The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 15 October 2019, 03:14 PM   #1
Lordainz
"TRF" Member

So why is Invicta hated so much?

Just curious about why people hate invicta so much? I know the watches are big but many people like being flashy. Honest opinions please.
Lordainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 03:23 PM   #2
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Not very good watches in some cases.

I had one that looked like a Sub. Cost under $100. Poorly constructed, fell apart.
scarlet knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 03:31 PM   #3
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
Don’t hate them, just not interested in them.
Old 15 October 2019, 04:30 PM   #4
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Only Trolls hate watches Lordy.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 09:03 PM   #5
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Historically, they have been poorly constructed (although I’ve heard they’ve gotten a bit better). They take too many liberties with iconic designs, such as copying the Sub.

One that always rubbed me the wrong way was their pricing strategy, where they over price their watches, then heavily discount on platforms like Amazon and TV shopping networks. It’s a paper thin guise of making people think they are getting a good deal, when in fact that should have been the MSRP from the start. Discounting everything 40-60% off all the time is also a horrid marketing strategy and immediately makes me think you are disingenuous or a failing business.

I think their biggest issue though is indeed their styling. Large, flashy fake gold watches might appeal to some people, but that kind of styling typically turns a lot of people off. This is especially the case on a watch forum wherein you tend to run into people who gravitate more towards conservative styling.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 09:15 PM   #6
Yzord
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Gibeon watch
Because it is the most spammed, but baddest quality watch there is.
Old 16 October 2019, 02:32 AM   #7
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordainz View Post
I know the watches are big but many people like being flashy.
Is anyone really proud to flash an Invicta?

Does that answer your question?

Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 03:05 AM   #8
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
What they do, they do well.

What they do well has nothing to do with watchmaking, and what they charge is criminal to the unsuspecting QVC 2AM buyer.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 03:13 AM   #9
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Huge amalgamations of various styles, often resulting in gaudy, haphazard designs. Great alternative to MVMT for millennials.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 03:27 AM   #10
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Watching the Invicta sales channel is appears to be a marketing brand that preys on people seeking "deals". What I find crazy is the people the collect dozens of of them. They could have spent the money on a real watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQM339_R4dc
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 04:11 AM   #11
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
I'll take my Seiko SKX any day over Invicta.

Their over-the-top styles and over-sized proportions are heinous to me, and their homages are too cheap-looking and unbalanced. Plus, they tend to emblazon a huge INVICTA across the side of the case, a la Blancpain, which seals the coffin for me.

I've seen some modders grind off the branding and replace the dial and hands to make it a little more... clean. I think a lot of their automatics use Seiko NH35 movements, so modders can have a field day.
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 01:20 PM   #12
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Don’t hate the watch itself. Some people genuinely appreciate Invicta as much as some of us appreciate our (insert generic luxury brand here).

I do agree that from an aesthetic and mechanical context, I would rather buy a Seiko for the price point. I also agree that the marketing strategy is insincere and that they should be priced appropriately from the get go so that the people who enjoy them can do so more reasonably.
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 07:13 AM   #13
synequano
Banned

I got turned off to the brand because the way they do their marketing

I was in the trade show in NYC few years ago and I saw their booth,the salesperson kept saying bad things about Rolex while I have my 16570 on,not a good way to do business IMO

I was seeing one of their watch and the crown fell off...luckily the overly eager salesperson was distracted...I put the watch back and walk...no...ran away from their booth...
synequano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 08:31 AM   #14
GSDLover
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5205r-010
I am paraphrasing Jeremy Clarkson on a car quote but when you are wearing an Invicta, you are saying to the world " My life went horribly wrong somewhere".
GSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 09:56 AM   #15
Jace
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DD 40
So why is Invicta hated so much?

They represent absolutely nothing that approaches why we are interested in this hobby. They make ugly poor quality knock offs sold in the mall. Not everybody is interested, nor can they afford, a quality watch. But we can and choose to. They are the veneer and particle board of watches.

As the Professor Lambau said in Good Will Hunting “ there are only a half a dozen people in the world who can tell the difference between you and me, but I am one of them. “
Jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 11:47 AM   #16
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

There actually are some decent Invictas from back in the late 60s and into the 70s but it was a completely different company back then.
Old 17 October 2019, 11:59 AM   #17
Frosty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
I do not hate Invicta. I had a blue Pro Diver that got mistaken for a blue Sub a number of times.

I gave it to a friend when I got the blue Sub.
Old 17 October 2019, 12:29 PM   #18
SOG DIVER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680Red-551214060M
Its more that the brand is not respected.
Or-that the wearer is neither knowledgeable nor concerned about their respective watch.

If Invicta made cars-you would need a lifetime aftermarket warranty..........no long trips.
SOG DIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 12:42 PM   #19
trfChris
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116719BLRO
My main issue with Invicta (having owned a couple) is the poor quality. I have a diver which they claim is 500M water resistant. When I had it checked it failed the water resistance test completely, as in 0M WR.

That said for less than $100 you can get an automatic watch with a Miyota movement and steel bracelet which is not a bad entry level watch for someone to get a feel for if they would like to wear a mechanical watch. I had an Invicta 8926 which I got for around $90, wore it for around 4 years at which point it stopped running. When it stopped I just threw it away.
trfChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2019, 02:14 AM   #20
Saltzy
"TRF" Member

Looks like the Invicta kiosk in the mall by my place has decided to go with the current Rolex sales business model.

Saltzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2019, 02:21 AM   #21
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
^ haha

The company is just terrible. Designs and marketing alone makes you wonder who runs this outfit and who the customers are.
Old 23 December 2019, 02:43 AM   #22
Saltzy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
^ haha

The company is just terrible. Designs and marketing alone makes you wonder who runs this outfit and who the customers are.
If you intentionally lower your IQ to that of a Walmart shopper, it makes all the sense in the world.

They provide the 'luxury experience', i.e, service reps that place the watch on your wrist and tell you how great it looks on you, fluorescent lighting to make them pop, carrying cases to keep them in, "Limited Editions" to make them feel exclusive, etc, etc, etc, to people that almost never get to have that in any aspect of their lives.

To many people, that kiosk is the same as going to a Tourneau just cause they look the same in many ways.

As soon as it's on your wrist it's completely worthless, but the imbeciles paying $100 for it don't even understand that concept. To them, they just bought a limited edition watch in a carrying case that looks baller and makes them feel special....until it breaks in 3 years of course.
Old 23 December 2019, 04:27 AM   #23
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Basically really bad value for the money. In the same price range i would take a Seiko all day.
WatchEater666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2019, 05:02 AM   #24
locutus49
Banned

There is an actual Invicta forum where Invicta-holics share their rather large collections of Invictas. Source: I was watching one of their long TV ads at night and a guy called in and talked about the Invicta forum and his collection. Well, it did put me to sleep so I owe Invicta that much.
Old 23 December 2019, 05:07 AM   #25
nick c
Banned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2019, 05:38 AM   #26
locutus49
Banned

Okay, this could be the star of my next horror movie. Well, my first movie, but still. The Invicta starts talking to the owner, telling him to crush a Rolex and then a Patek. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post

Old 23 December 2019, 05:41 AM   #27
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
Okay, this could be the star of my next horror movie. Well, my first movie, but still. The Invicta starts talking to the owner, telling him to crush a Rolex and then a Patek. Thoughts?

100%

nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2019, 06:51 AM   #28
Saltzy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post

I honestly think this Joker botched abortion thing might be the single ugliest watch ever made.

I would literally rather never know the time again than wear that thing.

I'd pay to see a video of someone wearing a Batman GMT Master II slap someone wearing one with a big "Pow!" flash across the screen.
Old 23 December 2019, 08:19 AM   #29
jed11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltzy View Post
I honestly think this Joker botched abortion thing might be the single ugliest watch ever made.

I would literally rather never know the time again than wear that thing.

I'd pay to see a video of someone wearing a Batman GMT Master II slap someone wearing one with a big "Pow!" flash across the screen.

Haha! Awesome...would love to see this too.

jed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2019, 12:55 PM   #30
zaydans
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710
Horrible gaudy crap. If I see someone wearing an Invicta it’s clear they are trying to make a statement but sadly the statement is they know next to nothing about a quality watch is. That being said it’s their money their choice so who are we to judge when we clamber after the Rolex brand and in some cases pay double retail for a wristwatch!!
zaydans is offline   Reply With Quote