The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 July 2013, 09:46 PM   #31
Paco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Even if it was spot on it still wouldn't be COSC certified. Tudor does use chronometer grade movements and can be regulated to run within those specs. All mine do.
And you can find COSC certified watches that don't run within spec. Although they too should be able to be regulated.
dp
my BB are constantly running at +6secs a day. am trying to regulate it by positioning, but that way aren't helping. in the long run, will it affect the mechanism of the watch? thanks in advance dan.
Paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2013, 09:57 PM   #32
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco View Post
my BB are constantly running at +6secs a day. am trying to regulate it by positioning, but that way aren't helping. in the long run, will it affect the mechanism of the watch? thanks in advance dan.
Modern movements aren't as seceptable to positioning as older movements. Also, consistency is more important than daily accuracy. There would be no negative affect on the movement.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2013, 12:01 AM   #33
anothernewphone
Banned

Watch: 116520
Threads like this will only bring out people trying to justify their purchases, and loads of anecdotal evidence. If a movement isn't COSC certified, you shouldn't expect it to run as such. Either buy a chronometer, or don't.

Personally, I prefer chronometers, and my Tudor wasn't keeping time within -4/+6, and was one of the reasons I sold it, but not the main reason. I've had very accurate Seamaster Pros, Planet Oceans, Submariners - and some not-so-accurate Pelagoses, Explorer IIs, and so on.
anothernewphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2013, 12:03 AM   #34
Tudor Fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Even if it was spot on it still wouldn't be COSC certified. Tudor does use chronometer grade movements and can be regulated to run within those specs. All mine do.
And you can find COSC certified watches that don't run within spec. Although they too should be able to be regulated.
dp
My Tudors do too, including the Black Bay. And, yes, I had Rolex too that run outside of those specs, at times.
Tudor Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2013, 12:15 AM   #35
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by anothernewphone View Post
Threads like this will only bring out people trying to justify their purchases, and loads of anecdotal evidence. If a movement isn't COSC certified, you shouldn't expect it to run as such. Either buy a chronometer, or don't.

Personally, I prefer chronometers, and my Tudor wasn't keeping time within -4/+6, and was one of the reasons I sold it, but not the main reason. I've had very accurate Seamaster Pros, Planet Oceans, Submariners - and some not-so-accurate Pelagoses, Explorer IIs, and so on.

My non COSC 14060M runs +3 per day and has so for the last 7 years that I have owned it.

COSC is a certification not a guarantee
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2013, 12:41 AM   #36
SFX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
13 seconds a day! How awful. That's about a half of a second each hour. Imagine the horror...that might cause you to be three seconds early for an afternoon meeting!

That's it. I'm selling all of my mechanical watches and keeping only my G-Shock.
Not so fast cheeta! I was checking my rolex against my gshock every couple days to see how fast/slow it was running. Every time I looked they were perfectly in sync. Figured I had some miracle rolex keeping perfect time. So gave them both a quick check against an online clock to find they were both running +3
SFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2013, 12:49 AM   #37
anothernewphone
Banned

Watch: 116520
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post

My non COSC 14060M runs +3 per day and has so for the last 7 years that I have owned it.

COSC is a certification not a guarantee
Yeah, this falls into the category of "anecdotal evidence." Your watch running great is all well and good, but it doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of non-COSC watches.
anothernewphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2013, 01:11 AM   #38
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothernewphone View Post
Yeah, this falls into the category of "anecdotal evidence." Your watch running great is all well and good, but it doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of non-COSC watches.
COSC certified movements running within COSC specs are also examples of anecdotal evidence. Some do, some don't.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 25 July 2013, 02:01 AM   #39
TimeOnMyHands
Banned

Watch: 16570
Well if I am spending Tudor money for a timepiece my expectations are that it runs within the time specs of COSC whether it is certified or not. A fine watch is not a fine watch unless it is accurate within those specs. Otherwise it is just a status symbol or jewelry.

Reminds me of a guy I knew in Vancouver in the 80's who bought a SS Rolex on a years layaway (translated - he really couldn't afford it - didn't own a car..) and when it stopped running (not sure why it did - it wasn't mine) he used to wear it out to nightclubs and house parties anyway - just to get the stares and occasional comments - even though it did not run!!
TimeOnMyHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2013, 02:14 AM   #40
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOnMyHands View Post
Well if I am spending Tudor money for a timepiece my expectations are that it runs within the time specs of COSC whether it is certified or not. A fine watch is not a fine watch unless it is accurate within those specs. Otherwise it is just a status symbol or jewelry.

Reminds me of a guy I knew in Vancouver in the 80's who bought a SS Rolex on a years layaway (translated - he really couldn't afford it - didn't own a car..) and when it stopped running (not sure why it did - it wasn't mine) he used to wear it out to nightclubs and house parties anyway - just to get the stares and occasional comments - even though it did not run!!
Most all mechanical movements made today could with careful regulation match or exceed the now quite antiquated COSC test.And being a certified Swiss chronometer is not the holy grail of watch making.And most all Rolex watches will in there life need some sort of regulation.And the COSC certification is only at the time of testing the bare uncased movement.It does not guarantee it will run to that spec for life,but with normal routine service Rolex will do its best to keep it there with regulation.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2013, 02:31 AM   #41
TimeOnMyHands
Banned

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Most all mechanical movements made today could with careful regulation match or exceed the now quite antiquated COSC test.And being a certified Swiss chronometer is not the holy grail of watch making.And most all Rolex watches will in there life need some sort of regulation.And the COSC certification is only at the time of testing the bare uncased movement.It does not guarantee it will run to that spec for life,but with normal routine service Rolex will do its best to keep it there with regulation.
And I am pleased to convey that out of six Rolex I have owned, and the two I still have - all have run within COSC! Omega, Breitling, UN's, IWC's all have as well. I would expect my AD to be able to regulate any new Tudor to achieve that accuracy without hesitation! If not....well...
TimeOnMyHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2013, 02:47 AM   #42
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
So.
Old 25 July 2013, 03:00 AM   #43
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOnMyHands View Post
And I am pleased to convey that out of six Rolex I have owned, and the two I still have - all have run within COSC! Omega, Breitling, UN's, IWC's all have as well. I would expect my AD to be able to regulate any new Tudor to achieve that accuracy without hesitation! If not....well...
Well most any good watchmaker could regulate it its not rocket science hardest part is getting the back off.Once on the timing machine they can very quickly regulate the beat rate.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2013, 05:16 AM   #44
Baselman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665 GreatWhite SD
What do you expect with an eta movement watch - you get what you pay for and a movement that in a month would be 13x30 390seconds fast or slow (6.5minutes) is a complete joke. I'd never buy a watch with those stats! A Rolex COSC movement is 99.9999% accurate.
Baselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2013, 05:28 AM   #45
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baselman View Post
What do you expect with an eta movement watch - you get what you pay for and a movement that in a month would be 13x30 390seconds fast or slow (6.5minutes) is a complete joke. I'd never buy a watch with those stats! A Rolex COSC movement is 99.9999% accurate.

The best yet.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 25 July 2013, 05:32 AM   #46
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Gaining COSC status means little to Rolex, Omega, Tudor and other top selling brands. Doubt more than 2% of buyers know or care. Of course, here @ TRF, 100% care about actual performance, not alphabet soup.

But COSC does serve a valid purpose for those people trying to break into the game with their own movements. It serves to validate the ability to produce accurate movements.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2013, 05:55 AM   #47
Tony-GB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116680 & 116622
As part of Tudor's rebranding, they are going to copy Patek by inventing their own quality seal. Patek Philippe uses PP & Tudor will use Tudor in Time. So if you see TiT on the rotor, you know it's a newer model.

http://www.helenanddouglas.org.uk/

www.cheetah.org
Tony-GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2013, 06:18 AM   #48
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
So if you see TiT on the rotor, you know it's a newer model.

Wouldn't want to see old one

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2013, 06:27 AM   #49
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidal View Post
I was reading into the latest WatchTime Magazine today and guess what....

The black bay average deviation is +13 seconds per day.....hmmmm. Thinking!
Perhaps the Black Bay that they had in hand was off by that much, some watches are, regardless of their "certification"...

If it were mine I would take it in for proper timing and not assume that no COSC certification has anything to do with it's capabilities...
Old 25 July 2013, 08:03 AM   #50
Baselman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665 GreatWhite SD
Is this Tudor Real thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergio671980 View Post
So I ran into this vintage tudor is a 94010 from the 70's and was wondering if anyone could tell if its good...
Thanks
Yes it's real - really slow or really fast
Baselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2013, 09:29 AM   #51
FLY-DOG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1991 Submariner
IMHO COSC certification is advertising hype..... my 1969 Air King (not COSC Certified) is accurate to within 1 second per month and both my COSC certified Subs are 1 1/2 to 2 seconds fast per day! All are serviced and regulated but the Air King is my only Rolex that is that accurate. I could probably get my subs closer if I were to leave them for a long term testing and adjustment session with a competent watchmaker but the cost to wring out those 2 seconds per day and get them close to the Air King accuracy might not be worth it. I can live with anything within 2 seconds per day.
2010 Submariner 16610 LV
2014 James Cameron Deepsea Sea Dweller Blue 116660
FLY-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2013, 09:32 AM   #52
SUBversive
Banned

Watch: Sun Dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
13 seconds a day! How awful. That's about a half of a second each hour. Imagine the horror...that might cause you to be three seconds early for an afternoon meeting!

That's it. I'm selling all of my mechanical watches and keeping only my G-Shock.
SUBversive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2013, 09:41 AM   #53
threemonkeys
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc, AK, LVc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
So.
X2

I was going to reply 'OMG !!!' to the OP. But I like your response better.
threemonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2013, 11:27 AM   #54
c.rod
"TRF" Member

Cosc thing is "fixed" IMO. Marketing...

I have a non cosc oris dermeistertaucher regulator that was running ridiculous accuracy.
+15sec in 45 days or something like that. Can't remember. I had to triple check it because I couldn't believe it. And I originally thought that was impossible from a non cosc
c.rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2013, 11:35 AM   #55
eeh100773
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060 T Series '96
13 seconds off? Let me guess, you checked it against your smartphone. Not trying to be a wisea$$ here, but does a minute and a half a week really matter?
eeh100773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2013, 12:00 PM   #56
Tudor Fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Actually reading the other posts before posting yourself may improve the quality on you contribution to the discussion.
Tudor Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2013, 12:10 PM   #57
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFX View Post
Not so fast cheeta! I was checking my rolex against my gshock every couple days to see how fast/slow it was running. Every time I looked they were perfectly in sync. Figured I had some miracle rolex keeping perfect time. So gave them both a quick check against an online clock to find they were both running +3
Haha, really? For some reason I assumed the G-Shock would be exact. Maybe I should get a microstella tool and regulate my Casio...
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2013, 12:12 PM   #58
cajunron
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeh100773 View Post
13 seconds off? Let me guess, you checked it against your smartphone. Not trying to be a wisea$$ here, but does a minute and a half a week really matter?
No, but 6 minutes a month do!
Old 21 March 2014, 11:23 PM   #59
Chai
"TRF" Member

Hi,
my Tudor BB runs at -2 seconds/day slow....which i guess is really good as it is new and I havent really worn it.
Chai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2014, 12:09 AM   #60
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Quote: