The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 20 June 2019, 07:47 AM   #1
Submariner1965
"TRF" Member

"If you have to ask. . . " 168000

(Not quite sure if a 1987 Submariner is "vintage," but) Not scared of a high price; but wanted to see if I could get somewhat of a consensus on the price of an overhaul.

Here's what I know. It's been 8 years since my last overhaul (maybe 7), and just a few months ago, I started to be able to hear it winding (auto) for the first time since new. I thought nothing of it, which was a mistake, I know now. I suspect the axle for the oscillating weight might be bent, or perhaps even broken. I suspect the movement underneath would be somewhat ground-down, discolored, and I'm fairly certainthat some metallic dust has accumulated near the setting lever, as when I try to manually wind it, it makes grinding sounds.

I've only wound it twice manually before I took the watch off and put it in the safe.

It's a "triple-zero" series (made in the latter part of '87 to mid '88). Around 10 years after purchase when nobody knew about the "spiderwebbing" that happenes to this substandard dial; a Rolex rep told me the watch had taken on water. I had the dial and hands replaced (big mistake, I'm told as far as resale value--but I'll never sell it) and the watch looks cosmetically brand new.

Anyways, my first post, and wonder if I'm looking at more than 2K for overhaul to make this watch new again, or maybe not so expensive? Just mentally preparing myself for when I send it off.

Thank you all for your time.

Larry.
Submariner1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 09:28 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Not sure that it would take that much, unless you are looking for restoration, as opposed to an overhaul.

In the FLA area Rik Dietel at Time Care Inc., in Seminole is a CW21 certified watchmaker who gets good marks.
Old 13 July 2019, 01:42 AM   #3
greanie
"TRF" Member

Im looking to track one of these ("000") down for myself .. . mind updating us on what you have found regarding repair and such?
greanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 02:08 AM   #4
Lgear080
Banned

I doubt that a proper tear down and overhaul will cost more than $1200. It’s hard to assess based on so little to go on, but the cost of the entire movement is under $2k so there’s a ceiling in play without substantial rust or intrusion.
Lgear080 is offline   Reply With Quote