The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: AD performing a “background check”
YES - I have nothing to hide and it will prevent flipping 41 28.67%
NO - It’s nobody’s business / ADs should sell to anyone 83 58.04%
Don’t know / Don’t care / Other 19 13.29%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12 August 2020, 04:30 AM   #61
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Exactly, the AD sells all of their inventory.

You simply want to alter who it goes to because you are unhappy. Welcome to life, get on with it.
Not sure how you concluded I’m “unhappy” because I started a discussion topic. But, yes, my thread is to share opinions on ADs vetting clients to prevent from selling to brokers and flippers.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 04:34 AM   #62
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
Not sure how you concluded I’m “unhappy” because I started a discussion topic. But, yes, my thread is to share opinions on ADs vetting clients to prevent from selling to brokers and flippers.
Quote:
Are you willing to do your part in the effort to minimize flipping?

Why else would you be interested in reducing something that has no effect on you then?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 04:44 AM   #63
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Why else would you be interested in reducing something that has no effect on you then?
Because this is a discussion forum and I occasionally create threads or polls to discuss topics and share my opinions.

BTW, I can 100% guarantee I have been vetted by at least two ADs to verify who I am and discern my intentions.
Old 12 August 2020, 04:45 AM   #64
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
BTW, I can 100% guarantee I have been vetted by at least two ADs to verify who I am and garner my intentions.
Then you should be all set
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 04:55 AM   #65
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Then you should be all set
You have a great collection. Very impressive.
Old 12 August 2020, 05:07 AM   #66
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
3. Not sure I understand your flipper question. But, if the AD surmises the person is a broker or buying to flip, the AD just says the watch is unavailable or they skip that person — which is something that happens every single day anyway.
So they can sell a normal watch to someone they regard as a broker? but will not sell a highly regarded watch to? Surely you see the ethics problem there? They decide that because someone is a broker they are disqualified from buying a certain watch, but, when it suits the AD, they can sell them a watch that is less desirable.

What if that person is a broker and buys a lot of normal watches, does he then get the chance to buy the rarer "in the back" watches? If not why, he is a high quantity buyer?

Who does the interview? A shop assistant perhaps, where is the information stored, what safeguards are there?

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 05:38 AM   #67
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
BTW, I can 100% guarantee I have been vetted by at least two ADs to verify who I am and discern my intentions.
Did you volunteer that information after being asked or was this behind the scenes?

I would tell them to pound salt if they asked to vet me.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 06:22 AM   #68
JChips
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
Did you volunteer that information after being asked or was this behind the scenes?

Yeah, no shit. Nobody’s business what I do with what I buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JChips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 06:22 AM   #69
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
IMO

ANYONE that would agree to an AD performing a background check to acquire a watch, has serious issues that should be addressed.

Old 12 August 2020, 06:32 AM   #70
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post

Fair question. First of all, any good salesperson is going to want to qualify or vet you - whether you are in a watch/jewelry store, furniture store, or car dealership.

They look at how you're groomed and dressed, how you talk, what watch you're wearing.

They ask you some questions:
What brings you in?
Do you live close by?
Where do you work? OR What do you do?
Are you celebrating something special?
What watches do you currently have?
What kind of watches are next for you?
Do you have a price range?
... There are 10-20 more things the SA can ask to find out more about you and your intentions.

Secondly, if you want to establish a good relationship with an AD, your best bet is to visit them in person, share your story, and give them the information they need to feel comfortable selling to you. Some people may not believe this... but, ADs keep plenty of desirable watches in the back and can make a split second decision whether or not to offer you a particular watch based on their intuition. They do not put ANY desirable watches in the case for some random person to walk in and try it on.

I have been told pretty directly... if you call, you will never be offered anything, period. Direct quote: "I want to know who I'm selling to. I want to know you are going to wear the watch." Is this 100% of the time? Of course not.

In one case, I met personally with the General Manager of the company. Another AD, the Store Director made a special trip to meet me in person on a Saturday -- when this person runs Sales/Operations and doesn't even work in the physical store.

In summary, it's not something they have to do behind the scenes. They capture all your info, enter it into their CRM system, do a little research on you (do you actually live where you told them, what is your history, etc.), and then -- suddenly -- they either have the watch you want, put you on the list, or throw your request in the proverbial trash can. So, if you want to be treated well, you should WANT TO BE VETTED. If you are evasive and the AD believes your story doesn't add up, it may work out for you or it may not.... but I would guess your chances are greatly reduced.

My 2 cents.
Old 12 August 2020, 06:44 AM   #71
JChips
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Fair question. First of all, any good salesperson is going to want to qualify or vet you - whether you are in a watch/jewelry store, furniture store, or car dealership.

They look at how you're groomed and dressed, how you talk, what watch you're wearing.

What brings you in?
Do you live close by?
... There are 10-20 more things the SA can ask to find out more about you and your intentions.

Secondly, if you want to establish a good relationship with an AD, your best bet is to visit them in person, share your story, and give them the information they need to feel comfortable selling to you. Some people may not believe this... but, ADs keep plenty of desirable watches in the back and can make a split second decision whether or not to offer you a particular watch based on their intuition. They do not put ANY desirable watches in the case for some random person to walk in and try it on.

I have been told pretty directly... if you call, you will never be offered anything, period. Direct quote: "I want to know who I'm selling to. I want to know you are going to wear the watch." Is this 100% of the time? Of course not.

In one case, I met personally with the General Manager of the company. Another AD, the Store Director made a special trip to meet me in person on a Saturday -- when this person runs Sales/Operations and doesn't even work in the physical store.

In summary, it's not something they have to do behind the scenes. They capture all your info, enter it into their CRM system, do a little research on you (do you actually live where you told them, what is your history, etc.), and then -- suddenly -- they either have the watch you want, put you on the list, or throw your request in the proverbial trash can. So, if you want to be treated well, you should WANT TO BE VETTED. If you are evasive and the AD believes your story doesn't add up, it may work out for you or it may not.... but I would guess your chances aren't greatly reduced.

My 2 cents.

Man, it’s easier to purchase nuclear components on the black market than a Rolex watch, according to this.

What’s next ? SAP code word access required before I can buy a watch ?

Old 12 August 2020, 07:46 AM   #72
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:

What brings you in?
Do you live close by?

In summary, it's not something they have to do behind the scenes. They capture all your info, enter it into their CRM system, do a little research on you (do you actually live where you told them, what is your history, etc.), and then -- suddenly -- they either have the watch you want, put you on the list, or throw your request in the proverbial trash can. So, if you want to be treated well, you should WANT TO BE VETTED. If you are evasive and the AD believes your story doesn't add up, it may work out for you or it may not.... but I would guess your chances aren't greatly reduced.

My 2 cents.

WOW !

) Would one be sent to a “work camp” in Siberia if the questions are not answered correctly ?

) Cane lashing possibly ?

) Publicly “whipped at the post” ?

) Spiked shackles for a year ?

This thread is enlightening.
Old 12 August 2020, 08:08 AM   #73
daveathall
"TRF" Member

The only thing an AD needs is confirmation that my debit card has been accepted on payment.

DAVE

Old 12 August 2020, 08:11 AM   #74
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
The only thing an AD needs is confirmation that my debit card has been accepted on payment.
If you think that strategy works better for you, more power to you!
Old 12 August 2020, 08:17 AM   #75
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you think that strategy works better for you, more power to you!
It does. I have never waited to buy any watch, if I am excluded because of it, then so be it, I am not one for buying wine or the like for an AD, the amount of money I spend, they should be courting me, not the other way round. I dont regard any AD as anything special.

DAVE

Old 12 August 2020, 09:21 AM   #76
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:

What brings you in?
Do you live close by?

In summary, it's not something they have to do behind the scenes. They capture all your info, enter it into their CRM system, do a little research on you (do you actually live where you told them, what is your history, etc.), and then -- suddenly -- they either have the watch you want, put you on the list, or throw your request in the proverbial trash can. So, if you want to be treated well, you should WANT TO BE VETTED. If you are evasive and the AD believes your story doesn't add up, it may work out for you or it may not.... but I would guess your chances are greatly reduced.

My 2 cents.
Sorry dude, that's just ridiculous. I will never work that hard to spend my money. I understand the friendly nature of small talk with an SA, but I am not subjecting myself to vetting or a background check (knowingly). My 2¢

And you still haven't answered my question if you have volunteered yourself to be vetted and background checked.

Quote:
the amount of money I spend, they should be courting me, not the other way round.
Exactly.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 12:01 AM   #77
jamesthejeweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: PLATONA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
Could this have also been about anti money laundering given the high value of something so easily transported globally ?
Maybe yes, but anti-money laundering is normally performed by a 'MLRO' employee in the compliance department of banks etc. I'm not sure it applies to highstreet retail. But I agree with you that is is a good question and maybe the reason why I was quizzed directly by Rolex Geneva.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

J-T-J
jamesthejeweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 02:43 AM   #78
JChips
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Exactly. Seems people have voluntarily reversed the table. I’m the one with the money, if the dealer expects something more than that - I will gladly take my business elsewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 13 August 2020, 03:09 AM   #79
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChips View Post
Exactly. Seems people have voluntarily reversed the table. I’m the one with the money, if the dealer expects something more than that - I will gladly take my business elsewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I agree.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 04:19 AM   #80
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChips View Post
Nothing wrong with that philosophy. Fair perspective.

If a dealer wants to feel more comfortable that I’m not a broker or flipper, I’m fine with that — as it works to my advantage.
Old 13 August 2020, 04:41 AM   #81
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nothing wrong with that philosophy. Fair perspective.

If a dealer wants to feel more comfortable that I’m not a broker or flipper, I’m fine with that — as it works to my advantage.
If I was the sales rep/manager/owner and I would hear you do the talking, I would die laughing that this is actually happening. It's just a watch. I have to put in more effort to get a Daytona than to get a girlfriend, wife and kids.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 05:47 AM   #82
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
I have to put in more effort to get a Daytona than to get a girlfriend, wife and kids.
Everybody gets a girlfriend / wife and kids. Not everybody gets a daytona

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 06:42 AM   #83
Flyinghunter
"TRF" Member

Privacy value > Any watch ever made
Flyinghunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 09:00 AM   #84
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesthejeweller View Post
Maybe yes, but anti-money laundering is normally performed by a 'MLRO' employee in the compliance department of banks etc. I'm not sure it applies to highstreet retail. But I agree with you that is is a good question and maybe the reason why I was quizzed directly by Rolex Geneva.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Some businesses, especially those that deal with high value cash exchanges, are required to report transactions above a certain threshold. It depends on the jurisdiction, but reporting may be only for cash transactions or all transactions > a certain amount.
Old 13 August 2020, 09:08 AM   #85
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
PASSING THE TEST - Are you OK with a “background check?”

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
Some businesses, especially those that deal with high value cash exchanges, are required to report transactions above a certain threshold. It depends on the jurisdiction, but reporting may be only for cash transactions or all transactions > a certain amount.

I bought my watch on my debit card. Only hiccup was I had to have my bank raise my daily spending limit.

What’s next OP? When the greys figure out how to get around the background checks it moves up to if your DNA is on a watch that was sold in the last 5 you get blacklisted? Will we eventually have to provide a mouth swab? Take a lie detector test? Sign some silly contract to prevent sale within a certain time frame?

I get your unhappiness but this nonsense of getting background checked to get a watch is absurd. It’s not a job, it’s not enrolling your kids in private school. It’s paying a large sum of money for a watch.

MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 11:28 AM   #86
MichaelFlash
"TRF" Member

Wow. Nuts someone would actually go to such lengths for a watch. Priorities matter.
MichaelFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 12:00 PM   #87
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
I'll agree to a polygraph test if the AD shows me the contents of their safe, and invites me to witness the unpacking of each shipment from Rolex. Oh, and discloses the exact nature of their relationship with the grey market.
Old 13 August 2020, 12:12 PM   #88
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

I just can’t believe what I’ve been reading. I mean...it’s just a watch.
What’s next? Agree in writing to donate vital organs to the AD for a “hard to find” reference?
For the poll I voted “don’t care”. Live a little. Ridiculous!
Old 13 August 2020, 12:16 PM   #89
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Any AD who did this is owned by an absolute psycho.
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 12:16 PM   #90
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airchitect View Post
Any AD who did this is owned by an absolute psycho.
Literally LOL