The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 11 April 2021, 07:38 AM   #1
Al1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Watch
5196r

Any owners here?

Thinking of getting one at from an AD who I’ve not purchased from before. Have moved to a new city so not even sure if it’s a relationship piece or easy to find. Whilst I could probably save a bit getting it from a grey dealer, I figure why not try to also build some history given I plan to stay here for a few years.

Whilst I mostly have sports watches i’m thinking of branching out to dressier watches, and this one feels like a good place to start.

Appreciate any feedback from current/prior owners on whether it’s so dressy that it only works with formal attire or if it wouldn’t look too out of place with smart/casual.

Thanks!
Al1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 07:58 AM   #2
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
i don't own the 5196R although i love it.
i like how you think of paying a little more and starting a relationship with your AD (in addition to having your name on the papers which i truly value).
that doesn't prevent you from asking for a little discount.
5196R are available.
but before pulling the trigger, i would really suggest waiting until the 12th of April and see the new releases. there are speculations of a new Calatrava (or more).
you might like it
Old 11 April 2021, 08:30 AM   #3
MadSpaniard
"TRF" Member

I have the 5196G, like it a lot, purchased it at my AD. I think the primary question to ask is, do you really like the watch and do you really want the watch? If so, then the next question is where to get it.

I always buy from my one and only AD - but make no mistake, I only buy exactly what I want to buy (i.e. no bundles, ever, under any circumstances). I deal exclusively with my AD because they've proven they can provide what I want on terms I believe are fair and reasonable.

Point being: when you approach a potential AD, you should be honest and sincere. But ultimately, your vendor should prove themselves to you, not the other way around, in a manner that is fair and equitable for both parties. Don't try to take advantage of the AD, and in return, don't let them take advantage of you. Fairness is a two-way street.

Regarding the 5196 and dressy watches: that's entirely a matter of taste. Patek's DNA and heritage is on the dressy and formal side (recent Nautilus/Aquanaut frenzy notwithstanding). So if you're looking for dressy, Patek is a great brand to consider. I would even say, that's why you should consider Patek in the first place.

BTW, I'm in tech, and all of my Pateks (all dressy) look great in short sleeves and/or jeans and/or sport jacket. They're discrete. People don't know exactly what it is, but people do get a sense it's something nice. I've gotten plenty of compliments, they often go unnoticed, but they never get snide remarks.

Have fun making your purchase decision, and best of luck to you.
MadSpaniard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 02:47 AM   #4
thanyasr
"TRF" Member

I have one and really like it. It is the watch that gets a lot of my wrist time (even on weekend)
thanyasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 05:12 AM   #5
Billfav
"TRF" Member

I agree with all on this thread.

The MadSpaniard reply is well stated and spot on in terms of working with an AD.

I think the 5196 is a wonderful reference and I certainly would have on in my collection if it were not for a few pieces I have that would become redundant if I were to acquire one.

And as azizu stated - before pulling the trigger lets see what is announced tomorrow.
Billfav is offline   Reply With Quote