The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 22 October 2013, 06:47 AM   #1
Brucie D
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ / BLNR / SUBCLV
Rolex 116200 DJ 36mm - 10 Month Update

Hi Everyone,

Feeling a bit de-motivated to do some real work today so I thought I would share some points as I roll up on ten months with my first Rolex.

The watch is a 116200 Datejust, white dial with roman numerals, oyster bracelet.

- I have other less expensive watches I used to switch between regularly including some nice PorscheDesign pieces. I have not worn any of these ONCE since I got the Datejust. This is my seven day a week, dress up, dress down watch. If I take it off to do some manual labor (lol rarely) I miss it. In this capacity it has served its purpose well.

- The 36mm size continues to be completely fine for my wrist size, and at 5 foot 7 suits my stature quite well. I like how it fits comfortably under my shirt cuff. I love the new DJII and professional models however I have no regrets about the size of this timepiece.

- As much as I love the look of the polished centre links, I can see these being high maintenance over time, especially with the everyday use of the watch. I find myself checking them often and being conscious of brushing my wrist on tables etc.

- I wish this watch had some lume, at least on the hands because I miss the ability to easily read the time at night.

- Still astonished by the quality of the clasp and bracelet in general and the way the whole watch looks perfect. Often while relaxing at home watching a show I will take the watch off and just hold it in my hand enjoying the weight and materials. I can't imagine how satisfying a gold or platinum Rolex would feel.

- It looks like my choice for a very long term watch was a good one and every day I see more value in the price I paid. The history of the Datejust model is also a big factor for me as well because I'm a sucker for tradition.

Thanks for reading!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (31.3 KB, 1980 views)
Brucie D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2013, 09:18 PM   #2
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
Congrats looks good
Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2013, 09:21 PM   #3
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
a classic look
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2013, 02:54 AM   #4
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Thanks for the report - it's a beautiful watch
Old 23 October 2013, 06:59 AM   #5
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Congrats and thanks for the report. I had one of these and sold it last year.
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2014, 08:27 AM   #6
Eric Chan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date 118238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucie D View Post
Hi Everyone,

Feeling a bit de-motivated to do some real work today so I thought I would share some points as I roll up on ten months with my first Rolex.

The watch is a 116200 Datejust, white dial with roman numerals, oyster bracelet.

- I have other less expensive watches I used to switch between regularly including some nice PorscheDesign pieces. I have not worn any of these ONCE since I got the Datejust. This is my seven day a week, dress up, dress down watch. If I take it off to do some manual labor (lol rarely) I miss it. In this capacity it has served its purpose well.

- The 36mm size continues to be completely fine for my wrist size, and at 5 foot 7 suits my stature quite well. I like how it fits comfortably under my shirt cuff. I love the new DJII and professional models however I have no regrets about the size of this timepiece.

- As much as I love the look of the polished centre links, I can see these being high maintenance over time, especially with the everyday use of the watch. I find myself checking them often and being conscious of brushing my wrist on tables etc.

- I wish this watch had some lume, at least on the hands because I miss the ability to easily read the time at night.

- Still astonished by the quality of the clasp and bracelet in general and the way the whole watch looks perfect. Often while relaxing at home watching a show I will take the watch off and just hold it in my hand enjoying the weight and materials. I can't imagine how satisfying a gold or platinum Rolex would feel.

- It looks like my choice for a very long term watch was a good one and every day I see more value in the price I paid. The history of the Datejust model is also a big factor for me as well because I'm a sucker for tradition.

Thanks for reading!
Your Datejust reviews were great as well and it looks good on you too. I share your same thoughts and feelings on this watch as I own three of them, a SS 16234, with a Jubilee bracelet and fluted bezel (my first Rolex, will never part with it), TT 116333 and a TT 116231 with Jubilee bracelet and fluted bezel. A great all around watch, but I wear mine for office wear, primarily as I wear a suit during the work week. However, my Datejusts have taken a back seat this week since my purchase of the BLNR.

Your in depth reviews and passion for Rolex is truly amazing. You should think of taking up a side job on writing reviews for magazines if the opportunity ever came up.

Enjoy your watches and wear them in good health! What is the next Rolex on your list Bruce?
Eric Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2014, 12:34 PM   #7
Brucie D
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ / BLNR / SUBCLV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Chan View Post
Your Datejust reviews were great as well and it looks good on you too. I share your same thoughts and feelings on this watch as I own three of them, a SS 16234, with a Jubilee bracelet and fluted bezel (my first Rolex, will never part with it), TT 116333 and a TT 116231 with Jubilee bracelet and fluted bezel. A great all around watch, but I wear mine for office wear, primarily as I wear a suit during the work week. However, my Datejusts have taken a back seat this week since my purchase of the BLNR.

Your in depth reviews and passion for Rolex is truly amazing. You should think of taking up a side job on writing reviews for magazines if the opportunity ever came up.

Enjoy your watches and wear them in good health! What is the next Rolex on your list Bruce?

Thanks Eric. I would gladly do some kind of column or review, although I doubt such opportunities often present themselves. I suppose at this point the next watch could be chosen from the following candidates:

- Datejust II, two tone with the black Arabic dial
- Submariner Date, two tone with the blue dial (sunburst)
- Yachtmaster, with the blue sunburst dial

Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Brucie D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2014, 01:22 PM   #8
Eric Chan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date 118238
Since you don't have a TT watch, you should go with the TT Sub with blue sunburst dial. That one is a beauty. Almost got that one the other day instead of the BLNR. In any event, all three choices you mentioned are beautiful timepieces.
Eric Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2014, 09:58 AM   #9
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Beautiful watch and excellent review. I also enjoy my DateJust (116234), in fact I've come to appreciate it more since I have acquired other watches. You clearly enjoy it, hope you have many years of wear.

Interesting comment about the PCL's on your oyster bracelet. In an attempt to give my DJ a more sporty look, I switched out my jubilee bracelet for an oyster bracelet that is standard issue on the Oyster Perpetual watch. All brushed solid links, improved clasp, but without the micro adjustment feature. Looks fantastic.
Old 24 June 2014, 06:30 AM   #10
wiggler
"TRF" Member

what's people's views on this????!?help thinking of getting tomoz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2014, 05:19 AM   #11
mrdog9
"TRF" Member

Nice looking watch
mrdog9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2014, 03:55 PM   #12
lipjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC, Nautilus
Hodinkee has a recent review of the 36mm DJ

"It is not our abilities that show what we truly are. It is our choices" -Dumbledore

Instagram: horolj_
lipjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2014, 08:45 PM   #13
Furbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Enjoy it!
Furbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2014, 11:01 PM   #14
Zman15
Banned

Thanks for sharing! Beautiful DJ!
Zman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2014, 12:04 AM   #15
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
Probably their most versatile watch
Old 20 May 2015, 11:42 PM   #16
BarryGM
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ,Sub 114060
Beatiful watch! I have the same model with a white dial with the stick markers with the lume. I love the watch and enjoy the size and feel of the 36mm. I too get concerned about scratches on the center links and I wear it every other day or so. BTW, the lume doesn't really last that long on my DJ. I recently bought a Sub-C and the lume lasts much longer than the DJ.
BarryGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2015, 08:49 PM   #17
LL 96
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD (WG), DJ, Sub
I am new to the forum, but have been wearing various Rolex watches for a little while now. The DJ is a timeless watch, and I enjoyed the review. I think the proportions and dimensions of the 36mm watches are verging on perfection.
LL 96 is offline   Reply With Quote