The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 July 2023, 12:32 AM   #1
Time Machine
Banned

Watch: 126613LN
If You Were To Sell Everything And Start Anew What Would You Do

When I bought my first RV, the dealer pointed to a tricked out 5th wheel and said "Yeah thats everyone's third RV. You'll buy a travel trailer, then trade into your first 5th wheel, then you'll buy THAT one over there."

He was right. I own my third RV today and it's where I should have started IF I had the money back then.

Well I am at the BEGINNING of my watch collecting today and can afford to buy my "third RV" literally and figuratively.

That being said, what would be THE watch that you would save up as a starting point today?

I am considering this: https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-gm...eer-model.html

Yet at the same time considering Tudors and others as a starting point of my collection, knowing that once I get the Rolex pieces added later on I probably will set these pieces aside.

Where would you start?
Time Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2023, 12:37 AM   #2
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Did that years ago, get what YOU love and will wear. Add in a variety of straps and bracelets (oem/aftermarket) for more diversity.

The whole point is to have fun with your possessions and enjoy your time
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2023, 12:40 AM   #3
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Watches have been a fun progression for me.

In all honesty I don’t really know if I own my “3rd RV” and that’s after 30+ years at this

What I’ve learned is that I’m definitely not a one watch guy.

I’ve also learned that more than 4 or 5 aren’t for me either. 3 is just about right.

That said, for me I think it’s risky to start with a “3rd RV” piece if you haven’t experienced a bunch of watches. At least that’s how it’s worked so far for me
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2023, 12:40 AM   #4
samuel019
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
126715 is a great watch and I have one FS atm

Only being I am kinda trying to do your post. A 506.

So that one would be where I would start if starting over but I have been down the Rolex road for many many many years and had just about every model in one way or the other. Subs, Explorers, Gmt's, Daytona's, SeaDweller's, OP's, SkyD's, etc
Old 18 July 2023, 12:44 AM   #5
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel019 View Post
126715 is a great watch and I have one FS atm

Only being I am kinda trying to do your post. A 506.

So that one would be where I would start if starting over but I have been down the Rolex road for many many many years and had just about every model in one way or the other. Subs, Explorers, Gmt's, Daytona's, SeaDweller's, OP's, SkyD's, etc
That’s an interesting post and you’ve made me reconsider how I’ve interpreted the OP.

Knowing what I know now, and from what I said above, I might be inclined to start with a diver, a GMT and a chronograph. Ideally I’d want 3 different brands as well

So for me, I’d want to add a Patek 5164 to my 321 and Submariner
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2023, 12:45 AM   #6
jgottsman11
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: President
I'd probably end up right back where I'm at today
jgottsman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2023, 12:46 AM   #7
dafuture
"TRF" Member

Just get what you love.

I started over during the pandemic. Sold everything right now to a Seiko SKX. I've since ended up in a place where I'm pretty happy. Got a new Sub Date from my AD and a Cartier Tank Americaine as a gift from my wife for our wedding. I'm ridding myself of most of my other sub-$1k watches (save a Seiko Turtle and my Divex 200). I'd love to add a Daytona, but it'll likely never happen given that I'll only pay retail. My realistic goal is to add a Pepsi. After that, anything else I'm able to get in my lifetime is just icing on the cake.
Old 18 July 2023, 01:06 AM   #8
bp1000
"TRF" Member

I'd actually do nothing different.

I'm a very considered person in general so every piece I bought I did so because I really wanted it. I never bought anything to get something else and some of the harder to get pieces took a lot of patience, some never happened and I just accepted that and moved on.

Now today I go to the safe and get a couple of watches for the week which I try and make sure get rotated evenly and I'm always excited to wear the two I pick. They feel like I just got them brand new.

I only have 2 regrets. I should have gone full YG or WG sub instead I went for the 116610LB (TT). Not getting the JLC Master Ultra Thin Moonphase in Rose Gold again I got it in steel. Looking back, this was 10 years ago, it was more to do with being comfortable spend 20k+ on a watch.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2023, 01:15 AM   #9
-dustin

I'd think the journey to your 3rd RV would help you greatly in appreciating what you've got. Whereas just jumping straight to it might leave you a bit unfulfilled.

The only thing I'd change about where I've been is the 5 digit Explorer II. I took a risk getting it, and as soon as I got it, knew immediately it wasn't going to last. If I had the funds to skip the $500 Hamiltons, and the $2k Tudors that have been part of my journey, I'd head to WoS or Tourneau and try a bunch of stuff on then go from there.
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2023, 01:32 AM   #10
Time Machine
Banned

Watch: 126613LN
Love the comments
Time Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2023, 01:33 AM   #11
colpol
"TRF" Member

Hard one to answer.

I bought my Omega SMP 25 years ago when young/ single & my Rolex SD 18 years ago when you could walk in/ buy what you wanted at a reasonable price/ no waiting lists. Now mid 50’s so not sure I’d want to start putting heavy money into watches again if had to start over

I’d probably avoid new Rolex/ maybe a 1680 as got one & still get a thrill when put on. I bought a citizen BN0150 last year & fantastic watch. Lesson I’ve learned is - plenty of watches out there that don’t cost an arm
& a leg that look the business

25 years ago / your research was via magazines & shop windows in

I’d defo put a lot more research into other brands
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2023, 01:40 AM   #12
superpop
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 and SS SkyD
The good news is, if you stick with Rolex you probably won't get burned financially if you change your mind like you do with an RV. Most Rolex models are a safe bet financially if you can buy what you want at retail. I never pay over retail and have been very lucky to get the two pieces I wanted at retail. I tend to agree with others that if you start out at the end of the journey, you will wonder what you missed. I would start out by going to every AD in your area and just looking around for one or two pieces that you like, try them on if possible and then decide which one you want the most. Then I would let all of your AD's know what you want and see which one will play ball. Most AD's want to sell to someone who is genuinely interested in a specific watch vs "I will take whatever you have" vibes. That is what I did, trying the watches on is important, I thought I was in love with a Pepsi until I tried it on and realized how dainty it is on my wrist. Ended up with an SD43 as a daily and an SS Sky D blue for dress up occasions.
superpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2023, 02:24 AM   #13
ingoodtime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Machine View Post
When I bought my first RV, the dealer pointed to a tricked out 5th wheel and said "Yeah thats everyone's third RV. You'll buy a travel trailer, then trade into your first 5th wheel, then you'll buy THAT one over there."

He was right. I own my third RV today and it's where I should have started IF I had the money back then.

Well I am at the BEGINNING of my watch collecting today and can afford to buy my "third RV" literally and figuratively.

That being said, what would be THE watch that you would save up as a starting point today?

I am considering this: https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-gm...eer-model.html

Yet at the same time considering Tudors and others as a starting point of my collection, knowing that once I get the Rolex pieces added later on I probably will set these pieces aside.

Where would you start?
The rootbeer GMT is beautiful but rose gold seems to come into and go out of style over time whereas YG or WG is a mainstay. I prefer YG myself but, a white gold pepsi with meteorite dial would be a grail. There are also preownder discontinues pieces. lie the YG 40MM GMT with green dial which INHO is a grail piece. They have appreciated drastically but may be in your price range. Also, a YG blusy sub with sunburst dial.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230505_214828 (1) full size.jpg (143.0 KB, 846 views)

Lee
ingoodtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2023, 02:25 AM   #14
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
First, only buy Rolex. Second, I’d establish a relationship with at least two ADs. The more the merrier. And never sell or trade. Only buy. . .
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2023, 04:02 AM   #15
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
I did! Started all over with the black sub date, really all you need.
Old 18 July 2023, 04:06 AM   #16
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Meteorite
“The chase is better than the catch.”
Rolex1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2023, 04:08 AM   #17
Mountain
"TRF" Member

Anything without the dreaded 32xx movement !
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2023, 04:29 AM   #18
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

I've tried all the steel professional models outside the Daytona so far. My favorite is the 16710 Pepsi.

So I would clench my teeth and buy the latest (2007?) NOS model I could find and get it serviced. Would also source a jubilee for it. And that's it, I think that's all I would need.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2023, 04:30 AM   #19
pearson1995
"TRF" Member

I like to think I was quite tactical in everything I bought, so I like where I currently am. However, if I was to for some reason loose my collection and decide to start again I would probably try and keep my collection to ‘3 and a G’

G shock for the rough and ready.

1) Patek 3940
2) Rolex DD40 Platinum
3) Rolex DaytonaC
Old 18 July 2023, 04:35 AM   #20
geoffreyis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Finally at a place I love.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 21A6149F-3B69-4031-ABF1-B04E22F174DF.jpeg (123.6 KB, 752 views)
geoffreyis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2023, 04:44 AM   #21
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I always wanted a 42mm Polar for my collection. I had other watches. The Polar was supposed to be the last piece I bought to top off my collection and would be my only Rolex. It didn't quite go to plan.

Like what you like, buy what you want, enjoy the journey.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2023, 04:52 AM   #22
WatchTimes

Watch: It's a Rolex!
I have a few pieces I want to sell but just never take good pics LOL
The problem is there isn't much out there that really interests me other than a couple other Rolex models Id like to add but Im not willing to pay gray prices yet LOL
I wouldn't liquidate and start over as I really wouldn't change much

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2023, 05:03 AM   #23
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
if I had, “third RV money” back then, to use the OP’s analogy, I likely would have bit the bullet and jumped into PP with an Aquanaut.

At the time 10+ yrs ago, it was attainable by my “today” standards. I

Other than that, I wouldn’t do much different, except I’d avoid the collection mistakes I made along the way, which thankfully isn’t many.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2023, 06:16 AM   #24
Ferrari308
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,GMT,Sub,DJ
My thoughts, as I have considered this any number of times.

I had wanted a Rolex for 30+ years, but never was able to be in the right place, time, money to get one until the last few years. I had a conversation with my wife before buying my first one. She pointed out to me that the phrase Rolex has and uses is, "Every Rolex has a story."

That seemed cheesy to me for a long time, but what she pointed out was that if this were to be/have been my only Rolex ever, then why not make this watch tell MY story. With that, I did find a new/unworn Rolex from a gray market dealer and I bought it. So, I think this was the way to go for me. My other Rolexes have been pre-owned and have their previous owners stories in their metal and leather.

The second consideration I would offer would be to decide what model serves your purpose best. Maybe you don't need a dive watch or a chronograph? Maybe the Oyster Perpetual, with its bright colors, is exactly the one that you like. Maybe it's a DayDate 40 that you get excited over. Don't let someone else's opinion sway what YOU want. You are the one that has to live with it day after day. I see people, myself included, asking others opinions about which watch to get (I did this just last week in fact). I used it to remind myself exactly why I wanted the one I wanted to get next. But it would not be the driving factor for me. I had decided years ago that I wanted a Submariner - I viewed it as the icon of Rolex, yet, when I bought my first Rolex, I went with a Daytona - simply because I could at that time. But wearing the Daytona, I found I still wanted a Submariner. SO, I went back and bought a Sub. The Sub actually gets more wrist time than my Daytona does. I would still NOT change a thing about which one I got first because I went with what was right for me.

Do what is right for you - that is the point of my ramblings...

PDG
Ferrari308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2023, 06:35 AM   #25
Yobber76

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
This is a great question, Thanks.

I'm not really sure if I would have bought different watches/brands, or different price levels, or SS/PM/TT in any planned order. But I would have started the watch journey sooner.
I had always told myself that luxury items were for tomorrow, neccessity items were today. Cars were tools, didn't need frills, Timex tells time as well as a Rolex. I never took a real vacation until my wife insisted we plan a nice family trip, and somehow we did it every year after that. The truth is with a little planning you can have these things.

I have some nice watches, I bought my Rolexes at the beginning of my collecting, because I could feel them getting harder to get. Then I branched into other brands, actually buying less expensive watches, geared toward having a daily beater or two, then giving those to my sons to wear, then buying another. Eventually they can have the Rolexes.
Yobber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2023, 07:53 AM   #26
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
There’s some truth to the idea of people buying fancier/more expensive watches as they get more into it, but that’s not universal.

I started with a Seiko dive watch that meant a lot (which is all that matters). Lately I’ve been looking at Seikos again just because that’s what I like right now.
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2023, 08:06 AM   #27
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
They won’t let me go back in time , I know too much . Don’t ask me who “they” are .
Malum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2023, 08:17 AM   #28
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
That is a nice watch you are considering. You might be able to buy one new from an AD, if you check a few out. The word is the market on PM has eased up a bit.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2023, 10:20 AM   #29
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt. I've traded in a collection and got a Platona and built on top of it. Now I've got rid of the Platona and am deciding where to spend the cash. Pretty much gotten what I want. Still about $50K to spend or so. Time will tell.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2023, 10:38 AM   #30
raym0016
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
That’s an interesting post and you’ve made me reconsider how I’ve interpreted the OP.

Knowing what I know now, and from what I said above, I might be inclined to start with a diver, a GMT and a chronograph. Ideally I’d want 3 different brands as well

So for me, I’d want to add a Patek 5164 to my 321 and Submariner

I have the Template you mentioned. I think it’s going to be 4-5 though. Next is sub. But the Pelagos is a nice thing to have when the sub is too shiny.
raym0016 is offline   Reply With Quote