The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 April 2021, 02:44 PM   #1
BJHofkin
"TRF" Member

Explorer II – This Might Sound CRAZY, But…

I think the new update is CRUCIAL – and I'm not even talking about the movement.

https://monochrome-watches.com/2021-...ands-on-price/

I LOVED the outgoing reference in every way except two:

1. I thought the case was too big for the bracelet – not as bad as the old Deepsea, but still off by enough to bother me.

2. I liked the *idea* of the floating hands on the black dial, but thought the execution was a little off.

So what does Rolex do? They make tiny tweaks to the lugs and bracelet width that solve #1, and they drop the floating hands.

And for good measure, they make the shiny indices on the white dial matte to increase legibility and make the watch a bit more subtle.

To me this is actually Rolex at its BEST: Take what is fundamentally a GREAT design and tweak it for the sake of IMPROVEMENT – not just for novelty's sake.
BJHofkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 02:58 PM   #2
Prism
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJHofkin View Post
I think the new update is CRUCIAL – and I'm not even talking about the movement.

1. I thought the case was too big for the bracelet – not as bad as the old Deepsea, but still off by enough to bother me.

2. I liked the *idea* of the floating hands on the black dial, but thought the execution was a little off.

So what does Rolex do? They make tiny tweaks to the lugs and bracelet width that solve #1, and they drop the floating hands.

And for good measure, they make the shiny indices on the white dial matte to increase legibility and make the watch a bit more subtle.

To me this is actually Rolex at its BEST: Take what is fundamentally a GREAT design and tweak it for the sake of IMPROVEMENT – not just for novelty's sake.
Seriously? They could have also improved the execution of the phantom hands to bring it closer to the original and could have also actually physically shrunk the case 1mm to also bring it closer to the original. Those two subtle changes should have made it more worthy of a 50th anni update.
Prism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 03:00 PM   #3
BJHofkin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prism View Post
Seriously? They could have also improved the execution of the phantom hands to bring it closer to the original and could have also actually physically shrunk the case 1mm to also bring it closer to the original. Those two subtle changes should have made it more worthy of a 50th anni update.
Sure – those would've addressed the issues I had too.

But the bottom line is that my issues WERE addressed, and I'm fine with how they were addressed.
BJHofkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 03:09 PM   #4
jimmytamp
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Tudor, IWC,
Quote:

I call this improvement as a laziness!!

Cheers...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 9 April 2021, 03:21 PM   #5
CanPam
"TRF" Member

I prefer the proportions of the older model.

Although the lugs on the new one are a little bit thinner, the overall impression of the watch is bulkier due to the wider bracelet.
Attachment 1213975
Old 9 April 2021, 03:36 PM   #6
afmars
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
Agree on #1, it was my only nitpick with the 216570. It doesn’t bother me really, but I notice it occasionally.
afmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 05:52 PM   #7
WalterE
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many says wife
Quote:
[...]

[...]
I always thought the clasp of 215670 was too slim compared to the watch head. The new bracelet is definitively a noticeable improvement in my book.

Subtle, yes. Not as revolutionary as what was expected, also. But an improvement no doubt.
WalterE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 06:25 PM   #8
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

The matt dial and phantom hands of the outgoing reference were one of the references best features and now they are gone. There’s no way in Rolex madness land that these features now won’t command a premium now it’s discontinued. I personally felt they added a military style vibe to the watch face.
The wider bracelet SEL’s are neither here nor there to my eye. Certainly neither good nor bad for the overall look or proportions vs the outgoing model.
I’m keeping mine.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 08:40 PM   #9
Mrngrz46
"TRF" Member

The now old 216570 exp2 black already become an instant classic due to more coherence with history and is the 40th anniversary.
Mrngrz46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 09:21 PM   #10
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:

Agreed 100%.

Love the look of the new one - to the extent that I’ve asked my AD to try and get me one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 09:28 PM   #11
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
A larger width bracelet is NOT an improvement. Sad times for Rolex.
Old 9 April 2021, 09:37 PM   #12
Majin Buu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust now
I think people with small size wrists (because of the look) will complaint, but a professional, say an archeologist, spelunkers, etc.. will thank God (and Rolex) every time they look at their watches under “extreme” conditions (larger, more contrast, more legible), since this is a pro tool watch, that happens to be expensive ...

Best Wishes !

J.
Majin Buu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 09:47 PM   #13
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Interesting points but for me it was not worth the update for what was done, even including the movement. I own both the Polar and Black dial in the now discontinued Explorer II line-up and would not consider a trade or sell to replace them with the new model. Same for the Submariner and the changes there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200105_142425 (002).jpg (199.7 KB, 225 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 09:49 PM   #14
WalterE
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many says wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Interesting points but for me it was not worth the update for what was done, even including the movement. I own both the Polar and Black dial in the now discontinued Explorer II line-up and would not consider a trade or sell to replace them with the new model. Same for the Submariner and the changes there.
Not sure why that could be considered a bad thing... The model retains its identity, relevance and long term value.
WalterE is offline   Reply With Quote