The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 28 March 2021, 02:47 PM   #31
JasonBetts
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
I've never owned one of these, but I am appreciating the photos of these interesting and unique dials. I also really like the fact that the owners are following their own tastes, instead of blindly listening to "elite" collectors who want to tell them that their watches are inferior and would like to control what people should appreciate and value. Sorry, it doesn't work that way, watch-snobs. People like what they like.

I love to see people wearing the watches that give them joy, as opposed to the watches that they are told they should like. This thread was clearly started as a celebration of these dials, and I have no idea why some people feel it's appropriate to crap on the thread with their critical and unsolicited comments. If you don't like them, you don't have to look. Nobody asked your opinion. Feel free to start your own thread about how you hate spider dials.

On point Dan. I am celebrating mine for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JasonBetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2021, 11:47 PM   #32
bfisher690
"TRF" Member

Service dials are fine, in my book. They just aren’t original to the watch. The original state is part of the value in vintage. Refinishing a beat up vintage car has a massive effect on value. But it doesn’t make it a bad car. Some would prefer it. This is all just tiers of value. Original and mint is still king. Spiders are worth less now. I see that changing.

A service dial is still a genuine part. And, it makes for a more affordable watch. I actually traded my sub with a service case and bracelet for my all original 5513 with a spider. Different strokes...
bfisher690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 01:51 AM   #33
1watch
"TRF" Member

Show us your spiders!

Nothing wrong with appreciating photos. It’s also important to share context when comments are made that these are highly priced, which is not currently accurate compared to non-crazed examples and could be misleading to new vintage collectors.

1watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2021, 03:29 PM   #34
genta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
I've never owned one of these, but I am appreciating the photos of these interesting and unique dials. I also really like the fact that the owners are following their own tastes, instead of blindly listening to "elite" collectors who want to tell them that their watches are inferior and would like to control what people should appreciate and value. Sorry, it doesn't work that way, watch-snobs. People like what they like.

I love to see people wearing the watches that give them joy, as opposed to the watches that they are told they should like. This thread was clearly started as a celebration of these dials, and I have no idea why some people feel it's appropriate to crap on the thread with their critical and unsolicited comments. If you don't like them, you don't have to look. Nobody asked your opinion. Feel free to start your own thread about how you hate spider dials.

Thank you!

genta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2021, 03:38 PM   #35
genta
"TRF" Member

Show us your spiders!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watch View Post
Nothing wrong with appreciating photos. It’s also important to share context when comments are made that these are highly priced, which is not currently accurate compared to non-crazed examples and could be misleading to new vintage collectors.

In one of my initial posts I told you exactly the opposite, I paid low dollars for my 5513 due to the spider dial - for me its a bargain - a normal 5513 are boring next to mine:)

Old 2 April 2021, 01:31 AM   #36
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

‘Tis not a tangled web we weave,
I see orange spiders, I do believe!

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg AF91D974-240B-46AC-85C2-A011CE206EBE.jpeg (115.4 KB, 108 views)
miamiclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2021, 02:07 PM   #37
bfisher690
"TRF" Member

They are gorgeous. If people appreciate the period, they undoubtedly appreciate spiders. It’a already happening. History will sort out the value. But anything that has radically changed is a devaluation in Rolex’s eyes...

I simply love mine. I love faded dials and ghost bezels too. But I’d never pay more than mint examples for either of those variants. That’s just collecting 101.

But, funk has a story. And that has its place.
bfisher690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2021, 10:07 PM   #38
Greglaw
Banned

Who cares if they are worth more or less, so long as the dial stays together and pieces don’t break off, they look awesome to me. Maybe not to others, but, if we all had the same tastes the world would be a boring place.
Greglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2021, 05:04 AM   #39
1watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by genta View Post
In one of my initial posts I told you exactly the opposite, I paid low dollars for my 5513 due to the spider dial - for me its a bargain - a normal 5513 are boring next to mine:)

I wasn't referring to a specific poster regarding value. These are interesting to see in pics for sure. I guess it's all about individual interest at the right price compared to non-crazed, clean examples that most collectors seem to prefer. It's why they go for higher prices if case, hands, etc. are in comparable condition.
1watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2021, 02:38 AM   #40
genta
"TRF" Member

Old 9 April 2021, 08:23 PM   #41
gur1982
"TRF" Member

gur1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2021, 02:14 AM   #42