The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 26 April 2012, 02:14 AM   #31
dukerules
"TRF" Member

I really for the life of me can't understand why people constantly state the PO is a better watch than the Sub C. I give the nod to the Sub C in balance, refinement, heritage, and wearability. The movements question is a toss up, but in no way would I concede that Omega wins there either. The PO is a great piece, but brand new it is not that much cheaper than a Sub C. Wear whatever you like, but I would never make the trade personally.

Instagram: dukerules
dukerules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2012, 03:58 AM   #32
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukerules View Post
I really for the life of me can't understand why people constantly state the PO is a better watch than the Sub C. I give the nod to the Sub C in balance, refinement, heritage, and wearability. The movements question is a toss up, but in no way would I concede that Omega wins there either. The PO is a great piece, but brand new it is not that much cheaper than a Sub C. Wear whatever you like, but I would never make the trade personally.
This is subjective. Balance and refinement goes to Omega. There is nothing balanced or refined about Rolex's maxi case, the shiny bezel doesn't work for me either. Rolex wins the heritage obviously, wearability I don't know. Omega's 8500 movement is still pretty new compared to Rolex so we will see how that works out in the long run, but it is promising. Considering that you will get a better discount on the Omega the price difference is big. We can agree on that you should wear whatever you like though
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2012, 10:14 AM   #33
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I would only sell the Sub if I was 100 percent sure I would not want one in the future. Wedding expenses can be cut. Making vows should not be so expensive ;>)

Benson 1937 Sterling Silver Hunter
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2012, 11:56 AM   #34
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pirate View Post
Guys,

BIG dilemma. Im getting married this summer and can only afford one watch for now... I really like the new omega PO 8500 on bracelet and rubber. Done a lot of research and it would be a good pickup. However my random serial subc I picked up at the end of the year is my baby. I'm such a sub head. Problem is, I could get cash in a trade for the PO and put it toward some much needed expenses... Should I trade or keep the sub and hold out for the PO later on, sucking up the expenses, OR trade and re-buy the sub again lol. Thanks again, I hope to get some much needed advice. Cheers.
PO is tough to beat.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2012, 11:59 AM   #35
archeophoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M Submariner
I have a completely different suggestion. Do a small wedding, keep both watches and buy your future wife a nice Rolex, too.
I never understood people's obsession with big, expensive weddings.
My wedding was 26 people (close family and REAL friends), outside at a beautiful spot and cost $2000 total. After the wedding two friends came up to me and said: "Man, that was nice! If I had to do my wedding over I would do it like yours!". All in all this was our nicest day ever and even if we would have spent 50K on it it could not have been any nicer.
archeophoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2012, 12:10 PM   #36
wardman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-c date
I checked out a PO 8500 and 2500 today and it was about 30% less money than the Sub-c I was looking at. It is more thick than the Sub-c, but the less wide bezel make for a larger face and it's not hidden by a large cyclops.

Trust me - I want to love a Sub-c or GMTII-c, but something about the amount of black on black, gloss, and the cyclops just don't say jump on my wrist.

I'll give the braclet and clasp to the Rolex, but all else to the PO 2500 or 8500.

Keep the PO in my opinion.
wardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2012, 12:14 PM   #37
SUPERDOC
"TRF" Member

I think that the Writing is on the Wall for Omega --- at some point you will look back at current MSRP as a Bargain....

at the same time - with regard to the Sub-C -- a price increase is as sure as Death and taxes...

I love Omega, and find that he boutique strategy is starting to have its desired effect in even the short amount of time it's been in action...but even I would't trade...

BUT if you have the means ( Elope - do the 'weddingmoon' thing - I did and have no regrets and amzing wedding pics from St. Lucia)
Get a Blue PO to compliment your Sub-c...

I think that before too long Omega will again be neck and Neck with Rolex...

the Asian Market is a Bull -- you should see them snatch up the Louis vuitton and Chanel like it was penny candy... If they are willing to pay top dollar for Omega..the rest of us will be Collateral damage as far as omega/swatch is concerned.. as they continue to crank up the price...
SUPERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2012, 12:36 PM   #38
mfserge
Banned

Watch: YM40 Rhodium
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDOC View Post
I think that the Writing is on the Wall for Omega --- at some point you will look back at current MSRP as a Bargain....
I completely agree, the new PO's are a great value. With a standard discount (which isn't hard to find) you can get into a PO 8500 for under $5k. Where can you get an inhouse movement with ceramic bezel for that price?? And the watch is absolutely awesome. I much prefer the shape and finish of the case over Rolex. I prefer the sub-c clasp over Omega's, but Omega wins in every other category IMO.

Sell the Sub, bank some cash, and get yourself an awesome Planet Ocean.
mfserge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2012, 01:18 PM   #39
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
I would not trade the Sub for PO. That being said, I really like the new PO and can see me adding it to my stable, but NOT at my Sub's expense.
Old 26 April 2012, 01:40 PM   #40
Rockland
"TRF" Member

What about a choice between a Sub C and a planet ocean chrono 9300?
Price is comparable. What would you buy?
Rockland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2012, 02:15 PM   #41
Lagunatic
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LN
Quote:
Guys,

BIG dilemma. Im getting married this summer and can only afford one watch for now... I really like the new omega PO 8500 on bracelet and rubber. Done a lot of research and it would be a good pickup. However my random serial subc I picked up at the end of the year is my baby. I'm such a sub head. Problem is, I could get cash in a trade for the PO and put it toward some much needed expenses... Should I trade or keep the sub and hold out for the PO later on, sucking up the expenses, OR trade and re-buy the sub again lol. Thanks again, I hope to get some much needed advice. Cheers.
keep the sub
Lagunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2012, 04:58 PM   #42
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockland View Post
The Sub, as chrono's isn't my thing. (Except Speedy pro's)
Old 26 April 2012, 09:35 PM   #43
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockland View Post
The new 9300 PO is beautiful but it's a LARGE piece. Fits like a tank on my wrist. The Sub is definitely more wearable for everyday use.
Old 26 April 2012, 10:48 PM   #44
EPS3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600/Breit/Omega
I would trade the SubC and get the PO LM and use the cash for a more memorable wedding, just like what i did in trading my Sea-dweller and got the Planet Ocean XL chrono and bought myself an automatic espresso machine..... im much happier with this watch than the 40mm SD, i like big, thick watch, i have a 7" wrist size too.
EPS3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2012, 11:58 PM   #45
S``
"TRF" Member

Try on both and decide... it's that easy
S`` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2012, 12:15 AM   #46
Mahkota

I like the new PO will get the black one soon. I also have the old PO 2500C and a SubC. I would not trade my SubC for any PO + cash.
The cyclops will come in handy when youre 60+ :)
You will regret selling it then or perhaps you will regret it for the rest of your life hehehe dont do it my man!
Mahkota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2012, 01:27 AM   #47
dimster
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't do the trade in a million years. Keep the sub and look for the PO on the pre-loved market. They depreciate a hell alot more than a Rolex Sub.
Or keep the sub and save up for a PO.
dimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2012, 04:41 AM   #48
impalass
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD / LV / Daytona
Been an Omega/Rolex watches only guy for over 30 yrs. Speaking from personal experience you will regret flipping the SubC period.

Make some cuts to the wedding plan, no offence, but they do tend to get too extravagent these days, (my opinion only) and deffinately pick up the Omega asap before the mortgage/kids steamroller gets into gear. Then you'll have the best of both worlds and live happly ever after.

All the best on your upcoming nuptuals, and good luck with whatever choice you make.
impalass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2012, 11:23 AM   #49
btrizzy
"TRF" Member

I'd go for the planet ocean.
btrizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2012, 04:24 AM   #50
Hoppyjr
"TRF" Member

I have owned the Sub-C and traded it away with no regrets. I currently own a PO 8500 and its an amazing piece.

I'd do the deal that brings you the PO and cash toward the wedding expenses. You can tell the Mrs.-to-be that you wanted to help more with the expenses so you sold your Rolex and I'd bet big $$$ that she will think you are an even better guy for making that sacrifice in the name of the wedding. When she says so, tell her "although I love the Rolex, I can get another when we can afford it - I'm only getting married once"
You'll start married life with points in the good column (which you'll need because the other column fills up fast). She will appreciate the gesture and you'll have another Sub in no time.

Both of my ex-wives would have been impressed with such a gesture ;)

sent using Tapatalk
Hoppyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2012, 04:54 AM   #51
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by impalass View Post
Been an Omega/Rolex watches only guy for over 30 yrs. Speaking from personal experience you will regret flipping the SubC period.

Make some cuts to the wedding plan, no offence, but they do tend to get too extravagent these days, (my opinion only) and deffinately pick up the Omega asap before the mortgage/kids steamroller gets into gear. Then you'll have the best of both worlds and live happly ever after.

All the best on your upcoming nuptuals, and good luck with whatever choice you make.
Now THIS sounds like a man with experience!
Old 1 May 2012, 11:09 AM   #52
Rockland
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabaiguan View Post
The new 9300 PO is beautiful but it's a LARGE piece. Fits like a tank on my wrist. The Sub is definitely more wearable for everyday use.
Well I chose the POC even though my friend told me I HAD to get a Rolex for my first watch, because that is what EVERYONE does (and that is what he did).

So now I have to decide what my second watch will be: Rolex Sub C or IWC 5001 :)
Old 1 May 2012, 01:52 PM   #53
08pirate
"TRF" Member

BIG thanks to everyone who has posted... Got me thinking...

The money would be to increase our emergency fund quickly.. the watch doesn't matter too much, she doesn't care if I keep or sell... Just doesn't want a lot of watches floating around lol. The only thing that is losing out for me on the Sub is the SHINY bezel. I wish they had made it matte. It doesn't retain the classic black all the time like the old sub did ;( the names on the dial have no matter to me, I care ab tech/materials/wearability/ and reliability. The PO seems to have 3/4 for me. Just bc the movement is too new to tell IMO. Love the si balance assembly. It does seem correct though that getting the subc later would be at the same or higher price for which I paid.. Used at that. It is amazing how you can put the PO on that exquisite rubber deploy strap. My favorite so far. Really surprised how Rolex hasn't offered a rubber included, seen the new Tudor pelagos?? Def a looker on the rubber. Ive decided to wait til my ad gets them in (PO8500) so I can try it on. Until then how can you not love this?? 😁

Leather Zulu

08pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2012, 02:03 PM   #54
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
Love Omega's, but don't do it... You'll regret it!
iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2012, 01:43 AM   #55
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
The only thing that is losing out for me on the Sub is the SHINY bezel. I wish they had made it matte. It doesn't retain the classic black all the time like the old sub did ;( the names on the dial have no matter to me, I care ab tech/materials/wearability/ and reliability. The PO seems to have 3/4 for me. Just bc the movement is too new to tell IMO.
Now I'm really confused. If the money's not an issue & the major debate points are how you don't like the shiny bezel of the SubC & yet not 100% convinced about the new 8500 movement, then why not flip the SubC for a Sub? You'll put a little $ in your pocket, satisfy your 'shiny bezel problem' and still have essentially the same movement as the SubC.

Personally, because of the SubC improvements like the Glidelock, maxi-dial, ball-bearing ratchet bezel AND the 'shiny' ceramic bezel (I for one LOVE the ceramics over the (to me) cheap looking/feeling metal insert bezels w/ their painted on numerals) I would never consider going back to a Sub (and this coming from a guy that owned 3 Subs previously).

Not to mention I'm one of those huge fans of the Supercase...to me it gives it a bolder, much more sporty look when compared to the smaller & sleeker case of the Sub (and I like the feel of the added weight...makes the watch feel more substantial, yet still not overpowering).

Lastly, I wouldn't be too concerned about the 8500 not being a 'proven' movement. Something tells me the 8500/9300 movements are going to be around for a long, long time and are the new workhorses of Omega's lineup. Good luck.
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2012, 11:39 AM   #56
Rockland
"TRF" Member

I tried on the Sub C today for the first time. Have been wearing the POC 9300 for a month. Well, the Sub C felt like a ladies watch after owning the Planet Ocean Chrono. Is this a common reaction? I could never own a Sub now. Ever. Tried on a DSSD, and I guess that would be my only option.
Old 3 May 2012, 12:18 PM   #57
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukerules View Post
I have a SubC and the PO is awesome. Put a Rolex crown on it and it would be the greatest Sub ever made (technologically speaking.) I'll give the Sub the herritage win but look at the 8500 mvt. Sorry but a huge winner there. The only question is how will it be in 25 years. Right now it is superior. Rolex stepped up their game with the new clasps but the omega bracelet is truly wonderful. I still would buy the sub over it but take the branding off of both and look at it then.
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2012, 01:32 PM   #58
warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
That's the problem with many Rolex owners ( not you). It's called "name on the dial" disease...though, of course, most would never admit that about themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
I have a SubC and the PO is awesome. Put a Rolex crown on it and it would be the greatest Sub ever made (technologically speaking.) I'll give the Sub the herritage win but look at the 8500 mvt. Sorry but a huge winner there. The only question is how will it be in 25 years. Right now it is superior. Rolex stepped up their game with the new clasps but the omega bracelet is truly wonderful. I still would buy the sub over it but take the branding off of both and look at it then.
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2012, 02:05 PM   #59
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
well what did you do???

...i still havent changed my mind...even if the names on the watches were changed i would still pick the planet ocean
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2012, 08:52 PM   #60
asadtiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot PRX
my friendly opinion is, go for the PO 8500..it is an absolutely amazing watch and it will save you the much needed cash...you canalways save for the sub again and even if you still want it that bad, then you can dispose the PO for the sub..this will give you taste of both, an opportunity to enjoy change and the much needed cash at acritical time...follow this and you wont regret..although I already know that once you buy the PO 8500, you really wont want to change back to sub
asadtiger is offline   Reply With Quote