Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2021, 04:50 AM   #62
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Or bright red.

I have severe Odysseus envy...Lange should be consulting you on how to wear this watch
Old 15 February 2021, 04:55 AM   #63
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlcp View Post
I recently starts looking at ALS Odysseus after been rejected few times by Rolex and PP. like to Odysseus day date function which is really practical.

How is the supply and demand of rubber/leather strap Odysseus? Is it easy to buy, what is the waiting time? Do I need to pay premium to own this watch? I see the price is like 20% higher than retail in Chrono24.
I assume you mean the White Gold version?

I don’t know this with certainty, but I believe most ADs are only allocating these to repeat customers. That’s most definitely the case with the Steel model.

You could always ask and see what happens. Given what I see on C24 my guess is those are there to see who will pull the trigger (i.e., the AD sells them outside of the normal sales channel where they are “not available”).

The White Gold on rubber is a really cool watch and has a lot going for it. However, I didn’t ask for an allocation because 1) White Gold on a sports watch isn’t the most practical IMO, and 2) I want the blue dial and just replace the steel bracelet.
Old 15 February 2021, 05:27 AM   #64
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
I assume you mean the White Gold version?

I don’t know this with certainty, but I believe most ADs are only allocating these to repeat customers. That’s most definitely the case with the Steel model.

You could always ask and see what happens. Given what I see on C24 my guess is those are there to see who will pull the trigger (i.e., the AD sells them outside of the normal sales channel where they are “not available”).

The White Gold on rubber is a really cool watch and has a lot going for it. However, I didn’t ask for an allocation because 1) White Gold on a sports watch isn’t the most practical IMO, and 2) I want the blue dial and just replace the steel bracelet.
The white gold model is easy to get, I don't think there's any allocation process and you are 100% correct about the SS model. It seems to vary quite a bit by country. I know of some guys who have owned a few $$$ Lange models and were denied but I was able to get one without having owned much Lange relative to them. Seems particularly hard for anyone in HK, SG, etc..
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2021, 06:13 AM   #65
Lo100169
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Or bright red.

this looks really great. Do you know if the white gold version can be modified the same way? I remember seeing somewhere that the case/bracelet assembly was different to the steel model. Or is it the steel model with bracelet that cannot accommodate the lange rubber? Do they all have standard lug holes? Kind regards, Laurent
Lo100169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2021, 08:28 AM   #66
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Or bright red.

AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2021, 08:49 AM   #67
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo100169 View Post
this looks really great. Do you know if the white gold version can be modified the same way? I remember seeing somewhere that the case/bracelet assembly was different to the steel model. Or is it the steel model with bracelet that cannot accommodate the lange rubber? Do they all have standard lug holes? Kind regards, Laurent

I’m not sure on the WG lug fitment, the SS version has standard 20mm lugs.

Old 15 February 2021, 11:20 PM   #68
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
ALS Odysseus Steel model is impossible to acquire if you aren't VIP customers. PM model can be acquired with some wait time.

Steel model is asking for more than double msrp at Grey dealers.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Seiko: SRPA21, MontBlanc: 109996"
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2021, 12:03 AM   #69
Lo100169
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzsiam View Post
ALS Odysseus Steel model is impossible to acquire if you aren't VIP customers. PM model can be acquired with some wait time.

Steel model is asking for more than double msrp at Grey dealers.
therefor my question about the aftermarket strap modification being possible or not for the white gold model....
Old 16 February 2021, 12:14 AM   #70
fullofboats
"TRF" Member

Aftermarket straps are possible for any watch. The straps from Russell are all aftermarket. The steel only comes on bracelet and the OEM rubber/leather straps for the WG apparently will not fit on the steel.
fullofboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2021, 12:52 AM   #71
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofboats View Post
Aftermarket straps are possible for any watch. The straps from Russell are all aftermarket. The steel only comes on bracelet and the OEM rubber/leather straps for the WG apparently will not fit on the steel.
Does this suggest the WG pieces have something other than standard lugs and pin bar holes?
Old 16 February 2021, 01:03 AM   #72
fullofboats
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Does this suggest the WG pieces have something other than standard lugs and pin bar holes?
No clue. The boutique didn't really explain why, just that the straps aren't interchangeable, which is somewhat of a dick move on ALS' part.
Old 16 February 2021, 05:08 AM   #73
Lo100169
"TRF" Member

you mean that on the WG you cannot swap easily between leader and rubber? I don't see the springbar from under the watch, so hard to say how the bracelet/endlink fits to the case... the steel one is straight forward, I prefer that by far.
Old 16 February 2021, 07:56 AM   #74
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

I have the WG Ody and was told that I should be expecting the leather strap soon (mine came with rubber). I'm assuming that means they're interchangeable...

At least, I hope!
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2021, 08:14 AM   #75
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

The best way to describe it, there's a fixed shaped endlink on the WG Odysseus, not dissimilar to how AP do it on leather strap versions of the Royal Oak. There are two protrusions, around which the straps are specifically shaped. This is held in with a pin (as opposed to a spring bar), which can be released by a small button on the underside, using the same system as for adjusting the links on the SS version. Makes it pretty easy to do, I'd describe it as semi quick-release.

Whilst the leather and rubber straps are interchangeable on the WG version, they wouldn't fit properly on the stainless steel model. By the same token, a traditional straight end strap would not fit on the WG version.

Chris
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2021, 07:51 PM   #76
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMT Master View Post
The best way to describe it, there's a fixed shaped endlink on the WG Odysseus, not dissimilar to how AP do it on leather strap versions of the Royal Oak. There are two protrusions, around which the straps are specifically shaped. This is held in with a pin (as opposed to a spring bar), which can be released by a small button on the underside, using the same system as for adjusting the links on the SS version. Makes it pretty easy to do, I'd describe it as semi quick-release.

Whilst the leather and rubber straps are interchangeable on the WG version, they wouldn't fit properly on the stainless steel model. By the same token, a traditional straight end strap would not fit on the WG version.

Chris
Great info Chris.
Old 17 February 2021, 03:29 AM   #77
Lo100169
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Great info Chris.
yes indeed, thank you very much.
Old 17 February 2021, 01:00 PM   #78
NeedMoreCoffee
"TRF" Member

Curious if anyone here tried getting a discount from an AD recently? I was given a firm no and zero wiggle room.

I'm guessing it's more of a Lange policy, trying to prop up prices.
NeedMoreCoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2021, 01:01 PM   #79
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedMoreCoffee View Post
Curious if anyone here tried getting a discount from an AD recently? I was given a firm no and zero wiggle room.

12% on an in stock model. Wouldn't budge to 15%.
Old 17 February 2021, 01:52 PM   #80
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I'm curious, what specific reference numbers were you asking about? And were you asking about watches that were already sitting in the dealer's display case, or would the dealer have to order them for you?
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2021, 02:34 PM   #81
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I’ve been told that Lange boutiques have stopped discounts. I am not sure if that applies evenly to all customers, but they are most definitely harder to come by.

ADs I think I’ve seen some other posts on here suggesting you can still get 10 to 15%, but I don’t have any personal experience.

Personally, I think this is going to be a tough sell because the fact remains Lange’s still lag in the secondary market. Of course, if Lange starts getting even half of the attention of something like Journe this will change overnight.

But for now, if you look on C24 you might believe prices have firmed. But, that’s an illusion. Try selling a Lange to somebody like WatchBox, European, or one of the other larger dealers. You’ll see what I mean.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 17 February 2021, 03:16 PM   #82
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudsun View Post
Hi all

I am possibly looking to add another watch in my collection, and after looking in this forum, came to admire the A. Lange & Sohne watches. I have looked at the buy/sell forum here and a few websites just for research purpose. What are some websites you guys visit for 2nd hand watches?

Thank you all for your input!
If you are buying pre-own, make sure you factor in service cost into the overall pricing if it's an old watch, which can be expensive. My Datograph was recently hit with an estimate USD5K servicing and repair cost bill due to the unscrupulous dealer which I bought the watch from actually sent it to a 3rd party watchmaker to fix the watch before selling it to me ( and without informing me prior sales )
Old 17 February 2021, 03:47 PM   #83
NeedMoreCoffee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
I’ve been told that Lange boutiques have stopped discounts. I am not sure if that applies evenly to all customers, but they are most definitely harder to come by.

ADs I think I’ve seen some other posts on here suggesting you can still get 10 to 15%, but I don’t have any personal experience.

Personally, I think this is going to be a tough sell because the fact remains Lange’s still lag in the secondary market. Of course, if Lange starts getting even half of the attention of something like Journe this will change overnight.

But for now, if you look on C24 you might believe prices have firmed. But, that’s an illusion. Try selling a Lange to somebody like WatchBox, European, or one of the other larger dealers. You’ll see what I mean.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Good insight, thank you. I don't buy watches for resale/future value but I do want to ensure I can't/won't find it somewhere else 30% cheaper a few weeks later, which seems to be the case with the Lange secondhand/grey market still.
NeedMoreCoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2021, 03:57 PM   #84
fullofboats
"TRF" Member

Boutiques won't discount at all, but ADs will vary. I've been told anywhere 5-10% discount on the full catalogue (ex. Ody obv) as an initial starting point. I think if I were ready to buy on the spot 15% is doable.

This is quite different to two years ago when ADs started by offering 20% off.
Old 18 February 2021, 04:56 AM   #85
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Good insight, thank you. I don't buy watches for resale/future value but I do want to ensure I can't/won't find it somewhere else 30% cheaper a few weeks later, which seems to be the case with the Lange secondhand/grey market still.
What specific reference numbers are you looking for? That can matter a lot.
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2021, 05:51 AM   #86
mario1971
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
For me no freaking way, pay slightly more and get a full set, they don't make too many of these watches, you want the "perfect" one if you want to keep it and plan to pass it down to your son. It took you a long time to save up for one, do it the right way and have that peace of mind and warranty coverage without any headaches.
This is the correct approach to the subject.
Old 18 February 2021, 02:11 PM   #87
deezee
Banned

I have been looking for the moon phase as well second hand but non to be found. I'm looking for the 192.032
deezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2021, 03:32 PM   #88
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezee View Post
I have been looking for the moon phase as well second hand but non to be found. I'm looking for the 192.032

I definitely feel there are fewer Langes out there. But I have no statistical evidence and basically say this based only what I see on C24 and the dealers I follow.

I think many ADs have stopped selling direct to dealers because there are more customers going through the retail channel and discounts have moderated. But I think the big factor might be that several dealers are holding their Lange models back in anticipation of higher demand and higher prices. In general, dealers pay crap for Langes so they can absolutely afford to buy and hold.

There’s zero doubt that some of the big players (i.e., WatchBox) are trying to hype Lange and repeat what has occurred with FPJ. We will see what happens...
Old 18 February 2021, 04:13 PM   #89
jtli202
"TRF" Member

I dealt with EWC and can say that their trade values are very fair. I also know some other people who deal with them and have great things to say.

Agree with the poster above that the big secondary market dealers are definitely pumping up Lange. Practically every Watchbox Weekly Market wrap video talks about Lange now. The pricing increases haven't really surprised me though.. everything is going up.
jtli202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2021, 04:16 PM   #90
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Also, Lange got hit hard with a 50% production reduction last year due to the pandemic. That's pretty harsh.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote