The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 3 January 2015, 09:19 AM   #271
darwen
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
As promised... GMT IIc on a green NATO. Personally I think the green hand with the green nato gives it a little extra over the sub.

Unlike the rest of my photography which is usually rubbish I think you can see the beautiful, mirror-shiny black bezel of the GMT in these shots.

And if the GMT looks huge on my wrist, believe me my wrists are really, really thin !

Couldn't resist including my Tudor Black Bay with red stripe strap in one of the pictures... sorry...

Hope this helps you decide... personally I love the GMT.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-01-02 23.12.11.jpg (107.1 KB, 1478 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-01-02 23.14.15.jpg (114.0 KB, 1463 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-01-02 23.13.12.jpg (166.0 KB, 1460 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-01-02 23.32.13.jpg (131.5 KB, 1461 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-01-02 23.40.37.jpg (137.4 KB, 1457 views)
Pinion Axis Bronze, Axis steel Dawn, R1969.
Mont Blanc Nicolas Rieussec
Old 9 January 2015, 05:08 AM   #272
shferenc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Icon12 Love my Sub

Flip a coin. A no lose situation.
Old 8 February 2015, 02:34 AM   #273
DHISTORY
"TRF" Member

Watch: enthusiast
Just got my GMTiic. I preferred the bling that came with it because it made it look really professional and classy when wearing a suit or sports coat M-F, and it continued looking amazing on the weekend with a Tshirt and shorts. Now, I just need to find a way to keep the PCL looking crisp. Given that I was first looking for DJ2, this met both goals I was looking for in a watch. :). Special thanks to ponycar350.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 8 February 2015, 03:23 AM   #274
jhcam8
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub C
Both.
Old 13 February 2015, 09:59 AM   #275
Johnb1
"TRF" Member

New member here..

Here are my watches, and what do you know..

Cut and Paste from my Intro post here http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=396506

I've been looking at a Sub C 116610ln for years (since 2010) but always had an upcoming expense- wedding, new house, 1st child, new car to accommodate said child.

So finally last year after having no upcoming major expenses, I decided to get one, but found no AD in Australia and Singapore had any stock (family member was traveling to Singapore). I called up virtually every AD in Australia and Singapore (there aren't that many since they are only sold at boutiques these days).

Wow, no stock of the Sub C in Australia and Singapore/Malaysia AD's!!! All had a waiting list. No discount of course.

Hmmm, spoke to a couple of used watch dealers, Sub C is always snapped up quickly due to their popularity, but I asked them to keep in contact with me in case one pops up or they get a grey market one.

After 6 months of waiting, one had a GMT II C at a good price, so I said I'll take it, and then get a Sub C later on (and then sell the GMT).

After I got the GMT II C, I found that I liked it much more than I expected and would be happy if I didn't get the Sub C, since they are similar in looks, size, material etc.

What do you know, a week later the other watch dealer calls me to say he has a near new Sub C for me at a great price. Too good to refuse.

So now I'm a proud owner of both a GMT II C and Sub C. Honestly I can't split the two about which is my favourite, but as they are similar I can't justify having both as well my other automatic watches too.

I only tend to alternate 2 watches for months at a time, as once automatics lose power and I have to set the time on them, they tend to say in the drawer for months! lol.. maybe time to invest in a watch winder.

Anyway, I can't justify owning 2 substantially priced (for me) Rolex's which are similar. Fortunately but still sadly, the choice of which to keep is fairly easy. My wife who likes my Rolex's can wear my Sub with it's Glidelock clasp/bracelot. So unfortunately, I will say goodbye to the GMT.

But fortunately the GMT will stay in the family. I want to give it to my humble father who would give me the shirt off his back and has only worn Sieko's and Citizens his entire life. Hopefully he will appreciate it when I give it to him when I next see him. If he think it's too much money for a watch or won't accept it, I'll just tell him to please look after it for my 2yo son. He can give it back to my son when he grows up and can appreciate a Rolex.

So from my viewpoint, you can't go wrong with either. BUT, if your partner would like to wear your watch from time to time, like mine does, then Sub C.

If not, you can't go wrong with the GMT. or Sub! IMO you can't really go wrong with either.

I'm not sure if it's been brought up, but I'm not sure it's my mind playing tricks with me, but the GMT feels slightly more natural to wear, even though it shouldn't. However both, though no light weights are comfortable to wear.

I wonder what the OP did finally get, if any. Looking at the OP's post count, we'll never know.
Old 27 February 2015, 10:13 PM   #276
Hay Ewe
"TRF" Member

Watch: that squirrel
both of these are for differnt functions and purposes

The submariner is a pure watch hh:mm:ss with a bezel for simple countdown

The GMT is hh:mm:ss with a rotating bezel with 15degree detents for either timing or the third time zone.

Either of them on a Rubber B if yours comes with a PCL.

a Sub No-date is my second option after an Explorer2.
reason, i dont want the rotating bezel so choose the EXP2
and going to get a RubberB for it
Old 28 April 2015, 10:24 AM   #277
Hollywoodvillain
"TRF" Member

Watch: "fat lady" etc etc
my opinion and reason for it !

i have a 16610 sub and i love it ! i love it on the bracelet ,and i love it on NATO. i am considering a 16710 GMT Mast. II black bezel to use on NATO and leave the sub on bracelet ! the watches are similar enough that i wont miss one when wearing the other , yet they are different enough that i will be able to get excited about each one !
Old 1 May 2015, 09:34 AM   #278
westsidewatches
Banned

Sub all the way for me.
Old 1 May 2015, 10:45 AM   #279
maxbaris
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
Sub!
Old 25 January 2016, 04:36 PM   #280
norbs007
"TRF" Member

Was in the same situation, both great watches but when I tried both on my wrist the Sub looked classier compared to the large numbers on the bezel of the GMT II, much classier with a suit. Also, the bracelet on the GMT II is like a wanna be white gold for me. Plus I'm a diver and the Submariner was always been my choice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg submariner.jpg (29.9 KB, 887 views)
Old 15 February 2016, 05:05 AM   #281
mrchrisx69
"TRF" Member

uploadfromtaptalk1455476675332.jpg

I like the polished links on the bracelet on the GMT II.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 2 March 2016, 08:44 AM   #282
Lam
"TRF" Member

Iif it comes to 116710BLNR, love that color combination! However for 116710LN the missing glidelock, shiny pcl and busy bezel made me bought a 116610LN.

The AD in The Netherlands had the Sub C first, if BLNR would have come first, I might have now own a GMT BLNR. (I've been on the waiting list for 2 months and love my SUBC DATE!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-02-29 22.52.56.jpg (93.4 KB, 903 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-02-29 23.12.06.jpg (58.2 KB, 900 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-03-01 01.31.50.jpg (35.8 KB, 905 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-03-01 01.10.10.jpg (57.6 KB, 897 views)
Old 21 May 2016, 11:35 PM   #283
Submariner*
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
I had the same debate myself but went for the submariner and it was the rite choice for me . I do love the Pepsi bezel on the gmt II tho . You can't go wrong with either .
Old 21 May 2016, 11:37 PM   #284
Submariner*
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
My 16610
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (69.2 KB, 784 views)
Old 27 May 2016, 03:02 PM   #285
rajoboss
"TRF" Member

Last week I purchased the GMTII c and am very happy. I had the same dilemma about Sub V GMT II.

The AD has a full length mirror which was a requirement for me to buy, so that i could see the watch on my writs. GMTII c looked much better on my wrist. Very happy with my choice and huge fan.
Old 28 May 2016, 07:31 AM   #286
Fez217
"TRF" Member

Got my sub 2 years ago and picked up my GMT today! Can't go wrong either way Love them both
Old 13 August 2016, 08:01 AM   #287
bombtech1999
"TRF" Member

The GMT just doesn't speak to me like the Sub does. I currently wear an Omega Seamaster, I'm about to pull the trigger on the Sub.
Old 17 August 2016, 07:08 AM   #288
DawgByte
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT IIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHISTORY View Post
Just got my GMTiic. I preferred the bling that came with it because it made it look really professional and classy when wearing a suit or sports coat M-F, and it continued looking amazing on the weekend with a Tshirt and shorts. Now, I just need to find a way to keep the PCL looking crisp. Given that I was first looking for DJ2, this met both goals I was looking for in a watch. :). Special thanks to ponycar350.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bingo! I felt the same when I went into the AD and tried on the Sub and GMT. I did go back and forth a bit and then pulled the trigger for the GMT and do not regret it. I absolutely love that watch!!
Old 26 August 2016, 05:21 PM   #289
993mansub
"TRF" Member

I read every one of these posts! Very interesting because I was also so undecided on which one.
Today I ordered a new GMT2, but I just sold a Sub.
The look just blows me away on the GMT.
Besides I paid a bit less than I would have for a new sub as well, so todays a great day :)
Old 1 September 2016, 12:15 AM   #290
kwingy
"TRF" Member

Hard to say anything new that hasn't been said before on this thread but the very first Rolex I had was the GMTIIc.
The dual time feature is much more handy then the waterproof rating on a day to day basis and the polish centre links gives you the special feeling of a Rolex.
It's also not as expensive as the sub and cheaper then pre-owned (although prices are steadily rising) but doesn't look any cheaper.
All in all it's a great watch with a really reliable movement and it's 40MM maxi case would look great on anyone's wrist. I did not even entertain the SubC as it was far too common for my taste and the GMT's pedigree and heritage is up there with the Subc IMO.
Old 20 September 2016, 03:05 AM   #291
docmarioce
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Had both pre-ceramic and ceramic. Flipped them all. Which I miss the most. The sub. The gmt is a great watch but is less rugged than the sub. Before due to the twinlock and now the PCL's. Real Rolex men wear Sub's. He he
Old 26 September 2016, 07:24 PM   #292
ultron
"TRF" Member

Subs are nice.
Old 16 January 2023, 01:26 PM   #293
Jorge Castro
"TRF" Member

Pictures on the gtm with brushed bracelet?
Old 16 January 2023, 01:29 PM   #294
Jorge Castro
"TRF" Member

������������
Old 19 January 2023, 03:45 AM   #295
Stan Cooper
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Castro View Post
Pictures on the gtm with brushed bracelet?
This thread was started nearly twelve years ago, and the OP hasn't posted anything since. Ten pages and 293 posts later, it has taken on a life of its own.

As far as GMT-Master brushed bracelets are concerned, all the four digit and five digit models equipped with Oyster bracelets have brushed center links. Also, many owners of six digit models with Oyster bracelets have had the polished center links and clasps brushed after purchase to avoid the obvious scratches on polished surfaces.

Here's my 2001 16710 with the original brushed bracelet and an aftermarket ceramic bezel insert (the ability to swap bezel inserts is one of the advantages of the 16710).

♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Closed Thread