronograph watch so you will have a "stop watch" built in to your wrist watch, so you can time your personal best record driving your sports car at a track event, or time the steaks on the grill down to the second, your choice is easy, the Daytona.

Of course having only one watch is not required. Let the spouse know that you asked and the middle aged guys all said they have more than one age appropriate watch, and so you really need to get a few.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt.
karwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2021, 05:20 AM   #15
vh2k
"TRF" Member

I go through this exercise with my friends and colleagues all the time. PM me... and I’ll do a free consultation. I’m in OC next month.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2021, 05:24 AM   #16
zjd168
"TRF" Member

Rolex nowadays doesn't seem like a right brand to start the hobby. Regardless of the definition or category they are moot points, most if not all models aren't available to purchase unless you want to pay the grey premium.

On the other hand, to answer the question directly, a black sub (if you can find one w great price) is always a great way to start, if you are still confused and need more time to decide what will be the best for your style.
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2021, 05:24 AM   #17
AllBusiness
"TRF" Member

"Classic" and "Professional" are somewhat outmoded categorization schemes. Yes, different series have different attributes: different materials, different complications, different depth ratings, etc. Rolexes were more tool-oriented in past decades, but in the year of our Lord 2021, Rolex watches are one thing: luxury items. Look for the one that you like and can afford.
AllBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2021, 05:25 AM   #18
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
What watch do you have now that’s “not age appropriate”?

MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2021, 05:26 AM   #19
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
Quote:
And “age appropriate “!

What’s she saying really is……you old hockey puck, better hurry, now or never!

In my case it would be the Mickey Mouse Rolex!
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2021, 06:29 AM   #20
rustyyas
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Well I'd first recommend figuring out a price range. That will narrow down your choices and then start deciding what model you like within your budget.
rustyyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2021, 06:44 AM   #21
vintage213
"TRF" Member

Lol nice to meet you all.

I have 3 things that tell me time, my phone, my Galaxy watch, and my wife. None of them I get a strong desire to stare at and admire (well wife is of course exception but when she's telling me what time it is, it's often not for a good situation).
She's been telling me to get a "nice" age appropriate watch, which means luxury (I assume. actually never asked what she means. It's one of those it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission lol)

Anyway, that out of the way, I don't have one particular thing I enjoy the most. I just enjoy a wide variety of activities - scuba diving, hiking, HPDE, camping, BBQ'ing. I am not really looking for my watch to be a tool actually, that the Galaxy can do the best than any rolex I feel. I guess I am just looking for a nice lux watch I can stare at over a drink and wear.

And this has been a terrible time to get into watches as I can't try on anything, let alone see in person. I've been to a couple of jewelry stores that sell watches and they have Omega, Panerai and such, but absolutely no Rolex. Generally what's a beginner's Rolex?
vintage213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2021, 10:17 AM   #22
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
What watch do you have now that’s “not age appropriate”?

Exactly, we need to start with that. For wives, I think the rule is half your age +7.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2021, 10:32 AM   #23
Cambo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Grand Seiko
If you do decide on a Rolex, forget the labels and get the one that sings to you (and your wife if applicable).
Taking budget into consideration of course (again for the sake of a healthy marriage)
Old 27 May 2021, 10:34 AM   #24
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecandrew View Post
The answer is simple, but not easy: the one you want. Figuring that out is the hard part. Personally, it took me a couple tries to figure out the watch that was “best” for me. Probably not unique.
This
Old 27 May 2021, 10:36 AM   #25
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Nice welcome for a new member
Old 27 May 2021, 10:37 AM   #26
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
The Classic and Professional categories loosely organize the product line into the watches that have a more "dressy" edge (i.e. classic line) versus watches that have a more "sporty" edge (professional line). Frankly, the lines are a little blurred because the sports Rolex can often pass as dressy in many circumstances, and the classic Rolex often have a very sporty aesthetic. They share the same movements, so you get a robust, reliable, awesome movement no matter what.

The truth is, even owning just 1 Rolex, ANY Rolex for that matter, gives you nearly all the goodness of the entire product line. There's so much overlap in the case designs, the high quality bracelets and their fantastic clasps, the superb wearing experience, waterproofness to 100m. So you don't need to agonize too much. They are all fantastic pieces.

Of course, there are important distinctions that can help you narrow down to the most reasonable selection for your individual taste. Do you want something with a date? Do you prefer lumed markers, or Roman numerals? How big is your wrist, and what size watch are you interested in getting? Does dial color play a factor? What about case construction (steel, precious metal, yellow gold rose gold etc). What type of bracelet are you more interested in (brushed oyster, jubilee, oyster with polished center links, or president bracelet)... etc.

As an all-around, true-to-form prototypic Rolex, I think the models that make the most sense for a new buyer are going to be a Datejust or Submariner. These could easily be the only watch you'd ever need and a true lifetime/keepsake piece.
TimeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2021, 10:39 AM   #27
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I wish my wife would tell me to wear a Rolex.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2021, 10:41 AM   #28
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
I wish my wife would tell me to wear a Rolex.

X2

MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2021, 12:54 PM   #29
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
The Datejust 36 or 41 is great place to start as an only watch or as the beginning of a collection, unless you have some specific activity in mind eg. diving.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2021, 12:57 PM   #30
Aircraftman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nice, way to welcome a new guy

Favorite watch: Seiko Orange Monster cause when I’m wearing it I’m diving in some far flung corner of the planet!
Aircraftman is offline   Reply With Quote