The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 February 2019, 04:08 AM   #1
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
Mini Review Omega vs Rolex

Let’s discuss a tale of two divers – possibly the most peer pieces from both Rolex and Omega.

Rolex Submariner reference 14060M

Omega Seamaster Professional reference 2231.50

Both are 2002-2007 models and were on the market at the same time. In terms of accuracy we should be discussing the Omega Seamaster Professional reference 2254.50 but after having two of those I’ve grown to prefer the titanium variant reference 2231.50. Regardless everything is the same except metal and bezel insert color…more on that later.

These both represent the last of a dying breed for both firms, the tool diver. Yes I know $1800-7000 for a tool watch? Sure, but it’s only due to the rising marketplace of both pieces. They are in theory the last generation of the predecessors before them – watches that were used as legitimate diving tools. The Rolex 5512-5513 and Omega 300 were the pinnacle of robust dive watches in the 60’s-70’s. In the pre-quartz era you wanted a bombproof and waterproof watch, these were it.

Fast forward to today, we have G-Shocks and Casio’s to fulfill the role as a backup timer to a dive computer. They are better tools for the job, end of story. However, some of us still like the robust bombproof design of an auto diver.

Let’s start with the Sub.

Rolex Submariner, reference 14060M, circa 2007
39.5mm
12mm thick
Rolex 3130 movement
904L stainless steel

This is the last of the Rolex sports watches. It is the last model to have drilled lugs, 93150 tuna can bracelet, and aluminum bezel insert. It doesn’t have the bulky maxi case or the ceramic bezel, it doesn’t have the solid end link bracelet – it’s a lightweight workhorse.

Due to not having those attributes it wears like a stainless sport watch vs a reflective monster of presence. I started off with a current generation Rolex Submariner 114060 but the case and shiny presence made me realize I was wearing something flashier than I wanted. So after a few weeks I moved it for the 14060M. Sent it off to Rik at TimeCare Inc. for a full overhaul and had the hands swapped for those from a 114060 as I prefer the maxi hands.

My thoughts? It’s a great watch but it is still easily recognized as a shiny Rolex, that is OK – so it often is worn on a nato strap to fly under the radar a bit more. The lack of AR coating can be annoying if coming off rotation with a watch that has it (everyone in the collection). Other than that it is a great time piece.

Omega Seamaster Professonial 2231.50
41mm
11.1mm thick
Omega caliber 1120 (modified ETA 2892)
Titanium

This is the second time I’ve owned this watch and 4th of the series (2231.50x1 and 2254.50x2). Between the stainless 2254.50 and this I prefer the titanium model. If you are a one watch kinda person I’d just get the 2254.50 as it is more versatile. If you want a true tool diver then this one is hard to beat.

It is insanely light weight and very comfortable on the wrist. It has the classic speedmaster style bracelet and wonderful clasp. The dial is almost perfect in my opinion as I would prefer it to be solid matte black vs the wavy matte black but it plays tricks on you and looks that way most of the time, so not that big of a deal.

The painted lume smokes that of Rolex and is easily equal to the famous Seiko lume. It really really glows.

The most interesting part, in my opinion is the choice of using a same color aluminum bezel. At first I was searching on how to find a black insert for it – but something hit me. I realized that by not having the contrasting black insert every glance at the watch made your eyes focus first on the time. Those big painted markers and sword hands capture your attention every time. Then the bezel comes into focus if you will.

Combine the internal AR coating on the crystal you have another leg up on the Rolex for when it comes to visibility and glare.

My collection is made up of four primary watches: MKII Vantage (favorite), MKII LRRP MilSub, 2231.50, and the 14060M. All of these but one has AR coating, all of these but one has a matte dial, and all of these but one have painted indices. When I went from daily wear of the Rolex back into a rotation of all 4, it was obvious the Rolex was different when it came back up into rotation.

Back to the Omega, it is in essence due to design / dial layout a great titanium beater / field watch that happens to have an elapsed time bezel. This same outcome makes it a lessor dive watch as the elapsed time bezel is the basis of the dive watch design and should be prominent when used as such – therefore the core design should have a contrasting bold bezel. Gotta know easily how long you have been underwater. I use mine mostly as a timer of things cause I strap on a tank once every.....hell I've not been diving since 2012.

Both are great watches and I enjoy both – but from a practical standpoint the Omega is a better more subtle EDC piece in my opinion as it does a better job at telling time (visually). The Rolex is amazingly accurate for an auto and is consistent at +1 a day since it’s last service. The Omega has settled down for a +4 which is still in COSC specs, as it should be. The Rolex also has zero – nada – no rotor noise whereas the Omega can be heard winding if you get it near your ear. Neither has any bearing on accuracy as both are within spec.

At the end of the day both are great pieces and I am grateful to be able to have both in the collection.

Now for pictures

Finslayer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 04:35 AM   #2
watchstudent
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub and a Speedy
Two great divers. That Omega dial design is maybe their best ever... Well perhaps second to the Speedmaster Professional but it is close.
watchstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2020, 06:03 AM   #3
oscar7610
"TRF" Member

Love both omega and rolex !
oscar7610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2020, 07:24 AM   #4
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
Interesting read, for me the Rolex Submariner is the better watch, but that's just my humble opinion.
Smiths W10 1968
Tissot Seastar 2011
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2020, 05:18 PM   #5
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

In this instance I prefer the Submariner. Pitted against my Seamaster 300, I’d take mine every day over the Submariner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 0A13A390-8A97-49A1-A8D7-C95381B2D8D8.jpeg (164.8 KB, 1286 views)
Old 8 February 2020, 07:37 AM   #6
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
My humble opinion two.
I don’t even have to pause more than a second to say Sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoilsofwar01 View Post
Interesting read, for me the Rolex Submariner is the better watch, but that's just my humble opinion.
Old 9 February 2020, 11:09 AM   #7
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for sharing. For me I pick the Rolex on this comparison
EdwardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2020, 10:22 AM   #8
HappyJack
"TRF" Member

I have the Seamaster Quartz 2264, with the same dial as the Ti, and the 16710 GMT, with essentially the same dial as the Sub. The lume on the SMP is so much better than that of the Rolex that I’ve thought of trading the 16710 for a maxi dial and hands SD116600.
HappyJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 05:52 AM   #9
yisrael42
"TRF" Member

I love my Speedmaster and wouldn’t trade it for anything. on this one though, Submariner gets it every time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
yisrael42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 03:12 PM   #10
LF1925
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Thanks for taking the time for the review. From the watches I owned, definitely felt my 114060 > Seamaster Planet Ocean XL I had.

With that said, I felt in the PO may have been superior in many aspects compared to my Tudor GMT. They are all fine durable tool watches that I'm underutilizing by regulating them to desk duty 99% of the time.
LF1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 11:22 AM   #11
rolexjackson
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, GMT, Daytona
Both amazing watches I don’t think you could go wrong either way
rolexjackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2020, 06:15 PM   #12
SEA watch addict
"TRF" Member

I have owned and worn as daily-wearers two different Omega Speedmasters. Both were mid-1990s models. I have also owned and worn daily five different Rolexes. My experiences lead me to distrust the Omega quality. I had With my Omegas near constant operational or maintenance issues. I liked the styling, but eventually moved on and tried Rolex. Whatever else one may think of Rolex, I have found their watches to be very reliable and low maintenance.
I am curious if you have had similar discoveries.
SEA watch addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2020, 12:52 AM   #13
brian_timepieces
"TRF" Member

Great review, thanks for sharing! Personally I like the sub a little more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brian_timepieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2020, 09:42 AM   #14
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Old 8 October 2020, 06:44 PM   #15
HeitorMartini
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex
Omega Seamaster Professional. Once upon a time I saw this watch on Pier Brosnan, in a film from the Bond series * Golden Eye * and fell in love with it, became infected with it, there is some kind of magic in it ...
HeitorMartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 11:17 PM   #16
mickszym
"TRF" Member

It would be a tough choice, but I'd say 14060. While I like Omega a lot, the "the Brosnan Era' seamasters don't appeal to me much. 2017 SMPc or 2018 Seamasters are much nicer, IMHO
mickszym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 06:14 AM   #17
RickInCA
Banned

I'd take the Omega. It has a more interesting design.
RickInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2021, 04:55 AM   #18
palmtree11
Banned

Mini is better
palmtree11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2021, 12:05 PM   #19
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

Great review. Great watches.
JohnGingerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2021, 12:20 PM   #20
JimBianchi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex OP39 Blue
Great review.

Both are outstanding, but I like a bigger watch and really can't stand Mercedes hands.

Seamaster for me.

My watch channel on YouTube- The Big Wrist
JimBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2021, 12:07 AM   #21
johnsmith
"TRF" Member

Really Amazing review. Thanks for providing us awesome information about Rolex and Omega watch.
johnsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2021, 01:47 PM   #22
Jster
2024 Pledge Member

Great review. Many years ago (around 2005) I was deciding between the Submariner and the Omega 2254.50. I went with the Omega because:
Way better bracelet
Much better legibility
Less expensive

I still have it and still love it. I did upgrade the dial to one that has applied hour markers and applied logo. I’m still content with my decision.
Jster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2021, 02:22 PM   #23
SOG DIVER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680Red-551214060M
After reading the review, I re-read Bob Altieri's "Last of the Best". If you dive in
tool watch water, the "Last of the Best" will convince you of the best choice-
hands down.
SOG DIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2021, 08:11 PM   #24
wjed
Banned

Watch: Datejust
Great review. For me, both watches are amazing.
wjed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2021, 08:46 PM   #25
toneafficianado
2024 Pledge Member

Great review and one relevant to me because I have both these as well though my Omega is the 'electric blue' wave pattern dialed Ti model with the 5 link Ti bracelet.
I love the blue dial and the legibility and thin case and light weight of the Omega It's 107grams!
It's smoothg and reliable but not as accurate as the 14060M.
The Sub was my first Rolex..can't escape the early Bond [Sean Connery] influence!
I'll never sell it because it was a dream watch to me.
The Omega is incredibly enjoyable to wera and own and just look at though.
It's a much bigger watch and the bracelet is wider at the clasp.Butg the case is way slimmer than most more modern Omegas.

It's a very difficult comparison. I say get both as the omega is not dear at all and this model of Sub is the only Sub you need!
toneafficianado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2021, 09:01 PM   #26
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Great review and a welcome change of pace here on the forum

Funny how as watch enthusiasts we perceive some things the same and some things differently. I agree with you on the wearability factor of 5 digit references vs 6 digits to a point, although I do prefer the solid feel of 6 digits in general.

As for the bezels, IMHO the bezel markers stand out more on the Omega than the Submariner. It’s all subjective though.

Thank you for writing a thoughtful review
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2021, 01:18 AM   #27
wjed
Banned

Watch: Datejust
Great review
wjed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2021, 06:34 AM   #28
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
well done op thx for sharing.
i "like" the sub more in this example. but love both brands, lately Omega more than Rolex, big surprise
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote