The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 February 2019, 11:10 AM   #1
bigcountry61
"TRF" Member

RM long term

Thoughts ?

Might pull trigger in RM 1102 Ti, first RM. Love the watch just curious on avid collectors view on brand and value....

TIA

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
bigcountry61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 12:19 PM   #2
s14roller
"TRF" Member

I think you'll find there aren't any TRF'ers that can tell the future. If you love it and have the money, go for it. I had the chance years ago for a RM11 and couldn't tell if it would be a paperweight one day, so regrettably passed.
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 01:54 PM   #3
bigcountry61
"TRF" Member

Well damn.

Old 12 February 2019, 02:19 PM   #4
Slider817
"TRF" Member

Watch: Journe, AP & Lange
As previously said, nobody knows the future. But, RM makes a cool watch, pretty overpriced for what you get. Personally, I like to get value out of my watch purchases, I don’t see that in RM as a brand. I do really like the styling of many of their models, and the RM 11 is a really nice watch.
Slider817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 05:07 PM   #5
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I like that watch but have no clue where they are headed long term. Certainly higher risk of them becoming a nobody than say Patek or something more traditional.
Old 12 February 2019, 06:14 PM   #6
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I like that watch but have no clue where they are headed long term. Certainly higher risk of them becoming a nobody than say Patek or something more traditional.
Indeed. Also, one could argue they started at their peak. Pre-owned / grey market is filled with RM11's all listed well above retail, but I see many of them sitting for months and month (and it's been like this for years and years), so I do wonder if they actually truly command the prices they're asking.

That said, I did some of the watches. Very cool stuff.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 10:22 PM   #7
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

There has been a number of threads related to this.

I'd love to own one, but I can't convince myself that I can reasonably determine where the floor would be on resale in the mid to long term. For Patek, for Lange, for Journe, even Urwerk, I'm pretty confident in what I think the floor will be for those watches (i.e. the bottom price where I know there'll be a buyer) and so I'm comfortable with those. For RM, I don't have the same level of confidence and hence I stay away.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2019, 02:03 AM   #8
TopherMins
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, RM
I currently own 3 RM's and have owned 4 in total. I think for the brand, value wise, you need to own desirable models in desirable materials. The 11-02 and 11-03 in titanium I think will hold their value long term. I think the 35-01 and 35-02 will also hold their value long term.

You get into some of the special edition 30's that they made, those have depreciated quickly as I'm seeing with one that I own.
TopherMins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2019, 08:42 AM   #9
bigcountry61
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the insight guys.

Old 14 February 2019, 09:51 AM   #10
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 03:27 AM   #11
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

There will be good money in these for quite some time, especially in that model. Not saying its going to be something you do as an investment, but they (Richard Mille) most definitely didn't start out with this demand, it's been build up and incredibly impressively from the days they sold for 50 percent off...what you're seeing is a lot of work as a company and some off the wall/ out of the box strategy that lead to a really interesting powerhouse of a brand. If you're curious, nothing will really compare to the watch...and value wise, don't forget...there are people who call anyone who buys a Rolex submariner nuts because a Casio/timex/seiko performs as well if not better, so it's very much eye of the beholder.
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2019, 04:37 AM   #12
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
I recently tried on a couple of RM watches on in NYC when I was buying my AP and really loved everything about them (well other than price). That being said, I have the same "value" question. I know watches aren't an investment, but at some point, you or someone else will be selling it. So if a RM011 is being offered for $140k on the secondary market, does that mean that if you decided to sell it back you'd get $100k, $120k, or something totally different? I have zero problem with them buying low and selling high since they are a business and the pool of potential buyers isn't very large, but would just like to have an idea of what to expect if I went down that road.
The other issue I have with the RM 011s is trying to decipher why one would be $140k and another $350k. So materials are obviously a big part of it, but even looking at "RM 011 Red Gold" brings up a wide variety of prices and subtle differences in dial and crown colors that obviously signify something, but I just can't tell what.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2019, 04:59 AM   #13
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
This is purely for entertainment purposes, but here's an interaction between a shop and an owner of several RMs. They are discussing the value retention of various brands, and Michael suggests that RMs may lose value, as the brand relies a lot on marketing. Pure speculation, but it's interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW1TqHaDfgE
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2019, 01:42 PM   #14
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterandwatches View Post
This is purely for entertainment purposes, but here's an interaction between a shop and an owner of several RMs. They are discussing the value retention of various brands, and Michael suggests that RMs may lose value, as the brand relies a lot on marketing. Pure speculation, but it's interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW1TqHaDfgE

Interesting video for sure. Hard to get a feel for these watches long term. Brilliant rise to the top. Do they have staying power?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2019, 01:45 PM   #15
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Oh goodness, I hate the Producer Michael videos. I'm sorry. No offense is meant to him, but I can't stand the people he generally interacts with in his watch collecting adventures.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2019, 03:09 PM   #16
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Oh goodness, I hate the Producer Michael videos. I'm sorry. No offense is meant to him, but I can't stand the people he generally interacts with in his watch collecting adventures.
He’s just awful. But apparently others enjoy his videos so shows what I know.
Old 5 March 2019, 03:46 PM   #17
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I bought one in Sept... Love it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountry61 View Post
Thoughts ?

Might pull trigger in RM 1102 Ti, first RM. Love the watch just curious on avid collectors view on brand and value....

TIA

watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 09:48 AM   #18
bigcountry61
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchucallit View Post
I bought one in Sept... Love it..
Might pull trigger next week...

Is it me or is there non really available around? Sourcing them has been insane... all bs postings.