The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 21 July 2021, 09:36 AM   #1
CharlieR
"TRF" Member

Icon20 Maxi I and Pre-COMEX 5513s

I’ve been looking into the Pre-COMEX and Mark 1 Maxi variants of Submariner 5513 and it seems both dials appear on MilSubs, while the Pre-COMEX dial was also used on some COMEX Subs. As someone else surmised, it could well be that they were produced originally, in the early ‘70s, for military watches and then used for COMEX ones with the surplus being used for civilian models. Both have similar large lume plots (the pre-COMEX ones sometimes being slightly larger and sitting on the indices like a Mk 3 ‘lollipop’) and Submariner positioned under the depth (ft=) line. As is well documented, the Pre-COMEX has the “smudged” coronet, and = sign above and slightly to the left of the ‘A’ in Submariner. The Mk 1 is distinguishable by the thinner and tapered coronet, = sign directly above the ‘A’ and a reverse Z-like ‘S’ in ‘Submariner’. The cross lines on the ‘f’ and ‘t’ are generally aligned on both variants. All the above indicators can be more or less pronounced on individual watches.

To me, the so-called “Pre-COMEX” is just a variant of the Mk 1 Maxi. I read someone saying it wasn’t a Maxi on a post several years ago and wonder if anyone can explain why?

Also, my understanding is that the Pre-COMEX appeared first around ‘76/‘77 and the Mk 1 in ‘77/‘78. Serial number ranges seem to overlap and it seems both were produced in 1977 at least. I’m looking at a Mk 1 with a 50* case number - this puts it into 1977 - quite early - I believe, and precedes many Pre-COMEX numbers. Does this seem genuine? It’s the earliest I’ve seen on a Mk 1. Has anyone seen (or does anyone own) a 50* Mk 1?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the above! C
CharlieR is offline   Reply With Quote