The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 29 November 2020, 12:40 AM   #1
Sub737
"TRF" Member

Just enjoying a simple Submariner

So, was just thinking, and wonder if others share the experience where in the process of collecting, and/or just enjoying watches, you come across a certain watch, that for some reason, just fits the bill, like you could just wear that one watch from now on.

I'll go back in time now, just to add point of reference. While in college many years ago, a high school friend lost his mother to cancer. She left him money, and he went out and bought a Rolex Submariner, I believe the 16610. I couldn't quite understand spending that kind of money on really anything at that time, let alone a watch , and he even would say it was fake to all that would ask, again something I also never understood. He still has this same watch, obviously now I understand the point, and understand the meaning, and also one day the value of passing that watch down to one of his sons.

Now for me, I also always wore a watch, even in the cellphone era, but a Bulova, a Tag, and never considered spending money on say a Rolex. I think I was reading in a magazine, and came across an article about high end watches, and something just clicked. I could afford a Rolex now, but started with a Panerai, dress watch (PAM01392) and quickly thereafter got a Panerai dive watch, but always looking at Rolex the whole time, felt it was matter of time that I got one. Of course I ended up getting one, a beautiful 5513 that I just love, enjoy every time I wear it, the look or glow of the hands when looked at at angle through the acrylic glass, but not a daily watch for some reason. So I go on down the line, and enjoy reading on this forum, and watching review videos, etc. I acquire a number of Rolex watches, and start just rotating watches whenever I felt like a change, but likely wear them all at some point, so just enjoyed the diversity, the sub, the Datejust, explorer I,II, old 6694s, air kings, etc.

I think about a year ago I got a 16610 at a great price, it had a small chip on the glass, which may be replacement glass, but hardly noticeable damage, tritium dial, some wear to the ring from prior polish, but my point is not perfect specimen, but still nice watch. The band it came with was rubber, I replaced with a distressed brown leather band from Hodinkee, which I liked very much, but still rotated all my watches.

Just about two weeks ago I changed to a alligator leather band from Everest, and there was some weird transformation in the watch, or me, just not sure, but hasn't left my wrist. Maybe this will all pass, but I remember someone writing on the forum about just putting on a watch and forgetting about it, and this is sort of what happened. I likely have what one would call better watches, more value, better quality. This watch doesn't have papers, or any history, but I guess Im making my own history with it. I'm not terrified if I scratch it, but of course will take care of it, but I'm just amazed that I have gotten to this point. Not sure if this means I will stop looking for and possibly buying more watches, but nice to pause for a time, just enjoy a watch.

Just wonder if anyone has a similar story, would be interested in reading the other experiences members of this forum have had in this regard.

Please have a wonderful weekend
Sub737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 12:57 AM   #2
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Just enjoying a simple Submariner

I purchased my 16613 blue without papers specifically for this reason. I did not want anything getting in the way mentally of enjoying my purchase. It’s been off my wrist for maybe an hour since June. Wear and enjoy it in good health!! I would source an oyster bracelet for it but that’s just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 02:27 AM   #3
Filipćo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
@Sub737

Would love to have a glimpse of your 16610 with the Everest band!

:-)
Filipćo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 06:42 AM   #4
Sub737
"TRF" Member

Mr G and Filipao, thank you for your replies. Agree, sometimes the best watch with full set is more of a concern, possibly less about the wearing of the watch to some, more about keeping it safe, or in a safe perhaps. I will work on a picture, just have to figure out the process, tapatalk or something.
Old 29 November 2020, 07:00 AM   #5
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub737 View Post
Mr G and Filipao, thank you for your replies. Agree, sometimes the best watch with full set is more of a concern, possibly less about the wearing of the watch to some, more about keeping it safe, or in a safe perhaps. I will work on a picture, just have to figure out the process, tapatalk or something.

Tapatalk is exceptional for posting pics. No resizing required.

MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 07:46 AM   #6
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Love this. I get it. My 1680 will always be my one true companion.

Thanks for sharing.
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 10:26 AM   #7
Paul7
Banned

I agree with the OP thinking, earlier this year I bought a pre-loved Exp. II 16570 with no box or papers, which to me are just something else to store and possibly misplace. I could have spent another $2K for a 'perfect' model with box and papers but saw no reason to for a daily wearer that will be getting more wear from me. They can spruce it up at the next service. It does take away the fear of wearing a pristine watch, I don't worry about it.

Would bet not one person has noticed the chip on the glass.
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 10:58 AM   #8
Filipćo
"TRF" Member

Nothing beats a daily beater.
Old 29 November 2020, 11:23 AM   #9
Rocketman39
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,Hulk,GMTII
Made to be worn and Loved by You !
Rocketman39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 01:27 PM   #10
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I keep checking in, but still no photos.
Old 29 November 2020, 02:07 PM   #11
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
My one full set enjoys its spot in the safety deposit box. The rest are original but worn examples. I really love them. While the collector approach is to try to trade two good things for one great item, it’s not as fun due to the portable nature of rolexes
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 08:31 PM   #12
Sub737
"TRF" Member

Alright, thought I had set up Tapatalk correctly, but was denied upload, too few posts in total, so trying again after reading posts on the forum. I hope these images are not too disappointing. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, or love is blind, or something along that line. Thank you for your interest, please continue to share your watch stories, I find the reading very enjoyable, this seems like a great group. Have a great day
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg thumbnail-2.jpeg (15.3 KB, 940 views)
File Type: jpeg thumbnail.jpeg (15.6 KB, 939 views)
Old 29 November 2020, 08:38 PM   #13
Sub737
"TRF" Member

The posted images look to be of horrible quality, even possibly blurred, and they were not at the start. I apologize, but this is another post toward the number 10 that will allow me to use Tapatalk, so the future is bright. Again, I think the pictures are less important that the idea, just that there are times when a watch just seems to fit, maybe represent who you are, what you're about, or want to be about, and it is regardless of value, or condition, or papers. Its a great place to be, just satisfied with the present, not striving for something new and improved. This may be temporary, but it is a good place to be, and I hope that many feel the same way for a least some time during their watch collecting/enjoying experience. Please let me know if this is the case with you, or has been in the past. Again, enjoy the remainder of your weekends.
Old 29 November 2020, 09:06 PM   #14
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
...the collector approach is to try to trade two good things for one great item
I'd never heard this before, but it's a great way to trim an over-enthusiastic collection. [Points finger at self ] The dream of boiling the whole thing down into a single watch...
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 01:28 AM   #15
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub737 View Post
So, was just thinking, and wonder if others share the experience where in the process of collecting, and/or just enjoying watches, you come across a certain watch, that for some reason, just fits the bill, like you could just wear that one watch from now on.

I'll go back in time now, just to add point of reference. While in college many years ago, a high school friend lost his mother to cancer. She left him money, and he went out and bought a Rolex Submariner, I believe the 16610. I couldn't quite understand spending that kind of money on really anything at that time, let alone a watch , and he even would say it was fake to all that would ask, again something I also never understood. He still has this same watch, obviously now I understand the point, and understand the meaning, and also one day the value of passing that watch down to one of his sons.

Now for me, I also always wore a watch, even in the cellphone era, but a Bulova, a Tag, and never considered spending money on say a Rolex. I think I was reading in a magazine, and came across an article about high end watches, and something just clicked. I could afford a Rolex now, but started with a Panerai, dress watch (PAM01392) and quickly thereafter got a Panerai dive watch, but always looking at Rolex the whole time, felt it was matter of time that I got one. Of course I ended up getting one, a beautiful 5513 that I just love, enjoy every time I wear it, the look or glow of the hands when looked at at angle through the acrylic glass, but not a daily watch for some reason. So I go on down the line, and enjoy reading on this forum, and watching review videos, etc. I acquire a number of Rolex watches, and start just rotating watches whenever I felt like a change, but likely wear them all at some point, so just enjoyed the diversity, the sub, the Datejust, explorer I,II, old 6694s, air kings, etc.

I think about a year ago I got a 16610 at a great price, it had a small chip on the glass, which may be replacement glass, but hardly noticeable damage, tritium dial, some wear to the ring from prior polish, but my point is not perfect specimen, but still nice watch. The band it came with was rubber, I replaced with a distressed brown leather band from Hodinkee, which I liked very much, but still rotated all my watches.

Just about two weeks ago I changed to a alligator leather band from Everest, and there was some weird transformation in the watch, or me, just not sure, but hasn't left my wrist. Maybe this will all pass, but I remember someone writing on the forum about just putting on a watch and forgetting about it, and this is sort of what happened. I likely have what one would call better watches, more value, better quality. This watch doesn't have papers, or any history, but I guess Im making my own history with it. I'm not terrified if I scratch it, but of course will take care of it, but I'm just amazed that I have gotten to this point. Not sure if this means I will stop looking for and possibly buying more watches, but nice to pause for a time, just enjoy a watch.

Just wonder if anyone has a similar story, would be interested in reading the other experiences members of this forum have had in this regard.

Please have a wonderful weekend

I went the other way. Bought a 16700 on 1994 and wore it everyday, every vacation, every workday etc for 20+years. Never took it off but for one service. Pic attached. I now wear a different watch almost every day, sometimes change watches in a day, different occasion, etc. love the variety.

GGGMT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 04:00 AM   #16
Sub737
"TRF" Member

beautiful watch, someday maybe I'll own GMT, suspect its one of those watches that are easy to enjoy
Old 30 November 2020, 05:03 AM   #17
SeeDweller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 5212 (blasphemy!)
Indeed, I LOVE the sentiment in your OP, for sure.

I also have many watches, but my first "Daily Wearer" was a 16710, an '04 Pepsi GMT that I bought without the Full Set that I really like to see when I buy these days. And, like you . . . I keep coming back to wearing that watch, BECAUSE I don't ever think about it being on my wrist - - it's just a friend that hangs out with me, and we take on the world together, so we don't have to talk between ourselves too much - - - we take the relationship for granted a bit, but in a loving way.

I keep that GMT on for virtually ANY activity - - watersports, gardening, woodshop, travel, ... or going to a fancy wine-taste in a sport-coat. It's accepted, and respected, everywhere. And my son (who's been eye'ing my entire collection for many years now) once said that the GMT is the one that he considers "MY" watch.

Funny how that happened without my trying to make it so...

P.S. Yes, the TRF group is an amazing collection of very fine folks. There'll be a malcontent here or there, but as a whole - - becoming involved in this forum will be a wise choice for you. So, get a few more posts in, and jump on board. There's lots of little secret places, too! Look forward to seeing more of your collection, and hearing more of your thoughts, amigo!
'21 116506 (Daytona, Blue dial)..|..... '22 116508 (Daytona, Green dial)
'21 126619LB (Submariner, Blue) ...|... '20 126710-BLNR (GMT-II, Batgirl)

.... and still trying to scratch that itch!.....
SeeDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 06:22 AM   #18
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
Zapokee, I come from a long line of mental case collectors. My grandfather always tried to sell 2 nice things and use the cash to buy one exceptional. It was his strategy to collecting and I’ve done it at times. It’s the best way to maximize quality and in the end it should give the best return on investment. In many contexts; real estate, art, cars, etc, if you have that one truly scarce item, you gain the ability to set the market due to the quality and rarity.
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 07:04 AM   #19
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
Although my experience is kind of opposite I fully feel the sentiment. I started with my 16750 for probably 15 years before adding more watches. I rotate them weekly now, but at the end of each week when I’m about to swap them, I sort of reach a point of admiration and I really don’t want to swap watches for the next week. Then at the end of the following week it happens again with whichever watch I’m wearing.

Out of my 3 for some reason I’ve come to really enjoy and admire my 16600 lately out of the bunch, something is perfect and simple with it, it’s just such a classic design. It’s the one I really feel the most is an everyday every occasion sort of watch.

Once I give these 3 to my kids down the road I really think I’ll search out another 16600 a little older with lug holes no box no papers just wear and beat daily and enjoy.
Old 30 November 2020, 09:05 AM   #20
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
Zapokee, I come from a long line of mental case collectors. My grandfather always tried to sell 2 nice things and use the cash to buy one exceptional. It was his strategy to collecting and I’ve done it at times. It’s the best way to maximize quality and in the end it should give the best return on investment. In many contexts; real estate, art, cars, etc, if you have that one truly scarce item, you gain the ability to set the market due to the quality and rarity.
That's brilliant. I'm going to start doing that. Need to trim the collection.
Old 30 November 2020, 12:10 PM   #21
Filipćo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
That's brilliant. I'm going to start doing that. Need to trim the collection.
Any late white gold surr 5513 without a cracked dial?
Old 30 November 2020, 02:12 PM   #22
benbradstock
"TRF" Member

I purchased a 14060 a year ago (T25, box and papers) and I find it to be an unimpeachable design, the watch which has yet to be unseated as the favorite in my collection.

benbradstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 06:34 PM   #23
Sub737
"TRF" Member

Agree, great watch, just something about the two line sub, clean, classic, timeless. Funny, this morning I feel like possibly breaking out another Rolex, and not anything at all against my 16610 at all, but just miss the others? Ridiculous? Was going through one of the "club" threads, Explorer 1, and thought maybe would be nice to wear my 14270. This forum is great, you can read stories about all the watches, get inspired, and just move about and enjoy watches. Strangely satisfying, nice way to start the day.
Old 30 November 2020, 06:54 PM   #24
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipćo View Post
Any late white gold surr 5513 without a cracked dial?
The late 5513 with the white gold surrounds on the plots is a lovely watch, but too late for my vintage tastes. And the dial will spider sooner or later...
Old 12 December 2020, 06:45 PM   #25
Sub737
"TRF" Member

Update, still enjoying, great place to be, simplifies everything, fantastic watch, look at it throughout the day, glad to have the chance to own this watch. Did wear a Panerai 312 on a red Corrigia leather strap, and another day a 16613 Bluesy, both beautiful watches, but just went back to what may now just be the "old" standard, the comfortable shoe, the beat up sweater/sweatshirt. Its a great place, hope others find this space. Have a fantastic and safe weekend everyone.
Old 13 December 2020, 08:48 AM   #26
samandglove1
"TRF" Member

I have had the same 16610 on my wrist for almost 20 years straight, other than a couple of service trips. I'm going to move to something just as long lasting when I hit the official 20 year point. My son gets the 16610 and a new adventure starts for me.
samandglove1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2020, 12:49 PM   #27
Sub737
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samandglove1 View Post
I have had the same 16610 on my wrist for almost 20 years straight, other than a couple of service trips. I'm going to move to something just as long lasting when I hit the official 20 year point. My son gets the 16610 and a new adventure starts for me.
This is the best, exactly what I was talking about, congratulations on when you get to that 20 year mark, and best of luck with the new watch! Hope you let us all know, send some pictures of the 16610, and the new selection. Thanks for sharing.
Old 14 December 2020, 02:30 AM   #28
platowilliams
"TRF" Member

I haven't found that watch that I never want to take off yet. you've really given me something to look forward to. very well stated
platowilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2020, 09:06 AM   #29
wombat125
"TRF" Member

Well, i must admitt that quite recently I got hold of my first Rolex, a Meters First 5513. I used to stick to special occassions for any of the little "vintage collection", but since getting the 5513 it has hardly left my wrist, its a joy to wear every day, its light, compact, discrete.
My own little secret guilty pleasure :-)
wombat125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2021, 06:26 PM   #30
polarinda
"TRF" Member

Watch: it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipćo View Post
Nothing beats a daily beater.
except Daily himself
polarinda is offline   Reply With Quote