The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 April 2020, 01:56 PM   #1
Thekingstaystheking7
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
The Pursuit of ... Contentment

Recently more than ever I’ve been contemplating the fact that buying a valuebale watch doesn’t make me happy so to say. I’ve been into watches for most of my life . Remember being 18 and buying myself my first luxury watch, was a great feeling ... then it faded out . Remember buying myself my first Rolex at 20 , was a great feeling ... then it faded out. Part of me loved the watch, being young and naive part of me also wanted others to notice me because of my watch. Over the years nickle and diming, buying, selling, flipping, giving watches... I have a collection quite a lot of people would be proud of but still... not much feeling there. To this day I carry the theory around with me in my mind that “it’s cool untill you own it” and damn that hits home with me, big time.
Recently more than ever it’s so much about what’s in at the moment or “what’s hot”. Wrist watches being glorified and more popular than it seems ever before has sort of chipped away at the armour for me so to speak. I don’t exactly know what I’m trying to necessarily get at here but maybe one day I’ll feel fulfilled with my watch(es), maybe one day I might not own a watch at all, but untill then I am still on the pursuit of ... contentment.
Thekingstaystheking7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2020, 01:59 PM   #2
Jonah10
"TRF" Member

“It’s cool until you own it” I’ve reached this conclusion with everything I’ve worked hard to buy lol. Then when people compliment me on it I wonder why? It’s just a watch or a car? Nothing special, I think it’s human nature, you always look what’s next and get bored. This is why it’s important not to value materialistic things, they can always be replaced or upgraded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jonah10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2020, 02:03 PM   #3
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
It takes a while to get there, but once you are it's pretty freakin nice... and your wallet and family will be very happy.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2020, 02:03 PM   #4
Theoffice
"TRF" Member

Watch: Chnr, hulk, sub d
Sell it all, sounds like this isn’t for you , maybe another hobby like cars ?
Theoffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2020, 02:58 PM   #5
AshCashEmAll
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 114060
There will always be a better watch, nicer car, and more attractive partner. What’s important is to learn to be happy and appreciative for what we have. It’s a practice that I must remind myself everyday. If we can’t appreciate the great things we are just endlessly chasing.

AshCashEmAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2020, 05:50 PM   #6
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshCashEmAll View Post
There will always be a better watch, nicer car, and more attractive partner. What’s important is to learn to be happy and appreciative for what we have. It’s a practice that I must remind myself everyday. If we can’t appreciate the great things we are just endlessly chasing.

This could be the problem...?

Better, Nicer and More Attractive are in the eye of the beholder.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2020, 03:01 PM   #7
steversaurus
"TRF" Member

Like a lot of things, it's more the journey or the thrill of the chase that sticks with you.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
steversaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2020, 03:58 PM   #8
horseShu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aqua Terra
Sounds like you should try a smart watch.
Something that's more about features rather than looks and bling.
horseShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2020, 04:34 PM   #9
Ihatecheese
Banned

I won't bestow too much internet wisdom. But if material items bring contentment then it's wise to look at what the reason is for this. Good to understand the itch rather than continue to scratch.

I've often bought things to cheer me up. It's very short term. Gifting people is longer lasting from my limited experience.
Or just go and buy loads more stuff and be happy for a bit! :)
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2020, 05:13 PM   #10
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
I understand the sentiment and can relate.

I bought a Speedmaster because it was a popular choice among enthusiasts. “Every watch guy needs a Speedmaster in their collection”.

Baloney...

It is a fools errand to chase what is popular because in the end you are chasing someone else’s ideal.

Define your own ideal, chase that, acquire it. Even if it means an empty wrist.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2020, 06:20 PM   #11
Oldfellow
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post

I bought a Speedmaster because it was a popular choice among enthusiasts. “Every watch guy needs a Speedmaster in their collection”.

Baloney...

It is a fools errand to chase what is popular because in the end you are chasing someone else’s ideal.

Agree wholeheartedly.
Oldfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2020, 09:41 PM   #12
DaveDhc
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Baloney...

I also chased down a Speedmaster Hesalite Crystal. And to me, it is an important watch for historical reasons, not popularity. I understand the sentiment "Everyone should have a speedmaster", but I don't think it has anything to do with popularity. What I love about it is that when I look into the dial, I see what Buzz and Neil saw when they were on the moon. Turns out I don't even wear the watch. I find winding it is unpleasant and so I just keep it safe and fresh at home. I love taking it out and enjoying just holding it and appreciating it.
DaveDhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 01:21 AM   #13
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
“Every watch guy needs a Speedmaster in their collection”.

Baloney...
True. But don't shout too loud. All those YouTwitFace warriors with millions of followers live by such facile and crass pronunciations. You'll spoil it for them!
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2020, 05:33 PM   #14
Kirsty87
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date 36mm
I get what you are saying.
My father was a man who attempted to patch up emotional holes in his life, with material goods...and it never worked.
Sure, he got that buyers high that you allude to, but it always faded. He never found his contentment, but I learned from his mistakes, and I learned that lusting after material goods is a life spent wrong. It robs you of the 'here and now'. It wrongly conditions you to think that happiness or contentment is a destination, or a state that is achieved via exchanging money for 'x'.
Kirsty87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2020, 05:40 PM   #15
icnbne
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Omega Seiko
Cant say I’m the same, while I don’t derive happiness solely from watches (or other valuables for that matter) once I attain something I lust after it puts a smile on my face every time. Not necessarily because I’ve worked so hard for it (I did) but more so because I know I’ve made the right choices not just in my watch purchase but the journey in attaining these things

All the best mate, but if you're unhappy in another aspect of your life, no amount of material goods will change that, I’d say find the cause and nip it in the bud
icnbne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2020, 06:05 PM   #16
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Brave post for a Rolex forum, and I know what you mean. I think most of us can relate on some level, especially if we've owned more than a few. Actually, I think that's what kills it, for some. Saving up for years and buying one and keeping it for decades (hardly thinking about it afterwards), is very probably much healthier. Having loads of them, flipping, collecting etc. leads to 'de-sensitisation', buyer's remorse and so on... Maybe offload what you have and buy or keep one great all-rounder. Good luck!
Old 27 April 2020, 07:17 PM   #17
colpol
"TRF" Member

I’ve added watches/ bikes over the years but certainly don’t lose interest in anything I acquire. In fact often the exact opposite. The longer I’ve had something - more I tend to appreciate.

Had the Honda since 2004
The seamaster since 1998

If I was you I’d take a break from buying for rest of year
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E6B3FC62-DB4D-4F94-8930-761048369CF0.jpeg (159.1 KB, 929 views)
File Type: jpeg A5005A76-28C8-4968-8069-94716F64CFB3.jpeg (101.6 KB, 932 views)
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2020, 07:38 PM   #18
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
I guess I can relate. I love my watches but the minute I buy one I start obsessing about the next one. Definitely wish it could stop and I will go as far as saying that sometimes I think about selling them all and just keeping my first sub to teach myself a lesson.

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2020, 07:39 PM   #19
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

I get what you're saying OP, and I'm sure most can relate. I have a habit of obsessing over a watch until I finally acquire it, and then it's onto obsessing over the next one almost immediately...

I find the occasional little social media detox, spending time with family/friends and doing other hobbies etc. help curtail this and allows me to appreciate what I already have. A little difficult at the moment during lockdown, but it is possible.

There's the old saying that you should never meet your heroes...
nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2020, 08:54 PM   #20
NeoAnderson
"TRF" Member

Best part is wanting something and the journey to getting it. Once you get it you realize its just a thing. Rinse repeat. Thats why trends/style change to keep you in the cycle. The most happy people I knew dont care for luxury goods.
NeoAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2020, 09:05 PM   #21
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Sorry I can’t relate.

Every single one of my watches is part of my journey in some way. I remember the point in time when I bought it, why I bought it, and where it’s been with me.

When I look at them they tell more than just the time, they tell a story.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2020, 09:23 PM   #22
Little machines
"TRF" Member

Live in the present and being content at this moment in your life and you’ll have everything you need !
Little machines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2020, 09:24 PM   #23
yachty 1
"TRF" Member

Watch: yacht master
I definitely can relate. I remember when I got my first Rolex Submariner in 1999. I was so happy and excited. I wore the Sh$t out of it for many years. To me that was the best watch I ever owned. Then the chase began. I rifled through many brands from AP, Hublot,Breitling etc..I wish I can go back to that first Submariner...
yachty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2020, 10:22 PM   #24
Yachtbuoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1603
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachty 1 View Post
I definitely can relate. I remember when I got my first Rolex Submariner in 1999. I was so happy and excited. I wore the Sh$t out of it for many years. To me that was the best watch I ever owned. Then the chase began. I rifled through many brands from AP, Hublot,Breitling etc..I wish I can go back to that first Submariner...
I can kind of relate to this, except with my first Rolex (being a 1603). I've reduced the size of my collection to having a dress watch, a dive watch, and my Rolex and for the first time in my watch collecting experience, I feel really content. Yes my 1603 needs work, but it's a great feeling and I look forward to having this one really good watch.
Yachtbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2020, 09:32 PM   #25
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I realized the same about myself. It’s the thrill of the chase, the buildup the dopamine high at buying, and then that rush goes. For me at least, the way to combat this was to pare down to a couple watches, watches that were meaningful. In my case one was a surprise gift from my wife, the other a Christmas gift from my now deceased mother, a Speedmaster I bought to celebrate 10 years in practice, and my seiko arnie. Seeing that watch in the early and mid 80’s started it all for me. So while I get antsy about new watches and hatch schemes to obtain more, I know it’s not going to happen. For me the collection is set, I told myself no more new luxury pieces until the kids are out of college (for me that is quite some time). I enjoy reading and thinking about them, but am putting those dollars into other things.

But as some have said above, my watches do tell a story too, but when the collection gets so large it sees only a few weeks of wrist time each year, they do not take on any real meaning beside the name on the dial. What makes watches special is when they get associated with the events in your life. This kind of thing simply cannot happen in large and constantly evolving (I.e flipping/trading) collections.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2020, 09:39 PM   #26
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
At the end of the day even the most sought after Rolex is still just a watch. Just a hunk of metal and some parts. It has no soul, no feelings no emotions. It can’t recognize when you are down and cheer you up. It can’t make us happy. I feel alot of people on this forum don’t realize it.

To leave you with a John Candy quote from Cool Runnings:

“A gold medal is a wonderful thing. But if you’re not enough without it, you’ll never be enough with it.”
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2020, 09:45 PM   #27
DaveDhc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
At the end of the day even the most sought after Rolex is still just a watch. Just a hunk of metal and some parts. It has no soul, no feelings no emotions. It can’t recognize when you are down and cheer you up. It can’t make us happy. I feel alot of people on this forum don’t realize it.

To leave you with a John Candy quote from Cool Runnings:

“A gold medal is a wonderful thing. But if you’re not enough without it, you’ll never be enough with it.”
This doesn't describe my experience with watches. They do make me happy and they do have a soul to them. I think what you describe sounds depressing and if we all felt that way, this forum wouldn't exist. I love my watches. They are a bright sunny part of my life.
DaveDhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2020, 10:02 PM   #28
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDhc View Post
This doesn't describe my experience with watches. They do make me happy and they do have a soul to them. I think what you describe sounds depressing and if we all felt that way, this forum wouldn't exist. I love my watches. They are a bright sunny part of my life.
Glad to hear they bring you joy for now. Although one day you may start feeling like the OP when you realize they really are just watches. Nothing more and nothing less. They do make for a fun hobby though
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 05:36 PM   #29
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDhc View Post
Well said
Old 28 April 2020, 05:34 PM   #30
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

edit