The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 23 November 2017, 02:58 AM   #31
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
Thoughts on preordering 2019 Corvette ZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Mickol View Post
No Gunter, not me. I am on the Corvette Forum and also use my real name. I hang out a lot in the C6 section.

If it wasn’t for the Rolex Forum, I’d probably be in a C7 GS vert. I just figure the watches don’t have to be put to bed for the winter. I get more use out of them.

My 2012 GS came from MacMalkin. I had it shipped right to my front door in Little Egg Harbor. A pleasure to work with them. Being #2 they’re easier to deal with. My first two were ordered by me through Kerbeck. They are terrible on trade-in, but great pricing.

Barrett Jackson will probably get #1 and Hendricks will get the car. Next Jay Leno #2 and third probably Charlie Kerbeck. Then hopefully you’ll get number 4.

I’m on Corvetteforum too just haven’t been on since I got rid of my C6 and got heavily into fishing. Should’ve stayed with the car. It doesn’t cost $1k to fill up. I lived in cape May for 6 years. I did buy the Corsas on Corvetteforum though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 03:04 AM   #32
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
Just took the ferry over from Delaware last week and met some old NJ friends in Cape May. Great little town.

Have a great Thanksgiving.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 03:07 AM   #33
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I wish they'd do something a little different with the lines of the car. It's totally subjective, but IMO it's too boy racer for my taste. I much prefer the older body styles.

Incredible car though nonetheless.
They had to do something. Sales were on a steady decline for over a decade and this new Corvette has been a good seller for Chevrolet. The interiors are far better now than any Corvette before too which has long been a complaint of mine about the car.

I think it looks great. I'd consider buying one.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 03:10 AM   #34
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
I’m on Corvetteforum too just haven’t been on since I got rid of my C6 and got heavily into fishing. Should’ve stayed with the car. It doesn’t cost $1k to fill up. I lived in cape May for 6 years. I did buy the Corsas on Corvetteforum though.

My friends and I are into fishing. We thought about buying a boat but really the cost and maintenance is hard to justify especially when there are so many great long range fishing boats out of San Diego you can go out on for a few days at a time. They feed you well, they are fairly comfortable and for a $1300-1500 per trip they really are a bargain. Cost is obviously higher for the 7-10 day trips but they catch the big cow tuna on those trips.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 05:10 AM   #35
Kimber007
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP
Do it! Best car for the money IMO. I've owned nothing but Mustang's my entire life (still own 3) until earlier this year. I bought a brand new Stingray with 10 miles on it and the car is incredible. Will be sticking to Corvette for awhile now. Also, orange is the best color to get it in

Here's a pic of mine:
Kimber007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 08:18 AM   #36
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber007 View Post
Do it! Best car for the money IMO. I've owned nothing but Mustang's my entire life (still own 3) until earlier this year. I bought a brand new Stingray with 10 miles on it and the car is incredible. Will be sticking to Corvette for awhile now. Also, orange is the best color to get it in

Here's a pic of mine:

I really loved the atomic orange. A buddy of mine had one of the very rare Atomic Orange Z06s and loved that car. I was really close to adding a wide body kit to my DSOM because I really needed bigger tires. But just never got around to it. Your stingray is awesome!!!

Old 23 November 2017, 08:24 AM   #37
Magwitch
Banned

Stick to the track.
Magwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 08:55 AM   #38
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I just took my 95 out to put some miles on it, I garage it here in Phoenix and only drive it a couple times a year (long story). That’s one reason it only has 46,000 miles. It may not be a Z, or anything close, but I sure enjoy driving it.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 09:58 AM   #39
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
I agree but I believe it’s trying to adjust weight distribution for performance. But I’m no engineer.

At least you'll know you've got the last front engine ZR1 if you keep it forever
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 10:28 AM   #40
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulansx View Post
At least you'll know you've got the last front engine ZR1 if you keep it forever
Great point.

Could make it a serious classic.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 02:39 PM   #41
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Really think the 8 will be mid-engine ?
Old 23 November 2017, 03:34 PM   #42
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post

It will be. Prototypes are already out. Coming next year and not time to change.

Old 23 November 2017, 03:48 PM   #43
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Oh it’s coming. And I guarantee witha close to a $180-200k price....

Old 23 November 2017, 05:14 PM   #44
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yep I think it's unavoidable. I'm not sure it's the best move for the bulk of their sales though along with service costs but we'll see how it goes. I've got my eye on a C6 ZR1 . Great deals to be had on the previous "king of the hill" 4 cam C4 ZR-1 these days. That would be an awesome car to have in a collection. That car was a big deal for a long time!
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Old 24 November 2017, 02:08 AM   #45
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yep I think it's unavoidable. I'm not sure it's the best move for the bulk of their sales though along with service costs but we'll see how it goes. I've got my eye on a C6 ZR1 . Great deals to be had on the previous "king of the hill" 4 cam C4 ZR-1 these days. That would be an awesome car to have in a collection. That car was a big deal for a long time!

The C6 ZR1 is a steal right now for what you get. 638 HP is still PLENTY. When they came out I wasn’t sure about reliability but I know guys that track them all the time and drive them home. Only crappy part is the minor fortune spent on tires. My C6 ate Michelin PS2s in a few weekends if I spent a lot of track time. I did become good friends with tire rack though lol. My dads best friend had a C4 Zin 93 or 94. I was so astonished then that a car was that expensive. Now my truck costs that....

Old 24 November 2017, 08:48 AM   #46
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Still rumors that they will offer a mid engine and front engine car for the C8.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 01:38 PM   #47
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber007 View Post
Best car for the money
Hands down.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 08:01 PM   #48
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Still rumors that they will offer a mid engine and front engine car for the C8.

That would be a good call on their part but from a manufacturing standpoint, not sure how they can support it.
Old 25 November 2017, 12:14 AM   #49
s14roller
"TRF" Member

I love the C7 design and the ZR1 will be killer. I do think for $200K optioned, it does open up a lot of choices and I'd be tempted to go more the route of low miles 458/Huracan.
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2017, 12:11 PM   #50
achenator
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdex75 View Post
They all have gone up in price dramatically. Almost inexplicably. I lease a new truck (Silverado High Country) every 2 1/2 years. My last was a 2015. Loaded up was about $53,000. New 2017 I just got, same exact equipment, $57,000. Crazy. I call it the F150 effect. The Platinum and Limited F150 is in the mid $60,000s and they sell like hot cakes. GM had headroom to raise prices and they did. Now I have to admit the 2017 does have Apple car play and HID headlights

On the other hand. Wife drove Yukon Denali’s. Think we had 4 of them. Last new one was 2014. $56,000 msrp. Now, $75,000 msrp. I know the new one is way better, but $20,000??? They got into GL and LX range and that is not a good place for them to try to play. They are not near the build quality of MB or Lexus.

Well you can probably get 5-8k off a Yukon pretty easily keeping it in the 60's. Isn't an LX well into the 90's with almost no discount? Big difference IMO
achenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2017, 12:31 PM   #51
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14roller View Post
I love the C7 design and the ZR1 will be killer. I do think for $200K optioned, it does open up a lot of choices and I'd be tempted to go more the route of low miles 458/Huracan.

If it does reach $200k I think it will hurt sales but coming from someone that was in a corvette club for a few years owners are a special breed. Imho. Similar to a true Rolex fanatic. They will pay premiums for what they love. But I really don’t think even with every option it will get close to $200k. And let’s not forget that a Ferrari is so much more to maintain. I know everything is a guess now but Car and Driver est a base price around $120k. I figure loaded up add another $35k or so but believe me I’m just guessing. I am really eager to see if it will beat the 7 min mark at the Ring will be amazing considering most cars in that class are $500k cars (except the Viper ACR and the $300k Porsche GT2 RS. All in all it’s what you want. No one needs a car that fast but no one needs a $1000000 Patek or a $450m DaVinci either.

Old 25 November 2017, 01:51 PM   #52
sfc rick
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Sub in white
Love the new mid engine C8, but I will just keep this mild mannered Supercharged 700hp C5 for the next few years...still have plenty of smiles left in it.

sfc rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2017, 06:22 PM   #53
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfc rick View Post
Love the new mid engine C8, but I will just keep this mild mannered Supercharged 700hp C5 for the next few years...still have plenty of smiles left in it.

That is pretty epic!
Old 26 November 2017, 12:01 AM   #54
1st amg
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
This is my brothers car, 2016 Z06 and it is a monster in the track. Incredible performance.....respect. I can’t imagine the ZR1.

1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2017, 12:11 AM   #55
Sprta
"TRF" Member

Corvette best bang for the $$$$. Best prices I have seen historically have been from Kerbeck. Usually has 150 vettes on site.
ZR1 is a real beast.
Love my 2013 last year of the C6.
Sprta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2017, 06:57 AM   #56
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
This is my brothers car, 2016 Z06 and it is a monster in the track. Incredible performance.....respect. I can’t imagine the ZR1.

That is so beautiful. Oh the new Z06 is a mean machine. I’ve driven it and the C6 ZR1 and I’m a good driver not great but the Z06 is faster and I’m not scared I’m going to wreck it every time I put my foot down. The sc in the ZR1 put a lot of torque out at really low rpm. It was like trying to ride an unbroken horse. My C6 that had about 750 hp to the wheels used a centrifugal SC that didn’t really start opening up until about 3000 rpm. I’d say the C7 Z06 has a lot better driver aids. Everyone that buys a car like that isn’t Lewis Hamilton. (Don’t forget he wrecked his Zonda LH760 not to long ago in Monaco).
On Corvetteforum there was a C4 with 500k. Pretty dang impressive.

We have this Z06 on the showroom now. Special order and fell through not crazy about the color. And that’s a brand new C4 in the background.

Old 26 November 2017, 08:55 AM   #57
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Those are all incredibly beautiful cars, maybe someday I’ll get a new(er) one, but I am in love with the lines of my C4. Not new, but having 46K miles for a 22 year old car isn’t too far off!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F21AEE8E-7026-4D65-A392-32FF4D4C006E.jpeg (138.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 26 November 2017, 10:28 AM   #58
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Those are all incredibly beautiful cars, maybe someday I’ll get a new(er) one, but I am in love with the lines of my C4. Not new, but having 46K miles for a 22 year old car isn’t too far off!

WOW. That’s awesome. Good luck trying to find one with that many miles again. There is a Nissan dealership in town that has a 77 Datsun 280z with less than 100 miles on it and is technically a new car. The happiest I’ve ever been in a car was when I got to ride in my dads best friends C4 ZR1. I still remember it like yesterday. I told myself I’d have a Corvette one day and I did. Getting time for another one too I just hope I can afford one.