The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 8 April 2021, 10:30 PM   #1
topito
"TRF" Member

should I buy 7300/1200A-001?

I just want to buy a Patek Philippe for my wife as a surprised gift(12th anniversary)
as I am not quite a watch enthusiast (been wearing Rolex DSSD for many years and that's the only luxury watch I own), however, I found 7300/1200A-001 is a very beautiful lady watch . But I'm not sure whether it is a good choice in terms of future value.
(actually I also like aquanuat.. but it's too expensive)

Please share your thoughts , Thank you in advance
topito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 11:19 PM   #2
CastorKrieg
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
In terms of future value - no, forget about it. The only watches that will retain value for the predictable future are steel watches from Nautilus, Aquanaut family. Personally I would also avoid the diamonds.

Have you thought about 7118/1A?
CastorKrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 11:38 PM   #3
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

The general recommendation is get the watch you (or your wife) will enjoy wearing. However you will find a large group of people here on TRF whose main focus is buying watches as an investment, rather for your personal enjoyment.

7300 is a great women's Patek and most women's watches have diamonds on them as that is what they like. There are some men who like diamonds on the bezel or dial, so all personal preference. I am sure the new Nautilus with diamond bezel will sell out quickly.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 11:51 PM   #4
CastorKrieg
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
7300 is a great women's Patek and most women's watches have diamonds on them as that is what they like.
I would disagree with the above a bit - I know plenty of women who are high skilled professionals and would never entertain diamonds on a watch - that is the domain of jewelry. They want exactly the same watch as men do (since they don't feel in any way inferior to men) in the appropriate size. That also goes for mechanical movement vs. quartz, which Patek recognized by launching the new Twenty-4.

Also diamonds inflate the price of a watch. I personally think Sandrine Stern is probably responsible for all of that.
CastorKrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 11:56 PM   #5
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastorKrieg View Post
I would disagree with the above a bit - I know plenty of women who are high skilled professionals and would never entertain diamonds on a watch - that is the domain of jewelry. They want exactly the same watch as men do (since they don't feel in any way inferior to men) in the appropriate size. That also goes for mechanical movement vs. quartz, which Patek recognized by launching the new Twenty-4.

Also diamonds inflate the price of a watch. I personally think Sandrine Stern is probably responsible for all of that.
My wife loves diamond lol. She has been asking why her 7234a doesn't comes with them

IMG_08042021_215503_(900_x_900_pixel).jpg
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 12:00 AM   #6
ragsk
Banned

If its value retention you are after, stick with a ladies Nautilus.

I bought one for my wife a couple of years ago. Its rose gold with a diamond bezel and she totally loves it. She wears it largely in the evenings when we go out.

I don't think she would love it as much without the diamonds. She has a few other watches (some with diamonds some without) but those don't get as much dinner party airtime.

Here it is:

https://www.patek.com/en/collection/...7118-1200R-001
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 03:02 AM   #7
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Most women love diamonds no matter they are professional or housewife. Some men do love diamonds also such as Michael the producer who has his Youtube on watches.

Most timepieces have no gender, only the smaller size that go for women and men with smaller wrist.

Most of the timepieces that gain value are sport models without diamonds.

If you aren't a flipper, buy watch that you or your wife love to wear and have a smiling face.

Don't think about retention value but if you keep it long enough, most of them will go higher due to the inflation.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
, Seiko: SRPA21,
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 03:59 AM   #8
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastorKrieg View Post

I want to get a 7140R for my wife but her biggest pushback is the diamond bezel. Although she quite likes the 7118/1200A and wished that she had gotten that instead of the 7118/1A

But I completely agreed that Patek should come up with more ladies watches without diamonds. It is much easier to buy 2-3 watches which you can wear day-to-day but one watch only suitable for evening
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 04:40 AM   #9
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

AFAIK Thierry Stern's wife Sandrine designs all the women's watches. Over the years, the women's selection has expanded greatly and so women do have a choice if they want diamonds or not, whether they want a sporty watch or a more elegant dress watch. About a third of the Patek watch produced are women's watches and so it is a large market.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 05:26 AM   #10
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzsiam View Post
Most women love diamonds no matter they are professional or housewife. Some men do love diamonds also such as Michael the producer who has his Youtube on watches.

Most timepieces have no gender, only the smaller size that go for women and men with smaller wrist.

Most of the timepieces that gain value are sport models without diamonds.

If you aren't a flipper, buy watch that you or your wife love to wear and have a smiling face.

Don't think about retention value but if you keep it long enough, most of them will go higher due to the inflation.
Cannot agree more. If your plan is to buy something which will appreciate, most likely you are not going to wear it much since wear and tear will affect the value. So that completely defeats the purpose of getting a watch and we have much better investment vehicles which you can put money in without wearing it. (Bitcoins? )

This concept of watch as an investment is a really novel idea to me. Twenty years ago when I bought some of my "hot" SS Rolex sports watches, I never expected them to appreciate in value and expected to take a deep loss when I need to sell it and it never bothered me. It was bought just because I enjoy the watch, if the investment factor was there, I probably would not have any watches right now. Most people don't get into a marriage planning a divorce.
Old 9 April 2021, 11:59 AM   #11
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
My wife loves diamond lol. She has been asking why her 7234a doesn't comes with them

Attachment 1213796
Is the 7234a good as a unisex watch?
Old 9 April 2021, 12:03 PM   #12
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
Is the 7234a good as a unisex watch?
Yes it wears bigger than a DJ36 and it is perfectly fine on my wrist.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 12:37 PM   #13
benzng
"TRF" Member

i think the 7234a or g is a better watch :)
benzng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2021, 03:58 AM   #14
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Yes it wears bigger than a DJ36 and it is perfectly fine on my wrist.
Thanks for the feedback.
Old 10 April 2021, 12:28 PM   #15
jerryguo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, Lange
i think the most important thing is whether your wife likes it or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jerryguo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 10:39 AM   #16
lovewatches1987
"TRF" Member

I am getting a green 7300 soon, so my advise is yes. But it's better to ask her before, if she likes it. No, not likes it, LOVES it! This is the only point of buying this things;)
lovewatches1987 is offline   Reply With Quote