The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 February 2019, 07:30 AM   #31
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
ADs are owned and independently controlled within the parameters of Rolex rules. There are good ADs and there are bad ADs.

In my experience, it is heavily dependent on location. I'm in a bad area to buy Rolex watches due to the wealth. The local Rolex ADs I've visited have 0 incentive to cater to their smaller customers and give most of their sought after watches to customers who buy tons of jewelry and other watches.

ADs in smaller areas have a strong incentive to treat all customers with respect and fairly, if they are smart. Gaining new customers and building up a great reputation means a lot more to a smaller AD as opposed to an AD where they have more clients than they can count who spend ludicrous amounts of money a year.

Find me a local and honest AD in my area that will respect me and realize that this will be a long-term beneficial relationship that will last decades and I'll start the relationship. I'm not very happy about hearing stories of people who had good relationships with their ADs but are now being treated like any old customer and being told to buy X to get Y. I don't like the shortsighted approach to business.

To me, a good AD will actually put you on a real list or at least do so after you have purchased any watch from them. Then they'll deliver a hard to get watch to you in 1-2 years max. If you purchase that hard to get watch after being called, from that point on any watch you want should be given to you within the year. If that's not the case then what is the point of starting these relationships? When I've been told I can get a Daytona if I purchase a PM watch, then I know that Daytona is there. So the last thing I want to hear after being an existing customer is that I have to wait 5 years for a Daytona.
007_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 07:58 AM   #32
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

A pro AD message

D&D did a good thing there.

I visit several local ADs from time to time. But I spend most of my time visiting my nearby AD.

Have bought several items there and am on the list for a 116500. They are very good and have hosted an ATL GTG in their shop.

One other AD has tried to bundle a PM model to get the 116500 - another wanted a special order with 100% advance payment. Neither will ever get a dime of mine but they are independent businesses and I recognize their free-market enterprising vigor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 08:39 AM   #33
ryn
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum (have been reading a lot but never posted) and also new to Rolex.

I also live in Houston and have contacted 2 ADs so far. The first was Deutsch Houston via email and I was told there was an "extensive wait list". I asked about possibly making a prepayment and was told they do not take deposits.

The second AD was IW Marks, but this time, I went in person and was able to view the number of people on the list. The rep I spoke to informed me that in order to even be on the list, I need to make 100% of the payment up front.

Now, I don't mind putting down a deposit but right now I'm really starting to feel overwhelmed. Is every AD different in terms of deposits? The watch I'm looking for has 12 people in front of me at IW Marks and she gave me no clear indication of when it would be available.

All I want to do is buy a watch but nothing about this process is making me feel comfortable.
ryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 08:44 AM   #34
Cvg
"TRF" Member

I bought my Sub from an online gray and the warranty card has this ADs name on it...and mine I would add. I paid $500 over MSRP but saved tax so it was more or less a wash for me and I did not have to wait.
Cvg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 09:11 AM   #35
krzy
"TRF" Member

Nice purchase. Just wondering why you tried to hide the name of the AD on the receipt? The paper is watermarked.
krzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 09:13 AM   #36
Odie-r
"TRF" Member

Always nice to see when that works out for someone. Congrats!
Old 19 February 2019, 09:15 AM   #37
AckAck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5204P
Congrats! Glad to hear there are some good AD’s out there!
AckAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 09:29 AM   #38
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
The way I look at it, an AD falls into one of 3 categories in today's market. The first is they follow the old method of having a list for desirable pieces and they follow the queue, the second is that they are bundling the allocation for their "whales" or high rollers only (as one AD told me their Rolex Rep advised them to make the hard to get pieces available only to their "very best customers") and lastly they are splitting the ridiculous mark-up with a grey market seller out the back door.

I'm guessing with my AD, my position in the queue may very well outlive me so perhaps it's best to leave my position in the queue to my heirs in my will.

Congratulations on getting a reservation on a beautiful piece.

For me, it's time to switch brands....
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 09:35 AM   #39
mbdurham
"TRF" Member

I too had a great experience with an AD after reading much on here never thought hot would happen but I was pleasantly surprised by one of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
mbdurham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 09:37 AM   #40
blown5.0
"TRF" Member

There are some great ADs out there! Unfortunately forums are usually used to commiserate and complain so we hear about poor experiences more often.
blown5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 10:53 AM   #41
GBD
"TRF" Member

That's all fine and good, but do ADs really deserve praise for just doing their actual job?
GBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 10:59 AM   #42
Danny83

Watch: Yellow Gold
They are a great dealer
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 11:16 AM   #43
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardoG View Post
Known them for 25 years. TOP NOTCH
D and D rocks

A great group of people and a class A organization.

jonnyz1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 11:22 AM   #44
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
Originally Posted by krzy View Post
Nice purchase. Just wondering why you tried to hide the name of the AD on the receipt? The paper is watermarked.
Haha...At first I didn't want to mention them because no good can come from triggering a bunch of phone calls and emails to them (they only sell in person). I noticed the watermark halfway through my "blacking out" so there it is.
ArtNouveau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 12:03 PM   #45
T-Bag
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyz1245 View Post
D and D rocks

A great group of people and a class A organization.

D and D does indeed rock!:cheers
T-Bag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 12:10 PM   #46
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
D&D is my AD. They are fantastic to work with.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 01:23 PM   #47
Grapenut

Watch: GMT(s) & Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryn View Post
All I want to do is buy a watch but nothing about this process is making me feel comfortable.
D&D is a great dealer and they are my AD in Houston. I have had a stellar experience on numerous purchases, watches & jewelry, and I have gotten some rarer SS pieces by pure timing/luck. Suggest visiting their Weslayen shop and speaking to some sales reps.

Reading the posts over the past year, the deposit item varies by dealer but I would be wary. Just make visits to various ADs, look around as you travel and hopefully something will come your way. Don't sleep on Grey Dealers or TS if the piece you are interested is not a Ceramic Daytona or BLRO.
Grapenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 01:36 PM   #48
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

nice
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 01:39 PM   #49
sparksgmt
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I do like D&D. I was in the Galleria on Valentine's day and stopped by. Typical slim stock, but no complaints on the staff. Even the police officer on guard wore a daydate.
sparksgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 01:42 PM   #50
DESH
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the numbers..
My AD is AWESOME as well- never an issue. They also go above and beyond to ensure customer satisfaction.
Old 19 February 2019, 01:59 PM   #51
cvo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 117610LN 116610LN
Yes, I concur 100%! I purchased my sub from them last summer. Very professional AD!
cvo is offline   Reply With Quote