The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 July 2023, 03:26 PM   #1
Invade
"TRF" Member

Rolex Watch Damaged by Rolex AD Boutique

Hello everyone,

As title states my Rolex YG DD 40mm champagne dial REF 228238 I bought in Switzerland Geneva on July 16th 2023 at 0837hours through Rolex AD Bucherer was a great experience and a opportunity of a lifetime for which I am forever grateful. I was super happy to finally land a Rolex and be part of the Rolex family. I flew back home right after the purchase to the united states. Fast forward 7 days later July 23, 2023 around 5:30pm pacific time. I decided to finally take my Rolex watch to the local Rolex AD in my city figured you know to get my watch sized and fitted because I didn't have time after purchasing the item. Figured going to a official Rolex AD they would handle the watch with care since it's a PM type of watch. Not even 7 days of ownership and the nightmare begins as I go into the Rolex AD sales associate tells me to go have a seat they would have someone over to help get the watch sized and fitted. I can't even remember the name of the associate it happened so fast she grabbed my Rolex box and opened it and took out the watch with her bare hands. Didn't bother to ask can I handle it or anything or put gloves on. Told her I want to get this sized and fitted to my wrist tells me to extend arm I'm going to measure and says okay 4 links I have to remove. I said okay and she walks away with the watch and goes into the room where they service watches with a see through glass. Luckily my fast thinking decided to record her and without this there would of been no proof of her handling my watch. I'm new to all this and nervous so wasn't sure what to expect and it took the female associate about 3 mins tops with messing with the strap bracelet to coming back outside. She came to where I was in the sitting area and she said lets put it on to see how it fits and it felt fine. It was super rushed she then put it back in the box and the 4 links she had taken off in the back compartment of the green Rolex Box. She asked if I needed anything else and I said no and went on my merry way.

Fast forward about 2 hours later my dumbass didn't check until I got home the side of the bracelet where the link screws were and it was all scratched and damaged as if she tried to brute force to take out the links. Livid and frustrated of what I'm witnessing and experiencing I called the store. Spoke with supposedly the manager and was like well just bring in the watch so we can take a look at it tomorrow. So I go back asap driving to the store to speak with someone on the situation. It's about 8pm pacific time still July 23, 2023. Got a hold of the store manager I had spoken to over the phone and was like lets take a look at the watch. Trying to keep my composure I take out the watch using a Rolex cloth that was given to me when I bought the watch and place it laid out on the table. She asks if she can handle it and I told her sure and she puts on a gloves and inspects the bracelet and says oh we can fix this with a simple polish. I said no because I didn't even have the watch for 7 days and the associate damaged a brand new Rolex watch and not any kind of watch a YG DD 40mm. I told her I want a replacement of the 2 damaged links as well as the 4 that were put in the bag cause there was a slight scratch on them as well. She's like are you sure it didn't come this way? I'm like I didn't even have the watch for 7 days it didn't fit me and left it in the box until I came to your store. She's like well I have to speak with higher ups and get approval of getting the replacement of the links and it might take a few weeks or months depending on the back order of it since they are not your typical links for any bracelet. I told her that's fine as long as I can get this issued resolved. She told me she'll deal with me personally on Tuesday July 25th, 2023 at 2pm and that a watchmaker white coat would help fix the situation on my watch.

Fast forward 2 days later it's now July 25th, 2023 2pm bare in mind I actually had to take off half the day from work to do this and all I'm getting is a simple sorry from them on what happened and magically that they have 2 brand new links available for replacement. They put me in a room closed environment outside of public view ask for my watch and I take it out and watchmaker says we can replace the 2 links with 2 new ones they pulled them out in some sort of plastic container with serial number I believe and some sort of qr code on them. To keep me at ease they said I could watch the watchmaker white coat work on my watch and so I did but they wouldn't allow me to record. He finishes the replacement and I got back to the closed room environment they put it on my wrist ask how it feels we go back and forth on how it should be placed on my wrist but they are insistent I should have all links removed from the 6 side instead of having a even balance from 6 to 12. Anyways after slight going back and forth we finally settled my wrist is too small so a bit more of the six has to be removed in links to able to size the watch and have Rolex crown be slightly further away from center of the vein. The store manager told me she'd try to work something out about the other 4 links but that's for another time. I did attempt to have them document this whole entire incident and they refused almost as if they wanted to hush hush the situation of what just happened. I do have emails of reaching out to before July 23, 2023 to discuss of what I was going in for and store manager vaguely replied and said that she would still see me July 23,2023 at 2pm-430pm

To say the last it wasn't very unpleasant experience I was left uneasy about my entire bracelet and even tried to ask if I could have it replaced and they said no because any blemishes or anything like that was not caused by "them". You know this is super shitty ass service for Rolex AD Boutique the "upper management" never came personally to apologize for the whole entire situation nor the employee that caused all of this. It felt super rushed like they wanted me out of there to keep quiet about what happened with my watch.

I would like to know is this typical situation that happens at a Rolex AD Boutique? Do I have any recourse for the situation to get entire bracelet actually replaced? The watch has great sentimental value to me because my family was with me during the trip they've known I wanted a Rolex watch for 10 years + to be able to spend this much on a watch and just so a sale associate ruined the Rolex experience within matter of minutes just has left bad taste for the brand and is this what I'll be experiencing moving forward with any Rolex place? Any other advice moving forward how I should handle my watch for this to never happen in the future? I'm not a flipper it's my first ever Rolex watch and I'm just left empty inside and not happy anymore to the point where I needed to vent and let this story out on this forum. I've kept out the name of the Rolex Boutique where this happened due to privacy reasons but willing to disclose further if a Rolex Corporate personnel reaches out to get further on the situation.

Thank you to everyone who takes the time to read this and reply. I'll try to reply as quickly as I can buy I do work 10 hour shifts so won't reply until tomorrow morning when I wake up.

Files are too big so have to upload through Imgur https://imgur.com/a/muPXTGWvideo is 2 mins and 40 seconds in 4k so Idk where to upload that to showcase how the associate was handling my watch.
Invade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 03:39 PM   #2
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

“Chatgpt, please summarize this:”

The author shares their experience of purchasing a Rolex YG DD 40mm champagne dial watch and having a negative encounter at a local Rolex AD Boutique while trying to get the watch sized and fitted. The sales associate mishandled the watch and damaged the bracelet. The author recorded the incident, confronted the store manager, and eventually got two damaged links replaced. However, they are still dissatisfied with the overall experience and feel that the service was subpar.

The author asks if this is a typical situation at a Rolex AD Boutique and if they have any recourse to get the entire bracelet replaced. They express disappointment with the lack of a personal apology from upper management and wonder if this is indicative of future experiences with Rolex. They also seek advice on how to prevent similar incidents in the future.

In summary, the author had a negative experience at a Rolex AD Boutique, where a sales associate mishandled and damaged their watch, leading to a dissatisfactory resolution. They are left disappointed and seek advice on how to handle their watch and future interactions with the brand.
omar-rye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 03:42 PM   #3
KY..
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 60s to 90s
Well I’d be pissed too as those bracelet links in the photo are very scratched and damaged.
The sales associate should be told to never touch another PM Rolex again.
Are you satisfied with how the watch looks now after the links got replaced OP?
If you don’t mind please show us photos of the watch as it sounds like a beauty.

Old 28 July 2023, 03:51 PM   #4
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

They completely mangled your bracelet.

At a minimum. They should replaced the damaged links and screws.

Amateurs!
Old 28 July 2023, 04:01 PM   #5
Light
"TRF" Member

Following this story... They definitely didn't use the right process to remove the screws at first and hopefully the AD will replace the other 4 links that were also moved during the first visit
Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 04:06 PM   #6
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
That looks dreadful it’s like the apprentice did it on their first day. For someone to do that and not own up to it is disappointing
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 04:07 PM   #7
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post

The author shares their experience of purchasing a Rolex YG DD 40mm champagne dial watch and having a negative encounter at a local Rolex AD Boutique while trying to get the watch sized and fitted. The sales associate mishandled the watch and damaged the bracelet. The author recorded the incident, confronted the store manager, and eventually got two damaged links replaced. However, they are still dissatisfied with the overall experience and feel that the service was subpar.

The author asks if this is a typical situation at a Rolex AD Boutique and if they have any recourse to get the entire bracelet replaced. They express disappointment with the lack of a personal apology from upper management and wonder if this is indicative of future experiences with Rolex. They also seek advice on how to prevent similar incidents in the future.

In summary, the author had a negative experience at a Rolex AD Boutique, where a sales associate mishandled and damaged their watch, leading to a dissatisfactory resolution. They are left disappointed and seek advice on how to handle their watch and future interactions with the brand.
Much better in shorter version
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 04:17 PM   #8
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invade View Post
Hello everyone,

I've kept out the name of the Rolex Boutique where this happened due to privacy reasons but willing to disclose further if a Rolex Corporate personnel reaches out to get further on the situation.
Don't hold your breath. We've had dozens of people in your situation posting here. Some not so bad as yours, some worse. At least they fixed you up and if they get you the extra links then put it down to experience. I always get bracelets sized at point of sale rather than bother an AD who had nothing to do with it, and so might not be as dedicated to the task.

It's sad but stuff happens. A luxury brand's image is sometimes only as strong as its weakest links (no pun intended) and you seem to have found one of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ad.jpg (100.7 KB, 1040 views)
Old 28 July 2023, 04:41 PM   #9
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
OP is right to be upset. Sounds like the Rolex boutique doesn’t use the machine, developed by Rolex, that heats the links to soften the Loctite, before removing the screws. Anyone who sizes the bracelet is supposed to be trained to do so, to avoid this type of incident. I learned this from my own SA, at my AD. If I were the OP, I would demand the other links be replaced, as well. Then, I’d forget about it.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 05:58 PM   #10
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Ouch! That's just not good enough. This stuff happens (it shouldn't but it does) and it sounds like they have addressed the worst part of it. Are they proposing to do anything definite about the links they took off?

Personally I wouldn't care who apologised and who didn't, provided the damage was all made good, although I would use it as a bit of leverage in future, if I could.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 06:04 PM   #11
Ollie1982
Banned

Watch: Sub, Exp, DJ & Pam
Sorry this happened to you OP.

But people should really learn how to adjust bracelets themselves. It’s a piece of cake, you only need to undo a couple of screws, remove some links and then tighten up the screws again. Besides, if you need to do this in the future for whatever reason, you have to visit an AD or watchmaker, all to essentially remove and replace a couple of screws!

Why would you let someone else do this for you? Especially at an AD where they are basically performing a service free of charge. Very few sales advisors will handle your watch with the care that you do. Also, they are doing you a favour by resizing it for you, so will likely do it in a hurry and here you are.

If you must have someone do this for you, have the AD do it that sold you the watch, and make sure it’s a watchmaker and not a sales advisor doing the work. They have a obligation to ensure the watch leaves the store, fitted to the owners wrist. And you have proper recourse if the watch is damaged.

Alarm bells should’ve been ringing after your rushed interaction with the sales advisor, and you should’ve checked your watch thoroughly before leaving the store.

We all (should) live and learn, this should serve as a lesson to all of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ollie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 06:12 PM   #12
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

Quote:

TimepieceRPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 06:18 PM   #13
Xky
"TRF" Member

I know this video won’t help with your situation, but may help others out who would like to learn or have a go themselves at removing links, It’s the best video I’ve found on the subject of removing links.

https://youtu.be/tBzOE0OuMWM

Xky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 06:38 PM   #14
Watchsama
"TRF" Member

First time hearing someone freaking out over Sales not wearing gloves...

But yeah, they should have handled the sizing better. That's why I prefer to do it by myself at home
Watchsama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 07:39 PM   #15
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1982 View Post

But people should really learn how to adjust bracelets themselves. It’s a piece of cake, you only need to undo a couple of screws, remove some links and then tighten up the screws again. Besides, if you need to do this in the future for whatever reason, you have to visit an AD or watchmaker, all to essentially remove and replace a couple of screws!

Why would you let someone else do this for you? Especially at an AD where they are basically performing a service free of charge. Very few sales advisors will handle your watch with the care that you do. Also, they are doing you a favour by resizing it for you, so will likely do it in a hurry and here you are.

If you must have someone do this for you, have the AD do it that sold you the watch, and make sure it’s a watchmaker and not a sales advisor doing the work. They have a obligation to ensure the watch leaves the store, fitted to the owners wrist. And you have proper recourse if the watch is damaged.

Alarm bells should’ve been ringing after your rushed interaction with the sales advisor, and you should’ve checked your watch thoroughly before leaving the store.

This ^.

Sorry it happened OP, but as I always say on here when questions about adjusting bracelets come up: no-one will ever care about your watch more than you. A tiny investment in the proper screwdriver and all this can be averted in future.
Old 28 July 2023, 08:12 PM   #16
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Adjusting Rolex bracelets is very easy with the right tools. Those who want to do it will learn, as some of us have. It is not obligatory, and a Rolex AD shouldn't be damaging anyone's watch, regardless of the circumstances. Some owners don't have the time, space or confidence to take it on. ADs are supposed to be skilled havens. This is a training issue, the SA who chewed up the bracelet shouldn't have been anywhere near it with sharp things. Management can correct this - if management cares.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 08:20 PM   #17
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Those saying to do it themselves, it’s not as straightforward with daydates as there are usually ceramic sleeves covering the screws and it’s more difficult. Also with Rolex factory bracelets the screws are polished along with the bracelets so replacement screws will
not be the correct length depending on which links it affected.

Regardless this is terrible for the OP but I always get it sized at the boutique I bought it from and nowhere else OR a Rolex service centre and not just any Rolex AD.
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 08:21 PM   #18
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear of your mess tvan stellar experience. I’m glad at least they replaced the damaged links
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 08:27 PM   #19
bwdellorf76
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
Guys, unfortunately you cannot always assume the Rolex AD have a competent person that can deal with removing links. Go to Amazon, buy one of those small and cheap heat guns so you can heat up the screws and a proper screwdriver (I use the T head type) and do it yourself. Need to heat up the screws to loosen the them up first. Otherwise, you will have stripped screws.
bwdellorf76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 09:00 PM   #20
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
“Chatgpt, please summarize this:”....
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 09:02 PM   #21
geoffreyis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
I’m super OCD about my watches. Night and day difference with my watches and my wife’s. But that’s another story.

I’d be livid too though.
geoffreyis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 09:33 PM   #22
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

Welcome to the forum, congratulations on being able to buy a beautiful watch, and hope you get your bracelet scratch issue resolved.

Old 28 July 2023, 09:53 PM   #23
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Sorry to hear about your unpleasant AD experience, OP. Glad they replaced the links, at least.

Never let SAs size a bracelet of replace an oyserflex. They generally don't know how and don't really care about possible damage caused, included but not limited to screws, links, case and even badly dented PM lugs. Their defense is typically "what difference does it make, you're going to wear it and scratch it anyway".

I let only on-site watchmakers or the RSC size my watches.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 10:14 PM   #24
Auric Goldfinger
Banned

The problem is the SA who rushed the job and didn't do the sizing correctly. That should've been your first clue but it's understandable this was missed given this was your first Rolex experience. If you opt to have your watch sized in store, make sure the watchmaker (white coat person) does it in order to minimize risk.

At least they provided two brand new links and the plastic QR packaging verified this. I would continue to press them to replace the remaining four. They're hoping you go away since they already replaced the two damaged that were remaining on the bracelet. The longer you wait, the harder it will be to seek a recourse for these.

After this is all settled and done, I would enjoy your watch and wouldn't return to the store. Just be glad they didn't damage the watch mid-case, otherwise you'd have even more of an uphill battle.
Auric Goldfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 10:21 PM   #25
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:

Thanks
Old 28 July 2023, 10:28 PM   #26
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
They completely mangled your bracelet.

At a minimum. They should replaced the damaged links and screws.

Amateurs!

^^^X2^^

That is the only solution I would accept.
Old 28 July 2023, 10:35 PM   #27
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
OP is right to be upset. Sounds like the Rolex boutique doesn’t use the machine, developed by Rolex, that heats the links to soften the Loctite, before removing the screws. Anyone who sizes the bracelet is supposed to be trained to do so, to avoid this type of incident. I learned this from my own SA, at my AD. If I were the OP, I would demand the other links be replaced, as well. Then, I’d forget about it.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This is more than that, was the woman wearing glasses? It’s like she stabbed at the link with a screwdriver trying to get it seated or something - they really should be more selective with who handles the mechanical tasks but I get it, retail sales associates aren’t easy to come by these days
Bozack90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 10:44 PM   #28
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Really bad, always amazed at those who insist a RSC service their watch. Have never heard of Rollieworks doing this to a watch
East of Eden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 10:48 PM   #29
Auric Goldfinger
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by East of Eden View Post
Really bad, always amazed at those who insist a RSC service their watch. Have never heard of Rollieworks doing this to a watch
This isn’t a problem of the actual Rolex service center, it’s a problem of an inept sales associate performing the sizing.
Auric Goldfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 10:54 PM   #30
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:

It is easy but for softening the Loctite which is why the OP's links were damaged. I suspect the salesclerk did not even know the screws were glued firm. I have always struggled to soften it no matter what suggestion I follow.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote