The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 27 March 2021, 03:29 AM   #1
cbalster
"TRF" Member

Sbgk005

I have an opportunity to pick this up at what I think(?) is a good price.

Seems like a very nice piece, somewhat overlooked.

I have a SBGA211 which I keep on strap with the bracelet tucked back in the box. Should be a nice compliment no? Any other pieces worth considering vs this?
cbalster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 08:14 AM   #2
accountank2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN, 79220R
I'm not really a fan of this model as I'm not sure I like the busy left and right with all the blank space at the bottom. It almost looks a bit congested in some parts while quiet in others. A good power reserve for the manual wind, but there are a huge number of elegant manual wind watches.

Still, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. As a general principle, there's nothing wrong with picking up a watch you like at what you think is a good price. When you look at what GS has to offer across the spectrum of manual wind, automatic, hi beat, spring drive and quartz, there is too much choice to get them all. So the question to ask yourself is, is this 'very nice piece' any better than the hundreds of nice pieces across all brands that exist.

Personally, it looks quite nice, but it's definitely not in my top 5 or top 10 things to spend money on out of all the different things that I might spend a few thousand pounds or dollars on buying across the whole list of things that consumers might buy across this great planet of ours. But if you want it, get it!
accountank2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2021, 03:29 AM   #3
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbalster View Post
I have an opportunity to pick this up at what I think(?) is a good price.

Seems like a very nice piece, somewhat overlooked.

I have a SBGA211 which I keep on strap with the bracelet tucked back in the box. Should be a nice compliment no? Any other pieces worth considering vs this?
All in the eye of the beholder, of course, but for me the SBGK005 is one of the most beautiful, comfortable Grand Seikos around. I'd definitely recommend it.

That stunning textured blue Mt. Iwate dial and the balance of the sub-dial at 9 o'clock and power-reserve meter at 3 o'clock gives the watch a funky retro appearance. The case design with the curved lugs also gives the watch a great old-school feel, thin at 11.6mm but with great wrist presence at 39mm overall .... such a comfortable watch.

I'm biased because I own one, but many others agree. Watch sold out fairly quickly as a limited edition (1,500). You can't get them from ADs any more. Here's a good video review of the watch:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/gr...sbgk005-review
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg GRAND SEIKO SBGK005 copy-2.jpeg (226.0 KB, 116 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote