The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 7 June 2023, 11:18 PM   #1
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

5170R opinions

Tried one on recently and am very intrigued. I always liked the later versions with breguet numerals and cleaner dial without the pulsometer scale. Saw both black and white dials and prefer the lighter dial color with rose gold against my skin tone. Might be a bit on the larger side but really nice case profile and incredible movement.

So the question is.. what's everyone's opinion on these? Seems to be a generally unpopular reference but I see a lot of good things for a value proposition (wearable size, first in house manual wind chrono model, discontinued, relatively short run). No this is NOT an investing thread as I play to wear the hell out of it but around 60k is not chump change and will have to let go of one of my current watches.

I think I do prefer it to the newer 5172 due to the dressier look and the size. Opinions welcome!
Old 8 June 2023, 12:49 AM   #2
Vasco
"TRF" Member

I was a fan of the 5170G silver dial for a very long time, though I thought it looked a little "cold" and something was missing. However, from its launch I never stopped considering them when browsing grey dealer websites. Definitely a good value for money (like the 5960P imho).

The 5170P is also fantastic but for other reasons (and today at a much higher price point).

I went through 5170J pictures taken over the years and even considered this one (the price is so low compared to what it offers).

Their uniqueness lies in their elegance and discretion, this is something I enjoy very much. Because it's pure in terms of aesthetics, I would also like to get it in rose gold rather than white gold. Like a little dressy 3 hander in a certain way.

The 5170Rs are in the same category, a little more casual looking and definitely deserve attention. This movement is of course a major reason to go for these 5170s.

Maybe thinking about how easily it can be paired with different strap colors is a way to help making a choice.

I prefer the whole case of the 5172 but I like the price/elegance/timelessness combination of the 5170.

Keep us informed :)
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 01:19 AM   #3
ts3
"TRF" Member

I prefer the 5170s by a mile over the 5172s. However, I am not a fan of 5170R and 5170G black with their dominant Breguet numerals. Nothing against Breguet numerals per se but I prefer them on time only watches. 5170G silver had me intrigued as there is more going on on the dial but not enough to pull the trigger.

In the end it is 5170P or nothing for me when it comes to modern Patek chronos. The "crowd" favorite 5370P black is way out of my league and also very large for my smallish wrists.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote