The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 4 January 2023, 04:27 PM   #1
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Icon7 An evolution, a sweet vacation and a milestone purchase

My horological taste has evolved gradually over the years.

Up to the age of 39, I never care much for watches and I’m happy to wear the same Seiko 24 hours a day until it broke. I wasn’t even aware a watch can be serviced or repaired then, and a broken watch meant that I would get the next cheapest replacement from Seiko.

Something changed in my head when I was around 39. I could not explain what caused it but I fell in love with the Nautilus 5711. By association, I also began to like the other Patek models due to their history, complications and aesthetics, and over the next few years, went deep into the brand.

Then something switched again in early 2022. While still a big Patek fan, I developed a fondness for sharp inward angles in movements as they are sure signs of hand-finishing. I started to research madly into sharp inward angles and the more I dug into them, the more I yearned for them. In March 2022, my AD graciously placed an order on my behalf for a Voutilainen Vingt-8 which is scheduled for delivery in 2026. It was a big deal for me to have a bespoke handmade watch with sharp inward angles from a living legend. I look forward to 2026 for the delivery.

Besides Kari Voutilainen, I also learned that watches made by Philippe Dufour, Rexhep Rexhepi and Romain Gauthier have the highest level of hand-finishing. Not contented with just having the Vingt-8, I also wanted to add at least another piece from the pantheon of hand-finishing greats. During our recent vacation to Japan, while my wife is shopping, I went to an AD to place an order for the Romain Gauthier Insight Micro-Rotor (white gold) without seeing one in metal or trying one on. Thankfully the watch is still available for order and the delivery is estimated to be Q1 2024, which is not too bad compared to the Vingt-8. I chose the white enamel dial because I like how it looks with the blue hands. My wife commented I was beaming from ear to ear when I rejoined her. I still remember that “high” feeling to this day.

That aside, I find it incredible that a glorious watch like that could be purchased without a wait, compared to the known difficulties in getting a Simplicity or a RRCC. RG only makes 50-60 watches a year and I regard them as one of, if not, the most under-rated watchmakers in history. I’m aware Chanel has a minority stake in RG (just like FPJ) and RG the man relies on his team of in-house artisans to finish his watches. That said, PD is his mentor and that’s good enough for me.

Thanks for reading this long post. I will update as and when there are news to the delivery. Below are stock photos of the watch.

Front.jpg

Back.jpg
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2023, 04:31 PM   #2
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Nice catch. How come you did not get the Japan edition final Logical One? I think there are still a couple of them available.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2023, 04:40 PM   #3
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
Nice catch. How come you did not get the Japan edition final Logical One? I think there are still a couple of them available.
Logical Ones at 43mm are too large for my wrist. The Insight Micro-Rotor is a love at first sight but as RG is not available here, and due to Covid travel restrictions, I wasn't able to get it until now.
Old 4 January 2023, 04:44 PM   #4
jw0n
"TRF" Member

Huge congrats and thank you for sharing your journey, Michael. I look forward to your incoming RG as well as the Voutilainen. I too considered something from Kari, but just couldn't jive with the current catalogue.

Instagram: @itsjw0n
jw0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2023, 04:47 PM   #5
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw0n View Post
Huge congrats and thank you for sharing your journey, Michael. I look forward to your incoming RG as well as the Voutilainen. I too considered something from Kari, but just couldn't jive with the current catalogue.
Thanks Won! Have you considered Voutilainen 28 Inverse? That one is quite an off-the-path Voutilainen but you still get the movement aesthetics with the inward angles on the dial side.
Old 4 January 2023, 04:50 PM   #6
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Wow huge congrats, I could stare at that watch for days.

Is an overseas AD the only way to get one? I tried emailing them about a Continuum a while back but I never got a reply.
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2023, 05:00 PM   #7
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtButt View Post

Is an overseas AD the only way to get one? I tried emailing them about a Continuum a while back but I never got a reply.
Try DM RG directly. A friend ordered a C bracelet edition before it was announced but did not get any update after the announcement. Apparently there was some personnel change and the emails he sent went into a black hole. But he got a prompt response from RG himself.

Continuum seems to be a very popular reference.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2023, 05:08 PM   #8
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Thanks! Local ADs do not carry RG and I tried to coincide our family vacation with a visit to the Japanese AD. I think F2F interaction helps and I decided to buy there as I visit Japan annually. In an interview, RG said Japan is one of his major markets so I guess in terms of communication, he will be more responsive to his biggest clientele (in theory).

I also contacted TW and HK ADs and I do think it is possible to buy from them.
Old 4 January 2023, 05:59 PM   #9
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
Try DM RG directly. A friend ordered a C bracelet edition before it was announced but did not get any update after the announcement. Apparently there was some personnel change and the emails he sent went into a black hole. But he got a prompt response from RG himself.

Continuum seems to be a very popular reference.
I don't have social media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Thanks! Local ADs do not carry RG and I tried to coincide our family vacation with a visit to the Japanese AD. I think F2F interaction helps and I decided to buy there as I visit Japan annually. In an interview, RG said Japan is one of his major markets so I guess in terms of communication, he will be more responsive to his biggest clientele (in theory).

I also contacted TW and HK ADs and I do think it is possible to buy from them.
Thanks, maybe I'll try to check them out during my next trip.
Old 4 January 2023, 06:06 PM   #10
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks, maybe I'll try to check them out during my next trip.
You can ask me if you have any questions on RG and the Insight Micro-Rotor. I have done a lot of research before I pulled the trigger. Hope this helps and good luck with your next watch journey
Old 4 January 2023, 06:11 PM   #11
huydoan
"TRF" Member

Watch: pp and only pp
It seems independent brands are the endpoints of watch collecting journey. I didn't believe it before, but now I do. I am in the same similar situation as yours, where I started collecting Rolex, then AP, and finally PP only. Recently I am more interested in the independent brands, where I am totally in love with beveling, dial treatment effect of grenage, tremblage, sharp inward angles, or whatever related to manual work. Unlike you, I started with super under radar, young, contemporary watchmakers with reasonable price range of 20k. Hope to hear good news on your RG very soon.
huydoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2023, 06:30 PM   #12
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You can ask me if you have any questions on RG and the Insight Micro-Rotor. I have done a lot of research before I pulled the trigger. Hope this helps and good luck with your next watch journey
Thanks for the very generous offer!
Old 4 January 2023, 07:22 PM   #13
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huydoan View Post
It seems independent brands are the endpoints of watch collecting journey. I didn't believe it before, but now I do. I am in the same similar situation as yours, where I started collecting Rolex, then AP, and finally PP only. Recently I am more interested in the independent brands, where I am totally in love with beveling, dial treatment effect of grenage, tremblage, sharp inward angles, or whatever related to manual work. Unlike you, I started with super under radar, young, contemporary watchmakers with reasonable price range of 20k. Hope to hear good news on your RG very soon.
Glad we are on the same path

As I get older I tend to appreciate the hand-work and the number of dedicated hours these artisans put in. Maybe my mind starts to associate luxury with hours and hard work subconsciously.

I still buy Patek though and still hope to collect a MR one day. Their MR are also finished superbly by hand. So many temptations out there.

I will update again when I get the Insight Micro-Rotor
Old 4 January 2023, 08:21 PM   #14
shafran
"TRF" Member

Beautiful watch, well played!
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2023, 11:37 PM   #15
MJaber
"TRF" Member

Watch: Romain Gauthier
A thousand congrats on the beautiful Micro Rotor! It is my favourite reference from RG and my daily!

I agree with you on everything you said about RG but I am biased as I work for the man!

Old 4 January 2023, 11:50 PM   #16
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJaber View Post
A thousand congrats on the beautiful Micro Rotor! It is my favourite reference from RG and my daily!

I agree with you on everything you said about RG but I am biased as I work for the man!
I just visited your IG - you have an unbelievable custom Insight Micro-Rotor!!! My gosh! Frosted blue enamel baseplate, custom Arabic Numerals and beautiful Saudi Arabia background - love it!

I wish you post more pics here, your watch is an eye opener! Wear in good health and hope we can meet up with our own Insight Micro-Rotor one day!
Old 4 January 2023, 11:51 PM   #17
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafran View Post
Beautiful watch, well played!
Thank you! I haven't received the watch yet but based on the numerous macro shots I have seen, the watch will be incredible.
Old 5 January 2023, 12:29 AM   #18
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Major congrats! Your journey echoes many others. Let us be thankful for true independents who have brought back incredible HANDcraftmanship and designs.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2023, 12:51 AM   #19
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Congrats :)
Old 5 January 2023, 01:03 AM   #20
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Major congrats! Your journey echoes many others. Let us be thankful for true independents who have brought back incredible HANDcraftmanship and designs.
Thanks! I say let's be grateful to all watch manufacturers out there who give everyone a choice of their own to enter and immerse into the world of horology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
Congrats :)
Thank you!
Old 5 January 2023, 01:37 AM   #21
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks! I say let's be grateful to all watch manufacturers out there who give everyone a choice of their own to enter and immerse into the world of horology.
Very true, as there's a wrist for every timepiece

Only exception is the Chinese knock-offs (grrrr-rrrr) that claim to be made in Germany. Long story short, have been helping others and sometimes a newbie sees something that may look _____ to them, yet in reality is a cheap low-quality 'hommage' watch. Have also been chatting with 'kids' who think timepieces are waaaay cool to become watchmakers. Gosh knows we need more watchmakers.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2023, 01:42 AM   #22
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
What a beautiful watch! Congrats on a very special piece.
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2023, 03:11 AM   #23
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Congratulations I love this timepiece! Even the screw heads contribute to the overall aesthetic. Masterfully designed and finished.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2023, 04:48 AM   #24
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My horological taste has evolved gradually over the years.

Up to the age of 39, I never care much for watches and I’m happy to wear the same Seiko 24 hours a day until it broke. I wasn’t even aware a watch can be serviced or repaired then, and a broken watch meant that I would get the next cheapest replacement from Seiko.

Something changed in my head when I was around 39. I could not explain what caused it but I fell in love with the Nautilus 5711. By association, I also began to like the other Patek models due to their history, complications and aesthetics, and over the next few years, went deep into the brand.

Then something switched again in early 2022. While still a big Patek fan, I developed a fondness for sharp inward angles in movements as they are sure signs of hand-finishing. I started to research madly into sharp inward angles and the more I dug into them, the more I yearned for them. In March 2022, my AD graciously placed an order on my behalf for a Voutilainen Vingt-8 which is scheduled for delivery in 2026. It was a big deal for me to have a bespoke handmade watch with sharp inward angles from a living legend. I look forward to 2026 for the delivery.

Besides Kari Voutilainen, I also learned that watches made by Philippe Dufour, Rexhep Rexhepi and Romain Gauthier have the highest level of hand-finishing. Not contented with just having the Vingt-8, I also wanted to add at least another piece from the pantheon of hand-finishing greats. During our recent vacation to Japan, while my wife is shopping, I went to an AD to place an order for the Romain Gauthier Insight Micro-Rotor (white gold) without seeing one in metal or trying one on. Thankfully the watch is still available for order and the delivery is estimated to be Q1 2024, which is not too bad compared to the Vingt-8. I chose the white enamel dial because I like how it looks with the blue hands. My wife commented I was beaming from ear to ear when I rejoined her. I still remember that “high” feeling to this day.

That aside, I find it incredible that a glorious watch like that could be purchased without a wait, compared to the known difficulties in getting a Simplicity or a RRCC. RG only makes 50-60 watches a year and I regard them as one of, if not, the most under-rated watchmakers in history. I’m aware Chanel has a minority stake in RG (just like FPJ) and RG the man relies on his team of in-house artisans to finish his watches. That said, PD is his mentor and that’s good enough for me.

Thanks for reading this long post. I will update as and when there are news to the delivery. Below are stock photos of the watch.

Attachment 1341070

Attachment 1341071

Congratulations. Fantastic work of art.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2023, 05:39 AM   #25
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Congrats! May we see the mock up for your coming Voutilainen? I'd like to see what dial you chose.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2023, 05:42 AM   #26
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Congratulations Michael. An outstanding addition to an already amazing collection
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2023, 09:08 AM   #27
Victorx88x
"TRF" Member

Huge Congrats Michael!!!!
Victorx88x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2023, 09:27 AM   #28
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger_vital View Post
What a beautiful watch! Congrats on a very special piece.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post
Congratulations. Fantastic work of art.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Congratulations Michael. An outstanding addition to an already amazing collection
Thanks Brian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorx88x View Post
Huge Congrats Michael!!!!
Thanks Victor!
Old 5 January 2023, 09:29 AM   #29
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

That’s really an amazing pickup, congrats and thanks for sharing!
mps354 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2023, 09:29 AM   #30
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
Congratulations I love this timepiece! Even the screw heads contribute to the overall aesthetic. Masterfully designed and finished.
RG uses S screws and I do think it adds to the overall aesthetics of the watch. The S screw is supposed to allow the person to apply more force due to the "longer" line in the screw head