The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 August 2020, 04:04 PM   #1
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
BLNR 116710 discontinued?

A lot of people on the forums and WIS say the 116710 BLNR is discontinued. I don’t think you can say it’s been discontinued just upgraded to the 126710 BLNR with a new movement and new bracelet. What is the reasoning to say the 116710 BLNR is discontinued instead of being upgraded. To me the 116710 LN was discontinued. I’m just curious so I ask those with more knowledge then myself.

This isn’t like when they discontinued the SD4K and replaced it with the SD43. The BLNR is still a 40mm GMT with the same bezel and case (slightly slimmer lugs on the 126710) and a different bracelet and movement. It seems like people are saying the 116710 is discontinued to hype up their watch and raise the prices on the secondary market.

I own a 116710 BLNR because I got a good deal on it and I slightly prefer the look of the oyster bracelet. But I not once thought I was buying a discontinued piece. I could do a bracelet swap and have the same exact look as the newer model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 04:12 PM   #2
Podmornica
Banned

It feels like a whole different watch to me .. Trimmed lugs, new bracelet, new movement, added small crown on 6' o clock .. What else do you need really?
Podmornica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 04:17 PM   #3
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
The 116710BLNR is discontinued....that reference IS discontinued.
126710BLNR is a whole new model, although it remains a GMT2 with blue and black ceramic bezel.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 04:18 PM   #4
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
116710blnr was discontinued when they released the 126170blnr
Old 12 August 2020, 04:19 PM   #5
TankTom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podmornica View Post
It feels like a whole different watch to me .. Trimmed lugs, new bracelet, new movement, added small crown on 6' o clock .. What else do you need really?
Yes - the lugs being 0.0001mm thinner, the new movement which you wouldn’t even know is a new movement unless you were told, and the crown at the 6 (which you also wouldn’t have noticed unless you were told) makes it a whole different watch
TankTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 04:20 PM   #6
TankTom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by teabags001 View Post
A lot of people on the forums and WIS say the 116710 BLNR is discontinued. I don’t think you can say it’s been discontinued just upgraded to the 126710 BLNR with a new movement and new bracelet. What is the reasoning to say the 116710 BLNR is discontinued instead of being upgraded. To me the 116710 LN was discontinued. I’m just curious so I ask those with more knowledge then myself.

This isn’t like when they discontinued the SD4K and replaced it with the SD43. The BLNR is still a 40mm GMT with the same bezel and case (slightly slimmer lugs on the 126710) and a different bracelet and movement. It seems like people are saying the 116710 is discontinued to hype up their watch and raise the prices on the secondary market.

I own a 116710 BLNR because I got a good deal on it and I slightly prefer the look of the oyster bracelet. But I not once thought I was buying a discontinued piece. I could do a bracelet swap and have the same exact look as the newer model.

I’m afraid you are trying to talk sense to a forum of watch nerds (no offence intended). This is a losing battle
TankTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 04:22 PM   #7
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Imo it was refreshed - not discontinued. More of a facelift really (which would be practically impossible to tell without a different bracelet).
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 04:30 PM   #8
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TankTom View Post
Yes - the lugs being 0.0001mm thinner, the new movement which you wouldn’t even know is a new movement unless you were told, and the crown at the 6 (which you also wouldn’t have noticed unless you were told) makes it a whole different watch
Having owned both, and currently owning the 126710BLNR, I can confirm it does feel like a different watch (although I did love my 116710BLNR)

The jubilee feels so different, lighter and more comfortable, the power reserve difference for me is noticeable, it winds differently (different feel) and has other movement differences, and just as a whole feels different compared to the 116710BLNR.

Your comment above about “watch nerds” is very true....many of us are self confessed watch nerds...just so you know what to expect
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 04:49 PM   #9
Tom5518
Banned

Watch: Air King
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
Having owned both, and currently owning the 126710BLNR, I can confirm it does feel like a different watch (although I did love my 116710BLNR)

The jubilee feels so different, lighter and more comfortable, the power reserve difference for me is noticeable, it winds differently (different feel) and has other movement differences, and just as a whole feels different compared to the 116710BLNR.

Your comment above about “watch nerds” is very true....many of us are self confessed watch nerds...just so you know what to expect
I have a 116710 black bezel and a 126710BLNR and they are completely different watches to me. But I am a "watch nerd" to the max.

Tom5518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 04:56 PM   #10
teabags001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
Imo it was refreshed - not discontinued. More of a facelift really (which would be practically impossible to tell without a different bracelet).

This is my thinking. If they would have replaced it with something like the red and black bezel it would be discontinued. When in the history of Rolex have they ever discontinued a model then brought it back?

Old 12 August 2020, 04:57 PM   #11
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is my thinking. If they would have replaced it with something like the red and black bezel it would be discontinued. When in the history of Rolex have they ever discontinued a model then brought it back?

Arguably you could say the BLRO in steel was discontinued when the 5 digits went out of production and was reintroduced under the 6 digit reference recently.
Old 12 August 2020, 05:04 PM   #12
teabags001
Banned

Quote:
Arguably you could say the BLRO in steel was discontinued when the 5 digits went out of production and was reintroduced under the 6 digit reference recently.

I guess that’s kind of my point. The 5 digit BLRO was not considered discounted, just upgraded to the 6 digit Reference. Just like the 5 digit submariners were never discontinued just upgraded to the 6 digit reference with a lot more changes then between the 116710 BLNR and the 126710 BLNR.

Old 12 August 2020, 05:09 PM   #13
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I guess that’s kind of my point. The 5 digit BLRO was not considered discounted, just upgraded to the 6 digit Reference. Just like the 5 digit submariners were never discontinued just upgraded to the 6 digit reference with a lot more changes then between the 116710 BLNR and the 126710 BLNR.

I get it. Very different times now though as at the time there was no major hype around whether or not a model was to be discontinued. Lets face it, the main reason why the term is being thrown about is to add to the supposed rarity of a piece and to tempt buyers at a higher price.

I think there's a genuine reason to speculate the LV Sub will get "discontinued" (and i mean properly discontinued). But imagine paying $18k for one only to see it released with a newer movement?
Old 12 August 2020, 05:09 PM   #14
peterpl
Banned

I'm with the Op.

I never considered the BLNR as discontinued ever. Its just been upgraded.

But hey - excuse for anyone to make some $$ right. LOL
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 05:18 PM   #15
teabags001
Banned

Quote:
I get it. Very different times now though as at the time there was no major hype around whether or not a model was to be discontinued. Lets face it, the main reason why the term is being thrown about is to add to the supposed rarity of a piece and to tempt buyers at a higher price.

I think there's a genuine reason to speculate the LV Sub will get "discontinued" (and i mean properly discontinued). But imagine paying $18k for one only to see it released with a newer movement?

I agree. I have a sub LV. If they recase it I won’t consider mine to be discontinued. But if it gets pulled from the lineup then I will consider it to be discontinued and won’t expect to see it back at all.

Old 12 August 2020, 05:21 PM   #16
teabags001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
I'm with the Op.

I never considered the BLNR as discontinued ever. Its just been upgraded.

But hey - excuse for anyone to make some $$ right. LOL

Exactly. Rolex is all about the speculators and social media post these days. It’s all about “future and market value”. I get it. I too get caught up in some of the hype but I tend to come back down to earth.

Old 12 August 2020, 05:27 PM   #17
mister_poom
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
In my opinion, the term discontinued for the particular reference 116710 BLNR is not wrong. Because it is indeed not in production anymore for this particular reference.

But I also agree with you, we can say it is the upgraded version.

Both wordings are not wrong. In the end, I guess it depends how different people perceive and understand the word discontinued.

No right or wrong :)
mister_poom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 05:30 PM   #18
Wobbly
"TRF" Member

I like this thread as no stupid reference to Super hero’s names for watches.

But as the 116710 BLNR is no longer listed on Rolex-com, then it’s discontinued.
Wobbly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 05:32 PM   #19
teabags001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_poom View Post
In my opinion, the term discontinued for the particular reference 116710 BLNR is not wrong. Because it is indeed not in production anymore for this particular reference.

But I also agree with you, we can say it is the upgraded version.

Both wordings are not wrong. In the end, I guess it depends how different people perceive and understand the word discontinued.

No right or wrong :)

When you say “Rolex and discontinued” the value proposition increases dramatically. When you say “Rolex and upgraded” I think In most peoples mind it can have the opposite affect. Wouldn’t more people pay more for the newer upgraded watch? When the word discontinued starts being thrown around the value of said Rolex tends to rise more dramatically imo.

Old 12 August 2020, 05:45 PM   #20
mister_poom
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Quote:
When you say “Rolex and discontinued” the value proposition increases dramatically. When you say “Rolex and upgraded” I think In most peoples mind it can have the opposite affect. Wouldn’t more people pay more for the newer upgraded watch? When the word discontinued starts being thrown around the value of said Rolex tends to rise more dramatically imo.

Yes, I agree with you. Wordings can change the perception of a watch. For the Bleu Noir GMT, we should say it is upgraded. I also won't disagree with people using the term "discontinued" for the 116710 BLNR reference. Because this reference refers to a particular watch with a particular movement and bracelet. It is not in production anymore, therefore using the word "discontinued" is not wrong.

But like I said, in the end it just depends how you define the word "discontinued". No right or wrong from people using either "upgraded" or "discontinued"
mister_poom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 06:03 PM   #21
sunnygps
2024 Pledge Member

If the 116710 BLNR reference is not being manufactured anymore, it is discontinued. It was replaced with the newer model with a slight facelift and newer moment and jubilee bracelet. However, we look at it, the 116710 BLNR has been discontinued...
sunnygps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 06:22 PM   #22
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
116710 Discontinued. 126710BLNR is a whole different watch.
Not sure what’s to argue here, but when the innards have been changed, it’s got new shoes on and a lighter/slimmer bod, it’s a new watch.
Old 12 August 2020, 06:58 PM   #23
nachopc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Only
Quote:
Exactly. Rolex is all about the speculators and social media post these days. It’s all about “future and market value”. I get it. I too get caught up in some of the hype but I tend to come back down to earth.

Very simple buy only from AD prices.

BLNR is gone, that’s a completely new model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
nachopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 07:07 PM   #24
Steed
"TRF" Member

To my mind the change is similar to that seen in the Porsche 911’s evolution; the 992 replaced the 991, but it is still a 911, even though it has a substantially improved interior and engine. The 126710BLNR replaced the 116710BLNR and is a superior watch in terms of movement, but is still a BLNR GMT Master II. I do agree that the 126710BLNR wears differently on a jubilee to the Oyster on the 116710BLNR or LN however. Feels more summery/elegant/dressy.
Steed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 07:08 PM   #25
teabags001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
116710 Discontinued. 126710BLNR is a whole different watch.
Not sure what’s to argue here, but when the innards have been changed, it’s got new shoes on and a lighter/slimmer bod, it’s a new watch.

I would say all of the things you mentioned would be considered upgrades as the overall look of the watch is practically the same besides the bracelet. I don’t think anyone can tell the slightly slimmer case or the crown on the dial. Yes it has a new movement but to me it’s an upgrade as all of the Rolex lineup seems to be going to this new movement.

Would you consider the Yachtmaster 116622 40mm discontinued because it has a new movement and slightly different dial or would you consider it upgraded? Just curious. I think all SS GMTs have gone to jubilee not to make a new model but to differentiate it from the SS submariner lines.

Old 12 August 2020, 07:14 PM   #26
teabags001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steed View Post
To my mind the change is similar to that seen in the Porsche 911’s evolution; the 992 replaced the 991, but it is still a 911, even though it has a substantially improved interior and engine. The 126710BLNR replaced the 116710BLNR and is a superior watch in terms of movement, but is still a BLNR GMT Master II. I do agree that the 126710BLNR wears differently on a jubilee to the Oyster on the 116710BLNR or LN however. Feels more summery/elegant/dressy.

So this is a good analogy. Evolution of the 116710 BLNR. I agree I think the new BLNR on paper is superior to the older model. Looks being subjective. I prefer the oyster. At the end of the day it’s still a BLNR GMT Master ll like you said.

Old 12 August 2020, 07:17 PM   #27
APPRF
"TRF" Member

Rolex is very conservative in making changes to their models. When you get a new movement, a bracelet change, crown on the dial, different reference, and slimmer lugs we can safely say a model is discontinued by Rolex standards. Rollex nerds will take what little change they can get from Rolex and make a big deal of it. This happens with a lot of references. SD43 Mk1 and Mk2 ring a bell? that was just adding a crown on the dial and you went looking for the Mk1 and 2017 model specifically. Meanwhile we get all these changes to the BLNR and you are surprised when they call it discontinued.
APPRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 07:21 PM   #28
Miexpeman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Sky Dweller,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
The 116710BLNR is discontinued....that reference IS discontinued.
126710BLNR is a whole new model, although it remains a GMT2 with blue and black ceramic bezel.

Exactly this.

Miexpeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 07:31 PM   #29
teabags001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by APPRF View Post
Rolex is very conservative in making changes to their models. When you get a new movement, a bracelet change, crown on the dial, different reference, and slimmer lugs we can safely say a model is discontinued by Rolex standards. Rollex nerds will take what little change they can get from Rolex. SD43 Mk1 and Mk2 ring a bell? that was just adding a crown on the dial and you went looking for the Mk1 and 2017 model specifically. Meanwhile we get all these changes to the BLNR and you are surprised when they call it discontinued.

I did get the SD43 MK1. But I don’t think the MK1 is a discontinued SD43. Just the true anniversary model of the 50th anniversary 126610.

I have the 116710 BLNR. I should be in the camp that it’s discontinued since it will only inflate the price imo. But I personally don’t see it as a true discontinue. Yes they don’t make the exact model so I get why people say it’s discontinued. But they still make the BLNR so imo I see it as a upgrade or evolution of the BLNR GMT. When and if they pull the BLNR from the catalog completely then I will personally consider it discontinued.

Old 12 August 2020, 07:37 PM   #30
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podmornica View Post
That constitutes a massive change in Rolex world ! A completely new model ...