The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 May 2023, 06:41 AM   #31
zi464
"TRF" Member

I will send it to service and clean the bracelet but without polish and replace any parts.
zi464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 12:52 PM   #32
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

My advice would be to send it to the Ridleys. They will service it, clean it and mildly polish it within reason to retain its collector value and original character. If I had to guess, it will run you about $900 +/-.
If the bracelet is stretched, you can send it to Rolliworks in California. They will completely rebuild it and tighten it. You can have them polish it to look brand new or keep its original character. The main thing is, they will make it wearable. It will run you around $500 for the rebuild.
For approx. $1400, you will have a daily wearable Rolex which will stand the test of time for another 20 years and you will have an heirloom to pass down. Well worth it in my book.
Old 24 May 2023, 01:59 PM   #33
iLovePho
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post

As a family heirloom, would be nice to have Rolex paperwork on the watch.
This is precisely the reason I'm leaning towards going to the RSC---to get Rolex paperwork with the service. In keeping within the family, I'd rather not have my son also question if it's a fake or not when I decide to give it to him, though not anytime soon (he's only 7). Again not a trust issue, but I'm sure like a lot of dads these days, sometimes our kids can't tell if we're joking or not

Luckily I live and work in the NYC area where there's a RSC, so I'm hoping I can find time in the next week or so to stop in and have them provide an estimate. Then I'll come back to this thread for further guidance.

Appreciate all the feedback everyone! Aside from the first person who responded to this thread, not sure what his problem was
iLovePho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 02:50 AM   #34
TimeLord2
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLovePho View Post
This is precisely the reason I'm leaning towards going to the RSC---to get Rolex paperwork with the service. In keeping within the family, I'd rather not have my son also question if it's a fake or not when I decide to give it to him, though not anytime soon (he's only 7). Again not a trust issue, but I'm sure like a lot of dads these days, sometimes our kids can't tell if we're joking or not

Luckily I live and work in the NYC area where there's a RSC, so I'm hoping I can find time in the next week or so to stop in and have them provide an estimate. Then I'll come back to this thread for further guidance.

Appreciate all the feedback everyone! Aside from the first person who responded to this thread, not sure what his problem was
I would definitely take it to Rolex to get an estimate if there is one close by. They may charge for authentication. They will provide a list of required things, which may include replacement of hands and dial, and recommended options, which will probably be a new bracelet. Although, you could also just send in the head of the watch without the bracelet. If you do opt for service with Rolex you can ask to keep the parts but they will charge you to allow you to keep the parts.

You can also look on EBAY for a period correct bracelet 6251H folded link or American made oval link, or a newer 62510H instead of the refurb. Nobody will know but you. In hindsight, I do wish I had just purchased a "period correct" bracelet on EBAY instead of refurbishing the original as the cost was about the same but mine was pretty far gone.

I have a watch from my dad. Had the bracelet refurbed by Roliworks (now located in Florida). Got an estimate from Rolex for service (had to pay a $260 authentication fee). Actually had it serviced by Phillip Ridley who did an excellent job, and wearing the watch right now. Good luck whatever you do, it's a lovely watch.
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 04:49 AM   #35
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
∆ as t lord and swish say - if you have a RSC local worth a quick punt....they won't work on many though if they can't guarantee water press test / or a laundry list of 'improvements' pls be warned....and don't be despondent if that's their take on it ...Indies are the saviours going forward!

TEMPTATIONS '72
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 08:55 AM   #36
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:

dont worry about the first person that responded. He is banned for a reason.

Welcome and hope you stick around.
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2023, 08:11 AM   #37
iLovePho
"TRF" Member

Was able to stop by the RSC today to drop off the watch and they came back with the estimate within a couple of hours:

Watch analysis:
Hands Cracked, Luminous Discolored, Luminous Missing, Case Middle Part Worn, Crown Worn, Bracelet Worn

Necessary works:

Complete overhaul $950
-Buff Bracelet
-Buff Case
-Replace Crown
-CROWN WITH GASKET 604 ST - x 1

Replace Dial and Hands $538
-DIAL 1600-8 SILVER MARKERS W LGN - x 1
-HANDS 1803-9 245 G PARF LUMI - x 1
-SECOND HAND TR 1803-9 260 110 G FUSEAU - x 1

Total with tax is $1,620.06.

They gave three (technically 2) options:

- Proceed with necessary service ($1,620.06)
- Proceed with necessary service including additional recommendations ($1,620.06)
- Do not proceed, void estimate and return watch unrepaired ($0.00)

What are your guys thoughts on this? Personally I’m not surprised given how worn it is and I’d be fine just doing the overhaul only, but I don’t think that’s an option here. My concern is the replacing the dial and hands—-what do they look like and how do they compare vs. what I have now?
Old 26 May 2023, 08:16 AM   #38
ELLimon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Was able to stop by the RSC today to drop off the watch and they came back with the estimate within a couple of hours:

Watch analysis:
Hands Cracked, Luminous Discolored, Luminous Missing, Case Middle Part Worn, Crown Worn, Bracelet Worn

Necessary works:

Complete overhaul $950
-Buff Bracelet
-Buff Case
-Replace Crown

- Proceed with necessary service including additional recommendations ($1,620.06)

What are your guys thoughts on this? Personally I’m not surprised given how worn it is and I’d be fine just doing the overhaul only, but I don’t think that’s an option here. My concern is the replacing the dial and hands—-what do they look like and how do they compare vs. what I have now?

I’ll not do it; and most definitely will not replace the dial.
ELLimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2023, 08:22 AM   #39
ELLimon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELLimon View Post
You are in the right path; a month ago there was a thread of a family heirloom vacheron that was destroyed by in-house service; the dial got repainted.

If I was in your shoes I’ll send it to an independent watch maker that works on vintage and ask to: 1. Relume the hands, 2. Leave dial as it is, 3. Service the movement. 4. (Optional) light buff of the case. 5. Polish the glass.
Factory glasses new are available but expensive.

My recommendation is still the same.
ELLimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2023, 09:44 AM   #40
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Watch analysis:

Necessary works:

Complete overhaul $950
-Buff Bracelet
-Buff Case
-Replace Crown

Firstly, did they typo option 1 and 2? they are priced the same yet one is with new dial and hands, etc. Worth checking and seeing if you can insist they just do the movement service. I suspect it'll be a no as the moment they see cracking on the lume, they will say it'll fall into the movement, etc. In any event, just clarify that with them.

The other thing is I have heard some RSC now give back some parts so if they are willing to give you your old dial and hands back then option 2 isn't bad - again, I suspect they wont but worth checking.

If they insist on option 2, I would suggest using an independent - the cost will be more close to $950 (thats probably upper range) and you can ask them to stablise the lume on the hands while they are at it.
Old 26 May 2023, 09:56 AM   #41
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

They are requiring all of that work, there is no other option. Everything is necessary in this case, no additional options.

This is pretty much as I expected and I definitely wouldn't do it. The watch will look new, but all ties to the past will be gone.
Old 26 May 2023, 12:07 PM   #42
Sunny Arizona
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613
Real deal
Old 26 May 2023, 02:20 PM   #43
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Still do nothing is my opinion.

Take all this 'work' with a pinch of salt.

To pay 50% of the value of the watch to devalue it, is not a good option imho.

I would never take a 4 digit to an RSC for work period. In UK they don't even do the work they subcontract it out to SHWR (in the main), and add a 40% margin for their troubles !

TEMPTATIONS '72
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2023, 06:45 AM   #44
iLovePho
"TRF" Member

So I called the RSC today to confirm if they can only do the complete overhaul and maintain the dial and hands as is, but they said no. Everything they listed is mandatory---all or nothing.

I then asked if they were to do everything, if I can keep the original dial and hands, and they responded by saying they would have to make an inquiry and if yes, it would incur additional cost.

Given it's already Friday end of day, they'll contact me again next week. If the cost to keep the original parts is something ridiculous, I'll send my watch to Bob or Phillip Ridley given the amount of praise on this forum.

I'll revert again next week, but thanks everyone for your feedback!
Old 27 May 2023, 07:07 AM   #45
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Even if they agree to return the original parts, you are going to end up spending $2500, and then hiring an independent watchmaker to re-install the original dial and hands. Unless you want the dial and hands replaced, there's really no upside. Personally, I just don't see any value in having the service receipt from Rolex.
Old 1 June 2023, 10:14 AM   #46
iLovePho
"TRF" Member

Got the call back from the RSC and they wanted to charge 40% extra if I wanted to keep the original parts. I declined of course.

On a side note, I did ask if they offered authentication service since they were able to inspect the watch and provide a service estimate, but unfortunately they do not. However, they do have an appraisal service for insurance purposes, which would have costed $150, but since my watch is quite old, they weren't able to do it for mine.

I picked up my watch earlier today and although they weren't able to service it, the overall experience with the RSC was pleasant in that they were able to answer all my questions and were courteous the entire time. I wouldn't hesitate to go back if I need a modern Rolex serviced.

For my existing watch, I already contacted Phillip Ridley and will ship it out to him tomorrow.
Old 1 June 2023, 10:25 AM   #47
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Got the call back from the RSC and they wanted to charge 40% extra if I wanted to keep the original parts. I declined of course.

On a side note, I did ask if they offered authentication service since they were able to inspect the watch and provide a service estimate, but unfortunately they do not. However, they do have an appraisal service for insurance purposes, which would have costed $150, but since my watch is quite old, they weren't able to do it for mine.

I picked up my watch earlier today and although they weren't able to service it, the overall experience with the RSC was pleasant in that they were able to answer all my questions and were courteous the entire time. I wouldn't hesitate to go back if I need a modern Rolex serviced.

For my existing watch, I already contacted Phillip Ridley and will ship it out to him tomorrow.
yeah 40% additional makes no sense (you could buy spare dial and hands for less than that).

Did they provide you with a copy of the service recommendation? If you read between the lines, thats pretty much an "authentication" - if it wasn't genuine, they wouldn't service it Now if you need something for insurance purposes, you'll need to get it appraised.

I hope you stick around - there's a bit to this hobby.
Old 1 June 2023, 10:43 AM   #48
iLovePho
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayshere View Post
yeah 40% additional makes no sense (you could buy spare dial and hands for less than that).

Did they provide you with a copy of the service recommendation? If you read between the lines, thats pretty much an "authentication" - if it wasn't genuine, they wouldn't service it Now if you need something for insurance purposes, you'll need to get it appraised.

I hope you stick around - there's a bit to this hobby.
Yup, they did provide the service recommendation and gave it to me in a fancy envelope, as well as the green Rolex watch pouch when they returned it. I'll definitely keep the service recommendation as a defacto "authentication"

and yes, you guys have been great and there's much to learn on this forum, so I'll definitely stick around
Old 1 June 2023, 12:15 PM   #49
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Glad to hear you had a nice experience. That service pouch is a nice touch and is usually given upon returning a serviced watch. Look forward to seeing it after the Ridley treatment.
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote