The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 November 2017, 01:50 PM   #1
Egelber
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060 2019
Are we becoming rare?

It seems like most every where I go, I tend to look at watches in the wild. Why oh why do I just see the apple or fit bit style watches? And believe me, I live in a fairly upscale area in a northern suburb of DFW. Are most people wearing their luxury watches to the office only? I figured the goods would be out on the weekends, but I don't really see that here.
Egelber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 01:51 PM   #2
Nycturbovr6
"TRF" Member

I agree. It seems like all I see are g shock and apple watches
Nycturbovr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 01:53 PM   #3
Forum-Dweller
Banned

I wish it was more rare because I can't find any stainless steel sports stock anywhere
Forum-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 01:56 PM   #4
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
In the NYC LI area I see a pretty good amount of watches in the wild. Lot a of rolex, a few Panerai here and there. I even see AP and PP from time to time.

I don’t live in an upscale area really (its nice though :), I work in an upscale industry though which is where I see a lot of timepieces. I do see a lot of smart watches as well but I wouldn’t say wearing traditional watches is rare at all.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 01:58 PM   #5
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I had a conversation with an Apple idolater. They were more or less taking the attitude that nothing else is on par. I didn't show them my watch because I don't think they'd be able to wrap their minds around a watch that is equal in value to 50 to 100 of theirs.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 01:59 PM   #6
Canefan1
Banned

There are two types of people WITH money. Those who spend and those who don’t. Trust me.
Canefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 02:01 PM   #7
slillestrand
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona 116509
I flew into John Wayne Airport.....most people on the plane lived there I'd assume.... standing in the isle to get off the plane....I viewed at least 6 Rolex models on wrists....most I've seen in one spot ever.

Scott
slillestrand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 02:02 PM   #8
Tmac478
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Skydweller
I live in the Bay Area and, like you, I'm constantly checking people's wrists. In my business, I interact with alot of techies. The number of apple watches I see is crazy. Not so many mechanical watches.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Tmac478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 02:07 PM   #9
Egelber
"TRF" Member

Good points, but I started this thread because today my mother commented on my 114060, and how nice it looked. I wear it every day, its my only watch. I know she has been wearing her fit bit for over a year now. FYI she is a very active 72 years young. I said how come you don't wear a "Regular Watch?" Her response was, "I don't know, I have a few nice watches in my safety deposit box." That was it, and she smiled.
Old 23 November 2017, 02:18 PM   #10
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
I had a conversation with an Apple idolater. They were more or less taking the attitude that nothing else is on par. I didn't show them my watch because I don't think they'd be able to wrap their minds around a watch that is equal in value to 50 to 100 of theirs.
I’m not sure it’s fair to acuse someone else of being an “idolater” when you have nearly 15,000 Rolex related posts.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 02:29 PM   #11
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
Was on a southwest flight from LA to San Jose a few weeks ago. Guy in front of me had a 16710, guy across the aisle had a DSSD blue, guy in front of him had a Patek Aquanaut.
BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 02:35 PM   #12
machob55
"TRF" Member

Where I work, none of my coworkers wear watches...they are all part of the "look at your phone for the time generation." As far as Rolex, PAM, AP or PP I've only seen a Rolex Airking on my physician's wrist. Never seen anything else in this town.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk
machob55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 02:48 PM   #13
yxc145
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD,JC, BLNR, Ex2
I think 90% of the people cannot afford a watch that's worth half or 1/3 of their cars. 50% of the people don't know how to dress.
Som people just use it to tell time and want a cheap beater watch.

All the different reasons.
yxc145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 03:06 PM   #14
69ways
Banned

I see alot of fakes also in the wild
Ones that the seconds hand ticks away like a spastic snake
69ways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 03:07 PM   #15
mahefa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes
Because Rolexes are expensive. In many western countries people on average cannot save more than 2-5k annually. Would they use that to a watch instead of apartment etc, i would not.
♛Deepsea Blue -17 ♛ Deepsea Blue -19 ♛Deepsea Black ♛Explorer I ♛Explorer II ♛ Explorer 1 ♛GMT-Master II BLNR ♛ Sky-Dweller Blue ♛ Sky-Dweller Black ♛ AirKing ♛ Day-Date 40 Platinum ♛ Daytona C White ♛ Submariner LVc ♛ Two-Tone Submariner ♛ Day-Date 36 ♛ Datejust 41 grey ♛
mahefa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 03:17 PM   #16
Canefan1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahefa View Post
Because Rolexes are expensive. In many western countries people on average cannot save more than 2-5k annually. Would they use that to a watch instead of apartment etc, i would not.
Old 23 November 2017, 03:18 PM   #17
keschete
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
The sad thing that I encounter is that the general public has no knowledge or desire to understand mechanical watches or learn about them. My friends all think I am buying diamond encrusted watches and I am really building a solid collection of sports watches.
Old 23 November 2017, 03:25 PM   #18
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egelber View Post
It seems like most every where I go, I tend to look at watches in the wild. Why oh why do I just see the apple or fit bit style watches? And believe me, I live in a fairly upscale area in a northern suburb of DFW. Are most people wearing their luxury watches to the office only? I figured the goods would be out on the weekends, but I don't really see that here.
Recently started an MBA in the Dallas area. Lots of Rolex, everything from a platinum DD to an Exp 2. One Longines, Breitling, Bell and Ross, and a few Cartier. One guy is a fellow WIS, and has an AP ROO, Daytona C and several other Rolex watches.

I think that in 10 years all you’ll see will be smart watches and luxury mechanical watches. Fashion brands like Michael Kors and Fossil are the ones that are going to be in trouble, imho.
BLACKHORSE 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 03:26 PM   #19
Canefan1
Banned

It all depends on where you live. Where I live I see very few,but 15-20 miles north of me everyone and his sister are wearing luxury watches. Miami/ Ft. Lauderdale/Palm beach Gardens anywhere near the water I’ve never seen so many Rolexes. A lot of money and with all the S. Americans,Central Americans and Europeans calling S Fl home it’s easy to see why.
Old 23 November 2017, 03:28 PM   #20
JUSTIFIED
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Daytona
Tonight I went to dinner w/ 2 of my sons and my brother. We all had on mechanical watches. ;-)

Partially depends on what people are doing. I wear a Fitbit when working out and will keep it on when running errands before/after, but wouldn't wear it to a nice restaurant (or even around the house for that matter...).
JUSTIFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 03:30 PM   #21
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Here's the way I see it. Most of the Apple crowd haven't been wearing anything on their wrists. Now its the apple but it could well evolve into something a bit more familiar to our little band of hold outs.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 03:31 PM   #22
Egelber
"TRF" Member

Yeah, this is very true about that area. I moved from Miami Beach to Prosper, Texas about three months ago. But I still see the trend of smart watches are EVERYWHERE...
Old 23 November 2017, 03:31 PM   #23
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
I have too seen the increase in "smart" watches over the years however as of late i see more non "smart" in the city.

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 03:33 PM   #24
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
OP, I do think that the trend is away from mechanical watches - to be clear, I do NOT think that mechanical watches will disappear, but do think they will become more niche.

Working in the financial district, around 1/3 of the people in the office are wearing Apple Watches - and another 15-20% are wearing no watch. The rest genearally wear Rolexes, Panerais, with a few APs, PPs, ALSs thrown in.

The Apple Watch wearers can generally easily afford a Rolex or equivalent - and they are not all millennials, there are plenty of middle aged, senior folks wearing them also.

What I imply from this is that some people will elect to never buy a mechanical watch; and others who might otherwise have bought 2 or 3 mechanical watches will be happy owning only 1 or 2 as the Apple Watch gets most of the wrist time.

Plenty of people wil still buy mechanical watches, but at the margin, demand will slow
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 03:35 PM   #25
Shamorai
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16523, 116610LV
People must be buying them, Rolex are out of stock it seems!
Shamorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 03:37 PM   #26
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Here's the way I see it. Most of the Apple crowd haven't been wearing anything on their wrists. Now its the apple but it could well evolve into something a bit more familiar to our little band of hold outs.
That doesn’t match what I’ve obvserved. wandering around my office, I’ve seen a lot of people (say 1/4 of the folks on the floor) move from wearing mechanical watches daily to wearing only Apple Watches, Garmins, etc
Old 23 November 2017, 03:38 PM   #27
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Islandboy View Post
OP, I do think that the trend is away from mechanical watches - to be clear, I do NOT think that mechanical watches will disappear, but do think they will become more niche.

Working in the financial district, around 1/3 of the people in the office are wearing Apple Watches - and another 15-20% are wearing no watch. The rest genearally wear Rolexes, Panerais, with a few APs, PPs, ALSs thrown in.

The Apple Watch wearers can generally easily afford a Rolex or equivalent - and they are not all millennials, there are plenty of middle aged, senior folks wearing them also.

What I imply from this is that some people will elect to never buy a mechanical watch; and others who might otherwise have bought 2 or 3 mechanical watches will be happy owning only 1 or 2 as the Apple Watch gets most of the wrist time.

Plenty of people wil still buy mechanical watches, but at the margin, demand will slow
Agreed. At this point, I see more Apple Watches than any other single brand, and they’re not on a specific demographic. Grandmas, office workers, teens, baristas, doctors, athletes, etc. They’re everywhere, and I’m fine with it.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 03:39 PM   #28
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
I have friends who don't wear watches OR carry their phones. They just don't care what time it is. If they have an appointment they carry their phone, if not it's not an issue.
During my working life I could not have functioned without a watch and I feel the same in retirement. If I'm going to wear a watch it may as well be a nice one. Smart watches and FitBits are not attractive to me.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 03:47 PM   #29
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamorai View Post
People must be buying them, Rolex are out of stock it seems!
The stock market is hot and Chinese demand has ramped up again - and Rolex didn’t produce sufficient quantities to address the resultant demand. Let’s see what the Rolex stock situation is like if the markets take a tumble.

If I had to guess, I’d say that Rolex is gradually (emphasis on gradually, ok!!) going to cut production, and raise prices. The last thing the brand would want is a downturn reducing demand and leaving ADs overstocked and discounting aggressively and thereby reducing the perceived value of the brand.
Old 23 November 2017, 03:50 PM   #30
RolexNorth
Banned

Watch: YM2SS,SD43,HULK
The Millenial Generation is graduating university owing $100,000 US plus in student loans that they can't unload through bankruptcy.

They can't afford a downpayment on a house much less a Rolex.

Rolex will still make money by dialling back the supply.
RolexNorth is offline   Reply With Quote