The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 August 2020, 10:16 PM   #31
MattyL147
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
No sense whatsoever. I dig it. I wouldn't mind a couple in my box. Buying top shelf rubber only watches - that were previously Oyster bracelet watches I might add. Nah.
This thread probably separates the value shopper from the wealthy WIS. I'm happy to be the former.
I’m far from wealthy, but still love my OF. Likely wouldn’t be my one and only but I’m fortunate to own one!
MattyL147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 10:23 PM   #32
SearChart
TechXpert

Absolutely love the look of a YG oysterflex daytona, bit pricey tho
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 10:40 PM   #33
athens7
2024 Pledge Member

I bought my OF Daytona for several reasons:
  • Comfort
  • Resistance to wear and tear
  • Contrast between the PM and ceramic bezel

Both OF and bracelet versions are (to me) expensive luxury items, but I would argue that if you can afford a $30K watch, you can afford a $38K watch, so the difference is one of preference.

As to long term wear, a Daytona worn hard enough to destroy an OF bracelet will also destroy a PM one. It will be easier, less expensive, and less invasive to replace an OF bracelet than to polish or replace a PM bracelet.
athens7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 10:55 PM   #34
MattyL147
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by athens7 View Post
I bought my OF Daytona for several reasons:
  • Comfort
  • Resistance to wear and tear
  • Contrast between the PM and ceramic bezel

Both OF and bracelet versions are (to me) expensive luxury items, but I would argue that if you can afford a $30K watch, you can afford a $38K watch, so the difference is one of preference.

As to long term wear, a Daytona worn hard enough to destroy an OF bracelet will also destroy a PM one. It will be easier, less expensive, and less invasive to replace an OF bracelet than to polish or replace a PM bracelet.
I agree, to a point, about it you’re able to afford $30k, you’re able to afford $38k, but at some point there needs to be a cut off. If you’re shopping for a $90k car, but you find one for $100k that you love, you should be able to afford it. And then you should be able to afford $110k, then $120k.

At some point people just put a cap on it. My cap was $30k. Could I afford $38k? Yes. Did I want to spend that? No.

Keep in mind a PM Daytona not on OF was never on my radar. The only Daytona I’ve ever wanted was the 519LN.
MattyL147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 11:59 PM   #35
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyL147 View Post
I agree, to a point, about it you’re able to afford $30k, you’re able to afford $38k, but at some point there needs to be a cut off. If you’re shopping for a $90k car, but you find one for $100k that you love, you should be able to afford it. And then you should be able to afford $110k, then $120k.

At some point people just put a cap on it. My cap was $30k. Could I afford $38k? Yes. Did I want to spend that? No.

Keep in mind a PM Daytona not on OF was never on my radar. The only Daytona I’ve ever wanted was the 519LN.
Ha, this sounds like my first luxary car purchase. Started at 30kUSD budget, then next thing I knew I was shopping in the 65-70k range and thinking about stretching to 80k. Decided it was wise to step back down to about half that.

To the OP, I think you may need to mentally detach from the price a bit and think purely about what aesthetics you want. The spread between the two on the secondary has always been about 6-8k apart. For first time PM, I always recommend the bracelet experience first. But really, once that itch has been scratched, then you'll start being able to enjoy things like a patek on leather (so cheap vs gold!) and enjoy the watch purely for what it is without obsessing about the relative value of the gold bracelet.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 01:30 AM   #36
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseShu View Post
What will oysterflex look like 10 years from now? 20 years?
Its longevity will not compare with metal bracelets, no question about that.
Well, here's mine after nearly two years of ownership. Let's see what a PCL bracelet looks like after two years of consistent wear.

Oh, and don't forget the bezel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0933.jpg (153.6 KB, 295 views)
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 03:14 AM   #37
prnceofpersia23
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500LN
Love me some Oysterflex. I am on my second one and each time I chose it over a full PM bracelet.

It is well-engineered, durable, and comfortable. Combined with the ceramic bezel, it looks great and will do so for years.

For a few extra grand, could you just get the full PM version? Sure. But if you like the look of OF, then why not? Give it a try! The YG Daytona OF is a fantastic looking piece in any dial iteration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191127_120403.jpg (145.5 KB, 278 views)
prnceofpersia23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 03:17 AM   #38
herts9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Never been a fan of OF on a Daytona. I think it looks much better on a PM YM.

But if you love it, go for it!
herts9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 03:17 AM   #39
noshake
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by prnceofpersia23 View Post
Love me some Oysterflex. I am on my second one and each time I chose it over a full PM bracelet.

It is well-engineered, durable, and comfortable. Combined with the ceramic bezel, it looks great and will do so for years.

For a few extra grand, could you just get the full PM version? Sure. But if you like the look of OF, then why not? Give it a try! The YG Daytona OF is a fantastic looking piece in any dial iteration.
That's the one right there!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
noshake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 06:22 AM   #40
sgfortino
"TRF" Member

Watch: Nerd
To me, it’s completely worth the money. I love the look of the OF bracelet and don’t want a full PM bracelet. I have a 519LN and it’s one of my favorite watches...I wear it way more than even my 116500.

As others have said, at some level none of this is about intrinsic value and more about preference, etc.
sgfortino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 06:38 AM   #41
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex_AG View Post
I’ve been finding myself drawn to the YG Daytona on oysterflex ... it’s absolutely stunning and the ceramic bezel is a huge plus.

I just don’t understand the price point compared to a full YG piece with bracelet and not sure if I can justify it

Anyone else find themselves in this dilemma ?
Compared to what SS Daytonas go for grey, every other Daytona makes sense.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 06:47 AM   #42
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
I own a full PM Daytona (116508) and an OF Daytona (116519). I love them both but slightly prefer the full PM.

You cannot look at pricing the way you are though. That's not how it works. That's like comparing SS and PM by cost of metal. Just not how it works.

I have never put my OF Daytona on and thought it felt cheap or questioned its "value" in relation to full PM.

Get whichever sings to you louder.
jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 10:39 AM   #43
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I don’t believe it is worth the price differential vs a quality aftermarket elastomer strap. Forget the special case machining (the cost is about the same as the old alligator straps), R&D,

But I think there is a difference in the sense of buying security.

The feature of an internal flexible titanium blade frame is a great safety feature if the elastomer failed.

Comfort is another thing you’re paying for. The thin cushioning fins on the inner surface is superior to any generic rubber strap.

So Rolex can charge what the brand’s customers are willing to pay - but not really a cost-based price model. A market willingness to pay model methinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Well said.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2020, 09:14 AM   #44
im_vnutz
"TRF" Member

Just purchased an OF YG today. Traded an Explorer 1, SD43 and 12k for it. Hopefully I'm happy;
im_vnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2020, 09:30 AM   #45
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

It's interesting that people can think that the OF is overpriced, but that the full gold isn't. It's either neither are, or both are (imo).

The only difference between the OF and full gold is twelve gold links. For $10k or so more.

People seem to forget that the OF already comes with the gold clasp, which itself costs about 6k.

All you're doing is changing the little rubber inserts for little gold inserts.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2020, 09:37 AM   #46
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Price Point? It's a piece of jewelry; you're not buying a bag of peanuts by the pound.

The Oysterflex Daytona has extra machining and the integrated case gap-link, a full titanium/vulcanized bracelet (it's not a rubber strap), and a precious metal clasp. The technology here is amazing.
This all day.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2020, 10:28 AM   #47
David5807
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex_AG View Post
I’ve been finding myself drawn to the YG Daytona on oysterflex ... it’s absolutely stunning and the ceramic bezel is a huge plus.

I just don’t understand the price point compared to a full YG piece with bracelet and not sure if I can justify it

Anyone else find themselves in this dilemma ?
I found myself in the same conundrum a little more than a year ago and passed on purchasing an Oysterflex because of it. I actually just purchased a new, full YG Sub, and have to say it is worth it to just wait until your can afford to put forth the additional money needed to go full bracelet.
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2020, 10:30 AM   #48
David5807
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_vnutz View Post
Just purchased an OF YG today. Traded an Explorer 1, SD43 and 12k for it. Hopefully I'm happy;
I'm sure that you will be. In my opinion, this is the model to own
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2020, 10:39 AM   #49
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David5807 View Post
I found myself in the same conundrum a little more than a year ago and passed on purchasing an Oysterflex because of it. I actually just purchased a new, full YG Sub, and have to say it is worth it to just wait until your can afford to put forth the additional money needed to go full bracelet.
This implies that those 12 gold links are objectively more desirable to the buyer, and that they buyer simply can't afford them. I can tell you that the OF was exactly what I wanted to add to my collection, even though I could have chosen to go full gold with any model I wanted, and I would imagine the majority of OF buyers are in the same boat.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2020, 10:53 AM   #50
Bladeshot

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
I enjoy a WG sub and a 116718, and I like the PM bracelets. I purchased the 519LN because I loved the oysterflex look paired with the dial and bezel.

It’s the only Daytona I’ve ever wanted. Only one I’ve owned, yet. I’ve traded dozens of Rolex (it’s a hobby, and I can try out different ones, or restore ones in need).

If it were my first full PM, I would get one with a PM bracelet, so that I got the “full package”. That’s just me. My first PM was the 116719. Loved it!!

Once I knew I loved PM (I wear them daily) I wore them a few years and decided to add the 519LN.

I wanted it and got it.

Now, when it comes to justification, none of this makes sense. $9k RRP for a stainless submariner? Don’t try to rationalize the purchase by the value of the components and material. You can’t.

Buy what you like and wear in good health.
Old 23 August 2020, 11:03 AM   #51
ROLEXster
"TRF" Member

Watch: is on BS wait list
Love this watch ... but I like bracelet.
Simply stunning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Daytona Flexa.jpg (118.8 KB, 221 views)
ROLEXster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2020, 11:31 AM   #52
RichM

Watch: out now,take care!
I have two other full gold bracelets, so for me, it’s a welcomed change. Damn near indestructible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9F6E2431-6120-4730-BAC1-876333630B95.jpeg (226.7 KB, 217 views)
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2020, 11:43 AM   #53
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Does Oysterflex Make Sense??

Honestly, I’m not sure I’d ever want a 100% solid gold Daytona or YM, but I love them on the Oysterflex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2020, 02:33 PM   #54
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

There is a more mundane issue; the OF is particularly easy to keep clean. A good wash and scrub and it’s like new, clean and hygienic. Yes, you can, of course, clean a bracelet, but in my experience the OF is far easier and that’s reassuring.
These little things can add-up. Especially these days.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2020, 04:25 PM   #55
asisrich
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C Panda
Hi OP,

My experience. Price point is good for solid RG Daytona on OF. I wore mine for 6 months and sold it via consignment and still broke even.

Why I bought it?
- I really did liked the look and contrast of black against RG. Looks both classy and sporty.
- it felt and was lighter and sportier on the wrist than a full RG bracelet. So comfortable from a weight perspective
- price was good, I got it RRP from an AD. It was about $10k cheaper than its full Gold bracelet equivalent.

Why I sold it?
- contrary to some comments on comfort and cooler. I found it not as comfortable as my other jubilee Rolexes and the rubber even though it has vents was really hot and sticky during the day. It also gathered a bit of lint and dust aswell so I had to wash it quite alot. Wiping doesn't help.
- the OF is not really adjustable other than the micro adjustment on the clasp. Sometimes my wife likes wearing my watches so this is not possible on OF. My regular Jubilee/oyster I can quickly add and remove links.
- back to price point, on reflection I would rather have bought a full Gold bracelet version and play around with Rubber B or Everest rubber bands. Yes, I'd have convinced myself that the OF is superior bracelet with titanium rods etc... But I also wore a Rolex on rubber b and tbh there wasn't much difference.

Having experienced OF before...I don't think I will going down that path again based on my personal experience and situation above. Each to their own of course but hopes this helps somewhat.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk
asisrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2020, 08:39 PM   #56
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

Interesting, how experiences differ. I’ve had both WG daytona on a bracelet (116509) and the new Yachtmaster 42 with Oysterflex. I enjoy both, and still prefer the look of the Daytona with bracelet. That’s how it was designed.
However, the 42 Yachtmaster was designed with Matt black features which deliberately complement the watch. So here, the OF seems right.
I live in a cool northern country (UK) and the OF feels cooler and more comfortable than the heavy gold bracelet. And with the new adjustable clasp, adjustment is fine.
So, for me, there isn’t one answer. It depends on the watch. Either way, both designs are first class.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2020, 09:42 PM   #57
ScottishRolex
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
I do. PP, AP, Rolex, name it, that kind of money for a watch on a rubber strap, or vulcanized petroleum product or whatever just simply doesn’t make a lick of sense to me.

Don’t get me wrong. I dig on the OF. I bought one and an extra glidelock for my sub. I think the OF should come as an included accessory to a PM piece, not the only option.
This would be a really compelling value proposition- OF included with PM as accessory. I would totally consider one if they did that. Unfortunately doesn’t seem to be a shortage of buyers as is so I don’t see it happening.
ScottishRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2020, 10:08 PM   #58
Montremoi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixshah View Post
I get it, but the difference between oysterflex and full PM bracelet is still $8-10k depending on material...feels like it’s not a nominal difference like some are implying.
I don't understand. You're paying 10k€ less when buying a Dayto on Oysterflex... and that bothers you ?
Montremoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2020, 10:43 AM   #59
Watchamatician
"TRF" Member

In response to the "raw materials" question, gold is about 2k per ounce. The bracelet probably weighs about 3-4 ounces I'm guessing, so the price difference seems to be in the right ball park.

I like the Oysterflex version for the ceramic bezel more than anything.
Watchamatician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2020, 10:50 AM   #60
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
No it does not. But neither does spending 30K on a watch. Personally I would never spend that much on an OF, I'd spring for an all gold piece 100% of the time.
I love the Yachtmaster with that Black bezel insert but would never spend the amount of money they want with it on a rubber strap. For the price it should have a full gold bracelet. Or drop the price 10K for the rubber band. Otherwise aint no way.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote