The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 27 March 2021, 04:00 AM   #1
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Assorted!
Patek changes Archive Extract policy

Just saw this article. Shocker price of CHF 500 to provide an extract from the archives.

Business News: Patek Philippe Is Changing The Way It Issues Extracts From The Archives

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/pa...m-the-archives

Damn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alpharulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 04:14 AM   #2
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpharulez View Post
Just saw this article. Shocker price of CHF 500 to provide an extract from the archives.

Business News: Patek Philippe Is Changing The Way It Issues Extracts From The Archives

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/pa...m-the-archives

Damn!

I’m sure this is as a result of a huge increase in demand from grey dealers.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 04:19 AM   #3
HMHM
"TRF" Member

This is the first change I see from a watch manufacturer that is actually anti-flipping. I don’t see why a new watch with box and papers need an extract from the archive. For older watches yes. Compared to the BS that Rolex did by removing the name of the buyer on their new style warranty card....
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 04:40 AM   #4
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Interested to see how the pre-owned watch market will be affected. Will resellers try to get an Extract on all the watches in their inventory without papers before the change deadline?
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 06:15 AM   #5
scurfa
"TRF" Member

Disappointing, CHF 500! Just keep banging them nails in!

Old 27 March 2021, 06:20 AM   #6
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Wow, I spent $100.00US back in 2006. That and the quote of $1800.00 & 2 years turnaround to clean/ service a working non-complicated [hour & minute hands only] movement, quickly proved I out of my league.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 08:07 AM   #7
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

If the process involved an actual authenticity check on the watch in your local PP boutique before issue of papers then sign me up... otherwise such actions under the guise of ‘brand protection’ count against the brand in my book - just a money grab all the same!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 27 March 2021, 10:38 AM   #8
martinr
"TRF" Member

Can you get archive papers on a new or newer watch? I don’t think so. How can a grey get a new watch without papers and get archive papers?
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 12:32 PM   #9
Billfav
"TRF" Member

This

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
Can you get archive papers on a new or newer watch? I don’t think so. How can a grey get a new watch without papers and get archive papers?
It has to be older than 5 years according to the article.
Billfav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 12:35 PM   #10
Billfav
"TRF" Member

Glad I just ordered one...

Just ordered for my Ref 3940 two weeks ago. Interestingly they said to allow 12 weeks for it but I just received an email yesterday that I will have it on Monday. Just a click over a 3 week turnaround. Impressive.
Old 27 March 2021, 01:36 PM   #11
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt

Wow. I just ordered papers for a 1963’ish Ref 3466 Stainless, yesterday. Had no idea about this article. Seems nice to be able to marry a vintage piece with archive papers. Certainly not necessary for anything newer. I like their revised 1989 and older policy. Makes sense. 500CHF sure seems like a lot. But, it’s a Patek.

And the service turnaround is what prevents me from getting a complicated one. I’ll have no desire for a perpetual calendar, if it takes years to get it serviced. I was considering one, but that’s hard to imagine.

This just in from an estate. Being serviced. Needs a rotor bearing and crown. I’ve always wanted one. We shall see if it sticks. I’m such a sports Rolex nut; that seems to be my sweet spot.

Old 27 March 2021, 09:41 PM   #12
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

For that price am sure PP will demand you send it in for full verification that includes PP guaranteeing that ALL parts are 100% original. Is this something PP does now?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 10:08 PM   #13
watch-guy.com
Banned

And proper hands !

Julian

watch-guy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2021, 05:59 AM   #14
Billfav
"TRF" Member

Not my experience on the service of a PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladeshot View Post
Wow. I just ordered papers for a 1963’ish Ref 3466 Stainless, yesterday. Had no idea about this article. Seems nice to be able to marry a vintage piece with archive papers. Certainly not necessary for anything newer. I like their revised 1989 and older policy. Makes sense. 500CHF sure seems like a lot. But, it’s a Patek.

And the service turnaround is what prevents me from getting a complicated one. I’ll have no desire for a perpetual calendar, if it takes years to get it serviced. I was considering one, but that’s hard to imagine.

This just in from an estate. Being serviced. Needs a rotor bearing and crown. I’ve always wanted one. We shall see if it sticks. I’m such a sports Rolex nut; that seems to be my sweet spot.

My perpetual calendar, the same timepiece I was referencing in this thread that I got the extract on, was about 3 months for a complete service when sent in last summer and arrived end of October. Nice stainless steel PP find by the way...
Old 28 March 2021, 06:36 AM   #15
Bladeshot

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfav View Post
My perpetual calendar, the same timepiece I was referencing in this thread that I got the extract on, was about 3 months for a complete service when sent in last summer and arrived end of October. Nice stainless steel PP find by the way...

That’s great to hear! This was a lucky find. It will be fun to get correct. I like doing that!
Old 28 March 2021, 07:53 AM   #16
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
This is another step from Patek Philippe to protect its collectors. i am happy for that step
Old 28 March 2021, 11:03 PM   #17
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Ha! It’s called greed !! Very sad this is the way PP treats enthusiasts. James in San Antonio Tx:-(
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2021, 11:17 PM   #18
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azizu View Post
This is another step from Patek Philippe to protect its collectors. i am happy for that step

In my view, If the cost included authenticating the product before providing extract then yes. That would be a step to protect collectors and customers whether new or old.

How would you explain this from your viewpoint?

Old 29 March 2021, 12:10 AM   #19
Berettameier
"TRF" Member

This Hodinkee message is fake! April fool!

There are too many points in it which make no sense.
Berettameier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 07:51 AM   #20
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpharulez View Post
In my view, If the cost included authenticating the product before providing extract then yes. That would be a step to protect collectors and customers whether new or old.

How would you explain this from your viewpoint?

what i meant is patek or the ADs have taken many steps to slow down the flippers here are some:
1- the watch seal must be broken before the watch leaves the AD
2- if you get caught flipping you are black listed
3- patek now keeps track of who buys there pieces through the registration process which the AD must complete
4- it is difficult to get a ss piece if you have no history with the brand or the AD
etc etc
one of the very obvious things i could notice is that there were considerable amount of relatively new pieces that were sold without original certificate of origin (mostly to protect seller identity) and instead an extract from the archive would accompany the watch.
with limiting the extract from archives to only vintage pieces i believe they are trying to reduce the flipping
Old 29 March 2021, 08:34 AM   #21
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azizu View Post
what i meant is patek or the ADs have taken many steps to slow down the flippers here are some:
1- the watch seal must be broken before the watch leaves the AD
2- if you get caught flipping you are black listed
3- patek now keeps track of who buys there pieces through the registration process which the AD must complete
4- it is difficult to get a ss piece if you have no history with the brand or the AD
etc etc
one of the very obvious things i could notice is that there were considerable amount of relatively new pieces that were sold without original certificate of origin (mostly to protect seller identity) and instead an extract from the archive would accompany the watch.
with limiting the extract from archives to only vintage pieces i believe they are trying to reduce the flipping

Thanks for the clarification

Old 29 March 2021, 08:52 AM   #22
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Wow, I spent $100.00US back in 2006. That and the quote of $1800.00 & 2 years turnaround to clean/ service a working non-complicated [hour & minute hands only] movement, quickly proved I out of my league.
dP

I just got an $11k quote to repair clean my pocket watch. Tad excessive for a watch worth $5k

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 08:55 AM   #23
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berettameier View Post
This Hodinkee message is fake! April fool!

There are too many points in it which make no sense.

Oh yeah, ‘March Fools’ day on 3/28. I fall for that one every year.

Old 29 March 2021, 04:46 PM   #24
Berettameier
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
Oh yeah, ‘March Fools’ day on 3/28. I fall for that one every year.
Ok, however, the new regulation starts on April 1st. And I have massive doubts about the Hodinkee information as follows:

- Why do they address "Dear Customers"? They should address partners, dealers, whatever?!
- Date of first sale makes no sense. Date of production would be much more reasonable.
- 1989 makes no sense. Why 1989? It would be much more logical to have a "30 years and older" arrangement.
- Multiple requests for same timepiece: This paragraph is nonsense, since there is a "one extract in five years" regulation. There will never be multiple requests at the exact same point in time.
- Price increase: This is too much. We know Patek increasing prices dramatically. But that is way too much.
- I do not trust the last passage in Hondinkee's introduction: "The move seems like an effort to protect the brand, just like the discontinuation of the 5711. Thierry Stern is stubborn about steel, – and it turns out, Extracts from the Archives, too."
- Hodinkee likes to play with April fools.

Most important:
Why do we all have this information from Hodinkee only? Up to now, there are abolutely no other sources?! Does anybody have other information, please feel free to let us know.
Berettameier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 08:52 PM   #25
scurfa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
I just got an $11k quote to repair clean my pocket watch. Tad excessive for a watch worth $5k

Hi I thought £3800 was high 8 years ago for a restoration of a stainless steel pocket watch I paid £1800 for, I have just seen an exact one listed with 2 numbers away from the serial number at £16000.

Old 29 March 2021, 10:18 PM   #26
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Ok, however, the new regulation starts on April 1st. And I have massive doubts about the Hodinkee information as follows:

- Why do they address "Dear Customers"? They should address partners, dealers, whatever?!
- Date of first sale makes no sense. Date of production would be much more reasonable.
- 1989 makes no sense. Why 1989? It would be much more logical to have a "30 years and older" arrangement.
- Multiple requests for same timepiece: This paragraph is nonsense, since there is a "one extract in five years" regulation. There will never be multiple requests at the exact same point in time.
- Price increase: This is too much. We know Patek increasing prices dramatically. But that is way too much.
- I do not trust the last passage in Hondinkee's introduction: "The move seems like an effort to protect the brand, just like the discontinuation of the 5711. Thierry Stern is stubborn about steel, – and it turns out, Extracts from the Archives, too."

Most important:
Why do we all have this information from Hodinkee only? Up to now, there are abolutely no other sources?! Does anybody have other information, please feel free to let us know.

Good points, all! We’ll find out!

Old 29 March 2021, 10:52 PM   #27
77T

Glad I did my request last December. Got the extract in February (about 8 weeks - quicker than promised).

Maybe due to my registering the watch at same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 11:04 PM   #28
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggmt View Post
good points, all! We’ll find out!

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk
+1
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 11:08 PM   #29
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Most important:

I do wonder if HODINKEE would mess around with an April fools relating to Patek Philippe. Particularly on pricing. That would take some ... uh ... well.

Old 29 March 2021, 11:22 PM   #30
Billfav
"TRF" Member

Joke?

So you guys are serious about Hodinkee doing this as a joke? I don't know them that well other then reading a article here or there but I would be shocked.

I can say sometime last year I heard from my AD that PP does not offer this service for newer timepieces.