The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 29 March 2021, 01:31 AM   #31
Pattymac
Banned

Watch: BLNR
There seem to be many replies on this topic that focus on the financial side of this trade proposition. Certainly that may factor into your decision, but I recommend focusing on getting the watch that you want to wear. The Explorer and SBGA413 are quite different.
Ultimately the value of the watch in the future is only important if you decide to sell it.
Pattymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 04:21 AM   #32
munichblue
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post
You'd be crazy to consider that trade. I deeply respect GS, but they are still far behind Rolex in terms of case design, bracelet, and clasp. Ignoring all other aspects (brand recognition, value, market conditions, etc.) the Rolex is still objectively better on wrist.

What is it that makes Rolex fan boys so ignorant and let them fade out reality like that? If there’s a single aspect where Rolex is superior it’s their marketing.
munichblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 04:39 AM   #33
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by munichblue View Post

What is it that makes Rolex fan boys so ignorant and let them fade out reality like that? If there’s a single aspect where Rolex is superior it’s their marketing.
I love GS, but Rolex's bracelets are indisputably better.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 05:33 AM   #34
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
I love GS, but Rolex's bracelets are indisputably better.

How is the oyster bracelet “superior”?

The Glidelock clasp is definitely superior, but only if one values day-to-day adjustability over overall comfort and aesthetics.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 05:39 AM   #35
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattymac View Post
There seem to be many replies on this topic that focus on the financial side of this trade proposition. Certainly that may factor into your decision, but I recommend focusing on getting the watch that you want to wear. The Explorer and SBGA413 are quite different.
Ultimately the value of the watch in the future is only important if you decide to sell it.

Personally, I don’t look to wear “value retention” or “my first Rolex”. If the love is gone, it’s time to move on. That being said, if I still really like my current watch, I refrain from flipping to the newest best thing.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 08:33 AM   #36
Rexplorer214270
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO;PP5230G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post

Personally, I don’t look to wear “value retention” or “my first Rolex”. If the love is gone, it’s time to move on. That being said, if I still really like my current watch, I refrain from flipping to the newest best thing.
Yea, that is the tough part because the love and enjoyment for the Explorer is still there. The GS is just an intriguing piece.
Rexplorer214270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 09:39 AM   #37
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
I probably wouldn’t. The explorer is a close to perfect watch IMO. I love my sbga413, and I’m fortunate to have it and an explorer II. But if I was forced to keep one it would be the Rolex. But the explorer line is my favorite in the Rolex catalogue so I may be biased.
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 10:44 AM   #38
kevn00
"TRF" Member

as a spring owner, i would not trade your explorer for without trying titanium watches. also, theres no micro adjust. that might bother you greatly if you're used to your quick adjust on the explorer and divers extension on the sub. do you care about quick date changes? theres no quick date change on the 413.
kevn00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 11:54 AM   #39
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by munichblue View Post

Thanks, you are right I am a fan of Rolex and also a fan of GS, Omega, and Tudor, hence you will find all of the above in my small and thoughtfully curated collection. As I mentioned earlier, ignoring all other factors, I find Rolex supremely more comfortable on wrist. There is no comparison, Rolex bracelet vs. GS bracelet, Rolex clasp vs. GS clasp, it's night and day.

By the way, you won't find any of the over-hyped models among my choices. I have an Explorer and simple Oyster Perpetual in 36mm, that's all, both very under-the-radar, so you can take your "marketing" argument and place it in the trash, right next to the GS bracelet.
TimeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 03:46 PM   #40
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
How is the oyster bracelet “superior”?

The Glidelock clasp is definitely superior, but only if one values day-to-day adjustability over overall comfort and aesthetics.
yeah micro adjustment is nice to have, but it's also bulkier. if you can get a good fit on the GS bracelet, I like it's more streamlined clasp better.

I find it strange for people to say its a deal killer when no Patek clasp offers no micro adjustments nor does AP RO. And oh, neither does Rolex's flagship DD40.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 04:28 PM   #41
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexplorer214270 View Post
...the love and enjoyment for the Explorer is still there.
That’s all the information we need. The answer is no.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 05:14 PM   #42
munichblue
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post
:... so you can take your "marketing" argument and place it in the trash, right next to the GS bracelet.
munichblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 09:56 PM   #43
Pattymac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevn00 View Post
as a spring owner, i would not trade your explorer for without trying titanium watches. also, theres no micro adjust. that might bother you greatly if you're used to your quick adjust on the explorer and divers extension on the sub. do you care about quick date changes? theres no quick date change on the 413.
The SBGA413, which uses the 9R65 movement, does have a quick set date feature.
Old 30 March 2021, 03:49 AM   #44
kevn00
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattymac View Post
The SBGA413, which uses the 9R65 movement, does have a quick set date feature.
Sorry i was not clear. yes there is a quick set date feature, but there is no instant date change that rolex has. Some people might find seeing the date slowly changing as 12am approaches to be ugly.
kevn00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2021, 08:22 AM   #45
evlkoala
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Yes, only for the SBGA413. That is a special one.
evlkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2021, 10:24 AM   #46
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
value retention, notional differences in bracelet construction blah blah blah- look, when you look down at your wrist what will make you smile more, the Explorer or the GS ? That's 100% down to you.

I've traded and sold Rolex to acquire IWC, Panerai, Omega, Blancpain and others and I regret nothing. I'd rather love a watch and enjoy wearing it. I spend more in a year on stupid stuff like fancy coffee, than the "loss" on any watch, to keep things in perspective.
Old 30 March 2021, 10:38 AM   #47
Rexplorer214270
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO;PP5230G
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
value retention, notional differences in bracelet construction blah blah blah- look, when you look down at your wrist what will make you smile more, the Explorer or the GS ? That's 100% down to you.

I've traded and sold Rolex to acquire IWC, Panerai, Omega, Blancpain and others and I regret nothing. I'd rather love a watch and enjoy wearing it. I spend more in a year on stupid stuff like fancy coffee, than the "loss" on any watch, to keep things in perspective.
Tough part is, both would make me smile
Rexplorer214270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2021, 11:09 AM   #48
Pattymac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevn00 View Post
Sorry i was not clear. yes there is a quick set date feature, but there is no instant date change that rolex has. Some people might find seeing the date slowly changing as 12am approaches to be ugly.
Yes - I misunderstood, sorry. The new 9RA5 movement will have a faster date change. It's not in the SBGA413 though.
Old 1 April 2021, 07:22 AM   #49
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
IMO the Explorer is one of the most classic, versatile, timeless watches ever made. The king of the go anywhere do anything watches. Even more so than the Sub; again my opinion. GS make extraordinary watches. I’m not saying I would not trade a Rolex for a GS. I’m just saying I wouldn’t trade the Explorer for that, or probably any, GS. Additionally, I’m not sure how that particular GS will age over time as far as it’s versatility and timelessness; I definitely don’t think it will beat out the Explorer in the long run.
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2021, 01:30 AM   #50
slimwristy
"TRF" Member

I think the Explorer is an amazing watch but GS just took my breath away, their dials are out of this world. Get what makes you happy.. you already have a sub for the value retention.
slimwristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2021, 07:44 PM   #51
Franzl
"TRF" Member

If value retention is of importance to you than only sell your Rolex to fund another Rolex, certain Patek references and certain AP references. That’s it. However, if value retention is just an afterthought than go ahead. I personally like the GS very much.
Franzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2021, 09:08 PM   #52
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Between the two I would pick the GS.
Amazing dial, hands and markers
Old 3 April 2021, 05:52 AM   #53
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexplorer214270 View Post
Thanks, really my main concern is retained value when it comes to Grand Seiko. The Explorer is my first Rolex and still do enjoy it but the GS is really tugging at me. Unfortunately, I can’t at this point just outright buy the GS. I would still have a Submariner.
Here in lies a dilemma for many watch enthusiasts: are we collectors or investors ... most people are likely both . It’s a good thing to have some watches that retain good value! But there are so many other amazing brands out there ! So it’s ok to include some watches that .... sing to you ! , get you feeling something special !
Grand Seiko is such a brand and can stand proudly beside the Swiss Trinity , in what they have to offer .
Kinnakeet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2021, 11:11 AM   #54
cajunron
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
As much as I love Seiko/GS, you will never match the resale value of Rolex.
Old 4 April 2021, 12:55 PM   #55
Mifune
Banned

never ever trade a Rolie for a GS... but there is room for both.

Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote