The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 31 May 2023, 10:16 AM   #31
ajw45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
You should be the spokesperson for S1.
Hah, thanks! I'd be crap at it since selfishly part of me wants the S1 to fade into obscurity and depreciate to a market price low enough I can afford another in platinum or gold.... or both :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc000 View Post
Indeed. I'm absolutely a GF fan but I learned more in the past few minutes thant in the previous ten years.
Cool! It took a lot of research to wrap my head around the watch before I could justify the price. For how expensive the watches are, GF doesn't really do much marketing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondtoys View Post
Does this only apply to the mail dial or also to the subdial with the seconds?

Thanks for sharing, very interesting discussion!
Unclear, I don't think I've seen a source that made the distinction. Louping it though it may be a different technique, the hash marks are super fine and the ends are rounded rather than sharply squared like markers of the main dial.

FWIW, I've spotted two special executions, both appear to be part of the 33 in steel, and one piece unique in sapphire which I assume means total production was at least 67. That said, that one in blue is really... specific... so that might be a -1 to production and take us back to 66.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20230530_200246_YouTube-1.jpg (282.9 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20230530_194746_Instagram-1.jpg (161.4 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20230530_194654_Instagram-1.jpg (291.2 KB, 139 views)
ajw45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 08:18 AM   #32
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
What a lovely watch, work of art really. I can see why it's priced that way.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 09:14 AM   #33
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
I'll give my honest 2 cents:

I almost like the concept of owning a wearable 41mm Greubel more than I like the watch itself. However to be honest, all the other bigger Greubels blow the Sig 1 out of the water in sheer finish, complication and awesomeness. Those Greubels look, feel and scream special right off the bet but yes they are BIG. The signature 1 is one of those "look closer watches" that you like the concept of that subtle flex but ultimately get bored.. (wow did I just say that?)

For $200k I find the sig 1 lacking that "special something" it is a 10/10 on finish, 9/10 on wearability but in terms of design and asthetic and iconic good looks - I would say it is a 5/10. That is just me. I've seen the one in stainless steel (truly a stealth wealth piece), liked it but didn't love it. Said another way, it lacks the panty dropping power I desire.

There's my conclusion of the signature 1- like but don't love. A difficult thing to pull the trigger on when spending $150k++ just me.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2023, 02:21 AM   #34
ajw45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearxj86 View Post
I'll give my honest 2 cents:

I almost like the concept of owning a wearable 41mm Greubel more than I like the watch itself. However to be honest, all the other bigger Greubels blow the Sig 1 out of the water in sheer finish, complication and awesomeness. Those Greubels look, feel and scream special right off the bet but yes they are BIG. The signature 1 is one of those "look closer watches" that you like the concept of that subtle flex but ultimately get bored.. (wow did I just say that?)

For $200k I find the sig 1 lacking that "special something" it is a 10/10 on finish, 9/10 on wearability but in terms of design and asthetic and iconic good looks - I would say it is a 5/10. That is just me. I've seen the one in stainless steel (truly a stealth wealth piece), liked it but didn't love it. Said another way, it lacks the panty dropping power I desire.

There's my conclusion of the signature 1- like but don't love. A difficult thing to pull the trigger on when spending $150k++ just me.
LOL, that sounds about right. S1 is not big and shouty, very few people will even notice, and fewer still are watch nerds enough to even know what it is. No panties, no flex, no questions, no compliments, nothing. It is stealth by today's standard, if you want to wear your wallet on your wrist and for people to know it, for the same price you can get the new AP spiderman

S1 is from a more classical, more mature GF that went all the way to the top of the complications mountain and came back down to reinvent the foundations. They did big and shouty, they had their peacock years as a brand, the S1 along with the balancier and eventually the Hand Made 1 were an appreciation for traditional watch making before G&F handed off to Calce and moved into the current phase where everything will be made into a sports watch.
ajw45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2023, 03:28 AM   #35
Cozmopak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw45 View Post
Hah, thanks! I'd be crap at it since selfishly part of me wants the S1 to fade into obscurity and depreciate to a market price low enough I can afford another in platinum or gold.... or both :)

Cool! It took a lot of research to wrap my head around the watch before I could justify the price. For how expensive the watches are, GF doesn't really do much marketing.

Unclear, I don't think I've seen a source that made the distinction. Louping it though it may be a different technique, the hash marks are super fine and the ends are rounded rather than sharply squared like markers of the main dial.

FWIW, I've spotted two special executions, both appear to be part of the 33 in steel, and one piece unique in sapphire which I assume means total production was at least 67. That said, that one in blue is really... specific... so that might be a -1 to production and take us back to 66.
Love that first one with the lumed hands and the golden bridges.
Cozmopak is offline   Reply With Quote