The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 September 2020, 02:33 AM   #181
Xerxes77
Banned

If you have money then it’s ok....
But I think you miss the most wonderful part.....hunting
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 02:35 AM   #182
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

You know what they say. It isn't about the destination -- it's the journey.

Enjoy
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 03:51 AM   #183
zjd168
"TRF" Member

no if you practically have unlimited fund, yes if you will need to sell some later to fund other new pieces

Guess to the OP, the answer is obviously the former, as this seems like the major reason to start the thread to let people know :-)
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 04:26 AM   #184
Boothy84
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR, DJ
What about visiting an AD and trying to build a relationship, it seems you have a nice disposable income to spend on watches if you've bought all of the watches you stated on the grey market. I think it may feel more special and more exciting trying to obtain them the hard way than the easy way, its part of the chase right?

But hey, if you've got the money? Why not. I don't blame you.
Boothy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 06:33 AM   #185
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
If you want a respectable collection quickly without having to spend a lot of time learning about watches just search for "most iconic watches" and buy those. At least you will know you have bought watches that are more than the latest fad.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 06:42 AM   #186
moneymike83
Banned

Watch: Sd43

If you have the money, don’t have to worry about what other people have to say. I buy what I like and ignore what people say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
moneymike83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 08:01 AM   #187
bmb15
Banned

Weird and useless thread! My opinion only. Very quickly scanned through, the OP did not show one photo, maybe all BS ...
bmb15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 11:01 AM   #188
GVAZQUEZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: KERMIT 16610LV
Go for it, if money is not an issue which dose not seem like it. Batman and Hulk you can’t buy from an AD so go grey. Daytona search for a good deal. Congrats on your watch collection building, you only live once and tomorrow is not assured.

Be safe and enjoy your new watches!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GVAZQUEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 01:34 PM   #189
Nighttrain805
"TRF" Member

If you have the money, get all the watches you want and can find.
Nighttrain805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 02:35 PM   #190
junamuan
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Where's the fun there? It's the journey that makes it fun and worthwhile.
Old 21 September 2020, 04:30 PM   #191
17noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I don't see a problem with it, if you got the funds. I personally enjoy the hunt, and understanding more about the piece. Usually 1-2 watches a year.
17noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 05:50 PM   #192
Librandox
Banned

Why not? If you have the money then go for it! Gives you something different to wear everyday or every few days. As someone posted here though, don't just go for grail/ hype models. Buy the ones you really like also.
Librandox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 06:07 PM   #193
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRickles View Post
Nobody's keeping a tally on your purchases but you.....

Have to agree and several members has asked for pictures in this thread so please Mr Tally post some pictures with your user name on paper in your picture with your collection of excellent Rolex watches thank you..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 06:16 PM   #194
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have to agree and several members has asked for pictures in this thread so please Mr Tally post some pictures with your user name on paper in your picture with your collection of excellent Rolex watches thank you..
And now OP has been summoned.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 12:19 AM   #195
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
And now OP has been summoned.
Well like yourself plus a few other members would love to see pictures of Mr Tally's watches.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 22 September 2020, 12:28 AM   #196
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well like yourself plus a few other members would love to see pictures of Mr Tally's watches.
I think we’re going to be waiting quite the long while on that one
Old 22 September 2020, 12:54 AM   #197
tally
"TRF" Member

i guess if a mod asks...

ordered the hulk on 31st August for a great price.
unsurprisingly 2 weeks later, the seller cancelled so still in the market for one. been busy at work lately so its taken a back seat for now.

here's my collection.
as i said previously, i dont think at this stage its that great. not sure why people would call BS

and to the haters...yeah i really started this thread to get some anonymous attention
check back here again for my steering wheel pic in my 2019 range rover...try not to turn green like this guy
tally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 01:02 AM   #198
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Thank you Mr Tally for posting your pictures.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 22 September 2020, 01:06 AM   #199
dmash
"TRF" Member

Kudos on the pics! I honestly didn’t believe you, proved me (and I’m sure some others) wrong.

Since you’re being honest with your original question, let me perhaps help. Are you actually really enjoying what you have? That’s a decent array of styles. Do you really like the Vartier for instance? Anything you’re not absolutely in love with, if you’ve got the $ to spend as you state, immediately just move that piece off and get something else.
Old 22 September 2020, 01:28 AM   #200
Norbert
"TRF" Member

NO! Welcome to the Club!
Norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 01:40 AM   #201
phillycheez
"TRF" Member

Your mistake was buying a big ass watch box. Every time you pick up a watch you see spaces that need to be filled.
phillycheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 02:44 AM   #202
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tally View Post
i guess if a mod asks...

unsurprisingly 2 weeks later, the seller cancelled so still in the market for one. been busy at work lately so its taken a back seat for now.

here's my collection.
as i said previously, i dont think at this stage its that great. not sure why people would call BS

and to the haters...yeah i really started this thread to get some anonymous attention
check back here again for my steering wheel pic in my 2019 range rover...try not to turn green like this guy
I am glad you posted this because after reading the OP I was going to suggest taking your time and not ending up with the same collection half of instagram seems to have. There are so many photos of "perfect 5 watch collections" that contain a Hulk, BLNR, BLRO, and both dial DaytonaC's. I mean, great, if that is what you like, but seeing nothing but "hot" models gets boring. At least mix in some classic Rolex pieces, or vintage, or a PM, or some other brands and maybe even a dress watch on leather (gasp). The "Insta" collections have started to bore me.

I would have said nothing of course if you hadn't asked for advice. I try to never trash people's collections or tastes. God knows not everyone likes my watches. That said, was nice seeing your photo and knowing you have a nice varied collection with multiple brands and looks. Good luck tracking down that Hulk. Will look great with your collection!

Love that Navitimer btw! I started collecting about 14 years ago with Breitling. They always hold a special place for me.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 02:47 AM   #203
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillycheez View Post
Your mistake was buying a big ass watch box. Every time you pick up a watch you see spaces that need to be filled.
This.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 03:29 AM   #204
tally
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Kudos on the pics! I honestly didn’t believe you, proved me (and I’m sure some others) wrong.

Since you’re being honest with your original question, let me perhaps help. Are you actually really enjoying what you have? That’s a decent array of styles. Do you really like the Vartier for instance? Anything you’re not absolutely in love with, if you’ve got the $ to spend as you state, immediately just move that piece off and get something else.
cheers.

perhaps my initial post came across that im buying whatever is hot right now but thats not the case. all the watches i have and intend to have i think look awesome and plan to have them forever (unless my financial situation changes). i just dont see the point in taking ages "hunting" watches when you know the price is going to go up the longer you take.

Love the cartier. i think its most classic looking one in my collection. perfect for a formal evening event with a tuxedo.
Unfortunately that's one of the few occasions I would wear it - defo not a day time walking the high street kinda watch for me.
Old 22 September 2020, 03:30 AM   #205
tally
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillycheez View Post
Haha true that.

ive already envisioned which watch goes where
Old 22 September 2020, 03:38 AM   #206
Mgf8462
"TRF" Member

I feel like the process of amassing a collection is the fun part. Building a relationship with an AD, getting the call, claiming this prize you've been dreaming about is what makes it fun and special. You're just following the hype and bragging about getting ripped off by grey dealers for double the price of your SS models.
Mgf8462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 03:46 AM   #207
tally
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgf8462 View Post
I feel like the process of amassing a collection is the fun part. Building a relationship with an AD, getting the call, claiming this prize you've been dreaming about is what makes it fun and special. You're just following the hype and bragging about getting ripped off by grey dealers for double the price of your SS models.
My OP39 was purchased from an AD. I didn't really know much about the whole relationship thing and hard to get pieces back then so didnt bother remembering who the SA was.

A few months later I popped in and asked about the no date sub only to be told there;s a very long list and ill have to wait a very long time. told the lady i recently purchased a rolex from them and she said that doesnt change much.

cant be bothered with the relationship thing. would rather pay a bit more and get what i want when i want without being at the mercy of someone else.
also i dont want to buy a watch unless i really want in in my collection.
Old 22 September 2020, 03:53 AM   #208
phillycheez
"TRF" Member

What you are doing is pretty normal.

You will gain a collection. You will wear it. Realize what you don't like. Sell. Buy. Sell. Buy. Sell...

Until you really know what you actually want.

The only difference in your journey is that it sounds like you have enough funds to accelerate the process to that enlightenment.
phillycheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 05:23 AM   #209
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tally View Post
i guess if a mod asks...

Lol he screwed you out of that deal because he realized after the new Kermit he could sell it for 8k more.

If that is the case, pathetic dealer.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 05:41 AM   #210
zengineer
"TRF" Member

I guess it's sort of already been suggested and shot down, but I would still suggest the only reason to pump the brakes a bit is that someone like yourself willing to buy a bunch of watches, and not all Rolex, would be able to build a relationship with an AD so that long term you could get your fix at MSRP and not the inflated prices.

If you don't care about money, don't care about showing off, don't want to wait for anything or be bothered with building a relationship then I'm really not sure what we can offer. It's not how I would (or do) build a collection but I don't have crazy money, am willing to wait or just do without if the cost is out of line and don't mind putting in a little time.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote