The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 February 2019, 09:40 AM   #31
JasChCh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I have the same 3235 movement in my 126660, and have just sent it back for regulating. Unfortunately, mine will be off my wrist for some time as it has to go overseas for this.

When I first had the watch, straight out of the box it was just outside of spec, at minus 4 spd, nothing to worry about as far as I was concerned, and I was hopeful it would improve as my Tudor did when I purchased that last year also.

The Deep Sea had improved after a month or so, to be almost within specification but then got progressively worse until it was consistently losing 5-6 seconds per day.

On top of that, my local watchmaker thought the amplitude was low, but this may or may not be the case considering it was the first time he had put a 3235 on his machine.

So, I decided to send it back. I still feel torn about it, as 5 seconds per day would be something I could generally live with - but at the same time it is substantially outside of the specifications that Rolex claim for the watch, which to me is a big deal.....and I was also concerned about the potential amplitude issue.
JasChCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 12:53 PM   #32
Finfin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126600
My SD43 started life out as a -4 spd watch 9 mos ago and is now a -5 spd watch. Just can't bring myself to send it in. After a full year of ownership I might.

My other 3235 runs between -1.5 to -2 spd and my 3186 runs +1 spd.
Finfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 02:15 PM   #33
gttime
"TRF" Member

Both my SD43 and DSSD run more than 2 seconds slow per day. I would much prefer fast than slow but I’ll live with it.
gttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 02:59 PM   #34
mbdurham
"TRF" Member

SD43 Accuracy

Subscribed so far mine is perfect but wil report on accuracy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
mbdurham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 03:04 PM   #35
Investr
Banned

Watch: Constantly changes
Are we talking 2 or 3 sec or minutes? (JK) I wouldn’t even know if mine was losing or gaining a couple of minutes.
Investr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 03:22 PM   #36
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
I'm a stickler for accuracy so that -4 a day would bug me to the point of sending the watch in to RSC to be regulated, sooner rather than later.

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 06:49 PM   #37
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombros View Post
Hi guys, I have read in a old thread that the SD43 is really accurate in terms of time keeping. People say its right on the dot for monthes.

Mine is -4s a day... is this an issue I should worry about?

Sorry this is my first Rolex so kind of worried.

Thanks in advance!
No No and No again,why anyone would be worried about - 4 seconds out of 86400 in a day defeats me.Most that say there watches are spot on after many days or months IMHO are living on fantasy island. As no purely mechanical watch will keep 100% perfect time no matter the brand there could be almost daily tiny variations.Gravity affects mechanical watches the most thats why they are tested in 5 different positions,and in those different positions there will be very slight deviations in the timekeeping. The escapement of a mechanical watch in 24 hours pushes the gears 432,000 times and given the fact that the movement is constantly affected by the earth's gravity, metal expansion and contraction, temperature variations,mainspring power-reserve, subtle changes in lubrication and friction, shocks, and so on.And regulation is done on a machine in a controlled environment,but on the wrist there are many variables so could be slightly different.Just like when they test new cars for fuel mileage in a controlled environment.But it's doubtful if the new car owner will get the exact same mileage, as there are many variables like traffic, how heavy foot on gas pedal and many more.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 07:43 PM   #38
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Mine has been -0.6 s/d since May 2017. I find COSC +6/-4 acceptable even if it's supposed to be "superlative" +2/-2.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 08:09 PM   #39
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLeChic View Post
Mine has been -0.6 s/d since May 2017. I find COSC +6/-4 acceptable even if it's supposed to be "superlative" +2/-2.
Superlative have been on Rolex dials for decades,and this new -2+2 spec is little more than marketing as Omega brought it out first so Rolex had to follow.The only good thing now is after the bare uncased movements are tested to the AVERAGE -4+6 spec to get the chronometer certification.Rolex re-tests on a machine movement in its case to the -2+2 spec at time of testing it could pass just like the COSC test.But this dont mean it will perform exactly the same every single day on the wrist it could slightly vary by a second or so either way.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 19 February 2019, 08:37 PM   #40
16610v
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
The staff in Rolex Service Center told me that since there tens of thousand of watches to be made in a month so it may be possible some rolex watches regulate outside the +/-2 sec range ex-factory and it is not uncommon.
Old 19 February 2019, 09:58 PM   #41
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
My SD43 is about 1 second off a day when I give it the appropriate wrist time.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 10:47 PM   #42
JodyHighroller
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamen View Post
How do people test this? I have no idea how to tell if a watch is running fast or slow a few seconds a day.
You can use the Twixt ($9.99) or Toolwatch app. Both available in the iPhone app store.

Twixt works by taking a pic of your watch dial and marking where the seconds, minutes, and hour hands are. Very simple to use. Also works on watches without second hands (Panerai).

Toolwatch works by you touching the record button when the second hands of your watch hits the 12 o'clock position.

These apps record the precise second when these measurements were taken, and you simply repeat the same process 24 hours later. I find the Twixt app to be just a fraction more accurate vs the Toolwatch app. Simply because of reflex delays, etc.

For setting my watches, I use the atomic clocks in my home, or when on the go the Hodinkee iPhone app with built in atomic clock feature.
JodyHighroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 12:05 AM   #43
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyHighroller View Post
You can use the Twixt ($9.99) or Toolwatch app. Both available in the iPhone app store.

Twixt works by taking a pic of your watch dial and marking where the seconds, minutes, and hour hands are. Very simple to use. Also works on watches without second hands (Panerai).

Toolwatch works by you touching the record button when the second hands of your watch hits the 12 o'clock position.

These apps record the precise second when these measurements were taken, and you simply repeat the same process 24 hours later. I find the Twixt app to be just a fraction more accurate vs the Toolwatch app. Simply because of reflex delays, etc.

For setting my watches, I use the atomic clocks in my home, or when on the go the Hodinkee iPhone app with built in atomic clock feature.
Afraid today most all of these so called timing apps and loupes, can be a Rolex owners worst enemy.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 20 February 2019, 12:07 AM   #44
JodyHighroller
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Afraid today most all of these so called timing apps and loupes, can be a Rolex owners worst enemy.

I agree!

Disclaimer: use at your own risk lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JodyHighroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 02:09 AM   #45
"TRF" Member

126660 is + 0,5/day
126660 is - 3,5/day
126710 is +/- 0/day
1166600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 02:16 AM   #46
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
As no purely mechanical watch will keep 100% perfect time no matter the brand there could be almost daily tiny variations.Gravity affects mechanical watches the most thats why they are tested in 5 different positions,and in those different positions there will be very slight deviations in the timekeeping. The escapement of a mechanical watch in 24 hours pushes the gears 432,000 times and given the fact that the movement is constantly affected by the earth's gravity, metal expansion and contraction, temperature variations,mainspring power-reserve, subtle changes in lubrication and friction, shocks, and so on.And regulation is done on a machine in a controlled environment,but on the wrist there are many variables so could be slightly different.Just like when they test new cars for fuel mileage in a controlled environment.But it's doubtful if the new car owner will get the exact same mileage, as there are many variables like traffic, how heavy foot on gas pedal and many more.
Everyone should read this. Think about that 432K number in particular. Pretty amazing we are worried about a second here and a second there. Great info as always Padi
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote