The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 May 2021, 11:42 PM   #1
ThornappleWatch
"TRF" Member

Turned down DJ41 - Fluted, Slate

I stopped by my AD Tuesday. The SA mentioned that a new Rolex had arrived that morning that might interest me. Slate DJ with the dark green Roman numerals. Pretty watch. However, my lifestyle has changed. I'm retired, usually wear overalls and only wear nice jeans and dress shirt for Church on Sunday.

I REALLY wanted to love the watch but I just couldn't get excited about spending $10,000 on this watch. Am I missing something?
ThornappleWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2021, 11:55 PM   #2
Heater3000
"TRF" Member

i also turned one down. in person, that blue dial color is not that great!
Heater3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2021, 11:57 PM   #3
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Good for you. Buy what you like and don’t get sucked into FOMO.

What’s on your radar?
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 12:01 AM   #4
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Is that a wimbledon dial? I think that is gorgeous timepiece, it can be daily and go with casual or dress up too. If you are looking for a new watch, this is one of the best IMHO.

But you should buy only what it sings to you.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
, Seiko: SRPA21,
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 12:07 AM   #5
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
no, you're not missing anything lol. if you didn't like it, you didn't like it.

crazy how passing a rolex you don't really like gives people fomo these days.

rolex has done a marvelous job.

(btw i passed on a slate dj41 fluted stick markers on jubilee that an SA pulled out from the back. It was nice but I really wanted the blue dial)
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 12:08 AM   #6
krounchou
"TRF" Member

I don´t think you are missing anything. At that price anybody should buy only if really convinced about it.
krounchou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 12:08 AM   #7
Zuger
"TRF" Member

Watch: me set the time
Nothing wrong with it at all. I can see why you turned it down given your current lifestyle. DJ41 with fluted bezel can feel quite dressy indeed and you may find yourself lacking in occasion to wear one. However should you happen to see the same dial with smooth bezel and oyster bracelet, do give it some consideration, as it is quite sporty, and wear the same as an Explorer I 39mm.
Zuger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 12:13 AM   #8
ThornappleWatch
"TRF" Member

Yes, Wimbledon dial...
ThornappleWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 12:16 AM   #9
sj24k
"TRF" Member

Turned down DJ41 - Fluted, Slate

Smart move. I totally support not buying anything you don’t love, want, or see fitting with your lifestyle. I recently retired too, am essentially 100% casual, and it’s definitely had an impact on how I look at, wear, and purchase watches.

(I don’t really like that watch either, but that’s irrelevant to your decision.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sj24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 12:41 AM   #10
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Love that Wimbledon dial but if it didn't sing to you, you did the right thing.

Love that dial and the romans are beautiful, and was close to buying one but seemed to me it is harder to read vs the baton models and I really like a fully lumed dial. I wound up going with the sticks (twice)
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 12:47 AM   #11
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
I sold back my blue datejust. With modern dress codes and my lifestyle, I can’t justify that much for a dressier watch. That is why I have my Nomos in case I ever really need to go stealth dress. Plus my 124060 can really be worn in all scenarios. Good move, nothing wrong with the watch, but it has to be a fit for you.
Old 28 May 2021, 12:50 AM   #12
LonghornBBA16
"TRF" Member

Love the Wimbledon, but I've only seen pictures... I don't think you did anything wrong though!

If you're spending $10k on something you'd better LOVE it.
LonghornBBA16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 01:15 AM   #13
AEV
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
I recently sold my DJ. Had it for a year, but never got to wear it.
Like others have written, you better really like what you are buying before spending 10K.
AEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 01:40 AM   #14
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
I turned it down last week my AD actually seeemed shocked as it’s supposedly desirable. Not for me at all That big white marker on the 9 is very out of place.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 01:49 AM   #15
quakeroatmeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Watch
I had a DJ41 with a Wimbledon dial, in pictures it looks awesome, but I really struggled to read it in certain lighting conditions. Eventually this bothered me so much that I had to sell it.

Unfortunate really because I do like how it looks, but legibility is a priority for me on a watch. And before anyone asks, I have 20/20 vision LOL

Also, the random lume on the dial is a really strange choice.
quakeroatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 01:50 AM   #16
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
I looked at a Datejust 41 rose gold and ss two-tone.

Then I bought it.
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 01:50 AM   #17
Rochester585
"TRF" Member

i have come full circle on the "wimbledon" dial

used to think it was not very attractive, but now i think its my favorite of the bunch

i would really love a 41mm, smooth beeeezel(archieluxury), jubilee bracelet...a man can dream

maybe someday i will make it a reality
Rochester585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 02:33 AM   #18
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizcut1 View Post

Then I bought it.
So did I. Which one did you get? I went with chocolate batons

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 02:52 AM   #19
prnceofpersia23
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
So did I. Which one did you get? I went with chocolate batons

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
Our club is growing...

Also, it's strange that we're at a point where threads are made so people can share that they didn't spend $10K on a watch they didn't like and wonder if that was the right move because it was available
prnceofpersia23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 04:14 AM   #20
simon101
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 124270
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThornappleWatch View Post
I stopped by my AD Tuesday. The SA mentioned that a new Rolex had arrived that morning that might interest me. Slate DJ with the dark green Roman numerals. Pretty watch. However, my lifestyle has changed. I'm retired, usually wear overalls and only wear nice jeans and dress shirt for Church on Sunday.

I REALLY wanted to love the watch but I just couldn't get excited about spending $10,000 on this watch. Am I missing something?
Seiko SKX/Citizen NY0040 may be better when doing things associated with wearing overalls! Drop tested ISO diver you can use to bang nails in with if you forget your hammer!

But get the DJ for best.
simon101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 04:25 AM   #21
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I prefer the blue dial to the Wimbledon dial, good looking piece nonetheless.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 04:31 AM   #22
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
I bought the same watch. The Wimbledon dial sealed the deal. I bought it because I liked it. I agree the watch needs to sing to you, if it doesn't, just pass on it. Everybody is different with different tastes. That's what makes the world go 'round.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 05:08 AM   #23
mk2jag
"TRF" Member

Just because a watch is popular does not mean we should all feel like we should all run and buy it. I used to be like that but I got wiser in my old age...I buy what I like and am not at all concerned about whether its popular or not....good job you passed on a watch you don't really want...
mk2jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 05:42 AM   #24
RealMadrid1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona | BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuger View Post
Nothing wrong with it at all. I can see why you turned it down given your current lifestyle. DJ41 with fluted bezel can feel quite dressy indeed and you may find yourself lacking in occasion to wear one. However should you happen to see the same dial with smooth bezel and oyster bracelet, do give it some consideration, as it is quite sporty, and wear the same as an Explorer I 39mm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell
I sold back my blue datejust. With modern dress codes and my lifestyle, I can’t justify that much for a dressier watch. That is why I have my Nomos in case I ever really need to go stealth dress. Plus my 124060 can really be worn in all scenarios. Good move, nothing wrong with the watch, but it has to be a fit for you.
I have a DJ41 with blue stick dial, fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet and have to say that I really don’t understand how this perception of the fluted/jubilee Datejusts has gained such traction on this forum. Sure, the watch is flashier than a Submariner or GMT, but it’s not like you have to be wearing a tuxedo or suit to carry it on your wrist. Perhaps people are simply less concerned with hewing to historical modes of dress in cities like NYC, LA, SF, DC, etc., but I see plenty of people with fluted/jubilee Datejusts wearing a nice pair of jeans and casual shirt, and I don’t think it looks out of place at all. In fact, I think it looks pretty great.
RealMadrid1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 05:58 AM   #25
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMadrid1988 View Post
I have a DJ41 with blue stick dial, fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet and have to say that I really don’t understand how this perception of the fluted/jubilee Datejusts has gained such traction on this forum. Sure, the watch is flashier than a Submariner or GMT, but it’s not like you have to be wearing a tuxedo or suit to carry it on your wrist. Perhaps people are simply less concerned with hewing to historical modes of dress in cities like NYC, LA, SF, DC, etc., but I see plenty of people with fluted/jubilee Datejusts wearing a nice pair of jeans and casual shirt, and I don’t think it looks out of place at all. In fact, I think it looks pretty great.
I can see your point. It is such a personal preference. For me when I see the datejust on someone else I think it looks great regardless of the dress. When I look down at my own arm, for whatever reason if feels too dressy. I actually liked looking at it laying on my desk more than on my arm. I love the look of it, but always felt my Rolex was incomplete without the ceramic bezel. For me that is what attracting me to the brand, so that feeling can’t be broken. A combination of it feeling to dressy and lacking something was the reason for me.
Please know I really do love the look and appreciate the history, but every watch is not for everybody.
Old 28 May 2021, 06:12 AM   #26
RealMadrid1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona | BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
I can see your point. It is such a personal preference. For me when I see the datejust on someone else I think it looks great regardless of the dress. When I look down at my own arm, for whatever reason if feels too dressy. I actually liked looking at it laying on my desk more than on my arm. I love the look of it, but always felt my Rolex was incomplete without the ceramic bezel. For me that is what attracting me to the brand, so that feeling can’t be broken. A combination of it feeling to dressy and lacking something was the reason for me.
Please know I really do love the look and appreciate the history, but every watch is not for everybody.
Of course! Everyone has to decide for themselves. If a DJ speaks to someone and fits into their lifestyle, it’s a great watch. If it feels too dressy, then by all means, pass!
RealMadrid1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 06:25 AM   #27
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
It works for me. I've always preferred the S/O combination myself. I'll admit it's not the most legible dial and almost went with the silver stick dial thinking it was more of a safe choice but threw caution to the wind and changed my order the next day. I'm glad l did, I just love looking at this dial.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 07:11 AM   #28
Alcibiades
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMadrid1988 View Post
I think the DJ, especially in 41, can go great with even very casual attire. It isn’t a very slim gold watch on a thin alligator or leather strap - technically it is far from a dress watch. It is a substantial watch.
Alcibiades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 08:04 AM   #29
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizcut1 View Post

Then I bought it.
2 tone DJ is the way to go. Steel is a steal!
bob sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 11:24 AM   #30
ks58
Banned

Good for you OP. If you didn't like it, then no big deal to say no and move onto something you liked. But if you did like it, don't let any of us stop you from wearing the watch now that you're retired. Enjoy any watch in any of your activities. Rolex makes a strong watch. It'll last. Even though they classify classic vs. sports models, the DJ still can go over 300ft in the water.
ks58 is offline   Reply With Quote