The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 30 April 2012, 12:11 PM   #1621
DJJon
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ - Need Sub Bad
Chris,

I have found this thread to read like a great book. I always smile when I see a new post and hurry to the Last Page to see what new insight you have offerded.

Surfing to read TRF almost daily can be very rewarding and addicting. A major part of this obsession for me has been hoping to see an update to your epic, monumental Ask an Insider Thread. It is a compelling part of this obsession.

Thanks for all you have done for all of us TRF members.
Old 30 April 2012, 02:20 PM   #1622
w4rmk
Banned

Watch: Deepsea D-Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyyu View Post
Hi Insider, can you help me on my recent purchase?

I just bought a ladies datejust, black dial. (Rolex Ladies WG & SS Black Stick DateJust 79174). I bought it around $3,200 from a LA dealer. The dealer says it's a 2003 model, K serial. I received it in perfect condition.
However, when I went to a local watch shop to prove authentic, the owner told me that I paid too much one this one although it's 100% authentic.

It's still in the return period, so I wanna know is the price really too high?
If so, how much one should pay for a watch like this?

Thanks for your time
The price you paid seems to be in line retail prices you'd expect at an aftermarket watch shop/jeweler. Here are some sample 79174's I found along with prices:

http://rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=227307
http://forums.watchnet.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=544269
http://www.bobswatches.com/ladies-us...del-79174.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAeUJr9S5XQ
Old 30 April 2012, 02:26 PM   #1623
threemonkeys
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc, AK, LVc
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMT Master View Post
Hi Craig,

I think it may just be that the cal. 3186 has a slightly different construction to the cal. 3130. The GMT IIc is quoted as having the same c. 40 hour power reserve, so it may be that there's a slightly different clutch mechanism on the mainspring. I wonder if any technical geniuses have the definitive answer?

All the best,

Chris
Thanks, Chris. It is weird because I've never maxed out on turning the crown. It just keeps a winding...
Old 30 April 2012, 02:39 PM   #1624
tommyyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4rmk View Post
The price you paid seems to be in line retail prices you'd expect at an aftermarket watch shop/jeweler. Here are some sample 79174's I found along with prices:

Thank you so much for the research!

I guess the price I paid is just ok, given it's from a big dealership and I got 3yrs warranty from them (probably not gonna use it anyway).

Thanks again!
Old 30 April 2012, 11:48 PM   #1625
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairdude1 View Post
Thank you for what you had done/answered in this thread!
It's been my pleasure
Old 30 April 2012, 11:51 PM   #1626
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticMoose View Post
Congratulations! Anything watch-related?

I'll get one last question in before then, I guess.

I've heard from someone who has spoken with an AD about it that newer ceramic TT Subs have a darker blue color than the first ones that left the factory in 2009.

I can imagine you've seen a few come and go, is this something that you can confirm or deny?
I've been offered a place at the head office of a large fashion and home chain here in the UK, so although watches play a small part in their business, it's unlikely that I'll be dealing with them directly. Even if I was, it's mainly their own brand fashion pieces, so it'll be very different to what I'm used to now

Well, to tell the truth, we haven't bothered stocking the blue for a long time, I think we've only ever had the one in, and it was pretty difficult to move on. The black seems to be the right choice from a sales point of view - as such, I can't actually remember the last time I handled a blue ceramic Sub! Afraid I can't confirm or deny this one

Chris
Old 30 April 2012, 11:54 PM   #1627
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZZN View Post
I'll get one last question in too, in that case :) And once again, thanks for this thread, and thanks for answering my previous questions - it's all very much appreciated.

How often have you seen someone bring an Oysterquartz in for servicing, in your time there ? I'm just curious to get some kind of feel for how many Oysterquartz owners come through the doors, relative to the Oyster Perpetuals.
I've only ever handled one Oysterquartz, and that was fairly soon after I had first started actually. It's pretty rare for one to come in, I guess they're a relatively niche item!

Chris
Old 30 April 2012, 11:56 PM   #1628
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a l e x View Post
Hi Chris,

Which Milgauss has been the most popular? I'm going to buy the white soon and think its by far the nicest! I suppose like you said, it's definitely a love/hate thing!

Where in the UK are you? The only AD near me closed recently so on the look out!

Thanks.
Hi Alex,

By a long way it's the GV - we sell the odd black dial, and the white dial is the least asked about. Ironically, it's my favourite of the Milgauss range too, it's completely bonkers, I love it for that!

As for where I am, a PM is on its way

Chris
Old 1 May 2012, 12:00 AM   #1629
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi Insider, can you help me on my recent purchase?

I just bought a ladies datejust, black dial. (Rolex Ladies WG & SS Black Stick DateJust 79174). I bought it around $3,200 from a LA dealer. The dealer says it's a 2003 model, K serial. I received it in perfect condition.
However, when I went to a local watch shop to prove authentic, the owner told me that I paid too much one this one although it's 100% authentic.

It's still in the return period, so I wanna know is the price really too high?
If so, how much one should pay for a watch like this?

Thanks for your time

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4rmk View Post

Quote:
Thank you so much for the research!

I guess the price I paid is just ok, given it's from a big dealership and I got 3yrs warranty from them (probably not gonna use it anyway).

Thanks again!
Another problem solved Thanks for answering this one, it's one I wouldn't have known the answer to

Chris
Old 1 May 2012, 12:01 AM   #1630
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJon View Post
Chris,

I have found this thread to read like a great book. I always smile when I see a new post and hurry to the Last Page to see what new insight you have offerded.

Surfing to read TRF almost daily can be very rewarding and addicting. A major part of this obsession for me has been hoping to see an update to your epic, monumental Ask an Insider Thread. It is a compelling part of this obsession.

Thanks for all you have done for all of us TRF members.
I'm glad you've enjoyed the thread so much, Jon, thankyou for your kind words!

Chris
Old 1 May 2012, 12:09 AM   #1631
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by threemonkeys View Post
Thanks, Chris. It is weird because I've never maxed out on turning the crown. It just keeps a winding...
It could be a GMT-specific quirk...I don't know if it's just my imagination, but the winding motion seems a bit smoother on the GMT compared to some other models

Chris
Old 3 May 2012, 10:36 PM   #1632
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Well, I've got the start date for my new job - June 6. Just a little over a month left, folks
Old 3 May 2012, 10:56 PM   #1633
MoBe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well, I've got the start date for my new job - June 6. Just a little over a month left, folks
What will we do without you,who will we turn to,oh no,we`re lost.

D-Day no less,how historic !
Old 3 May 2012, 11:03 PM   #1634
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBe View Post
What will we do without you,who will we turn to,oh no,we`re lost.

D-Day no less,how historic !
You can bombard my little brother with questions instead
Old 3 May 2012, 11:06 PM   #1635
Lanfor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner-16610LV
Quote:
You can bombard my little brother with questions instead
Thanks Chris
Old 3 May 2012, 11:09 PM   #1636
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanfor View Post
Thanks Chris
Speak of the devil! Your ears must have been burning Matt :P
Old 3 May 2012, 11:16 PM   #1637
Lanfor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner-16610LV
Quote:
Speak of the devil! Your ears must have been burning Matt :P
They certainly are...
Old 4 May 2012, 04:56 AM   #1638
tommyyu

hi guys. i have another question about the datejust.

i bought a ladies 26mm datejust K serial (2001-2003), black dial and white words on.
then i compared it with my men's air king 34mm, also K serial, black dial and white words on.

i noticed the words on the ladies datejust is significantly darker than the words on the air king.

is it normal because the smaller size of the watch? or is it because the words get darker throughout time which means my air king is newer than the datejust?

thank you for reading
Old 4 May 2012, 05:34 AM   #1639
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
hi guys. i have another question about the datejust.

i bought a ladies 26mm datejust K serial (2001-2003), black dial and white words on.
then i compared it with my men's air king 34mm, also K serial, black dial and white words on.

i noticed the words on the ladies datejust is significantly darker than the words on the air king.

is it normal because the smaller size of the watch? or is it because the words get darker throughout time which means my air king is newer than the datejust?

thank you for reading
I wouldn't worry about it too much - the exact paints, font sizes, font types etc. change quite a lot when it comes to Rolex, particularly so with different watches

Chris
Old 4 May 2012, 05:36 AM   #1640
tommyyu

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it too much - the exact paints, font sizes, font types etc. change quite a lot when it comes to Rolex, particularly so with different watches

Chris
Thank you so much for the quick response!

No worries any more
Old 4 May 2012, 06:09 PM   #1641
Toivonen
"TRF" Member

Watch: SeaDweller Deepsea
Quote:
Guys like TRF members are my worst nightmare! In seriousness, the ones who take a very close interest in the watch do require more attention, but that's what they expect. I like to tailor my interaction to suit each customer, you get a feel for how much information (and what kind) of information to pass on.

I have had it in the past where, for example, a customer says he's not happy with the alignment of his bezel. I'll take a look at it, even under magnification, and won't find anything wrong with it, but I won't argue if the customer insists. I'll pop it back down to the manufacturer, and let them see if they can see the issue better than I can. With any issue on a watch, we will always pursue a course of returning it under guarantee to the manufacturer. We will only replace the watch if there is something terminally wrong with the watch, that a guarantee service doesn't fix. We've had to replace a watch relatively recently from another brand, but that was mainly due to a serious design problem with the movement itself, so much so that the manufacturer has now removed that model from sale - indeed, the customer had problems with the replacement too, and asked for a refund, which we obliged without argument. Needless to say, we're looking to drop the brand now. We've certainly not had such serious problems with a Rolex, at least in the three years I've been working at the shop.

Warranty cards can be replaced if a watch is returned - if it is not as a result of an issue with a watch (i.e. the watch is an unwanted gift, the owner changed their mind etc.), then there is normally a charge of £50 for a replacement guarantee - the process can take a long time too, several weeks, hence we try to avoid it, as it means we have a watch we can't sell in stock. If the problem was serious enough though, Rolex will always look after the customer - they are very good on this, the after-sales care provided by them is probably amongst the best offered by any brand
hi chris,thank you very much for your infos :)

i would like to ask you to explain with more details that procedure,because before reading this post i was sure it was impossible returning the watch or replacing the cards

thank you!
Old 8 May 2012, 02:01 AM   #1642
leica
"TRF" Member

Does the new ceramic sub comes with the nifty anchor?
Old 8 May 2012, 03:13 AM   #1643
hard8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toivonen View Post
hi chris,thank you very much for your infos :)

i would like to ask you to explain with more details that procedure,because before reading this post i was sure it was impossible returning the watch or replacing the cards

thank you!
only stockists can get the cards reissued. i.e. they sell the watch, it is returned for whatever reason, so they send it back to rolex who will inspect the watch, undertake any light work on the watch to restore it to "brand new" condition, and issue a new warranty card.
Old 8 May 2012, 05:07 AM   #1644
AMCK87
Banned

Chris, love this thread. Hoping to have a relatively simple question answered that I'm sure someone has probably already asked you.

I keep hearing the the green sub is rare and hard to find, but with a little bit of prodding, every AD seems to have one "in the back." Same with the Milgauss GV and SS Daytonas. Why are ADs reluctant to put them in the showcase? Do you in fact get much less of those models vs. the standard black sub/gmt etc. or is this something that Rolex wants you to do to artificially increase the demand?

Thanks for all your insight and best of luck in the new position!
Old 8 May 2012, 09:35 AM   #1645
Toivonen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hard8 View Post
only stockists can get the cards reissued. i.e. they sell the watch, it is returned for whatever reason, so they send it back to rolex who will inspect the watch, undertake any light work on the watch to restore it to "brand new" condition, and issue a new warranty card.
Stockist=AD?
i would like to know every possible detail about that from Chris
Old 8 May 2012, 09:53 AM   #1646
mrbill2mrbill2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Chris

Best of luck on your new venture. I am sure you will do well. Thanks for all you have done and keep us TRFers posted.

MrBill

Old 10 May 2012, 01:40 AM   #1647
Toivonen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbill2mrbill2 View Post
Chris

Best of luck on your new venture. I am sure you will do well. Thanks for all you have done and keep us TRFers posted.

MrBill

hope he'll answer to me before starting his new work
Old 13 May 2012, 07:40 AM   #1648
watchstuff
"TRF" Member

Availability of SD and other popular models?

Hi Chris,

Have read your posts from the start of this thread and it's been a great read Thanks for all your insight.

Just a question about the current Submariner Date, I've enquired at my local AD about ordering and putting a deposit down for one before I got my GMT, but they stated a deposit would still not guarantee me the watch?

Would you be able to enlighten us on the allocation process for popular models like the SD? What advice can you give to a customer who would either like to see a watch that you don't have in stock eg like the SD or if I'd made up my mind and wished to place an order for the SD to be able to get one asap?

Thanks for any insight into the buying process.
Cheers.
Dan
Old 19 May 2012, 09:40 AM   #1649
Boothroyd
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
Chris, have very much appreciated the info, and as one said, reading the thread is like reading a book. Thank you!

A question about PCL's in general, specifically the to the GMT IIc. Has your shop ever buffed out Polished Center Links for customers, and if so, how has it turned out? Love the GMT IIc, but really dislike PCL's? Any experience with this?

Thanks once again and best of luck in the new endeavor!!
Old 19 May 2012, 10:58 AM   #1650
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I believe it is still a question of 'if' rather than 'then' at present. I do know that Rolex are working on it: I also know that they will only bring it out if they can make a solid, continuous and singular piece of ceramic. Furthermore, I know that they can do red ceramic, and that they can do blue ceramic: the difficulty is getting them together in one piece without the colours bleeding, as the ceramics fire at different temperatures. If it is physically possible for them to create a bi-colour ceramic disc, then Rolex's R&D department will be the guys to discover it
Keep me updated on this. It's one of the few reasons I am holding out on purchasing the GMTIIC as it stands now.
Closed Thread