The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 23 March 2021, 03:42 AM   #1
genta
"TRF" Member

Show us your spiders!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
genta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2021, 03:46 AM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Apt name for what in the real world is a damaged dial by pigment fault cracking in the paint.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2021, 03:50 AM   #3
Daveclock
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing and waiting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Apt name for what in the real world is a damaged dial by pigment fault cracking in the paint.
Yes, but Padi these are coveted by many and highly prized, as most would have been replaced under guarantee by Rolex as they had this fault before such things were collected/appreciated.
Not me with my OCD tendencies it would really annoy!
Daveclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2021, 03:50 AM   #4
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner
SeaDweller50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2021, 03:52 AM   #5
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
cool dials !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2021, 03:52 AM   #6
genta
"TRF" Member

Quote:

fortunately, i'm not living in the dull real world:)

Old 23 March 2021, 03:58 AM   #7
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDweller50 View Post
Doh,........ Beat me to it....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bird eating spider.jpg (39.6 KB, 688 views)
Smiths W10 1968
Tissot Seastar 2011
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2021, 04:02 AM   #8
genta
"TRF" Member

Show us your spiders!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
cool dials !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

spider dials are like chameleons, from damaged to not in a second depending on the light

Old 23 March 2021, 04:03 AM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveclock View Post
Yes, but Padi these are coveted by many and highly prized, as most would have been replaced under guarantee by Rolex as they had this fault before such things were collected/appreciated.
Well they may be highly priced by some but most certainly not with me, with many of todays Rolex owners the smallest mark seen on a dial under 30X magnification would make them have a heart attack .But each to there own not my cup of tea on any Rolex watch, and today many of these defect dial are artificially created now that some pay money for them.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2021, 04:05 AM   #10
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Sorry, but I neither covet nor prize such deterioration in a watch
Old 23 March 2021, 04:06 AM   #11
genta
"TRF" Member

Show us your spiders!

Quote:
Well they may be highly priced by some but most certainly not with me, with many of todays Rolex owners the smallest mark seen on a dial under 30X magnification would make them have a heart attack .But each to there own not my cup of tea on any Rolex watch

the 5513 was priced low due to the dial and lume dot - i like variety in my collection
(16750 is sold)

Old 23 March 2021, 04:25 AM   #12
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
I love it. Such a unique fault, in todays world of fifty million loop magnification ocd thread starting Rolex enthusiast, such a mistake in paint pigment would have Rolex staring at a class action civil law suit from families who lost a loved from their heads literally exploding at seeing this.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2021, 04:38 AM   #13
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Jeebus. Those are interesting cracks.
However - if mine, I would replace it with a good dial.
No collector value there for me.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2021, 04:41 AM   #14
genta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
I love it. Such a unique fault, in todays world of fifty million loop magnification ocd thread starting Rolex enthusiast, such a mistake in paint pigment would have Rolex staring at a class action civil law suit from families who lost a loved from their heads literally exploding at seeing this.

Amen!

Old 24 March 2021, 05:56 PM   #15
JasonBetts
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by genta View Post
spider dials are like chameleons, from damaged to not in a second depending on the light
I once thought that spider dial is only a hype, until I own one. I now understand why it's unique, as OP said, sometimes you see it, sometimes you don't

JasonBetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2021, 09:29 PM   #16
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by genta View Post

Wow!
Old 25 March 2021, 01:59 AM   #17
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
Very cool. I find these very appealing

Can you guys see the dial changing over time; like more cracks developing? Any particles loose under the crystal?
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2021, 02:42 AM   #18
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
[QUOTE=JasonBetts;11337105]I once thought that spider dial is only a hype, until I own one. I now understand why it's unique, as OP said, sometimes you see it, sometimes you don't

----------------------------------------------------------------

They are unique in their own special way - that is for sure. Not everyone is fortunate enough to own a watch with one of these damaged dials. I guess that the substantially lower, entry prices for these defective dial models has something to do with the attraction for collectors.

Sorry, but for me, I prefer the real McCoy - a true genuine "spider dial" vs a GMT poser, both which are depicted below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dsc02363.sm.jpg (177.6 KB, 401 views)
File Type: jpg 20161023_185947.sm.jpg (96.4 KB, 399 views)

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2021, 01:30 PM   #19
JasonBetts
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post

Sorry, but for me, I prefer the real McCoy - a true genuine "spider dial" vs a GMT poser, both which are depicted below.
JP, your collections never failed to amaze me. Hope that real McCoy is not poisonous

As one poster asked above, I'm also curious to know if spider dial can actually flake further until it's falling apart?

Old 25 March 2021, 03:37 PM   #20
richydave99
Banned

I will love to see this in flesh.
richydave99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2021, 05:19 PM   #21
1watch
"TRF" Member

These are not desired compared to an authentic and undamaged dial.

1watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2021, 10:52 PM   #22
bfisher690
"TRF" Member

Just my two cents:

I've collected guitars for 30 years. Fender, Martin, and Gibson did not like their finishes to crack (craze). In the 60's, they started to add more and more plasticizer to the finish to make it more flexible so it wouldn't crack. Modern guitars will always look new. I really don't like that at all. To some, that thicker more plastic-like finish has no soul. Some people (the minority) prefer it. Same with modern Rolex. They'll always look new...

If you like old guitars from the 50's and before, this finish fault is like home to you. Almost all have it. Some look cooler than others. The "relic" guitar craze that has been raging for years speaks to their desirability and why people chase vintage.

With Rolex, the watches do different things in different eras. If you love Rolex, those things are what make them interesting. You have "stardust", "tropical" dials, "spider" dials and so on. Why some think a dial that fades to brown is a "feature" and it's "natural" and others think spider dials are "broken" and "defective" is beyond me. It also seems like snobbery. There is a place for all of us here ; ) You love your insert that has ghosted (faded). You love your dial that has lost its pigment. But, you hate his dial that has lacquer crazing. It's funny.

Rolex wanted them to look perfect and stay the way they were manufactured. That's why they make them new at service. So, if your watch has changed, it's a flaw in Rolex's eyes. That's just a fact. Whether you like the fault, that's up to you.

So, if you like the mid-80's to 1990 Rolex sport models, you may be into "spider" dials because that's what many did. They probably didn't have the lacquer formulation right. Big deal.

I think they look cool as hell. Some people don't like them. But they are "period correct". If I'm looking at a watch from this period, I look for the spider...

What I don't get it some people's anger about this phenomena. Maybe it's that dealers have tried to charge a premium? Anyway, I don't see these as bringing a premium but I certainly don't think they devalue a watch. And, the numbers are shrinking as so many get switched out in service. I've never seen one flake off. Either has LAWW. So, its a cool look if you like character.

Anyway, just an observation.

Have. great weekend.

Brian
bfisher690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 06:33 AM   #23
1watch
"TRF" Member

Collectors like what they like and sometimes there isn't logic to what has more value. While true tropical dials are technically damage to the dial pigment, they appeal to many collectors and why they often go for a premium.

You could say the same about lacquer crazing. On one hand it is a sign of authenticity which is good. My view is more collectors find the look less desirable than a clean and original dial. I personally see them selling at a reduction to a clean original dial, just as an earlier gilt with crazed lacquer would be valued less than a like reference in similar condition, but with an honest, non-crazed dial. Period correct is important and what is considered eye-pleasing condition to the majority of collectors along with correctness goes for a premium.
1watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 12:49 PM   #24
bfisher690
"TRF" Member

Yes. Totally agree. With guitars, mint and original is king. Played and she’s still has a lot of value. I remember when tropical dials were not coined tropical. They were damaged.

Spider dials are found in the newest vintage pieces. Just wait ; )

But, frankly, it’s what you like...
Old 27 March 2021, 02:06 PM   #25
JasonBetts
"TRF" Member

I've come to a point where stuffs that look the same doesn't excite me anymore.

Old 28 March 2021, 12:38 AM   #26
Flexjet
"TRF" Member

Have a 5513 spider dial,
Well its for sure an abnoramlity but somehow funny to wear and looking different under differrent angles.
My only concern, technically speaking, is whether to know how this degradation is going to progress over years.
Same aspect as tropical dials and time concern.
Flexjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2021, 08:36 AM   #27
bfisher690
"TRF" Member

Guitars with crazing do it initially and remain the same because the tension has been broken. It moved and released. Shouldn’t change any more.
Old 28 March 2021, 09:44 AM   #28
Paulie 50
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveclock View Post
I agree, it would bother me greatly; I wonder why some people who try to cover over the cracks in the argument ( sorry, couldn't help the pun. �� ) look down their noses at service dials? Just a thought. Stay safe.
Paulie 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2021, 12:21 PM   #29
dbhak22
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ♛
A few from my archives (all have been let go)...the first 16750 I bought had a scratched up crystal and I didn't even know it had a spider dial until polishing the crystal up! It really is hidden until the light hits it just right.

Old 28 March 2021, 01:19 PM   #30
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I've never owned one of these, but I am appreciating the photos of these interesting and unique dials. I also really like the fact that the owners are following their own tastes, instead of blindly listening to "elite" collectors who want to tell them that their watches are inferior and would like to control what people should appreciate and value. Sorry, it doesn't work that way, watch-snobs. People like what they like.

I love to see people wearing the watches that give them joy, as opposed to the watches that they are told they should like. This thread was clearly started as a celebration of these dials, and I have no idea why some people feel it's appropriate to crap on the thread with their critical and unsolicited comments. If you don't like them, you don't have to look. Nobody asked your opinion. Feel free to start your own thread about how you hate spider dials.