The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 May 2018, 06:31 PM   #1
Steve34
"TRF" Member

Rolex limited numbers?

Hey everyone.

Still waiting for my non date sub to arrive into the local AD but have been reading about other model watches ie the batman, Daytona and Hulk and wanted to know if these watches are limited compared to other ones? I understand that the waiting lists are crazy as these models are so sought after but are they limited making them so hard to get? Total rookie question but tying to understand why a sub non date I can get in a few weeks but others are minimum of two years.

Sorry if this is a daft question 🙈

Cheers
Steve34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 06:46 PM   #2
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Rolex don't produce limited editions in the traditional sense like a lot of other manufacturers (think Omega Speedmaster!)

However, the production, or at least the supply to AD's of the popular Stainless Steel sports models (Sub's,GMT's Daytona's etc) are very limited.

No one really knows why this is - it could be to try and stamp out the ridiculous inflated prices on the secondary market, or it could just simply be to maintain brand value.

Whatever the reason, the only losers are the likes of you & I who genuinely want to purchase a watch to keep and enjoy for ourselves and not instantly flip for a massive profit.

Regarding the Submariner, it's availability in a few weeks rather than years is probably just down to demand.

There obviously arn't as many people on your AD's wait list for that compared to the date version, the LV Hulk or any other watch you mentioned.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 06:57 PM   #3
Steve34
"TRF" Member

Ok thanks a lot. Just found it odd why dealers get such small numbers each year so wasn’t sure if they were limited but that answers my question.

Last edited by Steve34; 27 May 2018 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 27 May 2018, 07:20 PM   #4
Solicitor
"TRF" Member

There's no shortage of Rolex Sports watches. It was just taken over by businessmen/soeculators. They have become commodity that some store in HK has over 1 Billion HKD in inventory (as its salesman brags)

Go to HK and there are tons of them with ridiculous prices.

This will never stop unless people stop buying them.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk
Solicitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 07:23 PM   #5
Quailhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex President
My AD says she sells 20 or more date Subs to every no date Sub. The no date just isn’t a high demand watch and is more available. I don’t think I have ever seen one outside a Rolex AD.
Quailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 07:32 PM   #6
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
No supply is pretty much as usual but it is being distributed more carefully, the main change is that demand has blown up and then as prices rise that catches the human eye more than anything, and so demand rises further and further as the good becomes more conspicuous and coveted.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 07:45 PM   #7
Steve34
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitor View Post
There's no shortage of Rolex Sports watches. It was just taken over by businessmen/soeculators. They have become commodity that some store in HK has over 1 Billion HKD in inventory (as its salesman brags)

Wow that’s crazy
Old 27 May 2018, 07:47 PM   #8
Steve34
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quailhunter View Post
My AD says she sells 20 or more date Subs to every no date Sub. The no date just isn’t a high demand watch and is more available. I don’t think I have ever seen one outside a Rolex AD.

I find that really odd as when I look at posts about the two subs people seem very split on which they prefer and polls are always very close. My AD said there is a bit more of a wait on the date sub but got the impression it wasn’t a big wait. I just personally prefer the look of the non date but very hard decision. Both are lovely watches
Old 27 May 2018, 07:49 PM   #9
BadBoyR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubsGMTsSDsYM2DJ41
Your doing well to be able to get a sub non date within a few weeks, most ADs have lists for all sports models

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
BadBoyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 07:57 PM   #10
Steve34
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBoyR View Post
Your doing well to be able to get a sub non date within a few weeks, most ADs have lists for all sports models

I have a good relationship with him anyway and he helped me climb the list a little as 1. I’m known to him and two I’m on the list of the daytona but even he can’t get me one in less than two years.

The girl I spoke to in the local AD told me 6-12 months for the nd sub but luckily the guy I know said he can sort something out. Maybe he’s trying to keep me happy. Or get rid of me as always pestering him haha
Old 27 May 2018, 08:09 PM   #11
BadBoyR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubsGMTsSDsYM2DJ41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve34 View Post
I have a good relationship with him anyway and he helped me climb the list a little as 1. I’m known to him and two I’m on the list of the daytona but even he can’t get me one in less than two years.

The girl I spoke to in the local AD told me 6-12 months for the nd sub but luckily the guy I know said he can sort something out. Maybe he’s trying to keep me happy. Or get rid of me as always pestering him haha
Makes sense now, well done.

BadBoyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 09:38 PM   #12
clb521
"TRF" Member

My AD told me I would have to wait 2 months for ss black sub. I almost gave them my deposit before stumbling on a new one from the classifieds here. Now i get mine next week vs 2 months. It even has an un named card.

I think rolex is doing this on purpose. Sigh. It sucks.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
clb521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 09:52 PM   #13
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitor View Post

Looks like a Daytona has a pepsi insert around it..
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 01:36 AM   #14
mrs_LA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBoyR View Post

My husband and I walked into an AD that we have no relationship with, and were able to get a quote of 3 weeks for a no date sub. Might also differ in location! We are in Los Angeles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28 May 2018, 01:42 AM   #15
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
Looks like a Daytona has a pepsi insert around it..
If you're looking at the same one I am, that's a multicolored gem bezel.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 02:17 AM   #16
Sailaway
"TRF" Member

I recently picked up a NoDate from a UK AD (south coast). It was about a two week wait - a Sub Date was expected to be about 6 months, but like you I particularly wanted a NoDate to add to my little collection. it arrived, I collected, the AD removed the stickers but did not retain the warranty card. I am very pleased with the watch and it has become the most worn on a daily basis. Love the simplicity of the dial, the glidelock and not having to fiddle too much altering the date when it hasn't been worn for a few days... good luck with the wait -I think you will find it worthwhile.
Sailaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 02:21 AM   #17
Steve34
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs_LA View Post
My husband and I walked into an AD that we have no relationship with, and were able to get a quote of 3 weeks for a no date sub. Might also differ in location! We are in Los Angeles.

That’s good. Seems a lot longer in the UK
Old 28 May 2018, 02:29 AM   #18
Steve34
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailaway View Post
I recently picked up a NoDate from a UK AD (south coast). It was about a two week wait - a Sub Date was expected to be about 6 months, but like you I particularly wanted a NoDate to add to my little collection. it arrived, I collected, the AD removed the stickers but did not retain the warranty card. I am very pleased with the watch and it has become the most worn on a daily basis. Love the simplicity of the dial, the glidelock and not having to fiddle too much altering the date when it hasn't been worn for a few days... good luck with the wait -I think you will find it worthwhile.

That’s really good. Seems to vary depending where you go. Same store I’m dealing with 100 miles away is a much longer wait but I don’t live in their area and not known to them so don’t think they sounds too interested in dealing with me. Best sticking to my local AD.

I feel the same abut the simplicity of the dial and as I’m planning on it hopefully not being my only Rolex I don’t mind not having the date and the cost saving is a bonus too. Fingers crossed I get the call any day now
Old 28 May 2018, 02:32 AM   #19
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quailhunter View Post
I agree with this. I'm actually surprised Rolex still offers a ND sub for sale.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 02:37 AM   #20
Steve34
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Still seems a very popular watch when you look at polls comparing the two. Didn’t the original submariner have no date? Sure I read that somewhere
Old 28 May 2018, 02:53 AM   #21
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Still seems a very popular watch when you look at polls comparing the two. Didn’t the original submariner have no date? Sure I read that somewhere
Yes.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 03:08 AM   #22
siempreko
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sometimes
I believe the “supply” volume has remained relatively consistent... but the demand has gone through the roof (blame it on the economy!)

siempreko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 03:44 AM   #23
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah, but I think the deal there is that it's popular with people who take watch polls, and not with people who buy watches.

(of which people who take watch polls are a teeny, tiny minority.)

Quote:
I believe the “supply” volume has remained relatively consistent... but the demand has gone through the roof (blame it on the economy!)
No way to know for sure, but we keep hearing from ADs who are getting meaningfully fewer watches than they used to. It's been broadly enough reported at this point that it certainly does seem to point to a reduction in supply.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 03:48 AM   #24
Steve34
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
Yeah, but I think the deal there is that it's popular with people who take watch polls, and not with people who buy watches.

(of which people who take watch polls are a teeny, tiny minority.)

No way to know for sure, but we keep hearing from ADs who are getting meaningfully fewer watches than they used to. It's been broadly enough reported at this point that it certainly does seem to point to a reduction in supply.

Do you think that’s just in the US or worldwide? I really like the non date but also really like the date. Hope I’ve made the right choice but I think for me the non date edges it
Old 28 May 2018, 03:58 AM   #25
zjd168
"TRF" Member

UK seems too crazy. Sub no date is often available in US ADs nowadays
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 04:44 AM   #26
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
I hope they stop producing the ND sub right now. It will make the value of the one I have skyrocket.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 07:59 AM   #27
daemonix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailaway View Post
What if you have OCD with removing the stickers from things you buy??
daemonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2018, 11:23 AM   #28
zimen
"TRF" Member

I walked in an AD as a new client and purchased a Sub no date in August 2016. Is it harder nowadays
zimen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2018, 12:03 PM   #29
harvey
"TRF" Member

The chance of walking into an AD and picking up a professional reference of first choice is near zero, especially in the UK.
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2018, 12:07 PM   #30
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I bought my 114060 last nov. at an AD I met for the first time and recieved a 7% discount. They were starting to get low and knew they would be out of stock by Christmas. I stopped in a few days ago and the inventory was bare. Pretty much the same story everywhere, hopefully supplies are on the way now going into midyear already.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote