The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 2 June 2023, 01:08 PM   #1
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16753; Bellini Dia
1575(gmt) service/failure parts list...

Some of you may have seen my posts over on main Rolex forum regarding a 1675 which may be coming into permanent possession tomorrow (ish -- depending upon the comments to this thread).

The watch has a recent RSC service from Toronto (2021) and so I have about 5 years before I need to consider finding someone to service it -- and the required parts with which to service it!

Given that RSC in Canada no-longer support servicing for the 1575(gmt) and, were the watch submitted to RSC, then it would need to go to Geneva for a 'vintage service' -- replete with hefty price tag. Accordingly, it seems that a person would be wise to find a watchmaker who would be willing and able to service the 1575 and a bunch of 'repeat offender parts'.

I don't know that much about the caliber 1575, other than my RSC watchmaker friend says he prefers them to the caliber 3075. However, from what I gather, servicing should include (at minimum):
  • Reversing gears,
  • Mainspring,
  • Gaskets,
  • Crown and tube,

Are there any other parts that you would recommend sourcing for a service or failure in anticipation of non-RSC servicing (such as the mainspring arbour etc.)? In addition, what parts are susceptible to damage and failure?

I should also mention that finding a guy to service it here in the barren and frozen north (Alberta, Canada) is not easy to do. My watchmaker friend is no-longer a Rolex AD and my other watchmaker (who was never RSC trained but worked on them anyway) has retired.

Photos for attention:

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
shedlock2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2023, 01:26 PM   #2
Filipão
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
You have service dial and hands, if it doesn’t bother you it’s a great tool watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Filipão is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2023, 01:36 PM   #3
Jawnz
"TRF" Member

You can always send 4 digits to guys like Rolliworks or the like, they service vintage. For what its worth, I just had RSC service my 1675 this year so I dunno if all RSC stop servicing them or just your region.
Jawnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2023, 04:36 PM   #4
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipão View Post
You have service dial and hands, if it doesn’t bother you it’s a great tool watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It doesn't -- I specifically hunted for them! I value functionality over originality.

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
Old 2 June 2023, 04:39 PM   #5
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnz View Post
You can always send 4 digits to guys like Rolliworks or the like, they service vintage. For what its worth, I just had RSC service my 1675 this year so I dunno if all RSC stop servicing them or just your region.
Erm, I am not sure either. Toronto are no-longer servicing them -- though they did do this one back in March 2021.

I don't know where Rolliworks are, but I suspect there would be some significant challenges in shipping that might exceed the cost of the work at RSC Geneva! (it costs me $440 to ship a watch down south and another $440 to ship it back). I am also not sure how long non-RSC locations will have spares stock for!

Old 2 June 2023, 10:02 PM   #6
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

IIRC, both Rolliworks and LAWW will offer to arrange shipping for you using their contracts with FedEx.

You can try to guess which parts might hypothetically need to be replaced at some time in the future. But nothing is guaranteed with old watches, and you can't predict which parts might break. If that is really a major concern for you, you might want to think seriously about a new model, especially since you already indicated that you value functionality and seem to prefer a watch that looks new.
Old 3 June 2023, 01:30 AM   #7
Ricardo77
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214 RR Accutron
"However, from what I gather, servicing should include (at minimum):
Reversing gears,
Mainspring,
Gaskets,
Crown and tube."

Nos reversers are still relatively easy to find but the prices are getting higher...around $75 to $100 for one complete reverser now and you need two to make a set.

Mainsprings are still easy to find, either oem or aftermarket. Many oem Swiss MS are/were made by 'Generale Ressorts' and they made oem springs for RWC for years. They are sold under many trade names today but will have 'Swiss Made' on the packaging. Genuine Rolex branded MS are still available too.
You might be on the lookout for a new MS barrel/arbor too.

New gaskets will be available for many years. Old nos gaskets may be brittle by now.

Nos crowns and case tubes are still available but if you want a nos 5.3mm crown with a 'crimped cap' instead of a modern one piece model, now is the time to get one or two before the prices get higher. Your watch came with a crimped crown cap.
Crown gaskets are easy to find if you ever need one.

If you want an old style case tube that needs the ID broached to fit...they are still around but very few still use them.
Modern 'no broach' case tubes with internal splines for an inserting tool would probably be a better choice.

Bottom line:
You never know what you might need.
Maybe get two reversers and a crown or two for now, maybe a MS barrel/arbor.
Go with later splined case tubes.
The long term enemies of vintage stainless Rolex watches are case corrosion, botched repairs, and no parts. Prices for oem and nos parts will probably keep rising unless RWC cranks out a batch of new parts. Very Doubtful.
They will not sell the parts to us Knaves anyway. Ha!
All the above imho.
Ricardo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2023, 01:48 AM   #8
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedlock2000 View Post
Erm, I am not sure either. Toronto are no-longer servicing them -- though they did do this one back in March 2021.

I don't know where Rolliworks are, but I suspect there would be some significant challenges in shipping that might exceed the cost of the work at RSC Geneva! (it costs me $440 to ship a watch down south and another $440 to ship it back). I am also not sure how long non-RSC locations will have spares stock for!
Out of curiosity, why does it cost so much to ship a watch to USA from Canada?

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2023, 03:58 AM   #9
Nick9
"TRF" Member

Steve, I’m pretty confident that Ashton Tracy can and does service these.

He’s in Ottawa.

Also, I shipped a bracelet to RolliWorks in 2021 (they were in California at the time; now Florida), it was about $75 each way.
Nick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2023, 04:05 AM   #10
Ascari_2
2024 Pledge Member

Out of those, I would only consider the gaskets as a necessity including those in the crown and tube. All the other parts would optional and would only need to be replaced if there is notable wear.
Old 3 June 2023, 05:56 AM   #11
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
IIRC, both Rolliworks and LAWW will offer to arrange shipping for you using their contracts with FedEx.

You can try to guess which parts might hypothetically need to be replaced at some time in the future. But nothing is guaranteed with old watches, and you can't predict which parts might break. If that is really a major concern for you, you might want to think seriously about a new model, especially since you already indicated that you value functionality and seem to prefer a watch that looks new.
That is very interesting and good to know! Thanks!

Old 3 June 2023, 05:58 AM   #12
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtexas View Post
Out of curiosity, why does it cost so much to ship a watch to USA from Canada?
That is an extremely good question that only FedEx can answer. I have only last month shipped a Rolex to Florida, and that was cost of the ticket (and I received a further bill for $158 in the mail from FedEx without any information on what the extra bill was for!

I have had nothing but pain with shipping things through FedEx.

Old 3 June 2023, 06:01 AM   #13
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick9 View Post
Steve, I’m pretty confident that Ashton Tracy can and does service these.

He’s in Ottawa.

Also, I shipped a bracelet to RolliWorks in 2021 (they were in California at the time; now Florida), it was about $75 each way.
I am fairly certain (though not 100%) that shipping price is related to the insurable value of the watch not the weight or size of the package. In as much, a $1k bracket would be significantly cheaper than a $12k watch. With CPS (which is capped at $5,000) the shipping increases by $5 every $250 of insurable value; I suspect something similar would be true for FedEx.

Old 3 June 2023, 06:05 AM   #14
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo77 View Post
"However, from what I gather, servicing should include (at minimum):
Reversing gears,
Mainspring,
Gaskets,
Crown and tube."

Nos reversers are still relatively easy to find but the prices are getting higher...around $75 to $100 for one complete reverser now and you need two to make a set.

Mainsprings are still easy to find, either oem or aftermarket. Many oem Swiss MS are/were made by 'Generale Ressorts' and they made oem springs for RWC for years. They are sold under many trade names today but will have 'Swiss Made' on the packaging. Genuine Rolex branded MS are still available too.
You might be on the lookout for a new MS barrel/arbor too.

New gaskets will be available for many years. Old nos gaskets may be brittle by now.

Nos crowns and case tubes are still available but if you want a nos 5.3mm crown with a 'crimped cap' instead of a modern one piece model, now is the time to get one or two before the prices get higher. Your watch came with a crimped crown cap.
Crown gaskets are easy to find if you ever need one.

If you want an old style case tube that needs the ID broached to fit...they are still around but very few still use them.
Modern 'no broach' case tubes with internal splines for an inserting tool would probably be a better choice.

Bottom line:
You never know what you might need.
Maybe get two reversers and a crown or two for now, maybe a MS barrel/arbor.
Go with later splined case tubes.
The long term enemies of vintage stainless Rolex watches are case corrosion, botched repairs, and no parts. Prices for oem and nos parts will probably keep rising unless RWC cranks out a batch of new parts. Very Doubtful.
They will not sell the parts to us Knaves anyway. Ha!
All the above imho.
Very helpful info., Riccardo! Thank you!

I'll take a quick look on ebay to assess the prices. I sort of assumed gaskets and the like would be readily available, as they do not really need to be Rolex gaskets so far as I can tell -- so I am less worried about them and more about the diminishing stock of things like reversing wheels etc. Having never actually performed a service myself, I do not know what kinds of things show wear (I have watch a few youtube videos, but the wear on the teeth is hard to discern from video).

Old 3 June 2023, 06:45 AM   #15
TimeLord2
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
I've got the Omega 50th GMT too. Just wondering if that bracelet you have is the 1610/930 as the one I have has the butterfly clasp with no adjustment. Pain in the ass that! To your previous question, I used Phillip Ridley for my 1675/3, 1570 movement with hacking. He is in Arizona but will send you a shipping label. He can source original parts and is very well regarded on TRF. Also his dad Bob Ridley. That said, sounds like you have a good reference with Ashton Tracy, and fairly local!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7230_s.jpg (249.0 KB, 150 views)
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2023, 02:48 PM   #16
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

1575(gmt) service/failure parts list...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2 View Post
I've got the Omega 50th GMT too. Just wondering if that bracelet you have is the 1610/930 as the one I have has the butterfly clasp with no adjustment. Pain in the ass that! To your previous question, I used Phillip Ridley for my 1675/3, 1570 movement with hacking. He is in Arizona but will send you a shipping label. He can source original parts and is very well regarded on TRF. Also his dad Bob Ridley. That said, sounds like you have a good reference with Ashton Tracy, and fairly local!

No, I have the speedy style bracelet on mine because I prefer the taper and a bigger clasp (mine is a 2234.50 — I think yours has a slightly different reference).

I’ve updated the clasp to the later style PO clasp, so now I have the benefit of 10mm of quick adjustment as well. My wrist swells a lot, so on the fly adjustment is pretty high up on my need list (the 1675s seem not to bother me so much — perhaps because the brackets are floppier).

Thanks for the info! I’ll add them to the list for future reference!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk on

Old 4 June 2023, 05:19 AM   #17
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Wouldn't worry I bought a really terrible 1601 for £1300 last week, mashed up case, scruffy dial etc.... the calibre though is perfect condition running to +/- 6 so you can always get a 1670/5 cheaply :-)

TEMPTATIONS '72
TuRo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 05:04 PM   #18
HerbertPhillips
"TRF" Member

Rolliworks does great work! They are in Miami now.
HerbertPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 11:37 PM   #19
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
I really wouldn't stress about a vintage Rolex that recently received a full RSC movement service, and I certainly wouldn't try to buy parts in anticipation of a "maybe" many years from now. These movements are workhorses, especially with the care and babying that many of us vintage lovers give them.

I'm wearing a 50-year-old Sub today that I've never serviced in the 15 years I've owned it. It's still keeping time within COSC standards, and it most likely will outlive me.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1575(gmt) , 1675