The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 15 April 2017, 03:54 AM   #1
Love8171
"TRF" Member

Rolex 8171

Hi Guys

First time here. I have been collecting watches for many years incl. Rolexes, but lately I have been keen on older models. I also repair watches, so I am interested in parts, and I found something that I am interested. It is rather high in price, but considering what the watch is worth..not a bad price? I would definitely negotiate the price with the guy, though..

I actually have a friend that has a 8171 that requires a lot of work incl moonphase dial.. I am considering restoring with original parts, but I was scared that I can't find parts...then I saw this.. I still need to source several other parts such as crystal and a moonphase adj pusher..etc.

I will see if he takes my offer. What do you guys think?
I have been comparing to many pictures, and I think it is correct.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolex-Ref-81.../222465873181?
Love8171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2017, 06:44 AM   #2
Mark020
"TRF" Member

Already the question of the year imho
Mark020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2017, 06:46 AM   #3
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
do i lulz now or later.
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2017, 06:18 PM   #4
Love8171
"TRF" Member

I am not sure if it is worth that money .. but at the same time, the moon phase disc would be the center of the attention. I wonder how much he takes... Even now the low price 8171 goes for over 75k... I am not sure if I should give it a chance.... I don't think I will get a chance again like this considering its age...

I guess I will try sending in an offer and see if he takes it.. probably not..haha..
Old 15 April 2017, 09:18 PM   #5
Passinthru
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love8171 View Post
I am not sure if it is worth that money .. but at the same time, the moon phase disc would be the center of the attention. I wonder how much he takes... Even now the low price 8171 goes for over 75k... I am not sure if I should give it a chance.... I don't think I will get a chance again like this considering its age...

I guess I will try sending in an offer and see if he takes it.. probably not..haha..

.......But the shipping is free!!!!!!

There are several 8171s on Chrono24 now in the $50 to $60,000 range. That does seem to make this moonphase dial seem quite expensive.....ridiculously expensive.
It is my understanding that the dial is made out of ceramic, not metal, so they are very difficult, if not impossible, to repair, i.e., you can't just weld on a couple of extra teeth. So I understand this NOS one being expensive, but 50 grand?
Does anybody know what a reasonably priced 8171 moonphase disc should go for........if one was available? Even used?
Passinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2017, 06:04 AM   #6
Love8171
"TRF" Member

I know!!

I don't know how much they are supposed to be, but I have never seen any 8171 parts around, so I have absolutely no bearing point... I have paid over 4k for a premoon Speedmaster dial(used!!!) in the past, but this is something else...

I see the 8171 that went for 1.14million on Phillips has a pretty nice moonphase dial, but it is not NOS like this one of course...but again. The watch I am trying to restore is nothing like that million dollar watch... All I need is a good condition used one as other parts of the watch would not quite match it unless I find a superb main dial somehow.. other mechanical parts can be washed and cleaned..but I still need the moon phase adj pusher...
Sorry for the rant...

I am assuming he/she has it on to attract attention more than anything at that price considering he/she has the best offer option..maybe he/she will take my offer.. I am thinking more like 10k is correct even at that..... but I know 6062 NOS dial went for over 89k in 2005? just the dial alone... so I am assuming it is worth at least 10k.... it's a smaller piece, right?? ;-)

It is kind of like fixing classic cars? more like classic Ferraris .. I am used to fixing rather cheaper watches like Omega or Cartier..etc... just not used to spending 50k on the dial..however, I know there will be a good return when I sell if I restore it correctly with original parts...dilemma...
Old 18 April 2017, 01:46 AM   #7
Passinthru
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love8171 View Post
I know!!

I don't know how much they are supposed to be, but I have never seen any 8171 parts around, so I have absolutely no bearing point... I have paid over 4k for a premoon Speedmaster dial(used!!!) in the past, but this is something else...

I see the 8171 that went for 1.14million on Phillips has a pretty nice moonphase dial, but it is not NOS like this one of course...but again. The watch I am trying to restore is nothing like that million dollar watch... All I need is a good condition used one as other parts of the watch would not quite match it unless I find a superb main dial somehow.. other mechanical parts can be washed and cleaned..but I still need the moon phase adj pusher...
Sorry for the rant...

I am assuming he/she has it on to attract attention more than anything at that price considering he/she has the best offer option..maybe he/she will take my offer.. I am thinking more like 10k is correct even at that..... but I know 6062 NOS dial went for over 89k in 2005? just the dial alone... so I am assuming it is worth at least 10k.... it's a smaller piece, right?? ;-)

It is kind of like fixing classic cars? more like classic Ferraris .. I am used to fixing rather cheaper watches like Omega or Cartier..etc... just not used to spending 50k on the dial..however, I know there will be a good return when I sell if I restore it correctly with original parts...dilemma...
And the price just dropped to 12,500.

Regarding your "rant".

1. I purchased a pre moon speedy for only a couple of grand more than you paid for your dial. I don't know if you paid too much, but.......

2. Not many 8171s go for over a mil like at Christies. but that one was mint and original. People pay a lot for originality. Once you start replacing pieces, even if they are NOS, I think the watch will lose some of it's originality. And I don't know what is worth more, an 8171 with its' original moonphase dial that doesn't work, or a NOS one that does work but was not original to the watch.

3. He/she has attracted attention with 11 watchers and now the asking price is 12.5. For a couple of grand (not likely to happen) I would consider changing out my moon phase. But a brand new NOS moonphase on an old watch might look funny.

4. Speaking of Ferraris......if you put on a NOS moonphase you will not have a watch with "matching numbers", i.e., original parts, but not original to your specific watch. Although you might win a Coppa Bella Macchina award, you might not win the preservation/originality award. It depends on what the judges, or buyer in your case, are looking for.
Passinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2017, 03:26 AM   #8
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
I specialize in rare watches and parts. I have almost every part for both Rolex moonphase models. We restore and service these also please message me if I can help. Below is a small % of our inventory on these models

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2017, 05:04 AM   #9
Love8171
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passinthru View Post
And the price just dropped to 12,500.

Regarding your "rant".

1. I purchased a pre moon speedy for only a couple of grand more than you paid for your dial. I don't know if you paid too much, but.......

2. Not many 8171s go for over a mil like at Christies. but that one was mint and original. People pay a lot for originality. Once you start replacing pieces, even if they are NOS, I think the watch will lose some of it's originality. And I don't know what is worth more, an 8171 with its' original moonphase dial that doesn't work, or a NOS one that does work but was not original to the watch.

3. He/she has attracted attention with 11 watchers and now the asking price is 12.5. For a couple of grand (not likely to happen) I would consider changing out my moon phase. But a brand new NOS moonphase on an old watch might look funny.

4. Speaking of Ferraris......if you put on a NOS moonphase you will not have a watch with "matching numbers", i.e., original parts, but not original to your specific watch. Although you might win a Coppa Bella Macchina award, you might not win the preservation/originality award. It depends on what the judges, or buyer in your case, are looking for.

Thanks for the info. The premoon speedmaster has gone up in a last while for some reason... if you have one you should take a look at the market. My friend sold one for 25k last month or so. I thought it was crazy, but the guy from Germany bought it. Something I don't know???

You have a point about the originality and the NOS parts. You are right...even if it is correct, it may lose its value? The thing is the original dial is so pitted and blue/purple part is chipped..etc.. it just doesn't look good.... so I assume it will be far better than what it is now... but I don't know for sure that it will raise its value..(at least I think so)

It is a tricky business!!! I love the watch, but everything related to fixing it is a headache due to the parts price....

Greekbum, holy smokes!!! I will contact you for the parts! I need the moonphase adj pusher if you have...

I never thought someone would have something like this! Crazy!
Old 18 April 2017, 05:22 AM   #10
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
The discs are different for both ref# and one will not fit the other. If your project also needs a dial and you plan on refinishing the dial i would advise refinishing your moon disc also. If you have found a sellable condition dial then i would advise a new disc. Last NOS dial i saw sold for over 250k. The watch with a refinished dial doesn't sell well above the 25k range these days IMHO

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2017, 07:00 AM   #11
Love8171
"TRF" Member

Icon7

oh wow. I didn't know that...... That's crazy the NOS dial went for 250k!! I guess it is quite understandable considering the price of the good condition ones. With the perfect dial and moon phase disc, it would look amazing..

The dial is quite damaged to a point, which I wouldn't think it would fetch the price with it.

I will look into it more... Just that without the good condition dial, this project will not go too far.

Pricy project for sure!