The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 March 2019, 01:13 PM   #1
redbottomcleats
"TRF" Member

Thank you, Rolex

New to the community, thank y'all here at TRF for the introduction to the industry.

I am a complete rookie to this. I am growing steadily in my field and have hit some humble milestones and thought it may be time to spend some time and money in a good watch. Alas, Rolex's marketing worked and it was the first brand that came to mind as a luxury watch. Of course, thanks to this forum and others, I now know it is a small, reputable part of a much bigger industry with many more amazing makers.

In all sincerity I must say the introduction to the Rolex experience has been a bit twilight zone-esque at best, frustrating at worst. For the life of me I cannot see how a customer willing to spend $10k on a steel watch must jump through hoops and beg to give a company his or her money. Fortunately I had the benefit of reading TRF before walking in and had an idea of the kind of reaction the young, uninterested salesperson gave when I inquired about SS models. Nobody was rude, but nobody was pleasant. The opportunity of trying on that first luxury watch you could actually walk out with was an impossibility. I knew it and so did the salesperson. The experience felt mostly sterile, void of any real pleasure - or any feeling at all. It was merely a verification of what I already knew.

I have no basis to opine whether the shortage of SS models is artificially created or not, and if it is, whether it is good or bad for the brand in general. What I can tell you is that as a representative of a generation that is coming in to the industry at what seems to be the worst time to do so, I must say I was forced to expand my horological horizon much quicker than I would have otherwise.

And for that, I say thank you, Rolex. The initial Rolex-is-a-luxury-watch marketing that worked led me to researching Rolex. The lack of supply has led me to research other brands, try on other watches, and even aspire to own much more rare pieces.

I have not decided which watch I will end up with. I recently tried on Omegas and Breitlings and will continue to search at different places for my first milestone celebration. Regardless of the end result, thank you all TRF members for the time you take to guide us newbies.
redbottomcleats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 01:59 PM   #2
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Good luck and don't give up! You'll find something great that works for you especially if you buy what you like and plan to wear.
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 02:09 PM   #3
LuxLemon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Same boat as you - 1.5 year process for me that started with Breitling, considering IWC, Tudor, various Rolex, tried on Cartier Santos, countless hours online, YouTube, visits to ADs of all different brands, discussions with friends. Finally decided about 4 months ago what i wanted and was able to buy last Thursday from AD.

My advice - take your time! Don’t immediately jump to another brand because it’s available, don’t immediately only include Rolex or discard Rolex. Happy hunting!
LuxLemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 02:18 PM   #4
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Its like an itch, eventually you’ll end up scratching it. All forays into non-rolex will probably be underwhelming. I’m not slighting other brands, but most don’t make the grade in enough ways. My 2 cents and, yes, I have other brands but, these are carefully chosen “after” having a reasonable Rolex stable...
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 03:34 PM   #5
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Not a good time for 1st timer to get into Rolex SS sport watches. Happy hunting!
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 04:13 PM   #6
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Y’know I think I am also over this Rolex thang.

Eddie.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 04:16 PM   #7
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

What type of Rolex are you interested in? What have you tried on?
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 04:38 PM   #8
Dana1
Banned

It always gets better at the end of the tunnel, don't give up.

Sent from my M5 mini using Tapatalk
Dana1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 04:40 PM   #9
mr_gray
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMURF
just buy a second hand sub and get started dude :-)
mr_gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 04:47 PM   #10
ilovethiscity
"TRF" Member

Watch: the days go by
Hey there and welcome to the forum. I was in the same position less than a month ago coming back from a very long Rolex hiatus (birth of twin boys etc) i understand some will of course want totally brand new but I wasn’t prepared to pay thousands more for it! I managed to find a pre owned (mint with full set) SS Model in a London Jeweller on Chrono24. I made a post about my search but if you have any questions let me know! There will be tons in the US if you are happy with pre-owned
ilovethiscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 04:56 PM   #11
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Take some advice from someone who has been collecting for a good while. Trying to talk/convince yourself that something else will satisfy could be a frustrating and expensive experiment.
There are a TON of preowned options that will get you into the brand with no waitlist. A Breitling or Omega will not scratch the itch, or make you feel satisfied if a Rolex is something you desire
Old 22 March 2019, 05:38 PM   #12
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Just buy the Rolex you want in the secondary market from an out of state dealer. Your savings on the sales tax will offset some of the premium you have to pay. Buy an unworn watch with full box and papers. Buying a Breitling or an Omega won't save you any money in the long run, a lot of people here have tried that and it never works.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 06:04 PM   #13
omx5o
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss GV
Rolex watches are nice to own. Very well made and comfortable. Make sure you go for the ones you really want, as settling for second best often costs you in the long run. Good luck with your first purchase.
omx5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 07:08 PM   #14
avega357
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT's BLNR
The gate way is always a cheap Datejust, if your are really into it: you will know because you will flip it for a sub or gmt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
avega357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 07:43 AM   #15
redbottomcleats
"TRF" Member

Thank y'all for the replies and advice!

I have tried on pre-owned 5/6 digit subs and a couple of DJ 41s. Unfortunately, I have quasi-convinced myself that I need an office DJ but a weekend sub. Because money grows out a tree in my backyard and all, naturally. ;)

In the meantime, I'm hoping to keep the itch at bay with the circa 1960 Air king my super wife got me.
Old 23 March 2019, 01:15 PM   #16
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbottomcleats View Post
Thank y'all for the replies and advice!

I have tried on pre-owned 5/6 digit subs and a couple of DJ 41s. Unfortunately, I have quasi-convinced myself that I need an office DJ but a weekend sub. Because money grows out a tree in my backyard and all, naturally. ;)

In the meantime, I'm hoping to keep the itch at bay with the circa 1960 Air king my super wife got me.
If you want a Sub or a DJ, I'm not sure a 59 year old Air King will scratch your itch.

Did you want the AK? Did your wife ask you before she bought it for you? Would she be upset if you traded it in? How long have you owned it? Let's post a picture of it or it doesn't exist!

A Sub works great in the office and a DJ works great on weekends. I would start with one and then go from there. A black dial OP or Explorer might also suffice as a daily wear watch. If you want a DJ, the black dial with oyster bracelet and smooth bezel would also give you a casual dressy look and a semi-sporty look.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 02:09 PM   #17
redbottomcleats
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
If you want a Sub or a DJ, I'm not sure a 59 year old Air King will scratch your itch.

Did you want the AK? Did your wife ask you before she bought it for you? Would she be upset if you traded it in? How long have you owned it? Let's post a picture of it or it doesn't exist!

A Sub works great in the office and a DJ works great on weekends. I would start with one and then go from there. A black dial OP or Explorer might also suffice as a daily wear watch. If you want a DJ, the black dial with oyster bracelet and smooth bezel would also give you a casual dressy look and a semi-sporty look.
She knew at was looking at the brand and surprised me with it. Excellent question, I don't know if she'd mind if I used it to upgrade. I don't know how much it would help, it is in good condition and just had it serviced, but as a trade it I imagine I would not get much. Thoughts?

I tried on some pre owned 5 and 6 digit subs. I had gone through some threads and it probably gave me some pre conceived notions and exaggerated the differences in my mind, but I definitely liked the 5 better. I tried on a DJ and although it may seem boring in comparison I actually enjoyed it. This was all at a grey that had a double door security system, which again made me wonder why I can't just go into an AD and skip the Shady guy and the likely shotgun underneath the case.

Hope the picture attached!
Old 23 March 2019, 10:08 PM   #18
tx02ag
"TRF" Member

What part of Texas are you in? I know a new customer walking out with a Sub is uncommon now but I was thinking that a DJ being available immediatly for a milestone purchase was still the norm in most of Texas. What DJ41 is your favorite?
♛ Rolex Sky-Dweller 326934 - White Dial ♛ Rolex Milgauss 116400GV - Z-Blue ♛ Tudor Black Bay 79030B - Navy Blue ♛ Rolex Submariner 126613LB - Blusey ♛ Tudor Black Bay 79010 - 58 925 ♛ Rolex Daytona 116500LN - White Dial ♛ Rolex Sea-Dweller 126600 - SD43 ♛ Rolex GMT-Master II 126710 BLRO ♛ Rolex Oyster Perpetual 124300 - Turquoise ♛ Rolex Daytona 116519LN - Steel Dial
tx02ag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 03:27 AM   #19
Rocket_Man
"TRF" Member

Welcome to TRF. Probably the first hard lesson I learned is not buy a watch that doesn't 'sing to you.' What the heck does that mean? You'll know it. One of my first buys was just something to get me started and I sold it less than 6 months later. Mistake but I did not spend a ton on it. Any DJ, even the coveted Blue Stick, is attainable with some patience. You may have to put some money down but you can get them. Same with a Sub, maybe need to wait a bit longer. If the economy turns they might be back in display cases again. It seems like it has been a long time since you could buy a watch out of the case, but those times will come back eventually.

I learned long ago I never surprise my wife with jewelry and I hope she never surprises me with a watch. It works out much better when we skip the surprise part and shop together and get what she wants.
Rocket_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 03:40 AM   #20
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
The Datejust is probably the best all-around Rolex model and it is available new and used
and in a multitude of configurations. While it would not necessarily be my first choice for a
larger collection, as an only nice watch it can't be beat.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 03:44 AM   #21
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Never think of a watch as a potential investment. As others have said, buy what you will enjoy, and enjoy the hell out of it.

Don't settle. If you have to wait to save up for something pricier than something else that's do-able right now, then wait. By settling for something now because it "sort of" fits your taste, you will only find the itch for your true favorite returns even stronger than before.

Nobody's opinion on what model to buy counts except yours. You're paying, you're wearing it, and you are the only one who knows what's the right watch for you. Asking for advice about whether or not a particular watch is worth the cost is great. But I cringe when somebody asks, "Should I buy a Hulk or a GMT?"

Take a look at the Who's Who section in the Classifieds to get the info on a potential seller. Always deal with a vetted Trusted Seller. Always.
Old 24 March 2019, 03:45 AM   #22
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 03:47 AM   #23
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
Hell if I know, I just keep adding more!
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 04:10 AM   #24
Bigguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller 4000
Quote:
Originally Posted by avega357 View Post
The gate way is always a cheap Datejust, if your are really into it: you will know because you will flip it for a sub or gmt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would hardly call a datejust “cheap”

I’ve owned several GMT’s and six digit Sub’s and a sea dweller 4000 and moved them all on. My latest pick up was a DJ41 and for me personally, it’s definately a keeper.
Bigguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 04:25 AM   #25
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbottomcleats View Post
New to the community, thank y'all here at TRF for the introduction to the industry.

I am a complete rookie to this. I am growing steadily in my field and have hit some humble milestones and thought it may be time to spend some time and money in a good watch. Alas, Rolex's marketing worked and it was the first brand that came to mind as a luxury watch. Of course, thanks to this forum and others, I now know it is a small, reputable part of a much bigger industry with many more amazing makers.

In all sincerity I must say the introduction to the Rolex experience has been a bit twilight zone-esque at best, frustrating at worst. For the life of me I cannot see how a customer willing to spend $10k on a steel watch must jump through hoops and beg to give a company his or her money. Fortunately I had the benefit of reading TRF before walking in and had an idea of the kind of reaction the young, uninterested salesperson gave when I inquired about SS models. Nobody was rude, but nobody was pleasant. The opportunity of trying on that first luxury watch you could actually walk out with was an impossibility. I knew it and so did the salesperson. The experience felt mostly sterile, void of any real pleasure - or any feeling at all. It was merely a verification of what I already knew.

I have no basis to opine whether the shortage of SS models is artificially created or not, and if it is, whether it is good or bad for the brand in general. What I can tell you is that as a representative of a generation that is coming in to the industry at what seems to be the worst time to do so, I must say I was forced to expand my horological horizon much quicker than I would have otherwise.

And for that, I say thank you, Rolex. The initial Rolex-is-a-luxury-watch marketing that worked led me to researching Rolex. The lack of supply has led me to research other brands, try on other watches, and even aspire to own much more rare pieces.

I have not decided which watch I will end up with. I recently tried on Omegas and Breitlings and will continue to search at different places for my first milestone celebration. Regardless of the end result, thank you all TRF members for the time you take to guide us newbies.
I appreciate your perspective. Your story reinforces what I have said multiple times on this forum: I'd hate to be a new watch collector looking into Rolex. Your AD experience is par for the course these days and reflects a sad state of affairs. If you are searching for a Submariner, Datejust, or even something else; waitlists aren't too bad for some of these more common models. Surely if you are looking for Daytona or GMT-Master II, I'd advise you looking elsewhere. If you are interested in a Submariner, I'd encourage you to put your name down somewhere or spend the premium with a grey dealer to get one now.

If this experience has turned you off to Rolex, I'd look seriously at IWC. I absolutely love their designs. I also collect Panerai, but they tend to be more polarizing due to their size.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 04:32 AM   #26
emtee
"TRF" Member

Rolex is the king of marketing hands down. What they have achieved over the last couple of years is quite literally genius.

There is way more to watches than just Rolex. Good luck in your search.
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 05:02 AM   #27
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
Don’t be discouraged by the first AD you walked in, some AD are better than others. The second thing is don’t feel you need to buy new. My first Rolex, a GMT coke was pre-owned. For years it was my only watch, i still have it to this day, although I now have many others, most of them I bought pre-owned and the more modern one ( six digit ) new. You are also right to look at other brands, I started expending beyond Rolex and have discovered a lot of great brand, some known such as Omega (got a speedy 60th anniversary a month ago) and Greand Seiko, which I have started getting interested a year ago, and I think will be my next buy. There are also a wide range of “micro brands” that are newer, not as well known but produce great watches the “Ianos Watches” comes to mind or Zodiak, more established and definitely with a long history but small. Rolex are great, but they are definitely not “it”
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 05:08 AM   #28
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
I wanted a Rolex 5 years ago. Instead I bought a much cheaper Breitling. Then another Breitling. Then an Omega. Then another Omega. Then more of both. None of them made me truly happy because I wanted the Rolex from the start. All the experience taught me was you lose a ton of money flipping Omegas and Breitlings (particularly Breitlings) into Rolexes.

I wouldn't change the way I did it however. The best experience is bought experience after all. I learned a bunch about watches before I ever owned a Rolex. So do whatever to get yourself an education. But I can tell you from experience if a Rolex is what initially sang to you, you likely won't be satisfied until you get it. YMMV.

Good luck, and happy collecting!
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 05:13 AM   #29
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman2005 View Post
Not a good time for 1st timer to get into Rolex SS sport watches. Happy hunting!
Very true.....wish I had got into it even 10 years before I did!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 05:25 AM   #30
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Welcome to TRF!

I agree, nothing pi$$e$ me off more than having the means, desire, and the use, only to come up short. I was lucky to get in this mess when a GMT was affordable AND attainable.

I'd seriously look at Tudor. Many Rolex owners like me who've really come to appreciate the little brother brand. Having said that, if it's a Rolex you've always desired, then a Rolex it shall be.

Good luck,
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote