The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 February 2019, 02:03 PM   #61
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

AD damaged screws and links on a new watch. Exchange watch or replace links?

Let’s be a bit more realistic...
If any of us did this damage ourselves, and the cost of remedy would come out of our own pockets, we wouldn’t rush down to get new links, or a new bracelet, or a new watch. So why would one expect more just because a third party did the damage?

I doubt the AD will do anything beyond moving the links taken out back onto the bracelet to replace the damaged ones and replace the damaged screws. Then polish and/or brush the various parts of the damaged links to look like new.

The links are still functional, would never be noticed once refinished, and be none the worse sitting in a box where they would normally reside until the watch is sold onward.

For those who are outraged at my practicality, please refer to the concept of proportionality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 02:06 PM   #62
Dean88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
I'd ask for a full replacement of the bracelet. At least replace the mangled and scratched parts. But this is going to be your word against theirs. What are you going to do when the AD claims it didn't leave his shop in that condition and someone else did the damage between you receiving it and bringing it to him? If they are this inept at making these adjustments I'd plan on them being less than forthright in their business dealings.
I would love to be a fly on the wall should that situation occur
Dean88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 02:07 PM   #63
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
The people who did that would never touch any watch of mine ever again.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 02:09 PM   #64
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanesque23 View Post
To those who suggested that I ask for a bracelet replacement, what's the advantage of this instead of asking for individual links? Are those finished differently? I'm thinking that bracelet replacement is more complicated which could then damage the case.
When a bracelet is made the screws are put in, tightened down and the heads and the threads stick out/above the outer edge a little bit. Each screw stays in each hole and its sanded down flat with the outer edge and then polished.

You can tell that by the thread end being perfectly flat and polished on one side. The screwdriver end slot you can see where the buffer kinda elongated the slot into the link and they match up perfectly. You can always tell when someone puts the screw back in the wrong link because it doesnt match up perfectly flat.

If you get say 2 links the Jeweler may do a mix and match with parts and it wont look right or be flush. If you get a new bracelet everything will be flush and unmolested. The new bracelet will match up just fine onto your watch head. I wouldnt settle for anything less, but its up to you.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 02:18 PM   #65
DLRIDES

Watch: Me
Watch exchange is doubtful, AD wil deny it was them. If so I would create a scene until links are replaced or a new bracelet is ordered.
Old 18 February 2019, 02:25 PM   #66
Jordanesque23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
When a bracelet is made the screws are put in, tightened down and the heads and the threads stick out/above the outer edge a little bit. Each screw stays in each hole and its sanded down flat with the outer edge and then polished.

You can tell that by the thread end being perfectly flat and polished on one side. The screwdriver end slot you can see where the buffer kinda elongated the slot into the link and they match up perfectly. You can always tell when someone puts the screw back in the wrong link because it doesnt match up perfectly flat.

If you get say 2 links the Jeweler may do a mix and match with parts and it wont look right or be flush. If you get a new bracelet everything will be flush and unmolested. The new bracelet will match up just fine onto your watch head. I wouldnt settle for anything less, but its up to you.
Thanks. That's good to know. I'll probably ask for three links from a new bracelet instead of the whole bracelet being replaced.
Jordanesque23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 02:28 PM   #67
Jordanesque23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
Watch exchange is doubtful, AD wil deny it was them. If so I would create a scene until links are replaced or a new bracelet is ordered.
I hope they don't deny it since it would horrible. Even the screw from the extra link they put in the ziploc is awfully mangled.
Old 18 February 2019, 02:31 PM   #68
shortsqueeze
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post

Thanks to a trusted member here, I’ve learned links can be ordered with the screws included and will provide that same perfect fit / polished finish as a new bracelet. You don’t need an entirely new bracelet, but of course it’s up to you. Replacing just the screws will not give you the same result, so opt for the replacement links with included screws at a minimum.
shortsqueeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 02:32 PM   #69
KaVo8
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes, Please!
I would ask for a full refund and find yourself another AD if there is one available in your area. The OP 39 is not that difficult to locate imho. The way they butchered that bracelet is unacceptable for any expensive timepiece, especially a Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18 February 2019, 02:36 PM   #70
Jordanesque23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Let’s be a bit more realistic...
If any of us did this damage ourselves, and the cost of remedy would come out of our own pockets, we wouldn’t rush down to get new links, or a new bracelet, or a new watch. So why would one expect more just because a third party did the damage
Because they offered to do the sizing with a reasonable expectation from the consumer that they know what they're doing and would like them to be satisfied? Did I expect much as a consumer?
Old 18 February 2019, 02:39 PM   #71
bob78h
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610
Quote:
To those who suggested that I ask for a bracelet replacement, what's the advantage of this instead of asking for individual links? Are those finished differently? I'm thinking that bracelet replacement is more complicated which could then damage the case.
I remember reading somewhere that during manufacturing, the bracelet is screwed together, then the sides are polished. So each screw can end up a slightly different length. Thats why sometimes if you take a screw out of one link and put in in another, it doesn't sit perfectly flush.
bob78h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 02:41 PM   #72
Jmatik23
"TRF" Member

Smh - I did a better job when I removed a link on my first Rolex this last Oct (yes, I did it myself - with my fathers old screwdriver kit at that).

...and still, I did a much better job.

I would request a new watch ASAP. And do not take no for an answer. Persistence is key in a situation like this.

Be nice at first, but go there ready to swing for the fences.

Who knows, maybe you end up getting the watch replaced and a Daytona at MSRP for your trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jmatik23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 02:42 PM   #73
77T

Quote:
Because they offered to do the sizing with a reasonable expectation from the consumer that they know what they're doing and would like them to be satisfied? Did I expect much as a consumer?

If you expect a new watch, or a new bracelet, or new links, I’d say perhaps you are expecting too much...

If you had caused the damage yourself, how would you remedy it?

Old 18 February 2019, 02:46 PM   #74
Jordanesque23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortsqueeze View Post
Thanks to a trusted member here, I’ve learned links can be ordered with the screws included and will provide that same perfect fit / polished finish as a new bracelet. You don’t need an entirely new bracelet, but of course it’s up to you. Replacing just the screws will not give you the same result, so opt for the replacement links with included screws at a minimum.
Thanks. This is very helpful.
Old 18 February 2019, 02:53 PM   #75
Jordanesque23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you expect a new watch, or a new bracelet, or new links, I’d say perhaps you are expecting too much...

I respectfully disagree. But I don't think it's too much to expect a brew watch when I paid for the price of a bnew one.
Old 18 February 2019, 02:53 PM   #76
DLRIDES

Watch: Me
Quote:
I hope they don't deny it since it would horrible. Even the screw from the extra link they put in the ziploc is awfully mangled.
I hope they don’t either, but sadly it’s standard operating procedure for most businesses. I truly wish you the best !

Old 18 February 2019, 02:59 PM   #77
77T

Quote:
I respectfully disagree. But I don't think it's too much to expect a brew watch when I paid for the price of a bnew one.

So what remedy would you have effected had you done this damage yourself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 18 February 2019, 03:01 PM   #78
Jordanesque23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
I hope they don’t either, but sadly it’s standard operating procedure for most businesses. I truly wish you the best !

That will be bad for business if they put the burden on the consumer. Thanks! I'll share whatever happens tomorrow.
Old 18 February 2019, 03:05 PM   #79
DonBateman
Banned

Watch: I like watch
They should be embarrassed to send that out. Ridiculous.
DonBateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 03:05 PM   #80
Jordanesque23
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This wouldn't happen since I wouldve been careful sizing.
Old 18 February 2019, 03:07 PM   #81
77T

Let’s just say you had an accident that damaged the links as you’ve shown, what would be your remedy?

Old 18 February 2019, 03:09 PM   #82
Jordanesque23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Let’s just say you had an accident that damaged the links as you’ve shown, what would be your remedy?

It wasn't an accident. It was carelessness as others have mentioned.
Old 18 February 2019, 03:11 PM   #83
77T

I can see you’re uncomfortable answering the question. HAGD

Old 18 February 2019, 03:16 PM   #84
Jackumi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB, 116713LN
Quote:

Sorry but I cannot agree with you, Rolex watches are very expensive. If you equate a Rolex watch to the equivalent level of car you would be talking say a Porsche or high end Merc. If a dealer delivered my new porsche to me and chewed up an alloy on a curb I would expect them to replace the wheel. I do not care that the next day I may do the same thing, that is not the point.
Jackumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 03:18 PM   #85
Jordanesque23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I can see you’re uncomfortable answering the question. HAGD

I don't think that we're on the same page. I shared my experience based on what happened. You were asking me about hypothetical questions.

Anyway I appreciate the time for reading thread. HAGD as well.
Old 18 February 2019, 03:30 PM   #86
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Quote:

Grab a hammer and beat my own skull repeatedly.

After I recover, go buy new links so it looks professional.

Seriously though, if anyone thinks this is acceptable AD behavior I applaud your acceptance of low standards...I wish I had that ability.
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 03:31 PM   #87
77T

Quote:
I don't think that we're on the same page. I shared my experience based on what happened. You were asking me about hypothetical questions.

Anyway I appreciate the time for reading thread. HAGD as well.

Old 18 February 2019, 03:36 PM   #88
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsfull View Post
Grab a hammer and beat my own skull repeatedly.

After I recover, go buy new links so it looks professional.

Seriously though, if anyone thinks this is acceptable AD behavior I applaud your acceptance of low standards...I wish I had that ability.

I hope not on both accounts.

You know the RSC and certified watchmakers handle this every day with great skill that nobody could tell.

Those damaged links are about 20 minutes’ worth of polishing/brushing. 2 new screws and you’re done.

Old 18 February 2019, 03:43 PM   #89
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackumi View Post
Sorry but I cannot agree with you, Rolex watches are very expensive. If you equate a Rolex watch to the equivalent level of car you would be talking say a Porsche or high end Merc. If a dealer delivered my new porsche to me and chewed up an alloy on a curb I would expect them to replace the wheel. I do not care that the next day I may do the same thing, that is not the point.

I chew up rims all the time so have a wheel expert grinding and polishing every year.

If a dealer’s driver or tech did that, then the fair remedy is to refinish the rim like new. But we can disagree.

The theory of proportionality is to not take advantage of the other person to take more than you’d do for yourself. That is the point I was making.

Old 18 February 2019, 03:51 PM   #90
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Quote:

I hope not on both accounts.

You know the RSC and certified watchmakers handle this every day with great skill that nobody could tell.

Those damaged links are about 20 minutes’ worth of polishing/brushing. 2 new screws and you’re done.

Dependson the RSC. Ive seen some trainwrecks.

The problem is...they are no longer ‘new’ but refurbished.

Screws are ground and polished At the factory so each link has its ‘dedicated’ screw. If you place a new screw into a link, it will not be fitted like it would from the factory. Yes, you can refinish the link to make it flush....but just not as nice as the machines. :(
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote