The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 17 September 2020, 08:12 PM   #1
londonred
"TRF" Member

Icon20 To polish or not to polish when selling privately

Hi everyone,

This is my first forum post having been a reader for a while

I've got an incoming 5990, likely a 6 month wait, but need to sell my 5164A-001 to get the funds.

I'm caught in knowing how best to put the Aquanaut up for sale - I will be doing this myself to maximise price (ie not going near the grey market dealers). The issue is that I wear and love the Aquanaut which has resulted in normal wear on the case and buckle - light scratches and swirls that will come out easily with a gentle polish

Keen to tap into all your wisdom and buying experiences

Question: Would you rather buy a 2 year old watch with expected signs of wear or one with perfect case and buckle that has clearly been polished?

Which of the above scenarios do you believe attracts a higher price or do you think there is no difference (noting that the polishing will cost about $500 so the selling price realistically should be higher)

Thanks and looking forward to hearing some views

londonred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 02:41 AM   #2
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Well, the opinion usually prevalent in forums is to not polish a watch and enjoy it. However, outside of the (small) WIS community, buyers of high end watches will generally prefer to spend their money on clean looking pieces.

The aquanaut has achieved such a hype that the market for this reference transcends watch afficionados. In that sense, You'd probably have better luck selling a mint looking piece. Ideally, however, the polish should be done by Patek themselves, to avoid disaster. Oh, and it doesn't really make sense to make a point of upcharging $500 for the polish cost on a 50k piece, imo.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 03:17 AM   #3
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member

If I was in the market for the watch you’re selling, I wouldn’t want one polished. Secondly, I would be content with a few scratches (provided they aren’t big gashes) but I wouldn’t be paying top dollar for it. I’d expect the price to be somewhere near middle/lower end for the secondary market price.
Old 18 September 2020, 03:19 AM   #4
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Unless a watch is a vintage watch or a long discontinued watch, most buyers looking to purchase a current model watch will not appreciate the scratches on the watch case. Most resellers tend to gently polish these watches before putting them up for sale.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 03:44 AM   #5
chadwick4eva
"TRF" Member

To me it would seem safest not to polish and disclose that it has never been polished. Can always polish it up to make it look better but can never go back once that's been done. Leave it up to the buyer what they want to do.
chadwick4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 03:48 AM   #6
SpaceDweller77
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Patek
If I was purchasing a pre-owned watch in reasonable condition I would much prefer it unpolished, I would rather have the option to polish up to me after I made the purchase.
SpaceDweller77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 04:24 AM   #7
helloworldies
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Omega
Definitely recommend a light buckle polish as it's a scratch magnet so shows most of the wear.
helloworldies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 04:27 AM   #8
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Saying the watch has not been polished is a plus to me. Suppose you get a bad polish job, i.e. it just does not look right in a spot or two, then what.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 04:59 AM   #9
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
No polish

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 05:37 AM   #10
ts3
"TRF" Member

For a hot watch that is only two years old I'd expect much more interest when mint looking but lightly polished by Patek than worn with scratches. There is a reason why the pros have their watches touched up.

Most people on here will probably say don't polish but I doubt that reflects what the average buyer of an almost new hot watch prefers.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 12:03 PM   #11
MrBigSmiles
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/PAM/Rolex
I wouldn’t want to buy one that is polished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrBigSmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 01:12 PM   #12
londonred
"TRF" Member

Thanks for your candid feedback everyone.

Its really interesting to see the collective wisdom here and much appreciated

Definitely split views but I take from this that if selling to a seasoned enthusiast then not to polish is the best way forward. However, given the 5164 is a popular model, and therefore appealing to a broader group beyond "purer" patek enthusiasts then polishing is the way forward to increase appeal and thus price

Again, thanks everyone for your views
londonred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 04:22 PM   #13
andyol1966
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek and Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonred View Post
Thanks for your candid feedback everyone.

Its really interesting to see the collective wisdom here and much appreciated

Definitely split views but I take from this that if selling to a seasoned enthusiast then not to polish is the best way forward. However, given the 5164 is a popular model, and therefore appealing to a broader group beyond "purer" patek enthusiasts then polishing is the way forward to increase appeal and thus price

Again, thanks everyone for your views
Spot on
andyol1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 06:48 PM   #14
Rushne

Watch: White 116500LN
Personally I would prefer unpolished. Pricing wise would depend on if there were massive gashes and dints, then the price should be on the mid to lower. But just swirls and light wear, then I would still be fine with mid to slightly over mid pricing.

Might be useful to also specify the price of a polish for those buyers who have no clue but want to consider it.

Omega: Seamaster Professional 300M 2220.80.00
Rolex: Daytona White Dial 116500LN
Rolex: Sky-Dweller Blue Dial Jubilee 336934
Rolex: DateJust 36 Roman White Dial Oyster 126234
Rolex: OP 36 Celebration Dial 126000
Panerai: PAM 422
Patek Philippe: Aquanaut 5167A
A. Lange & Söhne: 1815 Annual Calendar

@mechanicaltom Stolen: IWC Portuguese 500107 Case number 3853222
Rushne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 08:19 PM   #15
jfriedkin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, PP
If your looking to maximize potential profit you need to determine the price of the watch unpolished. Yes, you can advertise that the watch has not been polished and it will show. You will need to "discount" the price due to condition. For your watch I would ONLY have Patek polish the watch. The watch will look like new and 99.9% of buyers will not be able to tell that the watch was polished.
jfriedkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 08:47 PM   #16
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Do you ever wonder why all the trusted seller watches are always "excellent condition"? Think about that for a sec...
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 10:09 PM   #17
Be_Water
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
Do you ever wonder why all the trusted seller watches are always "excellent condition"? Think about that for a sec...
This.

After seeing a fairly recent thread on a polished watch from Rolliworks, I was blown away by the before and after and started wondering if all the resellers who show pristine watches listed in 'excellent condition' are having it professionally done. I always assumed it was unpolished but well maintained. Until recently...
Be_Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 11:00 PM   #18
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be_Water View Post
This.

After seeing a fairly recent thread on a polished watch from Rolliworks, I was blown away by the before and after and started wondering if all the resellers who show pristine watches listed in 'excellent condition' are having it professionally done. I always assumed it was unpolished but well maintained. Until recently...
I don’t know. I’ve sold a bunch of stuff to the popular resellers here and their listings go up quite quickly. Of course most of my stuff is minty fresh, so fickle, so that could explain it as well
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 11:04 PM   #19
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

To polish or not to polish when selling privately

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post
No polish

I wouldn’t want one polished but I also would not want one looking like this. This looks beat up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 11:42 PM   #20
77T

Your question can’t be answered for your market unless we see the true condition in photos.

But a generalization is that you would have a longer wait to find a buyer willing to pay what you want for a badly scratched bezel/case.

If the Watch was worn sparingly and only a few small swirls, I’d leave it alone and sell as unpolished and 100% untouched original model. That buyer you hope to find is a WIS or you’ll have a hard time on the price.

It needs to be advertised in a watch forum rather than general platforms like eBay for example.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 12:23 AM   #21
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Reality is no one can give a definitive answer without seeing the watch.

If the watch has a few minor scratches - hairline - etc here and there that's one thing. If the watch has dings, gouges, etc that's another.

I personally have no issue with a clean up by a qualified knowledgeable party. If you find the right person to clean it up the work shouldn't detract from the value and could perhaps enhance it in my opinion.
Old 19 September 2020, 05:55 AM   #22
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Never polish.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 08:21 AM   #23
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
Polished by Patek
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 08:25 AM   #24
Morrison0
Banned

Watch: 116500 BLRO SubLB
Polished

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Morrison0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 12:51 PM   #25
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauebm View Post
Well, the opinion usually prevalent in forums is to not polish a watch and enjoy it. However, outside of the (small) WIS community, buyers of high end watches will generally prefer to spend their money on clean looking pieces.

The aquanaut has achieved such a hype that the market for this reference transcends watch afficionados. In that sense, You'd probably have better luck selling a mint looking piece. Ideally, however, the polish should be done by Patek themselves, to avoid disaster. Oh, and it doesn't really make sense to make a point of upcharging $500 for the polish cost on a 50k piece, imo.
this
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 04:40 PM   #26
soxfan39
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5168G
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
unless a watch is a vintage watch or a long discontinued watch, most buyers looking to purchase a current model watch will not appreciate the scratches on the watch case. Most resellers tend to gently polish these watches before putting them up for sale.
this
soxfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 09:27 PM   #27
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
i guess the forum is divided between polished VS non-polished.
my own personal opinion is to always look for non-polished watches. Don't mind the scratches because even after polishing the watch, one will still get them.
Old 19 September 2020, 10:31 PM   #28
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I would guess that selling on TRF you would do better with unpolished. Selling almost anywhere else you would do better with polished. Most non-fanatics want their used watch to "look brand new" and to feel like their watch IS new, even if it's two years old. Not too many appreciate the patina from someone else enjoying the watch before them.
Old 19 September 2020, 10:39 PM   #29
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Post some pictures please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCP View Post
Polished by Patek
This.

I get the ''do not polish'' but if you have it polished at Patek (and serviced) I'm sure you can get your money back of the service and double it because of the new condition.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote