The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 7 April 2021, 10:15 PM   #61
HMHM
"TRF" Member

“We don’t want to go down the same route as AP who revolves only around the Royal Oak” ....

Proceeds to release ONLY Nautilus at the most important watch event of the year....

LOLOL
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2021, 10:18 PM   #62
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
“We don’t want to go down the same route as AP who revolves only around the Royal Oak” ....

Proceeds to release ONLY Nautilus at the most important watch event of the year....

LOLOL
I think you’ll find they’ve got it out if the way first so we can all talk about the other new releases that are being launched in the coming days without the elephant in the room.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2021, 10:22 PM   #63
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
I think you’ll find they’ve got it out if the way first so we can all talk about the other new releases that are being launched in the coming days without the elephant in the room.
I certainly hope so.. particularly if there’s new calatravas similar to 6007a.... I heard there’s another announcement on the 12th but I’m not sure if that’s due to confusion regarding the schedule or Patek has lined up another separate event to unveil other novelties.

Let us know when you get your farewell edition 5711!
Old 7 April 2021, 10:29 PM   #64
SpaceDweller77
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
I hope and believe you are right, Russell
SpaceDweller77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2021, 10:51 PM   #65
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

I am torn, on one hand I love this release and on the other disappointed this is (possibly) it.

This release contradicts nearly all of TS interviews on how he does not want the brand to be a one trick pony yet you go and make a whole release solely with the exact model you’ve stated you don’t want the brand to be defined by. Are the models released beautiful? In my eyes, certainly. Will this release give the PP brand media attention? Of course, it’s everything 99% of “collectors” and social media wants to see.

But what about the grand complications the brand, historically, is known for? I was looking forward to seeing some upper-end timepieces—Pateks bread and butter—but they release models 99% of the 1% will even have difficulty obtaining.

I do really love the 5711 green with ss as well as the 5990s rg with blue. I favor the 5711 green over the 5990 as the gold is a bit too flashy for me and material will make it even more hefty. The unfortunate reality for many of us is this release will not be obtainable and some might go as far as to say a slap in the face. I hope PP have more news as I’d love to see something I’d actually be able to purchase at an AD without having to beg.
LJubel328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2021, 11:01 PM   #66
Billfav
"TRF" Member

Are there more days to release other models?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJubel328 View Post
I am torn, on one hand I love this release and on the other disappointed this is (possibly) it.

This release contradicts nearly all of TS interviews on how he does not want the brand to be a one trick pony yet you go and make a whole release solely with the exact model you’ve stated you don’t want the brand to be defined by. Are the models released beautiful? In my eyes, certainly. Will this release give the PP brand media attention? Of course, it’s everything 99% of “collectors” and social media wants to see.

But what about the grand complications the brand, historically, is known for? I was looking forward to seeing some upper-end timepieces—Pateks bread and butter—but they release models 99% of the 1% will even have difficulty obtaining.

I do really love the 5711 green with ss as well as the 5990s rg with blue. I favor the 5711 green over the 5990 as the gold is a bit too flashy for me and material will make it even more hefty. The unfortunate reality for many of us is this release will not be obtainable and some might go as far as to say a slap in the face. I hope PP have more news as I’d love to see something I’d actually be able to purchase at an AD without having to beg.
As someone posted earlier, this was the elephant in the room. If there are other models to be released I would do the same thing. Put this one out first so that the buzz can be done with and others left to be appreciated.

However if they shot their wad and this is it I agree with you.
Billfav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2021, 11:45 PM   #67
mcch2233
"TRF" Member

I'm simultaneously excited and also sad for Nautilus fans, the majority of which will never be able to get these new releases haha.

I'm personally glad that the Nautilus never really did it for me (although I'm certainly subjecting myself to Aquanaut-induced pain), so it's fun to watch this with my popcorn on the sidelines
mcch2233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2021, 11:56 PM   #68
Patek_collector
"TRF" Member

i am from the minority who would have preferred the last version of 5711...

to stay blue... i feel the Green color is very flashy but i am sure many people will like it, and i am sure it will sell at multiple MSRP starting tonight!!!

i have the feeling from this announcement that the next star for Patek in the Nautilus range will be the 5990.
Patek_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 12:28 AM   #69
liljctl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Yep this colour.

Did your AD tell you about your allocation of this green 5711? I think should more or less know by now.
I've been asked if I want one. I am just torn between getting one with or without the diamonds.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk
liljctl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 12:30 AM   #70
Murcielagoboy2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
"Patek is nothing without the Nautilus." --Mr. Stern
He said that? Interesting.
Do you know where?
Murcielagoboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 12:31 AM   #71
Murcielagoboy2
"TRF" Member

Full release is on 12th.
My AD just messaged me.
Murcielagoboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 12:32 AM   #72
liljctl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfav View Post
As someone posted earlier, this was the elephant in the room. If there are other models to be released I would do the same thing. Put this one out first so that the buzz can be done with and others left to be appreciated.

However if they shot their wad and this is it I agree with you.
I had time to think about my earlier comment and now fairly certain they have more to come.

Saved the best for last. The entry level Nautilus first. Pre wad to expand your analogy. :)

liljctl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 12:51 AM   #73
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by liljctl View Post
I've been asked if I want one. I am just torn between getting one with or without the diamonds.

Thoughts?

The one with the baguette has more upside I think. But I will choose the one without...
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 12:55 AM   #74
CastorKrieg
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post

LOLOL
I'm sorry, is this a popularity contest who gets most Insta likes in the 24hrs time window? AP is synonymous with the RO, they have neglected or half-assed all their other lines.

Patek always stood for complications, Nautilus bubble was always 'cool...how cute' from Thierry Stern. Patek was also the first to discontinue the flagship model, you can bet any money AP was left with the mouth on the floor.

Just wait a few days and you will get new models. My guess is Calatrava line will get a complete relaunch.
CastorKrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 02:02 AM   #75
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrylee View Post
Limited one year? Where does it say that? They would have numbered the series if it’s gonna be a farewell 1 year run. This is the new 5711 to replace the prior and it will stay.
I dont think so, new one will be 6711, no?
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 02:11 AM   #76
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

It’s lazy

I love it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 02:30 AM   #77
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Looks like the watch industry is trying VERY hard to push green as the 'new blue' for fashion.
Seems like it. AP and Patek both released green dials.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 02:54 AM   #78
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
It’s lazy

I love it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Seeing the farewell 5711 I couldn't get your Streamliner out of my head this morning.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 03:22 AM   #79
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastorKrieg View Post
I'm sorry, is this a popularity contest who gets most Insta likes in the 24hrs time window? AP is synonymous with the RO, they have neglected or half-assed all their other lines.

Patek always stood for complications, Nautilus bubble was always 'cool...how cute' from Thierry Stern. Patek was also the first to discontinue the flagship model, you can bet any money AP was left with the mouth on the floor.

Just wait a few days and you will get new models. My guess is Calatrava line will get a complete relaunch.
I find your reply a little bit condescending especially the opening, but we will have that discussion on another day. Let’s get to the crux of the issue.

It is very well known that TS has used IWC as an example of why PP doesn’t want to dabble too much in the steel watch game and AP as an example of being too reliant on a single watch line. Both are true to a certain extend true.

The problem lies here: TS said that HE DOESNT WANT PP to be define by the Nautilus alone. Fair play to him as he understands the lineage of PP being a watch company with history of great grand complications.

Now, the issue (and this s my own personal opinion) - after the demise of Baselworld with Rolex and PP pulling out, Watches and Wonders is the MAIN watch exhibition left. The attention it garners is huge as compared to a standalone Patek Philippe event. If TS genuinely wants to treat the Nautilus EQUAL (I stressed the word EQUAL) as the other lines in the PP collection because he doesn’t want the Nautilus to steal the limelight, why allocate a PRIME time slot during a huge watch exhibition JUST FOR THE NAUTILUS?

By placing the Nautilus as the main attraction during the opening day of the biggest watch exhibition in the trade, does this mean that TS is acknowledging backhandedly that the Nautilus is now the jewel in the PP line up? I will let you to decide on that.

If TS doesn’t want to treat the Nautilus as the star of his brand as he frequently said, then why not equal treatment for all? Why not same day introduction and launches for ALL the new models on the same day at the biggest watch exhibition?

That’s all I’m asking. I accept the argument that they are removing the elephant in the room but I’m sure you guys are aware.... this is the biggest stage for a watch nerd. Now all the talk is about the nautilus when this could have been a more well-rounded discussion about other line ups as well. Then there is a possibility the Nautilus might have shared the limelight with another watch... say a calatrava or an aquanaut. Isn’t that what TS wanted?

You be the judge.
Old 8 April 2021, 03:34 AM   #80
jtli202
"TRF" Member

just wait till they release that olive 5711 in RG... thing will be bootiful and so unobtainable. just look at the rolex DD40 olive in RG right now
jtli202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 03:46 AM   #81
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
I'm surprised nothing came out for the dress line.

I suspect Patek is not done somehow? Something coming soon?

Has to be a new GC/AC/Calatrava of some sorts somewhere.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 04:01 AM   #82
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
I'm surprised nothing came out for the dress line.

I suspect Patek is not done somehow? Something coming soon?

Has to be a new GC/AC/Calatrava of some sorts somewhere.
They have another launch event scheduled for April 12.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 04:27 AM   #83
Pimpsy
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5712/1A
The green dial 5711 is not for me but the 5990 would slip nicely into my rotation.
Pimpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 04:51 AM   #84
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murcielagoboy2 View Post
Full release is on 12th.
My AD just messaged me.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 05:52 AM   #85
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
They have another launch event scheduled for April 12.
Praise be!
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 08:19 AM   #86
chmhill
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP
I am happy with the blue dial 5711. Not a fan for the green dial.
chmhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 09:06 AM   #87
QuelleHeureEstIl
Banned

The watch industry is following the gaming, car or electronic industry. They release "obvious" products drowned with all their competitors during a big event... only to keep a presence.

But the real deal is communicated outside this period to get more attention.

Patek is even different. I received a message "from" M. Stern saying that there will be a "private" online reveal the 12th. (I am an PP watch owner)
QuelleHeureEstIl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 03:31 PM   #88
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I just saw the new 5990/1R at my AD. It is gorgeous! The blue dial is the same shade as the 5711/1P and 5740. The whole package looks brilliant and congratulations to the new owner!
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 03:33 PM   #89
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I just saw the new 5990/1R at my AD. It is gorgeous! The blue dial is the same shade as the 5711/1P and 5740. The whole package looks brilliant and congratulations to the new owner!
Wow, these already shipped even before being announced?

That's unusual.

Probably was a 2020 launch that was deferred to 2021 due to the pandemic then?
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 03:38 PM   #90
S``
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Wow, these already shipped even before being announced?

That's unusual.

Probably was a 2020 launch that was deferred to 2021 due to the pandemic then?
A Taiwanese IG account bought the new 5711 and 5990 rose on the day of the launch...
S`` is offline   Reply With Quote