The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 28 October 2015, 07:59 AM   #61
JohnBaker3
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1971 Red Sub
Sweet!
Old 28 October 2015, 08:33 AM   #62
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
They just copied all the well known brands. The reason they can do this is because Chinese companies don't have to follow patient laws.

I'm personally disappointed and and turned off by the fact people would actually support this company even thought they are taking all these companies design.

I don't care if the Chinese want to make watches. Good for them but they should a least create there own design and identity.

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2015, 09:30 AM   #63
JohnBaker3
2024 Pledge Member

Brandon:

I understand your frustrations, but if you back and look at the OP, 3 out of the 5 pictures are original designs.

I support them because they are coming up with new and creative watches; I'm even more impressed with their price points.

I can't afford any more "high end' watches at this point; however, these Chinese models sure make it tough to pick a watch to wear each morning.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Parnis Chronograph 4 Sub Dials.jpg (123.4 KB, 520 views)
Old 22 January 2016, 08:21 AM   #64
JohnBaker3
2024 Pledge Member

Hey Guys:

Just a heads up: NEVER put one of these Chinese watches on an watch winder.

I have it from good authority that they routinely break the mainsprings. My guess is that they still have some engineering to do on the clutch mechanisms.

Old 22 January 2016, 09:05 AM   #65
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
I've had my Parnis on a winder for 7-8 months. So far no problems, John.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2016, 03:36 AM   #66
JohnBaker3
2024 Pledge Member

Rock:

Glad to hear your's is working well; so far I have broken one and damaged another...

Love the watches though; great bang for the buck...

Old 30 January 2016, 03:59 AM   #67
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
WOW. talk about an old thread.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2016, 04:04 AM   #68
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
Quote:
Originally Posted by threemonkeys View Post
I go out of my way to not (knowingly) purchase anything Chinese. Fake infant formula, Apple stores, 'homages', cyber activity...I'll shut up now.

This. I simply have no respect for their business ethics, or lack thereof.
Old 30 January 2016, 06:27 AM   #69
SearChart
TechXpert

John, mine is still ticking strong and expect it to do so for a long while, Seagull makes quite good watches.
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2016, 02:08 AM   #70
cajunron
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
Personally, I can't get on board with a country that turns a blind eye to shipping millions of counterfeit items all over the world.
Old 30 April 2017, 12:24 AM   #71
JohnBaker3
2024 Pledge Member

There are some new watch designs showing up on eBay from Hong Kong sources...

Many of these Tourbillon movements are selling for less than $400...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg A 4.0.jpg (123.1 KB, 423 views)
File Type: jpg A 3.0.jpg (117.4 KB, 424 views)
Old 30 April 2017, 11:01 AM   #72
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
I share the OP’s point of view—soon many members of this fair forum will either eat their words about China or live in denial. But make no mistake, the Chinese are moving into the world of horology and they may become the dominant power.

First of all, China does not manufacture crap. The country has been tooled to respond to the desires of the market and, apparently, the market has an increasing appetite for cheap goods that fall apart after brief usage. Had the world valued the finest products possible, China would have delivered that too.

Secondly, China knows how to produce high quality precise instruments. Do not take my word for it and walk into the nearest Apple store. Yes, “Made in China” is everywhere. Turns out precise specs, high-tech machinery, and motivation can produce extremely high quality products that are desirable by a substantial number of consumers. The products may be “designed in California” but they are made in the country that has been synonyms with cheap clothing.

Thirdly, the country that was known for luxury products and exotic goods not only has an increasing number of consumers but also it has something to prove. The last century was not kind enough to Chinese and now it is time to shine. Why would the civilization that has been known for many inventions and cutting edge technology of its time easily give up? There is certainly enough proud people in China who may want to put the country back on the map and make it number one.

Finally, the industry is ripe for disruption. The dominance of mid-level luxury watches resulted in a tremendous oversupply of timepieces that, frankly, are just okay. Complications and high quality watches are simply out of rich of the normal consumers who may fancy something special without going totally broke. That’s where Chinese made watches can add value. I am in and I cannot wait.
Old 1 May 2017, 10:01 PM   #73
RonSwanson
"TRF" Member

I have 4-5 of these simple parnis pieces, I bought them a year or so back to use as projects to learn watch making and repair. Good thing because 3 arrived with glaring flaws. Misaligned datewheel, balance stuck, hands colliding. These are simply unbranded knock offs. To view them as anything else is completely ignorant. They all use the same cheap 2813 movement, occasionally with very suspect complications on top. Do anyone else notice the dress watches all have the same dial with crappy applied Arabic numbers in a few colors? Also anyone want to take a guess at how well the "lume" works on parnis? Here's a clue, it doesn't.

The reason apple and other high end goods are able to produce in china is because they are following western manufacturing principles. A purely Chinese run brand will look to decrease prices straight away, sacrificing quality intentionally.

I guarantee any sane person who has owned or even familiarized themselves with a Rolex would not buy one of these and say "wow, now I don't need my Rolex anymore, this is a good substitute ". They are not substitutes at all, and I don't feel they could take one sale away from Rolex. In fact in my case it made me love the brand even more, because I fell in love for the submariner look, and wanted an original and more importantly a high quality version.

It would be my recommendation to avoid these low quality knock offs because they are intrinsically crappy, but also because they support a culture of stealing intellectual property.
RonSwanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2017, 11:24 AM   #74
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
the tourbys are interesting.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2017, 05:11 PM   #75
slorollin
"TRF" Member

Watch: yer pints & quarts
Even if they made better watches than Patek P. starting next week it would take a generation or two for it to be acknowledged. Can't see the cachet of "China Made" approaching that of "Swiss Made" anytime soon.
I will say that some of those small-batch , pre-order, Kickstarter type offerings that are all over at WUS are pretty damn cool. I find some of the dive watches​ particularly interesting. Some are blatant rip-offs others are original, sometimes wildly so. Brands like Helios, Magrette, H2O, Benarus and many others are putting out some nice stuff. I'm pretty sure that they are mostly being made in China. They use Seiko, ETA, Myota and Selita movements. To my mind, they are fun, innovative beaters that can be worn fearlessly...........sort of like my old Datsun 240Z.

Last edited by slorollin; 5 May 2017 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: .
slorollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2017, 05:37 PM   #76
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
If they made as good watches as the best Swiss brands I still would prefer Swiss with similar pricing, even if the chinese watch was 20-30% cheaper, why? Because I love to have watches from brands with amazing history, it's not for others as no one ever notices my watches, but it's the whole package which attracts me, ok I should be receiving soon my Voutilainen, it doesn't have history like my other watches, but he is clearly one of the most talented watch makers in the business, for me it's a little bit like a painting lover who would have been able to order a unique painting from Dali or Picasso at a time in their life when they were already famous but not overpriced. Of course if a chinese brand offers me the same as Patek for 20-30% of the price of a Patek I might be tempted, same thing if a chinese watch maker gets famous and gives me a similar priduct as Voutilainen or Roger Smith for 20-30% of the price.
Anyways will be interesting to see what happens, but the OP's original claim that within 18 months they would be competing with better swiss brands didn't happen, though it probably will, just not so soon.

About the 400 dollar tourbs I always thought tourbs were way overpriced for what they are, of course a 400 dollar tourb and one from PP or GF have nothing in common, but no way that for me the Swiss prices reflect reality, I understand why minute repeaters are very expensive, not tourbs...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2017, 10:57 PM   #77
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
...because they support a culture of stealing intellectual property.
The Swiss have being doing that since God knows when – the only difference being that they all agreed not to sue each other…unlike what Apple, Samsung, et al were doing a few years ago, until they stopped all the frivolous wastage of money on litigation.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2017, 12:58 AM   #78
gotmilk
"TRF" Member

Lexus cars are made in Japan aren't they?
gotmilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2017, 12:48 PM   #79
RonSwanson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
The Swiss have being doing that since God knows when – the only difference being that they all agreed not to sue each other…unlike what Apple, Samsung, et al were doing a few years ago, until they stopped all the frivolous wastage of money on litigation.
The swiss ultimately care about quality. Quality of life leads to high wages and quality watchmaking leads to high prices. This drive to produce the best pieces at higher prices is why the Swiss innovate.

As stated before the Chinese ability to reverse engineer and manufacture Swiss movements does not make them equivalent in original designs.

There are a few exceptions, but the Chinese watchmarket is not at the cutting edge of design or mechanics. The Swiss lead in every aspect. Much like a German car rolls off the assembly line 10 years ahead of the rest of the world. I drive a 2006 BMW 530xi, and rarely do I want.
RonSwanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2017, 04:03 AM   #80
PJ S
Banned

They most definitely are...http://www.watchpro.com/sub-3000-chi...atch-industry/

PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2017, 02:08 PM   #81
2JHead
"TRF" Member

You can mow our lawn a few times with your chinese mower, you can may get a couple jobs done with your chinese chop saw and maybe you can even call Dominos with your chinese smart phone. But no way can you drop panties with your chinese wrist watch
2JHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2017, 01:58 AM   #82
ELITEVIDEOGAMES
"TRF" Member

Watch: me sell games
Interesting thread, I have never seen a Parnis Watch in person so I cannot make an observation. All I do know is if Grand Seiko being a Japanese watchmaker which we all generally agree makes a better quality product then Swiss watches at double the price hasn't picked up more traction and prestige in the western world just yet except for small circles; then these Chinese watches will not accomplish that in my lifetime. Just my opinion.
ELITEVIDEOGAMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2017, 02:04 AM   #83
Kyle13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
wow thats actually pretty cool looking, if it was all matte black id buy one. Great convo piece
Kyle13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2017, 06:33 AM   #84
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBaker3 View Post
There are some new watch designs showing up on eBay from Hong Kong sources...

Many of these Tourbillon movements are selling for less than $400...

Hum minorva reminds me of something, just can't put the finger on what
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2017, 04:39 PM   #85
rolehex
2024 Pledge Member

The Chinese already make watches..they're called FAKES.
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2017, 11:14 AM   #86
McPGA
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
My personal favorite Chinese...with the exception of my wife lol
McPGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 06:09 AM   #87
AlexFrank
"TRF" Member

Chinese watches are not my cup of tea. I am all way swiss watch lover.
AlexFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2018, 02:44 AM   #88
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
I got a Parnis this winter to test the waters regarding a future buy. I have looked at the Radiomir Panerais and wanted to see if I liked it, I have tried a few at my dealer, but I like to wear a watch a while to see if I like it.

Now I am thinking of getting a used Panerai 210.

For $90 it was a no brainer. I am thinking of getting it pressure tested also, it is supposed to handle 3 bars, so there should be some gaskets... Here it is on a cheap rubber strap, it came originally on a leather band which is surprisingly nice. Sorry about the lint, I wiped it on my shirt before I took the picture.

Oh, the lume works, but it is not exactly strong.

edit: If you look carefully, you will see my 176 in the reflection!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg parnis2.jpg (95.5 KB, 167 views)
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2018, 01:27 AM   #89
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JHead View Post
You can mow our lawn a few times with your chinese mower, you can may get a couple jobs done with your chinese chop saw and maybe you can even call Dominos with your chinese smart phone. But no way can you drop panties with your chinese wrist watch
Amen! Haha
tudorbaja27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2018, 07:21 AM   #90
LINVS
Banned

Aren't most "fashion" watches and smart watches made in China anyway?

So you're saying the Chinese will do with watches what the Japanese did with cars? The Japanese have this tradition of precise craftsmanship that readily enabled the development of an auto industry and even watch making (ie Seiko). The Chinese has something similar?
LINVS is offline   Reply With Quote