The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 December 2020, 06:19 AM   #121
astewartconst
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
It's one thing to refine a line of watches. It's fine to collaborate. It's fine to honor history.

What is not fine is telling customers of your very expensive watches that they are purchasing a limited run. Then, to turn around three years later and make essentially a carbon copy of that watch.

I agree, it would be really frustrating to me had I purchased the 2017 model. Good news though is maybe Blancpain will realize that people prefer the Hodinkee Bathy and Milspec and further dilute things by making the desirable variations into production models

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
astewartconst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 06:44 AM   #122
Rexplorer214270
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO;PP5230G
Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
It's one thing to refine a line of watches. It's fine to collaborate. It's fine to honor history.

What is not fine is telling customers of your very expensive watches that they are purchasing a limited run. Then, to turn around three years later and make essentially a carbon copy of that watch.
Dude your handle is Speedmaster, Omega basically comes out with a limited run Speedy every 5 mins. Your complaint has zero merit.
Rexplorer214270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 06:44 AM   #123
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

Can they do better with the strap? For the price please include something more than a nato..
EdwardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 07:11 AM   #124
MzHammer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
Just got my FedEx Notice, should arrive tomorrow
MzHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 07:11 AM   #125
kritameth
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardC View Post
Can they do better with the strap? For the price please include something more than a nato..
+1. Probably my biggest complaint of the piece. IIRC the Hodinkee Bathy got 3 straps.
kritameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 07:12 AM   #126
kritameth
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzHammer View Post
Just got my FedEx Notice, should arrive tomorrow
So much for end of December Congrats! Looking forward to seeing some pictures.
Old 16 December 2020, 07:36 AM   #127
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexplorer214270 View Post
Dude your handle is Speedmaster, Omega basically comes out with a limited run Speedy every 5 mins. Your complaint has zero merit.
I'm not lamenting the number of limited editions. My complaint went right over your head. Try poking holes again.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 08:29 AM   #128
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaye View Post
After looking at the new one from every angle I'd take the 2017, remove the plaque and make it a no date. I think the dial and bezel are FAR superior on the 2017, but there is no getting away from how cool a no date is. Maybe for the next LE (BP is probably going to ride this horse into the ground), maybe they will do the combined approach.

Bracelets are about 2500 bucks new. X71. 20mm lug width (they also make a 23mm).
I too like the dial and bezel of the 2017 release but I agree that no date is the way to go with a diver, especially this one. Who knows what Blancpain will do in the future. Maybe they will realize that there are a lot of enthusiasts out there who don't want 45mm dive watches with dates.

Thanks for the information on the bracelet. I would have preferred the watch come with a bracelet as well as including the sailcloth and the NATO, even if it would have raised the price to $16,500. If they didn't want to go the bracelet route, they should have at least included the sailcloth strap as well.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 08:47 AM   #129
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldGentaFan View Post
Great job Hodinkee. Just bought my first Blancpain. Finally a perfect FF.

I feel somewhat sorry for those who bought the 2017 version as this one is clearly nicer imo, but I doubt values will plummet.

Niceness is subjective - there is nothing so absolute about any watch. It's not clearly nicer, but nicer to you. There are elements of the 2017 that are nicer in my eyes than this Hodinkee collaboration, and there are elements on this watch that are nicer than that earlier watch.
arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 09:10 AM   #130
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

I think it’s a fantastic release and was able to get one in time.
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 09:17 AM   #131
epicurus
"TRF" Member

I just missed it. If anyone doesnt love it and would be looking to sell, lmk! Thanks!
epicurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 09:19 AM   #132
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

It was in my basket, but I didn’t love it so I didn’t pull the trigger.
mongrelnomoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 09:28 AM   #133
WatchOut4It
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post

Same. I may regret the decision but wasn’t loving it as much as I had hoped. Figured it was best to step aside and let someone else who really wanted it make the buy.

The good news is that there will be future LEs to choose from... It’s guaranteed, right? ;-)
WatchOut4It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 09:29 AM   #134
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceramic1 View Post

MUCH prefer this version
denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 09:32 AM   #135
ROLEXROLEXROLEXRO
"TRF" Member

I'm a reader of few posts here...but I'll use a post for this.

I find it funny some are upset because the brand released another iteration of their most enduring design. It's just delusional to think any brand would never rerelease another LE of similar design especially a model that defines the brand. That LE you bought is just LE until the next LE. If you want more exclusivity, move upmarket and get your pieces at auctions.
ROLEXROLEXROLEXRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 09:43 AM   #136
stormshadow
2024 Pledge Member

Blancpain x HODINKEE

Basically this.

I think BP is a WIS brand. Folks know the value and history packed into these pieces outside the hype. Most WIS would be able to tell them apart if they were side by side.

Both are fantastic pieces, and I am sure there are more as this is definitely a loved BP model.

That said, I am waiting for a new “no radiations” model so I can have a chance to own another tribute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLEXROLEXROLEXRO View Post

I find it funny some are upset because the brand released another iteration of their most enduring design. It's just delusional to think any brand would never rerelease another LE of similar design especially a model that defines the brand. That LE you bought is just LE until the next LE. If you want more exclusivity, move upmarket and get your pieces at auctions.
stormshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 09:53 AM   #137
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLEXROLEXROLEXRO View Post

Delusion is thinking a company should honor a LE watch for me than 3 years? Guess I'm not as jaded as you.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 10:04 AM   #138
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by denmanproject View Post
MUCH prefer this version
After reflecting on it so do I. I'm super happy for everyone who got the new one, but the dial and bezel are so much better (my opinion) on the 2017. I mean MUCH better. So yeah, no date. Cool. Glad for those who got it. I'll keep mine happily. Everyone is happy I suppose. Well, I'm not happy with BP, but they could care less about one collector.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 10:29 AM   #139
kritameth
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaye View Post
After reflecting on it so do I. I'm super happy for everyone who got the new one, but the dial and bezel are so much better (my opinion) on the 2017. I mean MUCH better. So yeah, no date. Cool. Glad for those who got it. I'll keep mine happily. Everyone is happy I suppose. Well, I'm not happy with BP, but they could care less about one collector.
I don't know about much MUCH better. ;) I think I prefer the glossy dial, polished handset, diamond bezel pip, more domed bezel, and bezel knurling of the Tribute. 50/50 on the 0-15 bezel markings. I prefer the 2-liner text, no-date, and font of the Arabics on the bezel. Really 2 different beasts at the 'macro' level, equally charming in their own ways.
Old 16 December 2020, 10:35 AM   #140
woowoo
Banned

Call me practical but I like the date on the original. It's subtle and matches the dial and is useful. Getting rid of the writing on the side is an improvement.

Reminder and lesson to all watch collectors: Never assume or believe any watch is truly limited or won't be re-released soon. Likewise there will always be another "limited edition" something coming out. Buy watches you like regardless of whether they are limited or not.
woowoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 11:09 AM   #141
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardC View Post
Ho' took a bit of Pimpin' VIG, price would be higher with a high-quality strap. Of course I bet Dink knows a website watch retailer where you can buy a good strap
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 11:13 AM   #142
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Blancpain x HODINKEE

I could make a case for either. I put three things at the forefront of any purchase in this exact order

1- aesthetics

2- comfort

3- History

2,3 are exactly the same. I prefer the bezel/no date on the hodinkee for symmetry. I prefer the dial on the 2017 because sunburst ftw
Old 16 December 2020, 12:08 PM   #143
NardinNut
2024 Pledge Member

Snagged one from the LV boutique. As much as I dislike a lot of Hondink collaborations, they nailed this one IMO. Love the no date and the removal of BP on case side. Wish they did it on a bracelet but overall I think it’s great.
NardinNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 12:51 PM   #144
stockae92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
Same here. Only if it comes with a bracelet and a NATO strap ...

Not that I hate the watch nor the price, just didn't like it enough for me.

Congrats to the people who bought one.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 01:10 PM   #145
psv
"TRF" Member

I had high hopes but I came to my senses.

It is another vanity project from Hodinkee. The made $3.6M in sales in less than 5 min. At 15K (w taxes) I would like to have a bracelet and sailcloth strap, not some $25 nylon strap. And I DON'T want Hodinkee written over my rotor. And somehow, $15K for a military watch that is supposed to an utilitarian instrument... I passed. I did love the no date, the 40mm size, the brushed case without Blancpain written on the side, the drilled lugs... it was close. But I'm not dropping $15K on an "almost watch".

I do understand the attraction. Many people have too much cash, they cannot get a 5711 or Jumbo, regardless of the size of their bank account, so this is not a bad piece - at half the price.

But I'm still flabbergasted that Blancpain cannot release something like this without the stupid Hodinkee connection. The must surely know that this is what the audience want - 40mm, no date, brushed case, etc - preferably in a non-limited edition. Price this at $11,500 on a nylon strap - sans mil-spec item on the dial - and you'll have a wait-list for years. How hard can it be???
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 01:11 PM   #146
kritameth
"TRF" Member

Thinking about asking the boutique to swap the BP Nato for a BP sailcloth w/ leather lining. Yay or nay?
Old 16 December 2020, 01:27 PM   #147
clew84
"TRF" Member

Watch: me soar
An alternate tropic or sailcloth strap makes a lot of sense for this one. Should have been included.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Autodromo Prototipo
clew84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 01:40 PM   #148
WatchOut4It
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritameth View Post
Thinking about asking the boutique to swap the BP Nato for a BP sailcloth w/ leather lining. Yay or nay?

Assuming the NATO/Sailcloth is the same material and quality as found on a Bathyscaphe, then 100%. I love the BP sailcloth. Soooooooo comfortable.
WatchOut4It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 02:30 PM   #149
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by kritameth View Post
First thing I did was ask the boutique if I could order a sailcloth.

Then again I find myself in these blancpain threads constantly. Hell I think I started the one in 2017 for the OG and then cancelled my order lol my track record is hot garbage.
Old 16 December 2020, 03:05 PM   #150
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Seth, what did the boutique say about the sailcloth? I'd like to throw mine on an olive sailcloth or olive anything for that matter. Just not sure if the lug width is smaller than the bigger FF.

Time to go rummage through some strap boxes to find what sort of BP extras I've forgotten about over the years!
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote